Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I have never heard of making it with pasta

I think to make a decent rice pudding here you should try rice flakes ,or rissoto (sp? ) rice ,is that the one you use ?
The rice pudding I use Aborio rice, I think that is the one used in Risotto too.I've never had Macaroni pud, tapioca and semolina I do occasionally, but Dh will eat the lot if he's around once it's made. He loves his milk pud Big baby.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I thought you opened the can and chucked it in a pan to cook it.
Typical man, I was in World market today and Ds stood there with a can of ambrosia creamed rice pudding and begged like a puppy. Silly beggar. I didn't buy it.
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The rice pudding I use Aborio rice, I think that is the one used in Risotto too.I've never had Macaroni pud, tapioca and semolina I do occasionally, but Dh will eat the lot if he's around once it's made. He loves his milk pud Big baby.
Yes, Aborio rice is risotto rice. I must try that for rice pudding, too. I normally use regular medium grain rice. I can buy tapioca quite easily. Never found semolina, though - or the right grain for macaroni pudding.
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Congratulations on the house David, hope all goes well with the survey..how exciting for you both. The gazundering sounds amazing, so in other words, anything can happen between the time your offer is accepted and the time contracts are exchanged?
We've been researching cars also, and the Honda Jazz, Ford Fiesta and Vauxhall Astra all seemed to be highly recommended. Apparently, the value of cars drops more quickly in the UK than in Canada, so you get a better deal on a used car there. Don't forget you have to get an MOT there!
We went to Lidyl when we were there in September, great store, but it made me laugh when I saw the spelling, as when I first heard the name spoken, I thought it was "Little"
Good Luck with everything.
I think you are all spelling it wrongly. It is LIDL - a german company name.
_ just sayin' dontheturner
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
I find these comments ''Odd'' to say the least - in Morrisons Supermarket, and I guess others are the same, there are about ten kinds of Rice - including long Grain - the same as USA.-perfect for a rice pudding. if you want a macaroni pudding - just buy some macaroni, dontheturner
That's the whole problem, Don. Macaroni here in the U.S. - elbow macaroni, that is - gives the pudding a totally different texture and flavor. It's not the same grain as in the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
That's the whole problem, Don. Macaroni here in the U.S. - elbow macaroni, that is - gives the pudding a totally different texture and flavor. It's not the same grain as in the UK.
Ive never heard of macaroni pudding personally, my Mom always made the BEST rice pudding, and used regular rice...
Jackie
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well mummy - Now I am confused. Rissoto -- isn't that square pieces of pasta, filled with meat, looking like small ''cushions'' and served with a sweet & sour Sauce? - that's what Rissoto is in UK, (and in Thailand) - mostly served in italian restaurants, -unless made at home. dontheturner
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well mummy - Now I am confused. Rissoto -- isn't that square pieces of pasta, filled with meat, looking like small ''cushions'' and served with a sweet & sour Sauce? - that's what Rissoto is in UK, (and in Thailand) - mostly served in italian restaurants, -unless made at home. dontheturner
Thats ravioli isn't it ?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Thats ravioli isn't it ?
think so.!!!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
think so.!!!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest a separate pasta/rice thread?
BE Forum Addict

Thats ravioli isn't it ?
OH! Hush my mouth! Dear me. just got up - that's my story - and sticking to it! love Don
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
May I suggest a separate pasta/rice thread?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Ive never heard of macaroni pudding personally, my Mom always made the BEST rice pudding, and used regular rice...
Jackie
I'm more of Treacle spong person, Rice and stuff reminds me of vomit, cant stomach it.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Jan 10th 2011 at 1:01 am. Reason: spellin error
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats ravioli isn't it ?
Absolutely Correct Sir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.