British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Mummy in the foothills Nov 24th 2011 2:39 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9751436)
You'll have to start saying no worries, in readiness for your return so you can be like the natives here now. :nod:

Everytime I hear someone say "No worries" I think of that song "Don't worry, be happy" :o
Here they say "No biggie" "No problem" or in the case of my 6 year old "No problemo" I think she's been watching the Fonz on TV somewhere.

Mummy in the foothills Nov 24th 2011 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9751558)
Happy Thanksgiving Day to all my British/American friends on here, the ones who are still there and the ones who haven't made the journey back yet, it will come............;)

Thank you. We are heading to the in laws (wish me luck) At least there will be a big turkey dinner to eat later, and the Thanksgiving day parade will be on telly soon, I love that part.

Beedubya Nov 24th 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9752134)
Thank you. We are heading to the in laws (wish me luck) At least there will be a big turkey dinner to eat later, and the Thanksgiving day parade will be on telly soon, I love that part.

Have "fun" at the out laws. :ohmy:

I didn't know your hubby was an Ameerikano. :ohmy: I thought he was a Brit!

Also didn't know there was any such thing as Thanksgiving parade, what channel is it on??

Mummy in the foothills Nov 24th 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9752226)
Have "fun" at the out laws. :ohmy:

I didn't know your hubby was an Ameerikano. :ohmy: I thought he was a Brit!

Also didn't know there was any such thing as Thanksgiving parade, what channel is it on??

We got to his sisters house (She's a UKC too) they are very American and the men go Hunting in the morning :eek: real guns an all. then this afternoon it's more food than anyone needs.
the parade is on TV http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...-2011-15023666 The baloons are the best, especially if the wind gets up :eek: It's live on TV I think it's online too

jasper123 Nov 25th 2011 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9752311)
We got to his sisters house (She's a UKC too) they are very American and the men go Hunting in the morning :eek: real guns an all. then this afternoon it's more food than anyone needs.
the parade is on TV http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...-2011-15023666 The baloons are the best, especially if the wind gets up :eek: It's live on TV I think it's online too

Hi MITF, YES that is one of the things I loved to watch on TV ---- the thanksgiving day parade ---- it just goes on for hours, last year was my last Thanksgiving day in America :( It was at my friend Arts house, he cooked this lovely big turkey and all the trimmings just for the two of us (he must have been eating leftovers for two weeks after I left:) ) ------- 6 days later I was on the plane with my four large suitcases coming back home,
Its hard to believe that in just 5 days I will have been home for one compleat year :D

Trotty thanks for the two links you sent me, nice to see your still keeping in touch with all your friends, and please continue to do that wont you, take good care and I hope the treatment goes well for you,

Barb,
Thanks for posting that link about Australia and UK Emigrants, very interesting read,
When I lived in Oz in the mid 60's it was fantastic, I loved every minute of my four years there, and what was strange to me was I picked up the Australian accent quite quickly, of course I was only 19, but when I left Oz to return home to England from there people here would say where in Australia do I come from? and talk about all the Aussie sayings, I used to say no worries, and bloody oath a lot, & fair dinkum, and too right mate, and she's a bute, what I did like is way back then when I got off work all the lads would head straight for our local pub, and stand at the bar drinking our Ice cold scooners of beer before going home, what was different there in Oz at the time was that pubs were men only pubs, ----- Women were all strictly banned, I remember only one time, one particular day while I was drinking my beer a Woman actually walked into the bar and everyone immediately turned around looking at her as though she was a freaking alien from out of space :eek: the bar tender said OK thats it ---- OUT OF HERE right now as he pointed to the door with an outstreched arm, apparently she was just looking for her husband, ------- Later though I do remember that pubs opened up where both Men and Women could go in, but they took a long time to catch on,
It was a real Mans world in Oz way back then, dont even think Women could vote then either.
Rodney.

aries Nov 25th 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9751547)
You've done well aries. Cheap considering so near the beach. Wonder how it feels in winter? Expect the pier is closed during the cold months?
Do you feel that it is easy enough to connect with people there? Does Eastbourne have a good vibe at night?
Must take a look next time over. Happy settling in.

I'm not there yet, still going through the formalities with solicitors, and am staying with my brother and his wife in Clarendon Square, Leamington Spa.

