Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 19th 2011, 3:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

A wise person I once knew said "when making a big life decision, always make sure you're running towards something, not running away from something."

I think that applies here. Rodney was running towards healthcare and towards his family. Those reasons are enough to sustain him through periods of missing the US.

But if you don't have anything to run to in the UK except a vague sense that it's 'home,' then there's nothing there for you when you get back.

If I try to think about what I'll miss in the USA, it's not much and it's all material stuff. When I think about what I'm heading back to, it's all the stuff that matters - our oldest friends, our siblings, and our now aging parents. Whatever else I am in the UK, I won't be lonely the way I have been here. So while I have doubts, I know that I am definitely running towards and not running away.

I hope each person making such a huge move goes through this thought process and asks themselves what they're running towards before making the move.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Well folks, just thought I would send an update.
I am moving back to Vegas in July..I must admit, I feel like a fish out of water here and I miss the US..I love this country, and my parents, but I find myself getting very depressed ..
I gave it a try, but I cant live here. I am going back to my old job, and place I lived, and hope to get health insurance through work again.
Anyway, I know this is not everyones experience, and I am honestly surprised that I feel this way, but I have for a few months now..I think I am more American than English now, and I want to go home.
Good luck to everyone else moving back..its not the country, its me..
Jackie.

Wow Jackie, I am very surprised to hear this and often wondered where you were. But anyway you just have to do what is right for YOU. Please do keep us updated and good luck in your move back and hope the job goes well and all of that.

Do keep us updated when you return, and try and see a little bit more of Merry Olde England before you flit back.

As I have always said on this whole BE forum it's all about how you FEEL, no amount of lists will do it, and nobody can fake their inner feelings, it either works or it doesn't........

Take Care
Barb

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 19th 2011 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Well folks I think I am the first here to have visited Europe? Well except of course for Anna who lives there.

Soooo I had to go to Antwerp, Belgium for a work related seminar for new employees. They paid for my colleague and I to fly out of here on Wednesday night, put us up in a 4 star hotel until we flew out this morning Sunday from Brussels.

It's an American company I work for and I of course work in the European division of it. At the seminar there where about 30 or so other new employees from all over Europe, all the managers were having a meeting at the same time so we got to meet all of them too, mainly American young guys with crew cuts and called Matt or Brad.

It was SOOO interesting to be in a non English speaking country and I found Antwerp fascinating as I am a people watcher, though lots of people weren't keen on the place. It's a very multi-cultural society with an extremely high population of ultra Orthodox Jews and it was like stepping back in time as they rode past on their bikes fully dressed in traditional gear.....

Oh and push bikes are EVERYWHERE, not your trendy mountain bikes, but just any old bike seems to do, it was so funny as in Australia it is illegal to drive without a bike helmet yet there everybody young, old, male and female had none......

It was a full on seminar with not much free time so I didn't get to do as much as I would have liked but I am not complaining as everything was included, all meals except for Friday when we finished at 3pm and had some free time, but hey I can always visit again, just a few hours away and there you have it - right on your doorstep, EUROPE!!!

I will post some pics later.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 19th 2011 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well folks I think I am the first here to have visited Europe? Well except of course for Anna who lives there.

Soooo I had to go to Antwerp, Belgium for a work related seminar for new employees. They paid for my colleague and I to fly out of here on Wednesday night, put us up in a 4 star hotel until we flew out this morning Sunday from Brussels.

It's an American company I work for and I of course work in the European division of it. At the seminar there where about 30 or so other new employees from all over Europe, all the managers were having a meeting at the same time so we got to meet all of them too, mainly American young guys with crew cuts and called Matt or Brad.

It was SOOO interesting to be in a non English speaking country and I found Antwerp fascinating as I am a people watcher, though lots of people weren't keen on the place. It's a very multi-cultural society with an extremely high population of ultra Orthodox Jews and it was like stepping back in time as they rode past on their bikes fully dressed in traditional gear.....

Oh and push bikes are EVERYWHERE, not your trendy mountain bikes, but just any old bike seems to do, it was so funny as in Australia it is illegal to drive without a bike helmet yet there everybody young, old, male and female had none......

It was a full on seminar with not much free time so I didn't get to do as much as I would have liked but I am not complaining as everything was included, all meals except for Friday when we finished at 3pm and had some free time, but hey I can always visit again, just a few hours away and there you have it - right on your doorstep, EUROPE!!!

How wonderful Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

You had better

do you have to wear a helmet in the UK?

Did you indulge in any Belgium chocolate?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
You had better

I should of course have said, ride not drive.

I don't think it is a law in the UK to wear a bike helmet as I more see people without than with......

I only had a little bit of Belgian chocolate as you can buy it in the UK anyway, but I did overindulge in lots of other very nice food, they have lovely cakes and waffles there.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Beedubya;9442826]I should of course have said, ride not drive. I didn't even notice anyway I think you can drive a cycle.

/QUOTE]
I'm interested to know how the Vauxhall car is doing?

Yea! pay day for you next week.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
A wise person I once knew said "when making a big life decision, always make sure you're running towards something, not running away from something."

I think that applies here. Rodney was running towards healthcare and towards his family. Those reasons are enough to sustain him through periods of missing the US.

But if you don't have anything to run to in the UK except a vague sense that it's 'home,' then there's nothing there for you when you get back.

If I try to think about what I'll miss in the USA, it's not much and it's all material stuff. When I think about what I'm heading back to, it's all the stuff that matters - our oldest friends, our siblings, and our now aging parents. Whatever else I am in the UK, I won't be lonely the way I have been here. So while I have doubts, I know that I am definitely running towards and not running away.

I hope each person making such a huge move goes through this thought process and asks themselves what they're running towards before making the move.
An Excellent post Sally... it makes perfect sense to me...

I've Enjoyed Rodneys recent posts too, Very deep and Honest... Thanks Rodney...
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Agreed on both counts Fish, and isn't Rodney a dark horse?? I am sure we never heard the story of how he went back to the UK to live all those years ago.........
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Agreed.
I wanted to add Rodney you are turning into quite the wise dude!

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jun 19th 2011 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
You had better

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbwin...7626874606311/

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 19th 2011 at 8:28 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Surely there must have been at least one Chip ;-)

How long did it take to get there? Did you fly from Manchester?

I love the photos!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I love the photos!
Nah, Chip is reserved for the rich northeastern boys.
Theres lots of Brad and Matts around here too.
Love the pics.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Well Im not moving back to UK but FINALLY booked my reservations. Leaving in September. going for just over 4 weeks. Got fantastic fare (I think) from Phx to Manchester for $770 round trip. Not bad..
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

I love the photos!
Ha Ha Sally and Pauline, they were all so similar like clones LOL!!

Well there was a bit of a stuff up by the person who arranges the tickets........soooo we flew from Manchester to Amsterdam on KLM got a train to Antwerp and then a taxi to the hotel, talk about Planes, Trains and Automobiles!! Altogether took 6 hours plus.

Then we found out our return train ticket was wrong, so our European Sales Manager (he is based in our office) was there so he sorted it out for us and changed our ticketing as he was flying to Manchester himself, so we got a taxi with him from Antwerp to Brussels, then a plane directly into Manchester, left the hotel at 0745 got into Manchester at 1105!!

The flight itself on Brussels Airlines was less than an hour and a half.

So at 11.30 (local time 10.30) I was home in my own kitchen putting the kettle on for a nice English cuppa.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 19th 2011 at 8:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.