British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Beedubya Jan 16th 2011 2:17 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104441)

There is still a row of prefabs in Runcorn. :ohmy:

dontheturner Jan 16th 2011 2:58 am

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9103826)
£2,000 per month BEFORE deductions for tax, N.I. and pension, Cheers. His net will be around £1300/month - not nearly enough for two people to live on with rent, Council tax, utilities, car expenses (petrol, insurance, tax, maintenance, MOT), food, etc. etc.
Plus - we are starting over. Don't have a stick of furniture to our name or much of anything else! So, regardless of whether I find a job sooner or later, it's going to take some time for us to get ahead.
I wouldn't think wages are paid in cash anywhere these days; his goes directly into the bank.

Sorry DDL, Not enough in London, but I have done that, and will HAVE TO do it again when we return next month -- bar Rental. Dontheturner

Celticspirit Jan 16th 2011 3:27 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9104585)
Sorry DDL, Not enough in London, but I have done that, and will HAVE TO do it again when we return next month -- bar Rental. Dontheturner

Is anyone on this list planning to return to Northern Ireland? (other than me?)

windsong Jan 16th 2011 5:07 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9103734)

Thanks, Rosie :)

windsong Jan 16th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9103789)
I was never a big soap watcher in the US but I have seen them.

We all sit around and watch EastEnders now every night. I figured, why not? 7 million other people in this country do!

I'd be hard stretched to say that EE has "substance". I mean, come on: murder, incest, rape, affairs, etc etc all within one small square? LOL

But what I would say is that I really love the fact that British actors/actresses are all so real compared to American ones. When they go on a talk show, they've not been all made up with make-up and they're usually wearing just plain, normal clothes.

I must admit EastEnders is one I have never watched.

windsong Jan 16th 2011 5:11 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9104265)
I know a persons overhead can go down when they retire so I'm thinking can any of us afford to live in the UK if you need more than $24273 a year to live on.

Yes. DDL's post has got me thinking, too!

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:18 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9103286)
I think we could start a thread on this webcam.
Some observations.
In a very few cases I see drivers driving far too fast for conditions. Conditions being too many people and cars around at an intersection.

Motorcycle riders taking chances by passing on the right when there is oncoming traffic.

Pedestrians who step off the curb without looking (the go ahead hit me I need the money crowd).

Drivers who patiently wait while tourists just pose on the crossing while having their picture taken. I think if that happened in some places in the US there would be some blood spilt.

Lots of expensive cars. Mercedes, Porsche and BMWs

Cheers.
Ive seen all those issues too, last night someone on a motorcyce came speeding through the crossing while actually overtaking, I was totally amazed, bad driving.

Im also amazed how people step out onto the zebra crossing when a bus is coming and is close, they always seem to stop, Im sure you must know there are bus stops right there, you can often hear a bus running but cant see it as its out of Camera range.

I notice lots of expensive cars too, espeacilly the Lexus Hybrid SUV in Black, loads of them, plenty of Golfs, Prius and Cabs too, it all depends on the time of day.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:21 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9103298)
I did try to say it wasn't true :) The wealthy are taxed 50% - but only on any amount over £150K.

The 60% tax rate is a Fox News myth that took hold all over the place - now half the Americans I talk to seem convinced that the UK has 60% tax rates.

Sally I hear that 60%tax rate too, Huhhhhh I try to correct them but Im still not sure they believe me, some people are too smart for their own good. (Never Wrong).

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:23 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9103129)
I have to interject: even though I still have administrative issues to sort out here, I have relaxed for the first time in 24 years. Like Rodney said, I don't feel excited at being back, just comfortable. Of course, if I had been met at Heathrow by the T mobile group, I may have felt excited then!
Every day that I leave my flat, and walk about in town, I chance on someone interesting to talk to - even about the (proverbial topic) weather. I spent a couple of hours in the laundry yesterday and had multiple conversations going - many people to talk to, and everyone was chatty.

Well done for you Rosie, Im honestly thrilled for you.

Beedubya Jan 16th 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9104767)
Yes. DDL's post has got me thinking, too!

I think DDL was talking about renting privately. Never fear for us over 55's there is always sheltered housing from £43.00 per week excluding the service charge.

http://www.anchor.org.uk/about-ancho...wsArticle.aspx

This is just a list of the current vacancies, there are thousands of these places all over the UK. Just think Wind, you can go and live wherever you want, just like Rosie did, what an adventure!! :thumbsup:

Go and check out DDL's whole thread of Sheltered Housing.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:28 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9103310)
Yes, here are the rates for 2011:

Starting savings rate: 10% £0-£2,440

Basic rate: 20% - £0-£37,400

Higher rate: 40% - Over £37,400

Additional rate: 50% - over £150,000

So if you made less than £35,000 your tax rate would be 20%, but if you made £50,000, you would pay 20% on the first £35,000 and then 40% on the additional £15,000. (Assuming there's some kind of deductible too but don't know).

Fox News just added 40% to 20% and voila it equals a 60% tax rate!! :rolleyes:

I wonder why they would do that, I cant imagine them getting anything wrong, it doesn't seem possible hahahaaaa

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9103342)
That is a good attitude to have .:)

I try to remember that too, I have also been on the end of some 'snobbery' because I try am a lady and eat and behave accordingly .

Snobbery and thinking one is better than another works both ways ,inverted snobbery is a killer !

Well said Gabby, Snobbery is always alive and well, I find it amusing when people are like that, they arent kidding anyone but themselves.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9103758)
In the girls school do you remember them wearing those navy blue nickers and they would tuck their skirts into them so they could do handstands in the playground. No big deal!

Wow Cheers, I haven't thought about that in 40 years.

What about those satchels, my sisters weighed a ton.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9103772)
I've heard some are coming back from Spain.

Me too, Spain is in a mess, Not many Brits have the money that they had previously, My Inlaws have a place there, they would like to sell it as they dont have the money to go so much, Prices are dropping as many others are in the same position.

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 16th 2011 8:09 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9103792)
I was making about £1:17:6d a week when I left the UK so his income is still mind boggling.
£2,000 per month would keep me awake wondering how to spend it in the UK.
I don't think they pay wages in cash anymore over there? Is that right Barbara?
Good for you!
Cheers

Cheers.
Id say most people have had their wages paid directly into their bank account for about thirty years.

When I left the UK in 76 I was till paid cash in an a little envelope with a window.