Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:54 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

US Tax after leaving US back to UK.
I am happy to report that Tax Filing to US from UK as USC's that all went well for this first time.

We prepared tax online using TurboTax as always but did have to print and mail in our reports.
Within 3 weeks of mailing the Fed refund was deposited direct to our US bank, and within 6 weeks the state refund was received by post here in UK, needing only to mail it now to US bank
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

How come you were eligible for a refund? Was this on taxes paid before you left?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 4:02 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How come you were eligible for a refund? Was this on taxes paid before you left?
Yes, we were employed in US for half year before we left, but those payments were then stretched over the whole year putting us into lower bracket
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Ah got it! Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Just in rural areas - surely it must be the same in Australia? There's no way they could have laid water pipes over all that land.

I honestly don't know Sally as I always lived in the 'burbs.......just turn the water on and it comes straight out of your tap, I think it comes from big reservoirs?

The things you take for granted..........
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cheers
You could sent it to me and I could figure it out.
thats a very kind offer but I am sure my grandson will help me once I get back ( he will probably want to relieve me of it !!!!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I honestly don't know Sally as I always lived in the 'burbs.......just turn the water on and it comes straight out of your tap, I think it comes from big reservoirs?

The things you take for granted..........
you mean it doesn't ?
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello All. First just want to say to Rodney I hope he is feeling better after his operation and all went well.

Thankyou all for your warm thoughts. I did not want to put you through the roller coaster ride I have been on. Its been one of the worst times in my life. So much hung on the sale of the house I dont think I could bear it for everything to fall through.

Here is the update:

The house Radon was clear(air quality) we still have the radon in the water but like I said NH has the lowest passing level in the whole of NE. The buyers finally got back to the agent and said that they were fine with it. I think they might have had their own well tested and it might have been much higher. That hurdle was passed but then the water test for quality got mixed up with someone else's it turned out our's did not pass, we do have coliform in it. But that is a quick solution. The people who take care of the well are coming tomorrow and they are going to 'shock the well' and retest. Something like pouring bleach down the well and washing it out. The bacteria comes from the top soil contaminants that make there way down to the well not from the actual well water itself. At the moment I am not using the well water to drink or cook with just to be on the safe side although I do not know how long the problem has been there.

So that is the last of the tests and we are back on track. The next is the Bank Appraisal. Which should be soon. We did ask to push back the closing for 2 weeks as I could not do anything in the state I was. I felt sick all the time.

Today we went to look at another rental property which is on Rye Harbour. Its beautiful. We are meeting the estate agent on Saturday and will probably put a deposit on it if all goes well. We will move in all being well the last week in September.

I am still feeling fragile and not back to my old self but I am sure I will get there once we get the appraisal done.

I have bought a stack of stickies and will go round the house putting different colours on things I want to take back to the Uk and things I am giving to charity and stuff that is going to our children. I just need a few days rest. But I am feeling better but will not feel completely safe till we sign the contract.

I went out with Charleygirl this morning we went to SS to update our records. Then we went for coffee. She is doing much better. We had coffee in Portsmouth. It is beatiful we sat outside, there are some lovely places in the US.

It would be worth mentioning to all those thinking of selling your homes if you have a well to get the water checked and to see what types of tests are required before you sell your home. Do you need Radon tests. You can save yourself alot of worry if you get things fixed before selling.
so glad you somewhat back on track
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The things you take for granted.....
many homes used and relied water tanks in the past, often filled by a water cart if the rains didnt come. At some stage this was discouraged in towns but after a change of regulations homes are now encouraged by a change of ideas and are utilising tanks again catching rain runoff but as a complement to the town water.

We had a spear pump or bore, tapping the water table, which is not potable but allows the watering of the gardens without using our piped "city" water that comes from the big dams and reservoirs and has high costs.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 6th 2011 at 9:52 am. Reason: trying to fix the quotes
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Another update......The 'drilled well' company came this morning. Took the lid off the well which is about 8" in diameter. Poured bleach and tablets down the well and then turned the pump on and reflowed the water back into the well to mix the bleach up. Then they came in the house and flushed all the loo's and turned all the taps on and showers till the water turned brown and then left. We are not to touch the system for another 24hours. Then I have to go outside and run the hose for as long as it takes for the water to no longer smell of bleach and for it to look a good colour. Then I have to come back into the house and run all the showers and taps and washing machine and the loo's. I have to wait another 24hours before getting another sample taken making sure to run the water and use the dish washer and everything else before this is done. What a mess. The well chap said most people who use wells do not realize that they have bacteria growing. They only find out when they are about to sell.
Well's should be sanitized every year at most 2 years. Who knew that At least we only had a lower form of bacteria not salmonella.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Another update......The 'drilled well' company came this morning. Took the lid off the well which is about 8" in diameter. Poured bleach and tablets down the well and then turned the pump on and reflowed the water back into the well to mix the bleach up. Then they came in the house and flushed all the loo's and turned all the taps on and showers till the water turned brown and then left. We are not to touch the system for another 24hours. Then I have to go outside and run the hose for as long as it takes for the water to no longer smell of bleach and for it to look a good colour. Then I have to come back into the house and run all the showers and taps and washing machine and the loo's. I have to wait another 24hours before getting another sample taken making sure to run the water and use the dish washer and everything else before this is done. What a mess. The well chap said most people who use wells do not realize that they have bacteria growing. They only find out when they are about to sell.
Well's should be sanitized every year at most 2 years. Who knew that At least we only had a lower form of bacteria not salmonella.
Trotty........who would have known??? This is America and all I thought we had to do was turn on the faucets. I do hope it all works out fine for you.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

trotty thanks for good wishes on my Op ---- and of course that goes to all the other people on here too,

Happy to report that my Op went well, and all I feel on the second day after Op is a little soreness inside my stomach, that keyhole surgery is great,

trotty you have running water in your house, taps, shower, dishwasher ect ect ------- so I just dont know why you have to use the well for water? but anyway glad to hear that its slowly coming around for you getting closer to the signing of the contract ---- that will be the time to crack open the Champaign I would say
Rodney.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
trotty thanks for good wishes on my Op ---- and of course that goes to all the other people on here too,

Happy to report that my Op went well, and all I feel on the second day after Op is a little soreness inside my stomach, that keyhole surgery is great,

trotty you have running water in your house, taps, shower, dishwasher ect ect ------- so I just dont know why you have to use the well for water? but anyway glad to hear that its slowly coming around for you getting closer to the signing of the contract ---- that will be the time to crack open the Champaign I would say
Rodney.
erhum. Rodney glad it is over with the op.

trotty gets the water for the facets etc. from the well. The days are gone when you took the bucket to the well and dropped the rope down.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

Rodney.
Rod, Im glad you are well...

Speaking of well, my sister has a well, it has a pump that brings the water up a pipe, it then goes to the house and becomes your running water, this is how country folk live, when the well runs dry she has to pay someone thousands to drill for more water...

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Aug 6th 2011 at 4:46 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rod, Im glad you are well...

Speaking of well, my sister has a well, it has a pump that brings the water up a pipe, it then goes to the house and becomes your running water, this is how country folk live, when the well runs dry she has to pay someone thousands to drill to more water...

Rule Britannia!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.