Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Thanks - I am checking with 'er Indoors, who actually does the banking. But that is what she always tells me.

Unless she is spending it on handbags??????
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Thanks - I am checking with 'er Indoors, who actually does the banking. But that is what she always tells me.

Unless she is spending it on handbags??????
Stick your postcode in here and it will tell you what band it is in.. you can then easily check the cost for that band in your council area...
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you I have found it. and have found the council tax bill from the council. The two are nothing like the same. The wife has exaggerated, but not by much. The amount of the bill is nearly 50 percent more than the websearch!
I think we will be having a conversation. I am looking at bold ones, and it is nearly ten years since we paid the amount the web says is now due!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you I have found it. and have found the council tax bill from the council. The two are nothing like the same. The wife has exaggerated, but not by much. The amount of the bill is nearly 50 percent more than the websearch!
I think we will be having a conversation. I am looking at bold ones, and it is nearly ten years since we paid the amount the web says is now due!
Your council tax bill is usually spread over 10 monthly payments, whereas what you might be seeing online is likely to be the annual charge - does that account for some of the discrepancy?

http://council-tax-rates.com/index.php/rates-by-council

That list is pretty much bang on for my council tax in East Dorset... is that the one you are looking at for your council which differs from the amount on your bill?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by dunroving
15 USD/month? Are you in Hicksville? I paid about $100/month and that was cheap. There are places in the US where property tax is 10 times that.

Yep. Our housing tax (ie. council tax) on our very modest 3 bedroomed house in New Jersey is a whopping US 14,500 per annum/US$1208 per month or at the exchange rate today on xe.com is 722 Pounds per month.... In the US it is the usual custom to pay the housing tax with the mortgage. Most of the homes in our neighbourhood pay a lot more - I've seen property listings with annual council tax bills of $60,000 + (I think the Wall St bankers and heart surgeons live in those houses).

OK for 'sticker shock' look at the housing taxes in our township:

The cheapest property for sale currently on the multiple listing service (which all the realtors use). This house seems to need major renovation or will be torn down and a new property built on the site:

http://www2.gsmls.com/publicsite/pro...&sysid=3115380 Asking price $459,000. Housing tax per annum $8712. If the house is renovated then the tax will increase.

http://www2.gsmls.com/publicsite/pro...&sysid=3116813 Asking price $7,599,000. Housing tax per annum: $152,786)

However.....we do get the rubbish collected every Monday and Thursday (although they tend to dump the empty bins sticking out into the street - there are no sidewalks/pavements) and the township (Millburn/Short Hills) has one of the best public (ie. state) schools in NJ....my son left High School a few years ago. We do have a full-time fire service unlike many American towns which have volunteers.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yep. Our housing tax (ie. council tax) on our very modest 3 bedroomed house in New Jersey is a whopping US 14,500 per annum/US$1208 per month or at the exchange rate today on xe.com is 722 Pounds per month.... In the US it is the usual custom to pay the housing tax with the mortgage. Most of the homes in our neighbourhood pay a lot more - I've seen property listings with annual council tax bills of $60,000 + (I think the Wall St bankers and heart surgeons live in those houses).

OK for 'sticker shock' look at the housing taxes in our township:

The cheapest property for sale currently on the multiple listing service (which all the realtors use). This house seems to need major renovation or will be torn down and a new property built on the site:

http://www2.gsmls.com/publicsite/pro...&sysid=3115380 Asking price $459,000. Housing tax per annum $8712. If the house is renovated then the tax will increase.

http://www2.gsmls.com/publicsite/pro...&sysid=3116813 Asking price $7,599,000. Housing tax per annum: $152,786)

However.....we do get the rubbish collected every Monday and Thursday (although they tend to dump the empty bins sticking out into the street - there are no sidewalks/pavements) and the township (Millburn/Short Hills) has one of the best public (ie. state) schools in NJ....my son left High School a few years ago. We do have a full-time fire service unlike many American towns which have volunteers.
- honestly, you just can't get good help these days, can you?

It was your previous posts and others from NJ that made me think of this.

I pay about the same per year as you pay per month. It almost makes it worthwhile that they are switching to a once-a-month bin collection.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by dunroving
- honestly, you just can't get good help these days, can you?

It was your previous posts and others from NJ that made me think of this.

I pay about the same per year as you pay per month. It almost makes it worthwhile that they are switching to a once-a-month bin collection.
TBH I just want to get rid that that damn house. However my spouse is now working in Switzerland and gave up his green card - so when we tried to re-finance to get a lower mortgage rate the bank wouldn't allow it and as a 'trailing spouse' I'm not able to re-finance either. Our son is living there and would be homeless if we sell it - he is in his early 20's and saving as hard as he can for a deposit on his own place eventually. We may be leaving Switzerland in about 16 months and who knows where we will end up, so will have a big re-think on what we will do with the house.

On the bright side, the next township over from ours (Maplewood & South Orange) has even higher housing taxes than our town - they have no industry or shopping complexes to help bring the rateables down, whereas there is a large shopping mall in our town.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

We pay nearly 400 pounds a month council tax on our house in the South East. There is no street lighting, no pavement, rubbish is only "collected" once a fortnight (that which is not littered down the road as they depart).

Sewerage is a separate charge, and levied by the water authorities.

The roads are full of potholes, and in ten years I have never seen a street cleaner nor a police officer other than in a car going flat out through the village.

A local paper recently published that nearly twenty five percent of council tax is used to pay council pensions. The current chief executive gets 200 thousand a year basic (plus bonuses) and the last one got paid over half a million for just one years work. The library however is now closed two days a week, and the leisure centre has nearly doubled its already extortionate charges.

