Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I don't understand why you think that headline is negative. Surely it's a positive that an insurance company is paying out due to flood damage? The floods themselves were a negative event, but reporting on them was important. An insurance company paying out after the damage is a positive.

I think some people just like to see negativity when it really isn't there.

It was in the BUSINESS SECTION as previously stated! Where BUSINESS PEOPLE look for BUSINESS news. In this case Corporate Results.

How can paying out 120 million be good news. The claimants could have claimed 1.2 billion for all we know, and only got 10% of the amount claimed.

There was available content - Aviva had gone through a massive turnaround to make 2 billion in profit as opposed to an almost equal amount of losses but could the paper lead with that? NO!

The media other than the FT obviously, but particularly the BBC, hate the idea of businesses making money and love the idea of losses - you haven't noticed. They also love the idea of bonuses as they can agitate the population by endlessly mentioning them. If Tesco screw up with their overseas ventures, it's Oh Glory!!!!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 8th 2014 at 10:08 am. Reason: The media hate the idea of businesses making money and love the idea of losses
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Pension age was 60, now it's 65 (for me), it may have been several years ago, but it was still sudden when you're planning for a future that includes a pension.
Sorry, for some reason I thought you we're male. That makes a bit more sense.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Sorry, for some reason I thought you we're male. That makes a bit more sense.
When pension age first came up, and it was a severe negative, the penny dropped for me.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
When pension age first came up, and it was a severe negative, the penny dropped for me.
What do you mean by..and it was a severe negative
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
What do you mean by..and it was a severe negative
Harvester's state pension age had been raised, causing hardship.

I guess some would say that pension reform makes the UK crap, because some will have seen a significant windfall since reform started about eight odd years ago and the contribution requirement became 30 years (now 35) and there was the option to pay self-employed class 2 conts with time to pay, while others have seen their pension date disappear back over the horizon.

Plus, there will be the unified pension come 6th April 2016 ?? and that is dramatically higher than the amount I am due to receive just two weeks earlier than that on my pension date. We have to wait and see what is in the offing when they come up with the transitional arrangements next Autumn 2015 to counter this issue for those already pensioners at that point.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 8th 2014 at 11:10 am. Reason: I guess some would say that pension reform makes the UK crap,
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised women's pension age wasn't increased years ago, considering they live longer than us men.

[Probably alienated 50% of BE members in one post]
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:10 am
Yo

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm surprised women's pension age wasn't increased years ago, considering they live longer than us men.

[Probably alienated 50% of BE members in one post]
And for the married women they are able to rely on husbands income too. It is a bit odd.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 61 now, and my state pension, that for most of my adult life I expected to receive at 60, has been deferred until I'm 62 and six months. But, I'm still getting it two and a half years earlier than a man. I can't see that I have anything to complain about. It is certainly not a reason to say that Britain is crap.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm 61 now, and my state pension, that for most of my adult life I expected to receive at 60, has been deferred until I'm 62 and six months. But, I'm still getting it two and a half years earlier than a man. I can't see that I have anything to complain about. It is certainly not a reason to say that Britain is crap.
The increase in pension age for women does accelerate quite rapidly though... my eldest sister is 60 (turned 60 last September). She is not really much younger than you (a matter of months) and she also, for most of her adult life, expected to receive her pension at 60. However, she will have to wait until she is 64 years and 5 months - so pretty much 65.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The changes to a woman's State retirement date were the result of sex equality rulings twenty years ago from the European commission.

NOT the UK

Simultaneously, the amount that a man could receive from a private pension was reduced with immediate effect.

The change was announced in May 1995 to be phased in over an eight year period from 2010.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 3:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
The increase in pension age for women does accelerate quite rapidly though... my eldest sister is 60 (turned 60 last September). She is not really much younger than you (a matter of months) and she also, for most of her adult life, expected to receive her pension at 60. However, she will have to wait until she is 64 years and 5 months - so pretty much 65.
I agree. My sister-in-law is in the same position. I was surprised at how much later she gets her pension when she is only two years younger than I am.

Nevertheless, I still can't see that there is much to complain about. It is not as if women have paid higher contributions to get the earlier pension.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:02 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I agree. My sister-in-law is in the same position. I was surprised at how much later she gets her pension when she is only two years younger than I am.

Nevertheless, I still can't see that there is much to complain about. It is not as if women have paid higher contributions to get the earlier pension.
The biggest joke of all is that my wife, who is Canadian and has never worked in the UK or contributed to the state pension scheme, gets 60% of what I get !
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
The biggest joke of all is that my wife, who is Canadian and has never worked in the UK or contributed to the state pension scheme, gets 60% of what I get !
Never really thought about that:

The Brits who got it never had to work or contribute anything either.

considered here (FORE!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ntitlement.pdf

soon to be taken away, prospectively!

'If the current arrangements were left in place, as is already evident in the case of married men, the majority of those benefiting in the future are likely
to be people living overseas with little or no connection to the UK who happen to be married or in a civil partnership with someone with a UK contribution record. The Government’s view is that this expenditure is better directed at improving the pension outcomes of people – particularly women – in the UK through the single-tier pension. '

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 8th 2014 at 4:19 pm. Reason: 'If the current arrangements were left in place, as is
Old Mar 8th 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I have no first hand experience of these poo trees to be honest but others seemingly have to regularly dodge them on a daily basis.
Also never seen a poo tree.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I totally agree, why go through life looking at the negative side of things? Surely it is better even for your own state of mind to be positive, look for the good?
I don't get it You're the one who started this thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.