Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is the positive in returning to UK

What is the positive in returning to UK

Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the positive in returning to UK

Originally Posted by Lineabove
Hi not2lod,

I have Eton or Oxford as a first choice but all options would be on the table.

Age may be a factor in finding employment.
Once over the pond, we would be starting at the bottom again.
So you are looking at some of the most expensive aeas in the UK then.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Actually, it's a serious problem that is a major topic of debate at present.

Mail? I would never quote or believe anything in the Mail. THAT is rubbish.

But the BBC is reasonably level, if that better suits you:

Migrants [seeking entry to UK] queue for food handouts in Calais

Migrants making '100 illegal attempts a day' to enter UK

Benefit changes will make UK 'less attractive'

The migrant problem is the main one the people wanted changing at the last election, unfortuneatly it's going to be very difficult, and a number of them will die in the attempt. The French won't really help as they want to get rid of them, so it's up to the British Police and customs to stop them.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The migrant problem is the main one the people wanted changing at the last election, unfortuneatly it's going to be very difficult, and a number of them will die in the attempt. The French won't really help as they want to get rid of them, so it's up to the British Police and customs to stop them.
We should let them in whilst the EU-wide solution is being debated. What's happening in Calais is stain on both France and Britain. The numbers (at Calais) are a drop in the ocean of immigration, and it would give Britain more bargaining power on other European matters.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 4:56 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The UK does not take its fair share of refugees to the EU. We take 15.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, comparing with an EU average of 23.1. Only Germany and Ireland have a worse record. We should certainly relieve the situation at Calais.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:21 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
The UK does not take its fair share of refugees to the EU. We take 15.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, comparing with an EU average of 23.1. Only Germany and Ireland have a worse record. We should certainly relieve the situation at Calais.
Interesting stats. Out of curiosity, do you know what the figure is for Canada?
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Interesting stats. Out of curiosity, do you know what the figure is for Canada?
I just googled it.

The Canadian Council for Refugees claims that Canada has 5 refugees per 1,000. So, Canada's reputation for taking in refugees appears to be deserved.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Editha
I just googled it.

The Canadian Council for Refugees claims that Canada has 5 refugees per 1,000. So, Canada's reputation for taking in refugees appears to be deserved.
However, the Canadian Council for refugees also claims that Sweden, Germany and Austria have better records than Canada, so clearly a different counting system is being used.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:35 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know EU migrants qualified as 'refugees'. Traditionally, refugees are those fleeing conflict zones or tyrannical regimes.

Or has the EU now qualified unemployed EU migrants as eligible for 'refugee' status? If so, we have a few million in Spain who would love to collect UK 'refugee' benefits. Spain doesn't really have much of a benefit program, and for the long-term unemployed, none at all. So, it would really help Spain's unemployment numbers if they could send them all up to Birmingham or something.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by amideislas
I didn't know EU migrants qualified as 'refugees'. Traditionally, refugees are those fleeing conflict zones or tyrannical regimes.

Or has the EU now qualified unemployed EU migrants as eligible for 'refugee' status? If so, we have a few million in Spain who would love to collect UK 'refugee' benefits. Spain doesn't really have much of a benefit program, and for the long-term unemployed, none at all. So, it would really help Spain's unemployment numbers if they could send them all up to Birmingham or something.
What are you talking about?
Old Jun 25th 2015, 5:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Oh, please don't bother. You'll probably start posting pics of Walmart again or displaying your amazing language skills and knowledge of European shopping habits.

The 3,000 people at Calais are not 'EU migrants'. They are migrants to the EU. They are from war-torn places such as Eritrea and Syria. They include women and children and they are living in miserable conditions, having gone through all kinds of hell to get there, escaping something even worse.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:33 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

If a poster asks a question and they or their story is not familiar to me, I usually go back through their old posts. Helps me understand their situation better. Anyway, the OP first posted about going back to the UK in 2013. So I think we could say it's not a whim.

More worrisome to me is he hasn't said if his wife is British or EU. Someone in this thread already mentioned to him that she may need a visa but I don't believe he answered this. Since he's been in Canada as long as he has, I'm thinking she's probably not British.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:16 pm
England is "home"

Lineabove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How do you know it would be tragic? If you have a crystal ball, perhaps you could let me know what's in store for me

I'm always impressed when people are willing and eager for change at any stage of life, and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP is an intelligent adult who can think for himself.

He's asking questions, presumably because he's exploring the idea. If he decides it will be a mistake, no doubt he won't come.

To answer the original question: positives for me are beautiful countryside, lots of arts and culture even in small towns, great pubs, friendly people, lots of laughs, feeling like I belong, a sense of history everywhere, lots of interesting things to do and see within a short drive, the NHS, generally intelligent, well-informed people, the BBC, relatively sane politics (I came from the US!), temperate climate, ... the list goes on and on.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Thank you for your kind words.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:28 pm
England is "home"

Originally Posted by carolearly
Hello Lineabove

First of all whatever your reasoning for returning to the Uk, I applaud your thinking to make a change after all those years. Its never too late, go with your heart, and your intuition.

I have lived abroad in EU, for 9 years, and myself and hubby are making the move back to UK, at the beginning of August. It wont be easy as we sold up, to come here, but we never do easy !! I have a job of sorts as a carer for my aunt which starts mid August. Not my ideal choice of work, but I am willing to do it, to get some funds. I have loved living abroad, but my roots are calling me back, and I have felt this way for about 18 months. I am not going back wearing rose tinted glasses, indeed I have been back and forth about 5 times during the last few months, and much has changed. But it is my home, and I love it warts and all. I will shed a few tears leaving here, but I have embraced living abroad for 9 years, with all its challenges and frustrations.

So good luck to you my friend, do what your heart tells you, and it will work out.

Tara
Carol
I like the comment about "warts and all".
No country is perfect and I expect issues.
But the "issues" will be different and I find that exciting.

Thank you for your comments.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 11:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How do you know it would be tragic? If you have a crystal ball, perhaps you could let me know what's in store for me

I'm always impressed when people are willing and eager for change at any stage of life, and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP is an intelligent adult who can think for himself.
I don't have a crystal ball, but the OP (who may well be a clockwork troll) seems to be slightly unusual. He left the UK he says as a baby/toddler 58 years ago, has never been back but has never bothered to get Canadian citizenship. Credible so far? Not very IMHO.

BTW, I retire in 5 days and three days after that will leave for a country which doesn't speak English and in which I've never lived before. I hear you about adventurous wrinklies.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 12:31 am
England is "home"

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't have a crystal ball, but the OP (who may well be a clockwork troll) seems to be slightly unusual. He left the UK he says as a baby/toddler 58 years ago, has never been back but has never bothered to get Canadian citizenship. Credible so far? Not very IMHO.

BTW, I retire in 5 days and three days after that will leave for a country which doesn't speak English and in which I've never lived before. I hear you about adventurous wrinkles.

I accept the "slightly unusual".
Yes, I left as a baby 58 years ago,.
Yes I have never applied for Canadian citizenship. (I do have personal reasons).
Yes I wish to return to England and I will be leaving in October.

I wish you best on your adventure.
We all need some excitement / adventure in life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.