Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
AVERAGE MONTHLY COSTS FOR A 2 BEDROOM BUNGALOW JULY 2010
COUNCIL TAX...........................£92 102
HOUSE INSURANCE....................30 34
CAR INSURANCE........................50 48
TV LICENCE.............................12 21
MOT AND CAR TAX....................15 16
ELECTRIC BILL..........................20 £96
GAS BILL.................................100 19
PETROL...................................40 19
WATER ON METER.....................30 10
FOOD FOR TWO........................300 129
BROADBAND AND PHONE.............30 21
MEALS OUT.............................60 ?????? ALL DEPENDS 13
CLOTHES................................50 ?????? ALL DEPENDS 5
MISCL....................................50 10
PUB VISITING..........................200 0

Health Insurance 0 £200.
Rx copay plus ins 0 64

I have put down my monthly budget to the right of yours and I think the total comes out the same. All my numbers, like yours, are in £'s

Your est. £1079 My est. for the US £817
*if you compare the gas & electric combined they are about the same.
Cheers: So the 817 pounds is actually what it costs for the same things in the U.S.?

What do you have for the U.S. equivalent of TV Licence? Is it cable TV cost?

May I ask why you have to pay all that for health insurance? Keep in mind, I have no idea what one does for health insurance upon retirement in the U.S. I am assuming you get it for low cost from a former employer or resort to Medicare.

You have more or less substituted health care costs for pub visits lol!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Won't it be because this particular house is heated by gas and maybe even uses gas for cooking too?

I am really wrestling with what type of home I want if I go back. I just don't like modern houses in little estates - but the houses I do like are all old and therefore drafty and cost a lot to heat. That's exactly what we did here - bought a home with character and now spend a fortune keeping it warm. But every time I look at Rightmove at the new houses, I can't see myself in them.

By the way - has anyone noticed that half of the houses on Rightmove seem to be decorated exactly the same way? Big feature walls with trendy wallpaper, lots of matching cushions, white glossy kitchen cabinets with metal handles ... is everyone buying their stuff from the same few places? I blame Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen and 'Changing Rooms.'
I agree about the newer houses. When my girlfriend in Scotland sent me a photo of the little estate where her daughter lives, it didn't even resemble Scotland, in my opinion. I like the older homes, too - they have character.

How well are the newer homes built?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Won't it be because this particular house is heated by gas and maybe even uses gas for cooking too?

I am really wrestling with what type of home I want if I go back. I just don't like modern houses in little estates - but the houses I do like are all old and therefore drafty and cost a lot to heat. That's exactly what we did here - bought a home with character and now spend a fortune keeping it warm. But every time I look at Rightmove at the new houses, I can't see myself in them.

By the way - has anyone noticed that half of the houses on Rightmove seem to be decorated exactly the same way? Big feature walls with trendy wallpaper, lots of matching cushions, white glossy kitchen cabinets with metal handles ... is everyone buying their stuff from the same few places? I blame Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen and 'Changing Rooms.'
I agree with you, the more modern estate houses are a bit ugly, in my mind. I would be happy with an old terrace or semi, but one that has not been 'done up'. I would like to do that myself, so I would be looking for one that needed updating. Not sure how much we are going to be able to afford once there, but will be looking for the worst house on the best street, warts and all. We are leaning towards the Manchester area, but keep changing our minds since we will inevitably end up where the work is, so trying to keep open minds. I wish I could fast-forward my life, the suspense and anticipation is killing me.

Last edited by Wawa; Dec 29th 2010 at 11:22 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
She said she had bought most of the meal from Marks and Spencers. Even the dessert.
Very often, and maybe all of the time I'm not sure, Marks and Sparks do a wonderful deal whereby you can buy a side dish of your choice, be it vegetables or a mixed salad or whatever, then a main course of your choice - just select as required from a varied range of meals including veggie; then a choice of a dessert; and finally a choice of a bottle of wine to top it all off...all for £10, and easily sufficient to serve two people.

