Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Im not unhappy either, I feel so bad for causing all this static on the thread..sorry guys..
I dont think you started it actually, the subject was alive and well days before.

Darn it I feel like a ping ponger today...LOL
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by windsong
Here's another topic for you all

When we lived in Britain, my mothers and aunts at the time used to make rice pudding and also macaroni pudding - which was just like rice pudding but a different pasta.

Here in the U.S. I do make rice pudding. I also tried macaroni pudding - but it tastes NOTHING like what it did int he UK - different pasta perhaps. What pasta should I be using to make macaroni pudding? I think I used elbow pasta.
My Mum used to make macaroni pudding also and when I tried I it was no where near the same. I much preferred it to rice pudding.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:26 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
I agree used cars are cheap there. I wonder if they are all rental cars because they rent a lot of cars at Heathrow. I priced a 2008 on Cars.com with low miles (29K) and it worked at £6448. The car is in California. The rub there, in the UK, is the price to fill it up and I think that will be about £51 for 39 litres if your tank was empty. $78 in US money. $28.20 if I was fill it up here. Wow thats a lot! But the NHS is free. The science is getting the insurance at a good price because the quote can be all over the place. DDL could point you in the right direction for that.
Cheers, I'll have to look up our car ins. info tomorrow morning, but just chiming in here that petrol has skyrocketed recently. We filled up today and the best price we could find locally (at Sainsburys) was £1.29/litre.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I dont think you started it actually, the subject was alive and well days before.

Darn it I feel like a ping ponger today...LOL
You think it's difficult over here? They're about to hurt each other over on this other thread where I went for distraction:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699742
We're civilized, sort of, by comparison. LOL
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
You think it's difficult over here? They're about to hurt each other over on this other thread where I went for distraction:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699742
We're civilized, sort of, by comparison. LOL
Ohh My there are some grouchy folks over there..lol
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:42 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The NHS is not free. It's free at the point of service but British taxpayers pay for the NHS.

Thank you for that, Jerseygirl. For some reason, a lot of people around here keep forgetting that fact.

I'd also like to add that just because it's free, doesn't mean it's better. There are a lot of health care horror stories in the UK.

I haven't been to the doctor much since arriving, but I have been on several occasions and it has been my personal experience that I have had to be much more pro-active when meeting with the doctor over here. I have to be honest with you all when I say that I personally do not have the same level of trust/security with health care in general here as I did in the US. Yes, it's free, but I feel like I have to keep a much closer eye on things, double-checking, etc. As I said, there are loads of horror stories and a lot of them have to do with very basic procedures, protocol, etc.

The particular surgery we go to (it's a group practice of several doctors) is a dump, and I mean a real dump. Old building, frayed carpets, outdated EVERYTHING, old, old, old, depressing, unappealing, just plain YUCK. I'm not complaining, I'm just telling it like it is. I accept it for what it is.

The surgery we used to go to 7 years ago before we moved to the US was similar. Very old, outdated, no consideration whatsoever to making it the least bit comfortable/attractive and I'm talking basics like perhaps fresh paint or clean carpets.

So, although Rosie mentioned having a lovely little friendly surgery down there in Frome, it all just depends upon where you live. You might get lucky, and you might not.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry about posting this on this thread, but I think it is safe to post here because it contains factual information on "Moving Back to the UK". I try to do that with all my posts - to share not only factual but also practical information that is based upon my personal experience(s) here, in order to be helpful info for those of you who will be moving back home.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 9th 2011 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:54 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have never heard of making it with pasta

I think to make a decent rice pudding here you should try rice flakes ,or rissoto (sp? ) rice ,is that the one you use ?
1. To make rice pudding in the States, all you need to use is long grain rice.

2. To make rice pudding in the UK, they sell what is called dessert rice.

Both the above based upon personal experience.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Thank you for that, Jerseygirl. For some reason, a lot of people around here keep forgetting that fact.

I'd also like to add that just because it's free, doesn't mean it's better. There are a lot of health care horror stories in the UK.

I haven't been to the doctor much since arriving, but I have been on several occasions and it has been my personal experience that I have had to be much more pro-active when meeting with the doctor over here. I have to be honest with you all when I say that I personally do not have the same level of trust/security with health care in general here as I did in the US. Yes, it's free, but I feel like I have to keep a much closer eye on things, double-checking, etc. As I said, there are loads of horror stories and a lot of them have to do with very basic procedures, protocol, etc.

The particular surgery we go to (it's a group practice of several doctors) is a dump, and I mean a real dump. Old building, frayed carpets, outdated EVERYTHING, old, old, old, depressing, unappealing, just plain YUCK. I'm not complaining, I'm just telling it like it is. I accept it for what it is.

The surgery we used to go to 7 years ago before we moved to the US was similar. Very old, outdated, no consideration whatsoever to making it the least bit comfortable/attractive and I'm talking basics like perhaps fresh paint or clean carpets.

So, although Rosie mentioned having a lovely little friendly surgery down there in Frome, it all just depends upon where you live. You might get lucky, and you might not.
I think everyone understands its not free, but you dont have to worry about coming up with $140 dollars or more just for a Doctor visit. Oh and you are not allowed to discuss this here by the way...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Im not unhappy either, I feel so bad for causing all this static on the thread..sorry guys..
You don't have anything to feel badly about.

When is your scan by the way - I lost track amongst all the other stuff that's been going on. And how long will you have to wait for the results?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
You don't have anything to feel badly about.

When is your scan by the way - I lost track amongst all the other stuff that's been going on. And how long will you have to wait for the results?
It is tomorrow sally..and hopefully will only take a couple of days to get the results...its going to be a nervous couple of days..but fingers crossed..
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think windsong was referring to the macaroni pudding.
Do you know ,I thought that - and just left it there ,sorry
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

It is tomorrow sally..and hopefully will only take a couple of days to get the results...its going to be a nervous couple of days..but fingers crossed..
Oh - all the best. I'll be thinking of you and hope everything goes okay and you get good news!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:11 pm
DDL

I think everyone understands its not free, but you dont have to worry about coming up with $140 dollars or more just for a Doctor visit. Oh and you are not allowed to discuss this here by the way...

True. And on the other hand, my husband - with a family history of fatal heart disease - has been waiting almost 3 months now for a simple angiogram appointment. The doctors know his family history, they know the symptoms he has and continues to have (i.e., chest pain). If he were to have a heart attack in the meantime, I'm sure I would have gladly paid anything so that he could have had the tests run.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck ladyinlv!

Originally Posted by DDL
Horror stories are what we Brits do better than anyone. Whereas the US press reflects the optimism of American culture and therefore puts a positive spin on the country at all times, we Brits prefer to flay ourselves by constantly pointing out how awful we are.

There are horror stories in both healthcare systems - it's just that one country has the Daily mail and one doesn't.

I waited 9 months for my first mammogram at 40 despite risk factors. Luckily I was OK, but there are huge waiting lists in this area for that routine and so crucial test.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
True. And on the other hand, my husband - with a family history of fatal heart disease - has been waiting almost 3 months now for a simple angiogram appointment. The doctors know his family history, they know the symptoms he has and continues to have (i.e., chest pain). If he were to have a heart attack in the meantime, I'm sure I would have gladly paid anything so that he could have had the tests run.
that is true, but if you dont have the money here, you are just out of luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.