Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Wikiposts

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Its the ONLY subject not allowed, that did irritate me for a day or two, I know the administrators are firm on that issue Jerseygirl said so, so its a done deal to me...
Could you please show me were I posted that?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:25 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear.

Here's what I think - Fish n' Chips is a good guy. A person who has offered help and support to lots of people, including me, and deserves the benefit of the doubt when he's angry or upset, even if you don't agree with his words or actions in this instance. PMs are a good way to communicate those things - or any time we're upset.

I think what we sometimes forget is that many of us are living with the day-to-day stress of wishing our lives were taking place miles away from where they actually are. And that's quite apart from the additional stressors in each of our lives. So it's not surprising that things get tense sometimes.

If one of those stressors is healthcare, it's hard to be told to shut up about it and that obviously really upset Fish. Healthcare has worried him for a long time and he has spoken movingly about his situation. TT initially told everyone that she had asked for the split, so it's not surprising that he blames her.

I hate to upset anyone so I wish this all hadn't happened, but in my experience on the Internet, any time one or two people try to dictate the terms of the conversation, people always split off. Only Mods get to do that.

Charleygirl, regarding my not posting, I just thought it was best to stay away for a while - the thread is for Brits returning to the UK. So it's natural that it contains discussion about how Britain is better than America, just as it would if the tables were reversed. We wouldn't want to go home if we didn't like it better! I like DDL and others very much, but I just can't keep tiptoeing around and not expressing how I feel, which is the whole reason I came to this site in the first place, and what has kept me sane. (I was about to chip in the other day and then saw you were only allowed to speak if you loved the Queen and not if you thought she was just a handy sop for the American tourists so I didn't.)

My opinions upset people on the thread I used to enjoy. I don't like upsetting people, therefore, here I am. But if all this sniping carries on I might just start talking to myself instead!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 24th 2011 at 12:28 am.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh dear.

Here's what I think - Fish n' Chips is a good guy. A person who has offered help and support to lots of people, including me, and deserves the benefit of the doubt when he's angry or upset, even if you don't agree with his words or actions in this instance. PMs are a good way to communicate those things - or any time we're upset.

I think what we sometimes forget is that many of us are living with the day-to-day stress of wishing our lives were taking place miles away from where they actually are. And that's quite apart from the additional stressors in each of our lives. So it's not surprising that things get tense sometimes.

If one of those stressors is healthcare, it's hard to be told to shut up about it and that obviously really upset Fish. Healthcare has worried him for a long time and he has spoken movingly about his situation. TT initially told everyone that she had asked for the split, so it's not surprising that he blames her.

I hate to upset anyone so I wish this all hadn't happened, but in my experience on the Internet, any time one or two people try to dictate the terms of the conversation, people always split off. Only Mods get to do that.

Charleygirl, regarding my not posting, I just thought it was best to stay away for a while - the thread is for Brits returning to the UK. So it's natural that it contains discussion about how Britain is better than America, just as it would if the tables were reversed. We wouldn't want to go home if we didn't like it better! I like DDL and others very much, but I just can't keep tiptoeing around and not expressing how I feel, which is the whole reason I came to this site in the first place, and what has kept me sane. (I was about to chip in the other day and then saw you were only allowed to speak if you loved the Queen and not if you thought she was just a handy sop for the American tourists so I didn't.)

My opinions upset people on the thread I used to enjoy. I don't like upsetting people, therefore, here I am. But if all this sniping carries on I might just start talking to myself instead!
Very good points

I think if anyone wants a hint as what is to come in these threads we need only look at the title.
Sally is right ,we want to move home ,we like it better there (in many ways )

I am married to a wonderful American ,he shares many of many of my views and had to develop a thick skin (sometimes ) when living in the UK .
Nothing seriously nasty (as I have said before ) just UK/US banter .

Anyway ,this is the way I guess this thread is ,*sometimes* folk will use banter that is not 100% pro America ...its OK ...BREATHE lol !

When My little ones are in bed ,I read all (well most ) of the posts properly ,I have learnt so much from you all -as you know I am a 'baby' of 39 !!!!

F&C has always been on the ball and up to speed ,I am sure NO harm was intended and he has explained his other reasons for speaking up /and sticking up for himself very clearly and fairly .

It is a job ,but IF anyone is still in doubt over what happened please read ALL the posts leading to the split

Thank you all (again) for your advise and experiences
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh dear.

SALLY
I read Charleygirls post before I went to bed last night and almost left a reply very similar to yours Sally. Aren't these supposed to be public discussion groups? I don't see if why one person starts a thread, they should then be able to dictate what can and can't be discussed. If there are Americans in the group that get upset by reading anti-America posts I suggest they go to the USA discussion group and join the pompom wavers there. Or they could pull their head out of the sand and ask themselves if the anti-America comments actually hold water.

By the way ..... your comment about the Queen .... that's two weeks in the tower for you my girl

FISH & CHIPS

Thank you for being so welcoming to me as a newbie on Expat. I'd only just started visiting this forum when all this crap kicked off, but did follow the threads as the argument developed. I think you are owed an apology by those who have come onto this thread and attacked you. Your stick up the arse comment was hucking filarious and I didn't read it as being aimed at anyone in particular. " Experience has taught me that those people who are very defensive often have something to hide." I really enjoy your posts and hope that you will continue to contribute your wealth of knowledge an sense of humor
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have to say ,I am not sure this was aimed at her though ?
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular if I recall correctly - I think the original post may have been doctored or mis-quoted.

