Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Just want to give a huge thank you to everyone on here for all their amazing support. Although I only drop by from time to time I cannot tell you how much all your comments are appreciated. Some days have been a little overwhelming and there is still so much to do but hopefully we will be living in the new house before too long and have "Hideaway Cottage" up and running.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
Congratulations on the gorgeous house, HighTide. I'm well envious.
The kettle will always be on if you make it down to Devon again.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Brazil now too?
I hadn't heard I was watching some home video on BBC online about Australia, it's just awful to watch.
Brazil is flash floods - terrible to watch. There was a news clip about a rescue of a woman and her dog - they were on the remnants of her house roof. She was holding the dog in her arms when a rope was thrown to her, she was pulled into the air, and dropped into a wall of water (or the wall of water covered her in any case) and she made it but lost the dog. I cannot stand to watch anymore. My heart breaks every time I see it - and it is on all the news stations today.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Thanks Wawa......maybe a party in Brixham someday..........tents in the garden and sleeping bags.
Count me in on this! I love the photos of your house - well done! Hurry back..
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Count me in on this! I love the photos of your house - well done! Hurry back..
And me!!!!!! Poor david......hahaha doesnt know what he has let himself in for

Jackie brilliant news from the docs! So delighted for you and wow less than two weeks to go, how nervous and essited are you!!!???

Rodney, so happy for you that all is going well.
Barb missed a few days and too much to read, but any news on that Staines Job??
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

She was holding the dog in her arms when a rope was thrown to her, she was pulled into the air, and dropped into a wall of water (or the wall of water covered her in any case) and she made it but lost the dog. I cannot stand to watch anymore. My heart breaks every time I see it - and it is on all the news stations today.
Oh my God. How heartbreaking.

I've seen barely a mention of it here. As usual American news is all about America and nothing else.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I am having a BIG blitz on clothes, shoes, etc. this weekend. I am thinking of selling some of it on eBay and try and make some $$$$ whatever I don't sell I will donate to charity, I will do the 4 piles of stuff a la Rodney Jasper123.
I have just done 2 flea markets here in Florida and made almost $900 it is suprising what we sold my OH wanted to trash it all but we made enough to ship my boxes home and will be doing another two, whatever doesn't sell I will take to the charity shop. I did put a few bits on ebay but to be honest I got more on the flea market form the same items, and not so much hassle .
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Thanks ED ....yes we like it too. We were lucky to have it included as usually people take their appliances with them when they move here.
Do they? Good job you said that I'd have had a heck of a shock on move in day when we get a house
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Today:
Made the house smell of burnt food. I put bacon between two pieces of bread and put it in the microwave. Lots of smoke and I had to throw it away. It reminded me of my wife, I knew she loved me because she use offer me burn offerings like in the bible times. Anyhow she had some lady friends from the RS coming over so she wasn't a happy camper with me or the house smell.

Got the car oil changed
Went back to the dermatologist because I remember some more items. She said they were OK.
Got the car washed
Went to the bank to pay the lease on the car.
Bought 4 lbs of oranges, 4-bananas, 3-pears and 3lbs of tangeletoes? Cost $11. for all of them
Now to shop around for my expensive prescriptions.
Cheers
I'd be mad at you too, making the place smell like burned offerings. Dh opened the wood stove this afternoon and didn't open the vent first, so we got a cloud of smoke in, I can still smell it 2 hours later
Tangelos are what you found at the shop.
Good luck on the prescription thing.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Brazil is flash floods - terrible to watch. There was a news clip about a rescue of a woman and her dog - they were on the remnants of her house roof. She was holding the dog in her arms when a rope was thrown to her, she was pulled into the air, and dropped into a wall of water (or the wall of water covered her in any case) and she made it but lost the dog. I cannot stand to watch anymore. My heart breaks every time I see it - and it is on all the news stations today.
They said the same thing happened to a woman and her baby..aweful!!..
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be mad at you too, making the place smell like burned offerings. Dh opened the wood stove this afternoon and didn't open the vent first, so we got a cloud of smoke in, I can still smell it 2 hours later
Tangelos are what you found at the shop.
Good luck on the prescription thing.
I just checked on the label and they are clementines but they are all tangerines to me.
They are seedless and sometimes referred to as seedless tangerines
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question that most people on here can answer.
When you went to school in the UK weren't you taught penmanship? I'm asking because it seems that in the US there is no instruction? We were told in the UK to hold our pen so that the end is pointing over your shoulder and held by the thumb and index and middle finger.
I watch all ages of people in the US and it is weird the way they hold a pen or pencil and its held in every which way.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Floods and rain I hear ya, but in our area it is earthquakes seems like daily.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by cheers
I have a question that most people on here can answer.
When you went to school in the UK weren't you taught penmanship? I'm asking because it seems that in the US there is no instruction? We were told in the UK to hold our pen so that the end is pointing over your shoulder and held by the thumb and index and middle finger.
I watch all ages of people in the US and it is weird the way they hold a pen or pencil and its held in every which way.
I wasn't taught penmanship in the UK back in the 70's
There are taught at the US elementary school my boys went to, they have to write cursive and in a very particular way to get thought third grade. Both the boys did it, but as soon as it wasn't required any more they went back to printing.
This is how they make them do it and this program is used in the school.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I wasn't taught penmanship in the UK back in the 70's
There are taught at the US elementary school my boys went to, they have to write cursive and in a very particular way to get thought third grade. Both the boys did it, but as soon as it wasn't required any more they went back to printing.
This is how they make them do it and this program is used in the school.
Thank you for that illustration.

What I was trying to ask is if they are taught how to hold a pen or pencil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.