Welfare State Britain

Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare State Britain

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
In 4 short months, or thereabouts, E.D., who never worked in UK, has managed to obtain housing benefits, money enough to pay for groceries plus has the luxury of broadband and a mobile phone.
Seems like she has done pretty well for herself all things considered.
A little show of gratitude now and again might not raise hackles so much.
A little compassion wouldn't go amiss.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574910
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
A little compassion wouldn't go amiss.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574910
Oh come on! Who needs compassion when you're getting all those benefits!! I'm sorry, i know i said i would stay quiet but she gets more than us and my husband works 40 hours a week!!!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessiree
Oh come on! Who needs compassion when you're getting all those benefits!! I'm sorry, i know i said i would stay quiet but she gets more than us and my husband works 40 hours a week!!!!!!
This part of BE is supposed to be for the support of people trying to, who want to, or who have, returned to the UK. You're picking on an easy target rather than address the real problem we've been talking about on this thread, namely lifetime benefits scroungers.

Just because you think you have it worse than someone else doesn't justify kicking them while they are genuinely trying NOT to be on benefits.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are overstating the situation, and reading into it what you want.

The email you replied to was simply stating that she was surprised no-one told her she could get free meds or buy a certificate (which everyone is entitled to, whether you like it or not). If you bothered to read most of her posts since coming back, you'd realise she is not a scrounger or whiner, in contrast to the genuine spongers. Read her posts in the 50's thread - she's been busting her ass trying to get work, and has more gumption in her little finger than any of the real benefit spongers in this place. She's broke, and her husband is 1,000's of miles away. Quit picking on her!

What is the "X" years in your book, that gives someone the right to moan? You were away for 4 years - how would you feel if that was my idea of "X" years and told you to quit your whining because you don't have the right?

I gotta tell you, you are completely off-target here ... you should direct your sanctimonous, self-righteous attitude and point it at someone that deserves it (maybe go outside and yell at the neds in the street).

You're taking your pissed off attitude about the system and taking it out on someone who does not fit the profile of the kind of people you're pissed off at - in my opinion.
Good for you dunroving, totaly agree with all your comments about Easterndawn, she deserves NO criticism from anyone back home whatsoever,
she is entitled to any help that the UK gives to any other UK citizen, simply because she IS a UK citizen, and further more if this dessiree character whos sitting back judjing all us expats stops and actually thinks a little she would realize that we are not just coming to the country like all the illegal indians & pakistanis & all the rest who dont even bother to try find work but just go straight on welfare, these are the people that this woman should be moaning about, certainly not hard working people like Easterndawn who is disparately every day trying to find work of any kind so she can support herself and later bring out her husband & Dogs, does this woman know that Easterndawn put out 15 cv's in one week alone and same week joined two employment agencies, and any little help that we get from OUR GOVERNMENT in the UK for us it is only very temporary because thats the kind of people we are, expats who have lived at least half of our adult life like me in countries like USA and Canada where we are the hardest workers there are because we have to work hard to make it, and we dont get 5 or 6 weeks holiday a year like all the pampered british workers, we only get one or two weeks and for that we have to be at the same company for at least three years, anyway Dunroving again good on ya,
Rodney.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Good for you dunroving, totaly agree with all your comments about Easterndawn, she deserves NO criticism from anyone back home whatsoever,
she is entitled to any help that the UK gives to any other UK citizen, simply because she IS a UK citizen, and further more if this dessiree character whos sitting back judjing all us expats stops and actually thinks a little she would realize that we are not just coming to the country like all the illegal indians & pakistanis & all the rest who dont even bother to try find work but just go straight on welfare, these are the people that this woman should be moaning about, certainly not hard working people like Easterndawn who is disparately every day trying to find work of any kind so she can support herself and later bring out her husband & Dogs, does this woman know that Easterndawn put out 15 cv's in one week alone and same week joined two employment agencies, and any little help that we get from OUR GOVERNMENT in the UK for us it is only very temporary because thats the kind of people we are, expats who have lived at least half of our adult life like me in countries like USA and Canada where we are the hardest workers there are because we have to work hard to make it, and we dont get 5 or 6 weeks holiday a year like all the pampered british workers, we only get one or two weeks and for that we have to be at the same company for at least three years, anyway Dunroving again good on ya,
Rodney.
15 cv's in one week is nothing!!!!! When we relocated we did much more than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

If you and your husband and child (avatar pic) are existing on less than £123.00 per week like ED and are British as is she, then you really need to go and check in with your benefits office and claim your entitlement like your EU colleagues.

Migrants from all over the EU are getting far more. Never mind, they or their parents or grand-parents paid nothing into the system EVER EVER EVER...........

At least with ED she is British, she was emigrated to Canada as a child who had no say in the matter. Do you know anything about her and her circumstances, how many years her parents, grandparents and other forebears worked and paid taxes?

