Welfare State Britain

Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare State Britain

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Ok, I'm up and had my coffee, it's the weekend and I am firmly back in 'Grumpy old Men' mode (it's what I do best!).

I have enjoyed the 'Nanny State Britain' thread and thought I woujld go another step with this one.

The UK Welfare State was initially put into place in order for the majority to help look after the minority who, through no fault of their own, needed financial and other assistance to help them lead, at least, a reasonable existence.

Fair do's

Now I know (at least I think I do) that on the whole being on benefits does not give you a lavish and luxurious lifestyle.

I also (think I) know that there are many (maybe a majority of?) people who would rather not be on benefits, and that there are many problems with being on benefits, including the effects it has on ones morale. This rant is not aimed at such people

Is it me, or does it now seem that the whole thing has got out of hand.

There seem to be a section of people, even 2nd generation now living their whole life on benefits by choice as it is easier than working.

I know of at least one family whose father (unmarried, in his late fifties) has never worked since the 1970's (well not legally) and has his house, his car and his income provided for by the taxpayer. His daughter, a single mother, has a flat, furniture and income paid for her. His Mum has not worked since her late 40's and bought her council house with the benefits she was given. Her house is now worth around £125k and she never paid a penny for it.

On the other hand, if you work hard to earn a crust, buy your own house, and provide your own savings for your retirement, as well as paying your own pension fund, unless this is all used up, you cannot claim a thing.

Doesn't seem fair and right to me. Or am I seeing it wrong?

Rant over.

What do you think?
I agree with you 100% when my daughter was at school and 16yrs she told me a girl in her school (who was'nt getting on with her mother at the time) told her she was going to get pregnant, That way she would get her flat and furniture plus her benefits. Well she got pregnant and her flat, pram, benefits furniture . She left school goes out clubbing while her mother babysits. She is only one example. People I know on benefits can afford holidays, clothes, cars, give their kids more than I could and I was working. I know people who are third generation, who live on benefits, and seem to have a better time than me. Of course its gone too far, they have made a system where it pays to have a baby and not marry, and not work, and unfortunately those babies will grow up in this culture
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I have read this thread and cannot understand how anyone can save money or even make the ends meet. I am a single woman who is trying desperately to find a job, although I am a educated person with a University degree and send out 10 to 15 CV's per week, have my CV with many employment agencies, willing to take any job, unfortunately because I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees, hips and ankles and cannot take a position that would mean that I had to spend many hours on my feet. I receive £65.00 per week for housing benefit, and £58.00 per week for Jobseekers benefit. From that I pay $90.00 per week for rent. £28.00 for broadband and mobile phone per month, £16.00 per month for prescriptions and the rest is to be used for groceries and bus fare when going to jobcentre and looking for work. I do not smoke, go the pub (not that I wouldn't like to go for a glass of wine once and a while) or gamble I have had to sell some my jewellery to make the ends meet and even then it is difficult.

So tell me how do they do it? For I cannnot understand
they do it because they know the system, and get multiple benefits, I don't know know either, I just know the scivers seem to get all the benefits going and those that really need it don't.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I used to work for Social Security and there were already many generations of "non-workers" with no plans to work. The family names which made us all groan. This was in a run down part of an otherwise wealthy area with plenty of work around.

We all knew of them and their many cash in hand jobs, but trying to prove it was hard. Even now when people get caught, they rarely pay back- so why committ fraud?- errr.... because you get away with it?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
Years ago I used to work for Social Security and there were already many generations of "non-workers" with no plans to work. The family names which made us all groan. This was in a run down part of an otherwise wealthy area with plenty of work around.

