British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

jasper123 Aug 26th 2011 10:16 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9583975)
I've learned something tonight: I thought everyone in England called them crumpets!

We love toasted crumpets - and only with butter on them, nothing else. Perfection on a plate together with a bracing cuppa. :thumbsup:

I love toasted crumpets with butter and jam on them, when I was a wee lad growing up in Portsmouth the whole family would be sitting around the open coal fire and toasting our crumpets on an actual crumpet metal poker type thing, I think we toasted our bread the same way, well for all you youngens on here I think that was either before pop up toasters were invented or maybe cause we just couldn't afford one, we used to use fountain pens in those days too or a pencil, ball point pens were not invented yet either :eek:

jasper123 Aug 26th 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9584007)
In Yorkshire we called crumpets...piklets. I like mine grilled both sides...topped with White Cheshire Cheese and grilled till the cheese is golden brown.

A barm cake is a bread roll.

jerseygirl now I simply must try a crumpet with grilled melted cheese on it --- it sounds really tasty:)

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9584097)
jerseygirl now I simply must try a crumpet with grilled melted cheese on it --- it sounds really tasty:)

You'll love 'em...put a little butter on before the cheese if you wish. :wub:

We had a long toasting fork for piklets/crumpets...used it for toast too.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 26th 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9584083)
I love toasted crumpets with butter and jam on them, when I was a wee lad growing up in Portsmouth the whole family would be sitting around the open coal fire and toasting our crumpets on an actual crumpet metal poker type thing, I think we toasted our bread the same way, well for all you youngens on here I think that was either before pop up toasters were invented or maybe cause we just couldn't afford one, we used to use fountain pens in those days too or a pencil, ball point pens were not invented yet either :eek:

I loved going to my Nana's house to toast crumpets on a toasting fork in the coal fire, yummy, with butter and jam.

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2011 11:24 pm

I used to love roasting chestnuts on the fire. Ah happy days. :wub:

aries Aug 26th 2011 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by J.J (Post 9583946)
Pikelets maybe?, that's what we called them in Lincs.

Pikelets in South Australia are generally more like pancakes, totally different in texture and taste to crumpets. In fact I bought a packet of crumpets yesterday.

cheers Aug 27th 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9584170)
I used to love roasting chestnuts on the fire. Ah happy days. :wub:

You beat me to it. I was going to mention that. Love those chestnuts.

Are we glamorizing the old days? I don't think so because they were so enjoyable then.

Beedubya Aug 27th 2011 1:09 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9584062)
about the light bulb thing, I went to B&O a few months ago and I went to the lighting section to buy a small lamp for my bedside table, well if there were a Walmart here I would have just popped in and chose a suitable one and would have been out of there in 10 or 15 minutes, I spent one compleat hour looking at lamps, and after I chose a lamp I then had to go to the separate light bulb isle to try and select a light bulb to fit in the darn thing, this is where it got quite complicated, OMG there are a multitude of different kind of light bulbs here ----- some that screw in like in the states (nice and easy right) and they will fit in just about all lamps in U.S. right,
not so here ---- the lamp I bought dont take the screw in bulb, so then I look at all of the bulbs and then you read the box and it says this bulb will fit but is not safe to use in a lamp that has this or has that ---- way too complicated for me Im afraid, I ended up after one hour and a half in this store just completely bewildered and physically drained that I just put the lamp back on the shelf and just walked out the store and went home, ----- the very next day I am walking up the high street and I walk into one of our many thrift stores and there I find siting on the shelf the most perfect little lamp you ever did see, and I swear I saw it wink at me and say buy me buy me ----- with a bulb already in it ---- and it worked too,
so now all I need to do when it burns out is buy a bulb just like that one and yes they do sell that type still :)
And yes cheers your right the word cookies are starting to appear on certain types of biscuits over here, ---- since I have been away England has followed America in sooooo many things and especially food products like for instance years ago you would never hear chips being called french fries,

and you would never see so many different american type food products in supermarkets in the U.K. like ----- pre - packaged cole slaw/potato salad/ jars of mayonnaise/tarter sauce/tabasco type hot sauce/relish/hot dogs & buns/peanut butter/rotisserie cooked whole chickens going around before your eyes, tomato sauce is now called ketchup by most people, and BBQ'S, and just too many products to mention, sooo many,
Not quite sure when all this American influence ---- change came about but I bet it was about the time when all the U.S. fast food chains came to the U.K. like Mcdonald's/burger king/KFC/etc etc etc, when was that around the mid 1980's I think.
But unfortunately you still cant go into your local supermarket like morrisons or lidle and pick up your stationary or drugs, no pharmacy inside the store, or a toaster, or kitchen stuff like pots & pans ---- or some shoe polish, ------ but you CAN buy wine and booze in the supermarkets here in U.K. thats progress for ya :D
Take care pal,
Rodney.

