Welfare State Britain

Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare State Britain

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That may have been me you are referring to? I am not unemployed so don't go to benefits offices or read their websites.
Apologies Beedubya. It was your comment that prompted me but my comments were intended as more of a general response as the subject of not knowing comes up from time to time.

It comes from frustration from years of experience of being told "How was I supposed to know?" by people holding a booklet that tells them in seconds what they claim not to know about.

You're right about the pre-payment system for prescriptions. I only know about it from the job I was doing in the late 70s. Outside of that, I have never seen anything about them other than the occasional comment here.

Doctors should know though...and if they write multiple prescriptions, who better to inform the patient?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Apologies Beedubya. It was your comment that prompted me but my comments were intended as more of a general response as the subject of not knowing comes up from time to time.

It comes from frustration from years of experience of being told "How was I supposed to know?" by people holding a booklet that tells them in seconds what they claim not to know about.

You're right about the pre-payment system for prescriptions. I only know about it from the job I was doing in the late 70s. Outside of that, I have never seen anything about them other than the occasional comment here.

Doctors should know though...and if they write multiple prescriptions, who better to inform the patient?
Apology accepted Mind you I can't believe I didn't know about it in the 70's either!! Mind you my kids would have got free prescriptions and I rarely go to the doctor anyway.

I was just interested as I am getting into healthy living and some things in this book I am reading are not available over the counter in the UK (but they are in the USA).
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

If you have not lived in UK for many years (since child) and you have never been on any type of social benefits it is difficult to have the knowledge that on a prescription that type of information would be there. As having lived in Canada for most of my adult life and worked in the health care system for over 20 years, it never occurred to me look on the script, even after been asked when picking up my meds, did not know which one I should sign and was worried about signing wrong thing and being charged with fraud. Adverts on T.V. about benefit fraud, make you very worried about making even an honest mistake.
Originally Posted by BristolUK

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jan 26th 2010 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
As having lived in Canada for most of my adult life and worked in the health care system for over 20 years, it never occurred to me look on the script...
Just to clarify...my comment about people not reading the supplied literature was about social security stuff, not prescriptions.

Back in the 70s when I was assessing people for Prescription Exemption at (then) DSS, when people had too much income to qualify, details about the pre-payment/money saving option were sent with the decision. But for that I'd never have known it existed.

From memory the doctor's script had a declaration about being exempt but nothing about pre-paying. I do remember there was another receipt...an FP97 or something? ...and I believe that made mention of it. But the purpose of that receipt was to claim it back. If it wasn't to be claimed back, then it wouldn't be seen.

It's almost like it's a big secret.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
If you have not lived in UK for many years (since child) and you have never been on any type of social benefits it is difficult to have the knowledge that on a prescription that type of information would be there. As having lived in Canada for most of my adult life and worked in the health care system for over 20 years, it never occurred to me look on the script, even after been asked when picking up my meds, did not know which one I should sign and was worried about signing wrong thing and being charged with fraud. Adverts on T.V. about benefit fraud, make you very worried about making even an honest mistake.
If you've lived in canada for most of your adult life, then that would mean you haven't paid a lot of tax into the UK, which also means you shouldn't really be moaning!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessiree
If you've lived in canada for most of your adult life, then that would mean you haven't paid a lot of tax into the UK, which also means you shouldn't really be moaning!
Didn't know you had to pay tax in the UK to moan about it. Talk about Rip-Off Britain!!

Does that mean long-term non-tax-paying welfare beneficiaries also aren't allowed to moan?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Didn't know you had to pay tax in the UK to moan about it. Talk about Rip-Off Britain!!

Does that mean long-term non-tax-paying welfare beneficiaries also aren't allowed to moan?
There are a lot of faults in our system but that doesn't mean that you can justify people who are undeserving of help because of other perhaps worse scenarios, ultimately there are a mulititude of different cases where perhaps people shouldn't be entitled to help.

The whole system is at fault and is far too lax across the board which leads to people such as easterndawn having expectations of help that you certainly wouldn't dream of in most of the other civilised countries in the world.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of faults in our system but that doesn't mean that you can justify people who are undeserving of help because of other perhaps worse scenarios, ultimately there are a mulititude of different cases where perhaps people shouldn't be entitled to help.

The whole system is at fault and is far too lax across the board which leads to people such as easterndawn having expectations of help that you certainly wouldn't dream of in most of the other civilised countries in the world.
I have no idea what your first sentence means.

I understand your second sentence but I really don't know what point you are making - the system is broken/lax, but easterndawn shouldn't complain that she was given bad information?