All of the stuff in M & S Food Departments (usually located at basement level down the escalators) is of extremely good quality for freshness, variety and presentation and, not least of all, the sheer quality of the food dishes on offer, and perhaps matched by the foodstuffs at Waitrose supermarkets where you can get similar deals, but most UK supermarkets now offer these sort of deals but M & S is about the best.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, I see what you mean, Don. It's perfect. Love that idea of a free bus to Tesco's every morning. Goodness, even if you only wanted to get out for a while, you can go there for coffee/tea and read the paper and come back and you don't even have to worry about driving. I am beginning to like the idea of not having a car more and more. Of course, I would miss it for the country drives at the weekend, though.
You know, Don, if push comes to shove, you could always rent out a room in your house. I think you will be fine, though. As I find out what it costs to live over there - and with all the senior discounts - I think we will all be better off in the UK than anywhere else.
Hi Windsong - No need for me to worry whether the tenants have gone or not! My Daughter just emailed, to ask for the Burglar Alarm code - as the battery in the Zapper has gone! - So it must be empty! ( I cannot for the life of me, remember how to operate it). But for tesco bus, all you need is your Tesco Clubcard, as they build discounts.- and we have both a UK one, and the Thailand one - so can go together. Don't know, if other towns have a free Tesco Bus though.- Would be worth checking, so we could go to other towns, and use them! How about that? don
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Windsong - No need for me to worry whether the tenants have gone or not! My Daughter just emailed, to ask for the Burglar Alarm code - as the battery in the Zapper has gone! - So it must be empty! ( I cannot for the life of me, remember how to operate it). But for tesco bus, all you need is your Tesco Clubcard, as they build discounts.- and we have both a UK one, and the Thailand one - so can go together. Don't know, if other towns have a free Tesco Bus though.- Would be worth checking, so we could go to other towns, and use them! How about that? don
That's great news! Sounds as if it will be ready and waiting for you when you get there, Don
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Denise loved reading your post, be us all one day! I know what you mean about Christmas, this was the weirdest for me.......my children were really not interested too much, with no little ones it gets to be a non event. Big hugs though on missing your grandchildren.
Windsong so you have a while but you have a plan and believe me time flies!
Trotty i am so ready for a coffee next week!!!!! If you trust me to drive....
Thanks for the price comparisions Taffy and Cheers.
Pam hope you have a safe trip.
Barb not long now.........

Rodney how much was your excess...( just in case he pops in) and Fish time for you to come back now.!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

You must post some pics, Don. I'd love to see it
No problem, Have done before. but will do now.
Tim is outside swan gate in 2007.
I don'tknow which order the pics are in, But the Blue fronted shop is Greggs! and the chairs one, is my birthday party here in our courtyard.

don

Oh Dear, why the Party shot has done that - I have no idea. don
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-13-08-2007-10-21-09_0004.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-02-08-2007-08-59-09_0004.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-23-07-2007-11-34-23_0027.jpg  

Last edited by dontheturner; Dec 30th 2010 at 1:28 am. Reason: Error
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Don,
I think you said you will have an income of £1000 per month from pensions. Don't you think you will be good with that since your house is paid for?

Cheers
No. Not enough to live on. We have house insurance, Car insurance, Council tax, Car Tax, electricitiy, Gas, and gas maintenance insurance, drain and Sewer maintenance insurance, Internet broadband ( Cable) Telephone, Water Meter,,Window Cleaner, ( Tim could do downstairs, but not up). Petrol, so not quite enough, tried it, and was losing our savings, so that is why we came here. But I want to go home!!! and very little saved, ( got to get furniture & old car if possible) as the exchange rate is losing my pension, week by week,,, Thailand has a very strong economy - not like the West. dontheturner
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

No problem, Have done before. but will do now.
Tim is outside swan gate in 2007.
I don'tknow which order the pics are in, But the Blue fronted shop is Greggs! and the chairs one, is my birthday party here in our courtyard.

don

Oh Dear, why the Party shot has done that - I have no idea. don
Don, it looks LOVELY! No wonder you want to go home

I love the setting for your party, too. I bet that was one heck of a party!!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Denise loved reading your post, be us all one day! I know what you mean about Christmas, this was the weirdest for me.......my children were really not interested too much, with no little ones it gets to be a non event. Big hugs though on missing your grandchildren.
Windsong so you have a while but you have a plan and believe me time flies!
Trotty i am so ready for a coffee next week!!!!! If you trust me to drive....
Thanks for the price comparisions Taffy and Cheers.
Pam hope you have a safe trip.
Barb not long now.........