Asda in Runcorn has a pharmacy inside plus stationery and kitchen stuff, it may be a case of shopping around to find the bigger stores. :thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9584280)
Asda in Runcorn has a pharmacy inside plus stationery and kitchen stuff, it may be a case of shopping around to find the bigger stores. :thumbsup:

Hubby is from Runcorn. :)

Yeah many of the large UK supermarkets have pharmacies and sell stationery, kitchen equipment, household goods, electroncis and clothes...have done for years.

Beedubya Aug 27th 2011 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9584291)
Hubby is from Runcorn. :)Yeah many of the large UK supermarkets have pharmacies and sell stationery, kitchen equipment, household goods, electroncis and clothes...have done for years.

Poor you LOL!! :lol:

trottytrue Aug 27th 2011 5:29 am

I am so tired I am going 6 different ways. The hurricane couldnt have come at a more inconvenient time. Not only am I packing for the rental and sorting for the UK but I have had to stop all that to get ready for this Irene. We sign the contract on Tuesday so I called the estate agent and asked him what happens if we have damage to the property, he told me that there is a clause in our contract that says as long as we agree to fix the problems they cannot back out.:p I am just worried as we have massive tree's all around the house.

We dragged the generator outside and its ready to go and my OH is going to mow the lawn in the morning so it looks nice when they come for the final walk about on Monday. I stocked the fridge with milk and bread and lets hope we dont lose power.

I know this will make you laugh. I was walking around today with those little stickies stuck to the sole of my shoe if it wasnt that it was packing tape. The dog is having a great time racing around all the boxes she has finally found out she can have fun with this. I keep expecting her to knock herself out bumping into something but so far so good. She just looks so funny.

Well I had better get some sleep it nearly two in the morning.:frown:

dontheturner Aug 27th 2011 7:05 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9584062)
about the light bulb thing, I went to B&O a few
But unfortunately you still cant go into your local supermarket like morrisons or lidle and pick up your stationary or drugs, no pharmacy inside the store, or a toaster, or kitchen stuff like pots & pans ---- or some shoe polish, ------ but you CAN buy wine and booze in the supermarkets here in U.K. thats progress for ya :D
Take care pal,
Rodney.

Hi Rod! Now that is strange - ALL the things you have mentioned, are on sale in Wellington, here at Morrisons. - Even got a Pharmacy. ( Chemists) same as Tesco. Toasters, Yes, Shoe Polish - yes - Stationery Yes, All Kitchen pots, Pans and Ovenware. Are you sure, you are not missing some parts of the store in your haste to eat their lovely Ham etc.,? Take Care. Don

aries Aug 27th 2011 9:52 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9584083)

In the 1940s we toasted our bread in Devon using a long fork. Coke was better than coal, it glowed hotter and without smoke. Nutty slack was awful. I don't remember if we toasted crumpets.

Beedubya Aug 27th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9584599)
Hi Rod! Now that is strange - ALL the things you have mentioned, are on sale in Wellington, here at Morrisons. - Even got a Pharmacy. ( Chemists) same as Tesco. Toasters, Yes, Shoe Polish - yes - Stationery Yes, All Kitchen pots, Pans and Ovenware. Are you sure, you are not missing some parts of the store in your haste to eat their lovely Ham etc.,? Take Care. Don

I was wondering if Rodney was shopping in the smaller stores.

Asda in Runcorn not only has a pharmacy and sells all kinds of stuff as above it even has a cafe as does the nearest Morrisons. The Tesco near me has all of these, it's on 2 floors and open 24 hours a day. :thumbsup:

Beedubya Aug 27th 2011 10:08 am

Does Charleygirl have her own laptop to bring home with her or will we have to wait until she buys one like Rodney did? :thumbdown:

Anybody heard anything from Jackie??

And what happened to Windsong, she seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. :huh: