British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Mummy in the foothills Aug 27th 2011 3:10 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9585071)
I'm for shops closing at 6.
If the employees work later pay them a premium and the taxii fare home

:thumbsup: I like that they close up too.

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9584132)
You'll love 'em...put a little butter on before the cheese if you wish. :wub:

We had a long toasting fork for piklets/crumpets...used it for toast too.

Yes thats exactly what it was, now I remember it was a long handled toasting fork, we toasted the bread and crumpets same way,
and the poker was what we poked the fire with to keep it burning nice & hot :)

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9584170)
I used to love roasting chestnuts on the fire. Ah happy days. :wub:

OH yes the chestnuts, I remember when living in London for a year as a young teenager they had street vendors that roasted chestnuts on an open fire, also saw same thing in San Francisco and New York, love that smell that comes from roasted chestnuts:)

Pollyana Aug 27th 2011 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9584949)
A lot of the bigger supermarkets and stores are open till about 8pm or so and there are some 24 hour supermarkets. The UK is getting there!! :thumbsup:

I remember visiting here years ago and some shops still closed on Wednesday afternoons!! I still can't figure that one out???? :o

Still a lot of places in Queensland where shops close Wednesday afternoons, and 5pm the rest of the week :blink:

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9584291)
Hubby is from Runcorn. :)

Yeah many of the large UK supermarkets have pharmacies and sell stationery, kitchen equipment, household goods, electroncis and clothes...have done for years.

Well where the heck have I been:frown: Ive so far shopped at Morrisons/Lidles/co-op/Iceland and Audi's in Portsmouth and so far Ive seen nothing but food and wine, beer and booze,
Whenever I need shaving foam or razor blades or deodorant or aspirin or anything like that I have to go to boots or superdrugs, Hmmmmm maybe Portsmouth stores are way behind other parts of the U.K. looks like it dont it :frown: :ohmy: :thumbdown: :( :confused:

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9585260)
OH yes the chestnuts, I remember when living in London for a year as a young teenager they had street vendors that roasted chestnuts on an open fire, also saw same thing in San Francisco and New York, love that smell that comes from roasted chestnuts:)

I have fond memories of walking through the Sheffield city centre to get on the bus. At the top of Snig Hill used to be a roasted chestnut vendor in winter. It was such a treat if got a bag of chestnuts to share.

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9585272)
Well where the heck have I been:frown: Ive so far shopped at Morrisons/Lidles/co-op/Iceland and Audi's in Portsmouth and so far Ive seen nothing but food and wine, beer and booze,
Whenever I need shaving foam or razor blades or deodorant or aspirin or anything like that I have to go to boots or superdrugs, Hmmmmm maybe Portsmouth stores are way behind other parts of the U.K. looks like it dont it :frown: :ohmy: :thumbdown: :( :confused:

I think you need to try the supermarket giants...Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda etc. Try the larger stores the smaller ones may carry all the stock.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 27th 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9585272)

Not all have the pharmacy, I looked and Horndean and Gosport are the closest for you inside a Morrisons.
Asda and Tesco always seem to have them unless it's the Tesco express

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9584280)
Asda in Runcorn has a pharmacy inside plus stationery and kitchen stuff, it may be a case of shopping around to find the bigger stores. :thumbsup:

Yes Barb your right Asda here sales the lot too besides food, but thats the only one Ive seen that does, but you would expect it cause its an American store ---- its Walmart. but I have noticed though that Asda's here has the whole ground floor level for food, and the upstairs 2nd floor has all other stuff but not anywhere even remotely close to the huge variety of inventory that Walmart in the U.S. has,

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by aries (Post 9584838)
In the 1940s we toasted our bread in Devon using a long fork. Coke was better than coal, it glowed hotter and without smoke. Nutty slack was awful. I don't remember if we toasted crumpets.

Yes I remember that later we changed to burning coke in the fire, it was much cleaner and as you say without all that smoke,

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9585288)
Yes Barb your right Asda here sales the lot too besides food, but thats the only one Ive seen that does, but you would expect it cause its an American store ---- its Walmart. but I have noticed though that Asda's here has the whole ground floor level for food, and the upstairs 2nd floor has all other stuff but not anywhere even remotely close to the huge variety of inventory that Walmart in the U.S. has,

They sold all that stuff before Walmart bought them out.

You can't compare Asda and Walmart in that way because Asda is mainly a food store...Walmart is not.

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9584854)
I was wondering if Rodney was shopping in the smaller stores.

Asda in Runcorn not only has a pharmacy and sells all kinds of stuff as above it even has a cafe as does the nearest Morrisons. The Tesco near me has all of these, it's on 2 floors and open 24 hours a day. :thumbsup:

I think with Morrisons and lidles and Audis in Portsmouth the stores are not exactly that big ---- like to put you in the picture, theres only room to safely push a trolley one way down the isle, and if you come to another trolly/cart coming the other direction ---- like the roads you have to pull way over to the side to let the other pass :) and really not enough Isles to stock anything then food, the stores are just not big enough in Pompey,

jasper123 Aug 27th 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9584858)
Does Charleygirl have her own laptop to bring home with her or will we have to wait until she buys one like Rodney did? :thumbdown:

Anybody heard anything from Jackie??

And what happened to Windsong, she seems to have vanished off the face of the earth. :huh:

Ah be fair on me Barb, dont forget I arrived on December 1st 2010 right in the middle of the coldest and snowiest winters for 100 years, for the first week I was snow bound and trapped in the house, then after a week I got a library card and used the computers there and I was talking to y'all within two weeks of touch down :)
I was wondering about Jackie too, no havent heard from her either,
And windsong yes I wonder where she is?

sallysimmons Aug 27th 2011 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9585071)
I'm for shops closing at 6.
If the employees work later pay them a premium and the taxii fare home

They do get a premium if they work over 40 hours - overtime pay. I used to work in a store in the UK and I loved the stock counts when we got time and a half - or holidays when we got double time.

I don't really mind the shops closing - it's just a nice convenience every once in a while to be able to pop out in the evening.

cheers Aug 27th 2011 6:19 pm

The hospitals have discharged their patients, subway cars have stopped running, bridges have closed, buses have stopped running, tunnels are closed and the place(NYC) is looking halfway civilized.

But fear not the credit card companies are working as usual to get their bills out on time and the 21.4% interest on their monthly billing. Wonderful that they work selflessly.

Cheers

dontheturner Aug 27th 2011 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9585207)
Yes thats exactly what it was, now I remember it was a long handled toasting fork, we toasted the bread and crumpets same way,
and the poker was what we poked the fire with to keep it burning nice & hot :)

Rod, During the Winter, my Father used the Poker, to mull his beer, after puting in a pinch of ginger powder. Don. There - that's taken your breath away!