I, for one, bitterly begrudge the money extorted from me in council tax.
I can never understand why those who award themselves excessive salaries from the public purse are not held accountable in some way. Gravy train comes to mind.

Council/property taxes, whatever you pay, should be about value of return for what you pay.

This expenditure I just find incredulous..........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...nt-garden.html
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:42 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

We pay nearly 400 pounds a month council tax on our house in the South East. There is no street lighting, no pavement, rubbish is only "collected" once a fortnight (that which is not littered down the road as they depart).

Sewerage is a separate charge, and levied by the water authorities.

The roads are full of potholes, and in ten years I have never seen a street cleaner nor a police officer other than in a car going flat out through the village.

A local paper recently published that nearly twenty five percent of council tax is used to pay council pensions. The current chief executive gets 200 thousand a year basic (plus bonuses) and the last one got paid over half a million for just one years work. The library however is now closed two days a week, and the leisure centre has nearly doubled its already extortionate charges.

I, for one, bitterly begrudge the money extorted from me in council tax.
Ours is about £110 a month for a big house with land (including tv license), we have a street light right by the side of the house - great for late night trips to the loo (that's inside, not out - the street light makes a lovely nightlight and it's white too not that sodium yellow rubbish), the rubbish and recycling is collected once a week, the verges are trimmed twice a year, there are no potholes in the road (only in our drive), the snowplough comes out on day 2 of snow at the latest and comes down our drive too, we can see a doctor next day and he'll spend up to an hour with you, the village nurse sees my mother every day for no charge and all my mothers health care is free as she has diabetes, we got a consultant appointment at the hospital for hubby the next day, the sapeur pompiers (bless 'em, volunteer fire/paramedics) can get here in ten minutes, get to someone to hospital in 15 minutes, and come out to check up if we're snowed in, most parking is free, and what is charged is laughably small, no cctv cameras, I can take the dog for a walk and not meet a single person and hardly cross any roads, traffic is light, no air traffic overhead, no motorways or rail within earshot - I can hear the birds and see the stars, and in the 10 years I've been here I know of one crime in the vicinity, a burglary. Oh, and ADSL in the middle of nowhere, and they're just rolling out the fibre optics.
That's what makes Britain crap.

Last edited by Harvester523; Feb 20th 2014 at 8:08 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Ours is about £110 a month for a big house with land (including tv license), we have a street light right by the side of the house - great for late night trips to the loo (that's inside, not out - the street light makes a lovely nightlight and it's white too not that sodium yellow rubbish), the rubbish and recycling is collected once a week, the verges are trimmed twice a year, there are no potholes in the road (only in our drive), the snowplough comes out on day 2 of snow at the latest and comes down our drive too, we can see a doctor next day and he'll spend up to an hour with you, the village nurse sees my mother every day for no charge and all my mothers health care is free as she has diabetes, we got a consultant appointment at the hospital for hubby the next day, the sapeur pompiers (bless 'em, volunteer fire/paramedics) can get here in ten minutes, get to someone to hospital in 15 minutes, and come out to check up if we're snowed in, most parking is free, and what is charged is laughably small, no cctv cameras, I can take the dog for a walk and not meet a single person and hardly cross any roads, traffic is light, no air traffic overhead, no motorways or rail within earshot - I can hear the birds and see the stars, and in the 10 years I've been here I know of one crime in the vicinity, a burglary. Oh, and ADSL in the middle of nowhere, and they're just rolling out the fibre optics.
Sounds very much like where we live
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

- "If I can't have it why should he" attitude eg EU immigration - the solution to the fact that someone else CAN bring their wife and kids to the UK and work here but you can't is NOT to stop them from doing it too!
Dog-Poo
- A 60% effective top tax rate, not even placed at the top of the earnings scale but part way through it
- BBC News channel
- The fact you can't get BBC World News unless you put up a dish and point it to a "foreign" satellite
- Bankrupt pension system with no ability to cope with the decreasing working-age to non-working age population
- Pedestrians who walk on cycle tracks and then get angry if you ring a bell or pass them at speed
- An inability to welcome immigration as a way to bring in more taxpayers/NI contributors and thus aleviate the pension problem
- A lack of choice regarding the NHS, Schooling. The "if he can't have it attitude" strikes again in that it is impossible to upgrade what you get without simply throwing it away and paying a second time.
- The idea that any law passed through parliament cannot be "illegal", the lack of a consitution and to some extent the use of common law instead of civil law
- Jus solis instead of jus sanguinis
- A hatred of things that once made us great: the European Convention of Human Rights, railways
- A lack of consideration for others (or an expectation of consideration which seems backwards). This goes well beyond just the Chavs and is indeginous in the general population (noisy neighbours: "why shouldn't I be able to play music loud at 9:30pm on my Birthday?"/"It's OK, he's having a party so put up with the noise", pedestrians on cycle paths: "slow down there may be pedestrians about", those who leave dog-poo: "teach your kids to avoid it")
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:54 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
- TV License? we're the only country in the world that does this
False. Many countries have a similar arrangement.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

People that moan about Britain when in reality they don't know just how well off they are!
Old Feb 28th 2014, 11:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Nicely said, and true in the country, but not quite the same in the cities.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
People that moan about Britain when in reality they don't know just how well off they are!
Well said!

Been living in a developing country for ten years now.
My wife taught me how to save and become less materialistic.
Many things I took for granted do not exist here.
I remember complaining but now think of all the great things I truly miss aabout the uk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.