There will be work to do at Eastbourne with the flat before I move in, such as installing a kitchen stove, fridge and washing machine, and up-dating the shower room. I will also have to buy the usual things such as a bed, wardrobe, lounge and dining furniture, plus kitchen utensils. I shall leave balcony furniture until the better weather arrives. Of course a TV will be necessary, plus a new iMac computer, I feel very restricted using an iPad.

I've also thought of buying a fold-up bike which I can take to my flat in the lift. There is an allocated parking space, but I don't have a car, nor even a current British driving licence.

Beedubya Nov 25th 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9753420)
I'm not there yet, still going through the formalities with solicitors, and am staying with my brother and his wife in Clarendon Square, Leamington Spa.

There will be work to do at Eastbourne with the flat before I move in, such as installing a kitchen stove, fridge and washing machine, and up-dating the shower room. I will also have to buy the usual things such as a bed, wardrobe, lounge and dining furniture, plus kitchen utensils. I shall leave balcony furniture until the better weather arrives. Of course a TV will be necessary, plus a new iMac computer, I feel very restricted using an iPad.

I've also thought of buying a fold-up bike which I can take to my flat in the lift. There is an allocated parking space, but I don't have a car, nor even a current British driving licence.

Is there no outside storage room/shed you could use for the bike?

Sounds like you have some serious spending to do. :D

sallysimmons Nov 25th 2011 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9753420)
Of course a TV will be necessary, plus a new iMac computer, I feel very restricted using an iPad.

It's always a good day when you get to buy a new Apple product! Opening the box is my favorite bit :)

Mummy in the foothills Nov 25th 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9753499)
It's always a good day when you get to buy a new Apple product! Opening the box is my favorite bit :)

:lol: I always feel like a small child at Christmas just going to the apple store.

aries Nov 25th 2011 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9753499)

I used to have a friend in New South Wales who owned nearly a hundred Macs. When she received her biggest and newest Mac, she not only photographed every aspect of opening the boxes, but also the delivery van arriving! :blink:

sallysimmons Nov 25th 2011 6:08 pm

We have video of us opening various Mac products :lol: Can't wait to get home and buy iphones - we don't have them yet, but we'll need new cell phones in the UK and it might as well be an iphone.

Well, 2 trucks just pulled away from our house with all our remaining junk including our entire CD collection, which is being donated to Goodwill. Since we both spent years in the music business, we got free CDs and therefore there had to be between 5,000 and 6,000 CDs. We just couldn't deal with trying to sell them, so off they went. I think my husband is having withdrawal symptoms, but we both agreed it wasn't worth paying to have them shipped all the way home.

We've got rid of every bit of junk out of every room in the house and it feels amazing! Now we have only the furniture and stuff that we're keeping, which should make moving day relatively smooth.

imisshome2 Nov 27th 2011 2:43 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum and am currently living in Ireland. I am Irish born but all my family are English, I am thinking of moving back to the UK as I am now in my 60's and want to be near my family, can anybody tell me would I be able to move to England to live even though I am not a British citizen please can anyone help.

Thanks,
imisshome2::confused:

Gabgoeshome Nov 27th 2011 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by imisshome2 (Post 9756336)
Hi I'm new to the forum and am currently living in Ireland. I am Irish born but all my family are English, I am thinking of moving back to the UK as I am now in my 60's and want to be near my family, can anybody tell me would I be able to move to England to live even though I am not a British citizen please can anyone help.

Thanks,
imisshome2::confused:

If you are Irish of course you can :)

well anywhere from the EU will do ...what passport do you have?

imisshome2 Nov 27th 2011 3:25 pm

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I have an Irish Passport but have been told by people that because I am of retirement age in the UK I couldn't sign on while looking for work. I have no money to speak of and don't want to be a burden to anyone, so don't know what to do for the best.

Gabgoeshome Nov 27th 2011 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by imisshome2 (Post 9756358)
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I have an Irish Passport but have been told by people that because I am of retirement age in the UK I couldn't sign on while looking for work. I have no money to speak of and don't want to be a burden to anyone, so don't know what to do for the best.

Could you make it more of a longer time plan then?

Save a bit, then stay with family perhaps?

Do you work right now?

When do you qualify for your pension?