What is that saying about not judging people who have not walked in their shoes?

This lady who is trying so hard to find a job and make a living is not some bloody EU/Iraqi/Egyptian/Somalian/Afghani/whatever migrant trying to get here from France in a truck or via the Eurotunnel, she is BRITISH!!!

Do you have ANY idea of how it feels to live in another country where you don't want to live and are TRAPPED by life's circumstances?

NO??

I didn't think so..........
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think it's great that people have these expectations of support. The rest of the world could learn a thing or seven from what is generally a fantastic system even if it is abused by some.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

jobolton is an unknown quantity at this point

This part of BE is supposed to be for the support of people trying to, who want to, or who have, returned to the UK. You're picking on an easy target rather than address the real problem we've been talking about on this thread, namely lifetime benefits scroungers.

Just because you think you have it worse than someone else doesn't justify kicking them while they are genuinely trying NOT to be on benefits.
** Well said that man....your postings along with Ed's (Dawn) & Beedubya (Barbara) are invaluable to those of us still 1,000s of miles from home etc
All some of us have are the online newspapers/radio etc. So people who are back in the UK are a real plus. Keep up the postings Dunrovin!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:51 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Rodney.
I am afraid I have to take issue with your choice of nationalities.

Firstly I think that you will find most of the illiegal immigrants these days are from Eastern Europe and not India or Pakistan.

Secondly, in the 60's and 70's when the biggest influx of Indians and Pakistanis came to the UK, many of them were very hard working, set up their own businesses from scratch with little money, and worked their way through education to become well regarded businessmen/woman and professionals.

By the way I am not Indian or Pakistani but have a respect for the work ethic and attitude towards education.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:52 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

15 cv's in one week is nothing!!!!! When we relocated we did much more than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
..... and when we were young we lived in a shoe box in middle't road!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:53 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

With that kind of comment i would say that it is you that is the idiot......
I hate it when people get abusive on this forum.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:56 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

I have to agree with this. I have read many of ED threads/contributions on the over 50's thread. She could teach a few dole scroungers a thing or two about how the system is supposed to be used (ie to help you when you are down through no fault of your own, while you GENUINELY try to find work for yourself).
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:08 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I think you are overstating the situation, and reading into it what you want.

The email you replied to was simply stating that she was surprised no-one told her she could get free meds or buy a certificate (which everyone is entitled to, whether you like it or not). If you bothered to read most of her posts since coming back, you'd realise she is not a scrounger or whiner, in contrast to the genuine spongers. Read her posts in the 50's thread - she's been busting her ass trying to get work, and has more gumption in her little finger than any of the real benefit spongers in this place. She's broke, and her husband is 1,000's of miles away. Quit picking on her!

What is the "X" years in your book, that gives someone the right to moan? You were away for 4 years - how would you feel if that was my idea of "X" years and told you to quit your whining because you don't have the right?

I gotta tell you, you are completely off-target here ... you should direct your sanctimonous, self-righteous attitude and point it at someone that deserves it (maybe go outside and yell at the neds in the street).

You're taking your pissed off attitude about the system and taking it out on someone who does not fit the profile of the kind of people you're pissed off at - in my opinion.
Here, here! I second all of the above. Poor Easterdawn is doing a full time job looking for a full time job. Total respect to her. She really does not deserve any of this mud being thrown at her. Dunroving is right and you should read her posts to know who she is and where she is coming from.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:19 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I am afraid I have to take issue with your choice of nationalities.

Firstly I think that you will find most of the illiegal immigrants these days are from Eastern Europe and not India or Pakistan.

Secondly, in the 60's and 70's when the biggest influx of Indians and Pakistanis came to the UK, many of them were very hard working, set up their own businesses from scratch with little money, and worked their way through education to become well regarded businessmen/woman and professionals.

By the way I am not Indian or Pakistani but have a respect for the work ethic and attitude towards education.
Thank you for pointing this out My Meldrew. My mum is Indian and came to Britain in the late 60s. She was a trained nurse and worked her butt off for 30 years as a night sister on maternity. She now looks after most of the old dears on her street (voluntarily because she loves them) who have a very fond taste for samosas and daal! My toes curl when people use race when describing 'spongers'. I think people who screw the system come in all different colours. My Dad's very WHITE family were the biggest welfare recipients in the bloody north!

Last edited by lilybilly101; Jan 26th 2010 at 11:22 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:24 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I have to agree with this. I have read many of ED threads/contributions on the over 50's thread. She could teach a few dole scroungers a thing or two about how the system is supposed to be used (ie to help you when you are down through no fault of your own, while you GENUINELY try to find work for yourself).
Exactly. Desiree was a martyr when she returned to the UK and refused any benefits for the good of the people clearly. Give me a break.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.