British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

jasper123 Oct 13th 2012 11:41 am

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10328064)
If you do I will play you a game of Conkers.;)

Yes cheers I would love to play a game of conkers with you, how did we get the conker on the end of the string? did we make a hole through the conker and thread the string through and tie a knot in the end? cant quite remember, but you had to smash the others conker by hitting it with force and smashing it right! anyway great fun, we had a lot of things to amuse ourselves when we were kids didn't we ----- and all these things were free :)
quite a few people on here like me and you cheers and of course Don and many others were born before TV was invented, and no vcr,s or computers, so no playstations ;) etc etc
but we did have our trusty wireless and all those great plays and things like journey into space and mrs dales diary and the archers :)
I remember My dad made me a go-cart when I was a kid, he was a carpenter so it turned out to be the coolest one in town :thumbsup: did we call it a go-cart here or was that the american name? you know the thing you sit in with wheels and I think we steered it with two rains coming from the front wheels,

Bevm Oct 13th 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10328064)
If you do I will play you a game of Conkers.;)

Do you know that conkers keep out spiders? Odd but true. Lots of people used them in Victoria BC, where spiders in the basement was a common problem. My doctor had her surgery in the basement of her house and there were little baskets of them in every room.

I was surprised to hear someone talking about it on BBC the other day, but clearly people have learned about it over here.

We've been getting spiders inside -- quite a few, not just the odd one -- so we now have conkers dotted around the house.

Bev

Lorac05 Oct 13th 2012 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 10328696)
Do you know that conkers keep out spiders? Odd but true. Lots of people used them in Victoria BC, where spiders in the basement was a common problem. My doctor had her surgery in the basement of her house and there were little baskets of them in every room.

I was surprised to hear someone talking about it on BBC the other day, but clearly people have learned about it over here.

We've been getting spiders inside -- quite a few, not just the odd one -- so we now have conkers dotted around the house.

Bev

My mom has been using conkers for years here in the UK - and her mother before her!! I have just gotten some myself - an effective and cheap solution :thumbup:

dontheturner Oct 13th 2012 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10328056)
There ya go!!! wish I could find a conker tree around here in these here parts :)

Bet my conkers would be bigger than yours!

But would you cheat - and pickle 'em?

sallysimmons Oct 13th 2012 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10328742)
Bet my conkers would be bigger than yours!

But would you cheat - and pickle 'em?

We used to put them in the oven. I think that was cheating too :confused:

Scientific evidence re: spider and conkers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pdZRMM2VSR4

(hint, it's rubbish!)

Mummy in the foothills Oct 14th 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10329370)
We used to put them in the oven. I think that was cheating too :confused:

Scientific evidence re: spider and conkers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pdZRMM2VSR4

(hint, it's rubbish!)

Darn it, I was going to collect and display conkers to keep away the spiders :lol:

mikelincs Oct 14th 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10328674)
Yes cheers I would love to play a game of conkers with you, how did we get the conker on the end of the string? did we make a hole through the conker and thread the string through and tie a knot in the end? cant quite remember, but you had to smash the others conker by hitting it with force and smashing it right! anyway great fun, we had a lot of things to amuse ourselves when we were kids didn't we ----- and all these things were free :)

We used to use one of those old meat skewers, the metal ones that had a twist in htem, you can still get them in places, and carefully make the hole from the shiny surface to the hard bottom piece, you did it that way because if you tried the opposite way you always got a small split on the surface which was a starting advantage to your opponent. We would never play with, or against anyone who had either baked or pickled their conkers, it jsut wasn't fair.

dontheturner Oct 14th 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10328674)
Yes cheers I would love to play a game of conkers with you, how did we get the conker on the end of the string? did we make a hole through the conker and thread the string through and tie a knot in the end? cant quite remember, quite a few people on here like me and you cheers and of course Don and many others were born before TV was invented, and no vcr,s or computers, so no playstations ;) etc etc
but we did have our trusty wireless ,Etc.,

I can remember Dad having only the old Accumulator, and rather large High Tension Battery, for the Radio,to listen to Neville Chamberlain's announcement of the outbreak of war, on it......Wowee!

cheers Oct 14th 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 10330191)
I can remember Dad having only the old Accumulator, and rather large High Tension Battery, for the Radio,to listen to Neville Chamberlain's announcement of the outbreak of war, on it......Wowee!

Which war?:D Sorry I couldn't help.

jasper123 Oct 14th 2012 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10329917)
We used to use one of those old meat skewers, the metal ones that had a twist in htem, you can still get them in places, and carefully make the hole from the shiny surface to the hard bottom piece, you did it that way because if you tried the opposite way you always got a small split on the surface which was a starting advantage to your opponent. We would never play with, or against anyone who had either baked or pickled their conkers, it jsut wasn't fair.

Yes Mike thank you for reminding me, thats right I used a skewer and made the hole the same way too.

bandrui Oct 14th 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ukgalch (Post 10325781)
I came onto this forum hoping it would be full of tips for moving back...like eligibility for health care and such like! Should I be looking elsewhere?

You make a very good point, ukgalch. The Chit-Chat thread was started as a home for the general chit-chat but it seems that this thread is now more of a social chat room than of any real assistance to those planning a move back to the UK. It's a shame but that's the way it is, and the reason why I (and apparently others) hardly ever participate here anymore.

feelbritish Oct 14th 2012 10:43 pm

maybe time to start part III ? :D

feelbritish Oct 14th 2012 10:45 pm

On a lighter note, I do enjoy reading the posts still, I just move on if it gets boring or silly, there is still good info here and we can still post questions to bring it back to topic

cheers Oct 14th 2012 11:41 pm

Linda,

Nice to hear from you.

That diversification probably came about because the thread sometimes became very slow.

On topic. We are planning an investigating trip May of next year. North Wales, Cotswold and Kent.

Cheers

Sue Oct 15th 2012 2:21 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 10330820)
You make a very good point, ukgalch. The Chit-Chat thread was started as a home for the general chit-chat but it seems that this thread is now more of a social chat room than of any real assistance to those planning a move back to the UK.

I agree, and as such I feel that it's time to draw this thread to a close. The Chit-Chat thread is still there, but this thread seems to have become an extension of that and there's really no need to have two threads running on the same thing.

So thread closed, please continue the "chit-chat" here. Other topics can have separate threads, so feel free to start those if you have questions about certain subjects or want to share info.

Thanks all

Sue