Rodney how much was your excess...( just in case he pops in) and Fish time for you to come back now.!
Hi Charley, yes time does fly. In ways I don't want to wish it would fly by but, on the other hand, I do
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

No. Not enough to live on. We have house insurance, Car insurance, Council tax, Car Tax, electricitiy, Gas, and gas maintenance insurance, drain and Sewer maintenance insurance, Internet broadband ( Cable) Telephone, Water Meter,,Window Cleaner, ( Tim could do downstairs, but not up). Petrol, so not quite enough, tried it, and was losing our savings, so that is why we came here. But I want to go home!!! and very little saved, ( got to get furniture & old car if possible) as the exchange rate is losing my pension, week by week,,, Thailand has a very strong economy - not like the West. dontheturner
I worry, too, Don. Although when I return in three years time I will have a monthly income of about $2210 U.S. that only equates to about 1430 pounds at today's exchange rate and I have to pay rent out of that. I do plan to work for a few years but there's a difference between wanting to work and HAVING to work. I am concerned as well.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I worry, too, Don. Although when I return in three years time I will have a monthly income of about $2210 U.S. that only equates to about 1430 pounds at today's exchange rate and I have to pay rent out of that. I do plan to work for a few years but there's a difference between wanting to work and HAVING to work. I am concerned as well.
Hello Again, After typing that about Tesco Buses. I googled it - and ended up looking ay the guardian articles about Tesco - do have look at Tesco Towns, springing up all over the UK, lots of Adverse Comments, some true, but many a bit tongue in cheek , I fear. yes many towns have free Tesco buses, even Birmingham! They also biuld houses. didn't know that. Worth checking out.

The party, also had a dance band, and lady singer! who arrived with truck loads of loud gear. Don
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Friends.

I'm finally back after being away for 10 days, I could have got on a computer but I was with one of my sisters and family and wanted to enjoy every moment, I can see I have a bit of catching up to do, reading and replying to posts aimed at me directly, so here goes.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison

SALLY I am sorry but I really find this double standards.... When I immigrated to Canada I did so to start a new life, and integrate with my new country. I find it hard for people who have lived in a country for years to suddenly renounce it. I am Irish I will always be Irish born, but I have taken Canadian Citizenship and am also very proud of it. I love parts of the uk and would willingly live in the nicer parts (hypocrite) but thats me, But I have great memories of Canada too and won't rubbish it. Can I pose a question and I am opening a can of worms, but am not being judgmental, but I would like to pose the question, How many would return to the UK if they had the healthcare they have in the uk? not being funny just curious as a lot of the unhappiness in expats from the USA seems to be because they are getting older and the healthcare in the USA is so expensive??? Again I am not being judgemental, as I would probably do the same, just would love to read honest to god accounts, "if people had the same health care would they consider coming back" denise 2

DeniseJ

I for one would be more likely to stay here in the USA if we had a healthcare system, exactly like the system in the UK, set up exactly the same, One system for all, a country where nobody would be left out.

I truly fear going bankrupt before I retire, I really feel for Americans stuck here with this system, at least I have options, Of course many people are brainwashed that a system like the NHS would be much worse then what they have right now, tell that to ten million people over the next ten years who will go medically bankrupt.

American has some strange system, they take care of the young and the old to degree but us in the middle seem to pay for it all, add to that all the corruption in the medical system, there are plenty of scammers abusing the system, fraud is rampant, its very sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.