Complaining is a British pastime, we are the world chamions of complaining, and no-one ever said you have to pay tax to complain ... jeez, give the woman a break. Have you read ANY of her previous posts? Where are you coming from, telling her she has no right to complain because she's been living in Canada?

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't know what point you are trying to make here.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

I have no idea what your first sentence means.

I understand your second sentence but I really don't know what point you are making - the system is broken/lax, but easterndawn shouldn't complain that she was given bad information?

Complaining is a British pastime, we are the world chamions of complaining, and no-one ever said you have to pay tax to complain ... jeez, give the woman a break. Have you read ANY of her previous posts? Where are you coming from, telling her she has no right to complain because she's been living in Canada?

I'm sorry, but I genuinely don't know what point you are trying to make here.
The point i'm trying to make is that she has paid no tax in this country for x amount of years yet comes back here and gets help (and expects it!) and then still moans about it. You would certainly not get this help in other countries. Be grateful for what you get!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:25 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

[B]The whole system is at fault and is far too lax across the board which leads to people such as easterndawn having expectations of help that you certainly wouldn't dream of in most of the other civilised countries in the world.
[/B]

I certainly understand your point of view. It seems a valid one to post on a thread titled Welfare State Britain.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
[/B]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

I certainly understand your point of view. It seems a valid one to post on a thread titled Welfare State Britain.
Glad you understand my point of view. As with most threads on BE they very rarely stick rigidly to the title.......
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:38 pm
Ping-ponger

The point i'm trying to make is that she has paid no tax in this country for x amount of years yet comes back here and gets help (and expects it!) and then still moans about it. You would certainly not get this help in other countries. Be grateful for what you get!

I think you are overstating the situation, and reading into it what you want.

The email you replied to was simply stating that she was surprised no-one told her she could get free meds or buy a certificate (which everyone is entitled to, whether you like it or not). If you bothered to read most of her posts since coming back, you'd realise she is not a scrounger or whiner, in contrast to the genuine spongers. Read her posts in the 50's thread - she's been busting her ass trying to get work, and has more gumption in her little finger than any of the real benefit spongers in this place. She's broke, and her husband is 1,000's of miles away. Quit picking on her!

What is the "X" years in your book, that gives someone the right to moan? You were away for 4 years - how would you feel if that was my idea of "X" years and told you to quit your whining because you don't have the right?

I gotta tell you, you are completely off-target here ... you should direct your sanctimonous, self-righteous attitude and point it at someone that deserves it (maybe go outside and yell at the neds in the street).

You're taking your pissed off attitude about the system and taking it out on someone who does not fit the profile of the kind of people you're pissed off at - in my opinion.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:42 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
You're missing the point too - the "offending" post was not about welfare state Britain, it was a mean-spirited attack on an individual who deosn't deserve it.

And quit screwing up the quotes!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

I think you are overstating the situation, and reading into it what you want.

The email you replied to was simply stating that she was surprised no-one told her she could get free meds or buy a certificate (which everyone is entitled to, whether you like it or not). If you bothered to read most of her posts since coming back, you'd realise she is not a scrounger or whiner, in contrast to the genuine spongers. Read her posts in the 50's thread - she's been busting her ass trying to get work, and has more gumption in her little finger than any of the real benefit spongers in this place. She's broke, and her husband is 1,000's of miles away. Quit picking on her!

What is the "X" years in your book, that gives someone the right to moan? You were away for 4 years - how would you feel if that was my idea of "X" years and told you to quit your whining because you don't have the right?

I gotta tell you, you are completely off-target here ... you should direct your sanctimonous, self-righteous attitude and point it at someone that deserves it (maybe go outside and yell at the neds in the street).

You're taking your pissed off attitude about the system and taking it out on someone who does not fit the profile of the kind of people you're pissed off at - in my opinion.
Yes i was away for 4 years and didn't come back and claim benefit, perhaps thats the difference, and if you've read my previous posts you will see that i was in a far worse position but hey, i didn't come on here to have an argument, just to give my opinion. I just get a bit sick of people who come here expecting everything....getting it.....and still complaining....as it is something i would never do. But i've said my bit and i'm obviously disagreed with but hey we're all entitled to our opinions and mine isn't a popular one so i'm going to shut up now!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:50 pm

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're missing the point too - the "offending" post was not about welfare state Britain, it was a mean-spirited attack on an individual who deosn't deserve it.

And quit screwing up the quotes!!
In 4 short months, or thereabouts, E.D., who never worked in UK, has managed to obtain housing benefits, money enough to pay for groceries plus has the luxury of broadband and a mobile phone.
Seems like she has done pretty well for herself all things considered.
A little show of gratitude now and again might not raise hackles so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.