Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by fulwood
Well Im not moving back to UK but FINALLY booked my reservations. Leaving in September. going for just over 4 weeks. Got fantastic fare (I think) from Phx to Manchester for $770 round trip. Not bad..
Yay! Good for you! We just booked a week's trip in Sept. for $770 each from JFK, which is really good because a few weeks ago, prices were $1,200 each.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics Barb. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Well Im not moving back to UK but FINALLY booked my reservations. Leaving in September. going for just over 4 weeks. Got fantastic fare (I think) from Phx to Manchester for $770 round trip. Not bad..
Wow!!

I had heard that you get standing room for that cheap!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
A wise person I once knew said "when making a big life decision, always make sure you're running towards something, not running away from something."

I think that applies here. Rodney was running towards healthcare and towards his family. Those reasons are enough to sustain him through periods of missing the US.

But if you don't have anything to run to in the UK except a vague sense that it's 'home,' then there's nothing there for you when you get back.

If I try to think about what I'll miss in the USA, it's not much and it's all material stuff. When I think about what I'm heading back to, it's all the stuff that matters - our oldest friends, our siblings, and our now aging parents. Whatever else I am in the UK, I won't be lonely the way I have been here. So while I have doubts, I know that I am definitely running towards and not running away.

I hope each person making such a huge move goes through this thought process and asks themselves what they're running towards before making the move.
Sally BRAVO ----- this post of yours just about describes me and my reasons I want to live in England,and why I came back home thanks, Im not much really so good with words but thanks for putting it all so well and at the same time making it sound so simple, yes I had at least a couple of good reasons for coming back, Family, health care, and retirement all in that order, and if I think about it Im sure I can come up with many more things I love about living here, but without those top three, I wouldn't have all the rest ---- cause if I didn't have those things to run towards then I wouldn't have come, what for?

And at least I know that I will not be lonely ever again

Sally my Daughter called me up to day and said what are you doing for lunch? I said nothing, she said meet her downtown at a certain place Im takeing you to lunch, Ill meet you at 1pm, so we met and we had a lovely lunch and a great talk, she handed me this big carrier bag, it wAS SO COLORFUL AND IN BIG WORDS IT SAID (DADS BAG) on the front and back, INside was a whole bunch of gifts and cards, including a box of cadburys chocs, and a nice big bottle of brandy from her and my grandkids ----- you know I have always known that my Daughter loved me even though I have been away for most of her life, but today guess what ---- nothing to do with the presents or lunch, as she has always every year sent me a Fathers day card, ---- and presents when she could afford them, every year I was away in USA she never missed a year with a birthday or Fathers day card,
But today was different, it was real special, probably cause its the first time we have spent Fathers day or part of it together,
It was special like when my Son took me out for lunch on my Birthday a couple of weeks ago, hey this is great --- Im getting to know my kids and they are getting to know me, we are starting to get close bit by bit,
So you can see why I put FAMILY at the very top of my list, I can see now how important they are to me, ---- I can see it now very clearly, now I know what I have missed all these years, but also I feel so guilty leaving them when I did, but as my Daughter said to me when she picked me up at heathrow last December 1st 2010 ---- she put her arms around me and gave me this terrific bear hug and kissed me gently on the cheek and whispered in my ear ---- dont worry about a thing Dad ---- YOUR HOME NOW
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ha Ha Sally and Pauline, they were all so similar like clones LOL!!

Well there was a bit of a stuff up by the person who arranges the tickets........soooo we flew from Manchester to Amsterdam on KLM got a train to Antwerp and then a taxi to the hotel, talk about Planes, Trains and Automobiles!! Altogether took 6 hours plus.

Then we found out our return train ticket was wrong, so our European Sales Manager (he is based in our office) was there so he sorted it out for us and changed our ticketing as he was flying to Manchester himself, so we got a taxi with him from Antwerp to Brussels, then a plane directly into Manchester, left the hotel at 0745 got into Manchester at 1105!!

The flight itself on Brussels Airlines was less than an hour and a half.