We all knew of them and their many cash in hand jobs, but trying to prove it was hard. Even now when people get caught, they rarely pay back- so why committ fraud?- errr.... because you get away with it?
well you know when I was a little girl in the 50's people were ashamed when they were out of work, it was frowned upon and even though it was not their fault they felt ashamed. I don't think that is right either, but they had a concience that people since don't. They ar not bothered if people know they get benefits and live off the state as their full time employment: My daughter lived in a flat, in an area where there were a lot of single mothers. They all got loans of £1000 to help them buy furniture ect: when she asked could she get a loan for a cooker she was told no as she worked. She could'nt get out of the place quick enough, she said all they did was live in each others places go out drinking and drink in their houses. They snubbed her because she declined to join them when they invited her one afternoon, and called her a snob, some went on to get pregnant again so they could move up from a flat to a house this is fact
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you are on benefits, you shouldn't be paying for prescriptions ... and even people earning a wage can buy a 3-month prescription certificate for £13 (or £38 for a 12-month one, in Scotland) that covers all prescriptions for free ... your chemist should have told you this by now. Ask them next time you are there and you'll save yourself some cash:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/M...sts/DH_4049383 (certificate details)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati.../01/30125542/7 (exemptions)

- of course in Wales they are free for everyone.
Wow Dunroving thanks so much for this, I have to go to the doctor today and was wondering how much my multi prescriptions were going to cost.

I have never heard of this and like ED have been paying the full price. Not that I am on any medications much, but just for anti-biotics, etc.

Nobody tells you this stuff.........

Lots of honest people out there on benefits struggling to make ends meet, but lots who have all the fancy trimmings..........how is beyond me too
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
To an extent it's already there. There is a disregard on earnings. Not sure how much it is now. It was never that much, although it was more generous for lone parents.

But it's more beneficial if you can earn enough to take yourself off JSA. You could still get housing benefit, keeping pretty much a third of everything extra at that point.

Many people assume that if they lose their JSA, they lose the Housing Benefit for Rent as well but they can still get some even if the take home pay is more that they were getting in benefits.

You can only be worse off if there is some other expense involved in taking the P/T job.

I'm not up to date on the latest figures but as a rough guide you could be getting £60 JSA plus £60 rent = £120

A part time job of about £80 (take home) and you'd get around £55 in rent money, so £135.

A p/t job paying £120 (take home) and you'd still get around £25-£30 rent money, so £145 or £150.

Not huge gains but maybe it gets your foot back in the door for other work or increased hours.

Job Centre staff have access to a very good computer program that will give a very accurate before/after comparison if benefit recipients want to check what they could still get.

Part of the problem is that some people will look at their £120 or so in benefits and turn their nose up at a job for £200, thinking "I'm only working for £80."

It's kind of understandable, but then the other people who are on £200 would also be working "only for £80"...it's just that they don't think of it in the same way. They don't want to be £80 worse off, while some on JSA don't think £80 extra is enough.
That's a helpful explanation, thanks, I didn't realise that was the situation - but like you said, some people would look at it as working for just £80, rather than a potential stepping stone to a better life.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

An extra £80 per week would be luxurious for me, I have been trying to even get a part time job, but so far unsuccessful. The problem with even taking a 2 week or 6 week position is that I would lose my benefits and it would take me 2 weeks to a month to get them back if the position did not become a fulltime or permanent part time position. With no financial back up this is impossible for me to do.
Originally Posted by dunroving
That's a helpful explanation, thanks, I didn't realise that was the situation - but like you said, some people would look at it as working for just £80, rather than a potential stepping stone to a better life.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

msi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nice

Have worked since I was 16 years old, I never used the NHS until my son was born. We even paid when he was born in the USA.
Im finishing my first career after 22 years in 2015 and already I have another job lined up.
My family have always worked.
I realize that my tax goes towards helping those who have fallen out of work and such but am getting a little cheesed off with paying for someone lifestyle.
I have no problems paying for the unemployed of this country but why cant we pay the minimum to live on
SKY TV, mobile phones broadband and computers, cars and dvd players are not essential items in my opinion.
Food accomodation and heating and clothing. these are essential!!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

