Reluctantly returning to UK....:(

Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:00 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reluctantly returning to UK....:(

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
Been looking into it and because there is a two year qualifying period before I can get any help with rent, childcare, family assistance etc, I am not going to be able to afford to stay here as a single mom. My job pays $50,573 per year. I pay out $200-300 per week on childcare and have the car to pay for out of that.

Now that I am pregnant too (yes you heard me right, bad timing or what!?) I will not be able to cope on my own. So looks like its back to the UK.

Thanks to all of those who have offered their support. This means so much. I wouldn't want to bother you all with my worries though you probably have enough to think about already...hopefully I can come back to oz as soon as possible.
You will be entitled to rent assistance, low wage supplement and childcare support from Centre link on a PR visa earning what you do. Don't let potential poverty colour your decision making. You should think about some counselling (as a couple preferably) to help clarify what you want for your future.
TBH it isn't that surprising he has made this decision, he was very reticent to emmigrate in the first place however he is being unfair not giving it a go after making that commitment.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:35 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I thought these payments were available immediately for PR visa holders. Have you spoken to Centrelink Rachael?
I have spoken to centrelink the most I am entitled to is the $4100 one off baby bonus and about $472 per month whilst I am not working from family assist. The childcare at the moment I am on minimum rate which equates to $7.00 off the whole amount I pay per week.

Without a steady income whilst I am off on maternity leave I cannot afford to rent etc. Will go down to Centrelink. Have had advice from a Centrelink advisor on the telephone.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:37 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Hey Rach, can't tell you how sad I am for you. But northernbird's right, you are entitled to family assistance and rent allowance, and (if you decide to stay here without him) extra for being a lone parent.
Good luck in what you decide, but just remember all you've been through to get here
N xx
I have spoken to family assist and centrelink they state a 2 year qualifying period. I get minimal assistance with childcare at the moment. When I get no wage at all I wont need to send Rhys to nursery as I will be not at work but on maternity leave. I can get the time off work but it is unpaid. Centrelink state I will only get family assistance at $472 per month, that's it no rent assistance. I dont qualify.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:42 am
Here at last!

I have spoken to family assist and centrelink they state a 2 year qualifying period. I get minimal assistance with childcare at the moment. When I get no wage at all I wont need to send Rhys to nursery as I will be not at work but on maternity leave. I can get the time off work but it is unpaid. Centrelink state I will only get family assistance at $472 per month, that's it no rent assistance. I dont qualify.
I obviously need to give all this some thought and look into what I am entitled to a little deeper.
I am staying with my in laws at the moment, who have been more than supportive or our situation. I would like to stay close to them but will have to see. Things may all change with some luck.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are n p.r you are entitled to helpwe get rent assistance and child benefit, also child care allowance, although we opted for the minimum of payments coz we dont want to owe anything when we do our tax return next year, and hopefully we will get a bit of a rebate

Would definately recommend going in to see them, we had to go in a couple of times and hassle them a bit as they took ages to send our paperwork off, and everytime we went in they photocopied our visas coz they kept losing it

Last edited by Margaret3; Nov 1st 2007 at 5:49 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I obviously need to give all this some thought and look into what I am entitled to a little deeper.
I am staying with my in laws at the moment, who have been more than supportive or our situation. I would like to stay close to them but will have to see. Things may all change with some luck.
By the way, be careful when you call the Centrelink "helpline" as the advice they give may be completely wrong. (eg telling you a waiting period applies for all benefits).
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What about child support from your husband?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=

I feel sorry for you in your current predicament OZnurse.

Pity hubby can't wait until after Oz summer finishes, may feel better then ?

Best wishes to you anyway.

Dave
Oldham
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
By the way, be careful when you call the Centrelink "helpline" as the advice they give may be completely wrong. (eg telling you a waiting period applies for all benefits).
Too right. The people who answer the phone lines at Centrelink are call centre employees and may not know fully what you are entitled to.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happy4
Hi Martin

Couldn't agree more. I longed for family and friends, hence my return, only realising all you stated above. Good luck x

Hi

Same here - I was so depressed I went into the shopping centre and just booked flights for me and the kids - i couldnt see a way out of this horrible feeling I had, my heart was heavy from missing people, I was struggling to find a job and felt like I didnt fit in. Missed friends in UK and family, came back and dont hardly see much of the old group anymore. The time we were away different people came and went and everyones lives have changed. Still love them but dont have the same old bond. My parents are going to Spain for New Year and we could have been at Broadbeach!!!

I have been back almost 2 years and we are going back as soon as our house sells. I honestly feel it is the best thing for my children. I will miss things here, still will miss family but have to think of my immediate family - us and our children. My sister wanted me to come home and be close to them. They have no kids so see things through different eyes -s he is not trying for a baby and I know that the things that worry me for my boys will be terrifying for her in another few years. Thats just the part of the country we are from though - outskirts of Bradford (say no more) Gorgeous countryside around us and its not all bad - I just not feel ready to give Oz another shot.

Good Luck and I hope it works out for you
x
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya R,
I am really, really sorry to hear about your predicament. I know how excited you were about getting there. (Just like me) Haven't read all the thread (didn't have time) using friends computer!!!! I know exactly where you are coming from. I cannot offer any suggestions only an ear to listen. I came back to the UK 2 month ago now as OH didn't want to be in Oz we had only been there for 4 months when he decided. Me and the girls loved it but I just wanted my WHOLE family to be happy which meant one of us had to give something up. Maybe in time we may come back but will have to wait for that time to come.
Just thought I would let you know that I am here if you need a chat (hopefully a lot more when my internet gets connected!!!!) PM if you want.
Take care

Lynne xx
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mick69
Hiya R,
I am really, really sorry to hear about your predicament. I know how excited you were about getting there. (Just like me) Haven't read all the thread (didn't have time) using friends computer!!!! I know exactly where you are coming from. I cannot offer any suggestions only an ear to listen. I came back to the UK 2 month ago now as OH didn't want to be in Oz we had only been there for 4 months when he decided. Me and the girls loved it but I just wanted my WHOLE family to be happy which meant one of us had to give something up. Maybe in time we may come back but will have to wait for that time to come.
Just thought I would let you know that I am here if you need a chat (hopefully a lot more when my internet gets connected!!!!) PM if you want.
Take care

Lynne xx
hi lynn where abouts in durham do you live.We move to cairns in january and live in belmont.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:31 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
I feel for you in this predicament. But, trust me, you'll be making a very big mistake coming back here! The place is going to the dogs.

What inparticular in your opinion points to conditions that make the UK dog worthy? The UK can't be that bad if so many brits and other nationals are deciding to live there.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
What inparticular in your opinion points to conditions that make the UK dog worthy? The UK can't be that bad if so many brits and other nationals are deciding to live there.
I heard Emma samms being interviewed on the radio the other day & she was being asked why she had settled in the UK. It was very refreshing to hear such positive things said about our wonderful country!
We are not leaving because we hate it, we just want something different. Every country has its problems including Oz & it's naive to think otherwise!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:04 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I heard Emma samms being interviewed on the radio the other day & she was being asked why she had settled in the UK. It was very refreshing to hear such positive things said about our wonderful country!
We are not leaving because we hate it, we just want something different. Every country has its problems including Oz & it's naive to think otherwise!
I have no doubt the UK is a wonderful place to call home.Britain is a well respected country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.