So at 11.30 (local time 10.30) I was home in my own kitchen putting the kettle on for a nice English cuppa.
Looks like there maybe an opening in the company travel department soon.

I saw all the pictures and there didn't seem to be many people around?
At first I thought it maybe because it was the Sabbath but the photo date on some of them was Friday. Maybe the workers flee the city in the evening when you took them?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney has a lot of stock in the Klennex Corporation
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Agreed on both counts Fish, and isn't Rodney a dark horse?? I am sure we never heard the story of how he went back to the UK to live all those years ago.........
No Barb I never told that story before,
Im so happy for you that your Job is going great for you, and international travel too Huh, I must take the ferry over there maybe to Brussels one day soon, do you think my Mum will come with me?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
An Excellent post Sally... it makes perfect sense to me...

I've Enjoyed Rodneys recent posts too, Very deep and Honest... Thanks Rodney...
Your welcome Fish, and thanks!!!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Agreed.
I wanted to add Rodney you are turning into quite the wise dude!
Thanks Mummy but I dont feel wise ---- just really happy and contented,
and loving life,
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

=cheers;9443109]Rodney has a lot of stock in the Klennex Corporation[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, brilliant post thank you.
Rodney you made me cry ....AGAIN.......
Fulwood have a great trip, Aries, aw I feel your pain and uncertainty, just keep your eye on the price and read Sallys words. So very true.

Today I went to a party on my street and for the first time told our neighbours I am leaving in 10 weeks, there was lots of shock and horror, been here in the neighbourhood for 10 and half years, we were the second family to move into this neighbourhood, and there is only about 25 homes, we know everyone. It was very hard to tell them I am getting divorced, and leaving, I have watched all the children on this street grow up, mine are the oldest all the others are 12 and under.
I felt sad and got some hugs goodbye from members of the family whose party it was, see they kind of adopted us as we have no family here and we were always invited to all their family do's. It was tough and reality set in for me.
Although I have been very unhappy for a very long time, it will be hard. I am leaving my children behind and many friends, my divorce will be final at the end of July.
I have no idea how I will fair but I have to do this for me. I am 60 later this year, if I dont I feel it will be too late. my mum is 88 not in good health and I want to be with her.
time will tell if I can settle over there without my children, and for those who do not know me so well, I have twin girls almost 19 and a son 20 and a half who do not want to move back to the UK, we have been here 14 years next month.
My one way ticket to home is August 27th.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was suprised by how cheap fare was as well. It was only a brief window as well like between Sept 9-Sept 12 departure. Yep not been to UK in the Fall so it will be nice..
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl

time will tell if I can settle over there without my children, and for those who do not know me so well, I have twin girls almost 19 and a son 20 and a half who do not want to move back to the UK, we have been here 14 years next month.
I keep repeating that the move isn't the end of the world and that you can hop back here for a visit each year if you need to.
I also understand that airline tickets are much cheaper from the UK side.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Fulwood have a great trip, Aries, aw I feel your pain and uncertainty, just keep your eye on the price and read Sallys words. So very true.

Today I went to a party on my street and for the first time told our neighbours I am leaving in 10 weeks, there was lots of shock and horror, been here in the neighbourhood for 10 and half years, we were the second family to move into this neighbourhood, and there is only about 25 homes, we know everyone. It was very hard to tell them I am getting divorced, and leaving, I have watched all the children on this street grow up, mine are the oldest all the others are 12 and under.
I felt sad and got some hugs goodbye from members of the family whose party it was, see they kind of adopted us as we have no family here and we were always invited to all their family do's. It was tough and reality set in for me.
Although I have been very unhappy for a very long time, it will be hard. I am leaving my children behind and many friends, my divorce will be final at the end of July.
I have no idea how I will fair but I have to do this for me. I am 60 later this year, if I dont I feel it will be too late. my mum is 88 not in good health and I want to be with her.
Wow Charleygirl - you have some major changes happening in your life right now. Just want to say - all the best to you for your future.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Awww hugs It's going to be tough. But I'm sure your Mom is going to appreciate having you back.
Maybe the kids will visit a few times and join you, eventually, you never can tell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.