I certainly wouldn't have made my joke about that comment if it had been directed at someone on this board, and I was surprised to read my name called out as an example of someone who is turning this thread in the wrong direction.

When the first thread split happened weeks ago, some of us made a few lighthearted tongue in cheek comments, but I have tried to stay away from the continuing soap opera of who said what to whom, so I'm not sure why I have been singled out as someone whose comments are "sad" - I don't recally calling anyone anything nasty.

Anyway, I'm inclined to boycott all three of these threads as I'm tired of the neverending rollercoaster of what should go where and who is upset with whom - plus as I've said before, I can't keep up!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:03 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
By the way ..... your comment about the Queen .... that's two weeks in the tower for you my girl
Damn! Do they still have that rule? I spent half my youth in the tower and it's drafty and has big spiders!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular if I recall correctly - I think the original post may have been doctored or mis-quoted.

I certainly wouldn't have made my joke about that comment if it had been directed at someone on this board, and I was surprised to read my name called out as an example of someone who is turning this thread in the wrong direction.

When the first thread split happened weeks ago, some of us made a few lighthearted tongue in cheek comments, but I have tried to stay away from the continuing soap opera of who said what to whom, so I'm not sure why I have been singled out as someone whose comments are "sad" - I don't recally calling anyone anything nasty.

Anyway, I'm inclined to boycott all three of these threads as I'm tired of the neverending rollercoaster of what should go where and who is upset with whom - plus as I've said before, I can't keep up!
I'll be sorry to see you go from this, and the chit chat thread. I enjoy the humor you bring to the discussion and your insight to living in the UK
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boodles
Thank you, do you come from that part of the UK?
I don't but I used to race motorcycles when I was younger and spent most weekends in those parts. Bath, Bristol, Frome, Minehead, Glastonbury, Wells, Taunton,Torrington etc, etc . My fave part of the world without a doubt.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

SALLY
I read Charleygirls post before I went to bed last night and almost left a reply very similar to yours Sally. Aren't these supposed to be public discussion groups? I don't see if why one person starts a thread, they should then be able to dictate what can and can't be discussed. If there are Americans in the group that get upset by reading anti-America posts I suggest they go to the USA discussion group and join the pompom wavers there. Or they could pull their head out of the sand and ask themselves if the anti-America comments actually hold water.

FISH & CHIPS

Thank you for being so welcoming to me as a newbie on Expat. I'd only just started visiting this forum when all this crap kicked off, but did follow the threads as the argument developed. I think you are owed an apology by those who have come onto this thread and attacked you. Your stick up the arse comment was hucking filarious and I didn't read it as being aimed at anyone in particular. " Experience has taught me that those people who are very defensive often have something to hide." I really enjoy your posts and hope that you will continue to contribute your wealth of knowledge an sense of humor
Agreed there. I found this forum and felt it would be a great place to share thoughts and feelings with fellow Brits, be able to express things that I can't with my friends as they are American and would possibly take offence.

Seems that a certain degree of tiptoeing around is needed for the reason you stated. Can be a bit frustrating when wanting to get something off your chest or get an opinion on something but then knowing if you post what's on your mind there's the likelyhood of incurring the wrath of a few folks.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be sorry to see you go from this, and the chit chat thread. I enjoy the humor you bring to the discussion and your insight to living in the UK
No don't go DR or Fish or Sally or ANYBODY!! We are all adults here and should be able to get along.

It's sad the thread got split up but it did. This is a public forum and we should be able to say what we want unless told not to do so by the Mods or the Owner.

I understood that MBTTUK was somewhere we could talk to other like minded people as for most of us we are unable to do that in real life living in another's country.

It seems to me that a lot of people have lost their sense of humour along the way, I know we all have worries and fears about moving back home, but since when did life have to get so damn serious?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I don't but I used to race motorcycles when I was younger and spent most weekends in those parts. Bath, Bristol, Frome, Minehead, Glastonbury, Wells, Taunton,Torrington etc, etc . My fave part of the world without a doubt.
There's that same town again...............
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:09 am
Finally Home!

I just found myself googling houses for sale in Wells and Frome because of you people!

Stop confusing me

Barb, have you heard anything about the job?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:23 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you GENUINELY interested in the topic of US healthcare (instead of off-topic tittle-tattle ), there's an interesting thread on the US forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701955
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
No don't go DR or Fish or Sally or ANYBODY!! We are all adults here and should be able to get along.

It's sad the thread got split up but it did. This is a public forum and we should be able to say what we want unless told not to do so by the Mods or the Owner.

I understood that MBTTUK was somewhere we could talk to other like minded people as for most of us we are unable to do that in real life living in another's country.

It seems to me that a lot of people have lost their sense of humour along the way, I know we all have worries and fears about moving back home, but since when did life have to get so damn serious?

Very good post!! I personally would be very sad if any of you stopped posting on here. Can we not all just be "grown-ups" and get over it. I know people have made some unfortunate comments and others have had their feelings hurt for no reason, but is this "connection" that we have not worth a little forgiveness? I think it is

Denise (am I 4 or 5 I don't know)
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Could you please show me were I posted that?

I believe it was you that said the US healthcare thread was now on a seperate page, If Im wrong Im sorry, I know you said something that day as regards this subject, again If Im worng Im wrong and I aploigise, I dont have that time to go reading thru all this mess...

To clairify I didn't mean you said it was the only subject not allowed on the 50 60s thread, I just know that the decesion had been made for US Heathcare to have its own thread, I just know you came to the room that day and said something in regards to that matter.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jan 24th 2011 at 5:56 am. Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.