If you are fit and able to work,you should only be able to get the dole for say a max of 6 mths,then you get cut off.People would soon get motivated to find work that way and if they did'nt?Tough ****!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by livinginreality
If you are fit and able to work,you should only be able to get the dole for say a max of 6 mths,then you get cut off.People would soon get motivated to find work that way and if they did'nt?Tough ****!
Great in theory, doesnt work in reality. This is because in some areas of the country, there are just no jobs. Entrepreneurs do not want to start up in certains areas for whatever reason and the area becomes deprived of capital. Without capital, there is no growth, and hence high unemployment.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
An extra £80 per week would be luxurious for me, I have been trying to even get a part time job, but so far unsuccessful. The problem with even taking a 2 week or 6 week position is that I would lose my benefits and it would take me 2 weeks to a month to get them back if the position did not become a fulltime or permanent part time position. With no financial back up this is impossible for me to do.
Repeat claims are actually quite quick to get going again.

If you currently get Housing Benefit it can be extended depending on how long you've been on it. For the first month if memory serves.

(the link doesn't seem to take you straight there, so enter Extended Housing Benefit in the search box)

And, of course, if it is part time work you might still get Housing Benefit as I mentioned above. Admittedly there is often a delay between cancelling HB that comes because of JSA/Income Support and awarding HB based on low income, but the Extended HB could take care of that.

There are all sorts of schemes to protect existing benefit positions if someone wants to try working to see how it works out. Ask the advisors at the Job Centre.

As to the earlier comment about nobody telling you this stuff (free prescriptions etc)....they do. It's in the literature issued with benefit claims that a lot of people don't read.

It's also in the leaflets (handily designed for circumstances*) that are on display in the offices and referred to on posters.

Paste from the job centre website.

General information leaflets

In addition to the general information about benefits which is given on the claim forms, there is a range of introductory and general leaflets about the benefits that different groups of people can claim.*

These include:

BC1 - Babies and children

D49 - What to do after a death in England and Wales (available in Welsh as D49 Wales; in Scotland get What to do after a death in Scotland (issued by the Scottish Office) plus D49S Social security supplement)

HC11 - Are you entitled to help with health costs? (Department of Health leaflet)

PC1L - Pension Credit. Pick it up. It’s yours

PEC8 - Changes affecting occupational pensions contracted-out of SERPS

RM1 - Retirement

WK1 - Financial help if you work or are looking for work

WMV1 - Welfare milk and vitamins – A guide for families
(Department of Health leaflet)
IS20 - A guide to Income Support

JSAL5 - Jobseeker’s Allowance – helping you back to work

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 26th 2010 at 3:30 am.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

As to the earlier comment about nobody telling you this stuff (free prescriptions etc)....they do. It's in the literature issued with benefit claims that a lot of people don't read.

That may have been me you are referring to? I am not unemployed so don't go to benefits offices or read their websites.

I was referring to the fact that you could pay for a 3 month "certificate" or whatever it's called to get multi prescriptions at a cheaper rate.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Shandyclover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Perhaps UK should employ a system I heard used in Denmark - by a Danish friend of mine.

Unemployed are given 6 mos to find work - if they are not able to find work themselves, they must retrain in a government sponsered re-training programme with gives them new skills but also is hands-on in approach so they are working. If they fail to do this - they lose their benefits.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
Great in theory, doesnt work in reality. This is because in some areas of the country, there are just no jobs. Entrepreneurs do not want to start up in certains areas for whatever reason and the area becomes deprived of capital. Without capital, there is no growth, and hence high unemployment.
Ok I accept that,but then I'd rather move to an area and have a job than stay and have the dole.Maybe its just me!!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shandyclover
Perhaps UK should employ a system I heard used in Denmark - by a Danish friend of mine.

Unemployed are given 6 mos to find work - if they are not able to find work themselves, they must retrain in a government sponsered re-training programme with gives them new skills but also is hands-on in approach so they are working. If they fail to do this - they lose their benefits.
Now that sounds like a good idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.