Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I have wondered why they cannot put all theses people who have been on benefits all of their lives and really don't want to work cleaning the streets for their money. No work, no money. I notice the garbage especially when on the train going into Glasgow Central, it boggles the mind. Especially the houses that back onto the train lines, they just seem to throw all their not needed items down the bank, sickening, makes me very ashamed of being British, never thought I would say that.

But I think, what must tourists coming from overseas think when they get. here
Ed, I feel exactly the same way, cleaning up isn't rocket science, its an easy job.

Whatever happened to pride, why throw any trash down when you could take it home with you or throw it in a bin.

America does have trash by the roadside, local inmates crews in Oregon are made to clean it up, The Cities are very clean.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:14 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Both my children did European history at their High School here in Ohio. Obviously it was an elective - not mandatory - but with their background they wanted to take it. They took the AP (Advanced Placement) course too and did very well in the exam.

Back in the 60s I was taught World History and World Geography in High School, and it's still taught as you point out above, Derrygal. My oldest daughter also took AP courses/exams which really helped her uni placement.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:16 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandrui
We have an annual pothole count here

There's one here, as well http://www.potholes.co.uk/
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Lets remember distances are different in the UK than the US. Example, we go 250 miles round trip to the dentist in the US and I'm sure I would balk at driving 20 miles in the UK.
In answer, and if I can answer for Rod, yes 200 miles in the UK is a heck of a long way and it could put a lot of stress on his sister.
When I drive from Heathrow to Bristol it seems longer than driving from San Fransisco to LA. I can't explain it.
Julie what cheers says here is a fact about the difference in driving 200 miles in UK verses the same distance in the States,
Cheers also mentioned the stress on my Sister, this is the problem, my Mum and I need to go together, Mum is not in terrific health anymore and a 200 mile car/coach/train journey really takes it out of her and wears her down, wouldn't be so bad if we could sleep overnight at my Sisters house like we used to do, My Sisters carer is her Son and he has become impossible to deal with and he will not allow anyone to stay overnight anymore, hes rather strange im afraid, so last time we did it all in one day, my Mum was exhausted and took her 3 days to get back to normal, she is 91 you know, when we can afford it we will book a night at a B&B but we would need three rooms, one for me, one for mum, and one for my Nephew and wife, and it can get really expensive,
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Virgin Atlantic to launch a new route.

Virgin Atlantic, 51 per cent owned by Branson and 49 per cent by Singapore Airlines, is also launching a new route between Manchester and Las Vegas

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...#ixzz1GQ8PdqOe
Cheers you are so darn knowlegable, I thought Branson owned 100% of Virgin, Wow how did you know that?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Windsong.. So am I. I think you really need to look at education in the UK. The US is vast and I know many poorer areas have bad education and I have always said they need more help I believe it has to do with towns giving the money to the schools instead of the State .
If you want the truth my kids would knock spots of some of their conterparts in the UK with regard to what they know. They dont drink and they dont smoke like many young people in the UK. But I am being unfare when I say that, I am making an assumption that all kids in the Uk are dumb and smoke and drink.
School in the Uk has changed I listen to my neice moan about it. She managed to get her youngest into a private school because she didnt want him to go to the local school. Rotten teachers and no control Could have been anywhere in the US. This is a worldwide problem not just associated with one country.
I'm sure things will improve now that Jamie is coming to the rescue:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...hool-interview

(Where's the yawn smiley when you need it?)
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers you are so darn knowlegable, I thought Branson owned 100% of Virgin, Wow how did you know that?
Not wanting to take anything away from Cheers, it's called CUT or COPY and PASTE!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm sure things will improve now that Jamie is coming to the rescue:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...hool-interview

(Where's the yawn smiley when you need it?)
Dunroving what is your impression of the damage that has been done to the State Education System in the UK as a result of the endless tinkering with it, in terms of overall political strategy, setting of targets, examinations, top-up fees and the need to maintain a supply of quality teachers etc .etc?

I was interested to see that a number of universities are thinking of setting their own examinations as they simply aren't satisfied that A levels are a good enough measure of the quality of candidates to provide their desired supply of good undergraduates. What is more, employers are ever moaning that there are no quality candidates at interview time as well, as universities are churning out graduates who are often incapable of putting forward a reasoned argument on a given topic.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 13th 2011 at 12:22 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
My Sisters carer is her Son and he has become impossible to deal with and he will not allow anyone to stay overnight anymore, hes rather strange im afraid
I am sorry to hear that Rodney. Has he (your Sisters son) always been strange or has it devoloped more recently? The reason I ask is I know it is really stressful to be a carer for another. Do you think he is fit to look after your sister and are there any others involved with her care? My step-son is in a Hospice and receives 24/7 wonderful care in a really lovely environment, so I do know how good care can be. It seems we are going thro the same sort of thing but in kinda different circumstances - Hubby and I do feel for you and your mother. Sometimes the grief process starts before the person we love actually passes. This, we feel, has started with us - do you feel the same?

Julie xo
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Dunroving what is your impression of the damage that has been done to the State Education System in the UK as a result of the endless tinkering with it, in terms of overall political strategy, setting of targets, examinations, top-up fees and the need to maintain a supply of quality teachers etc .etc?

I was interested to see that a number of universities are thinking of setting their own examinations as they simply aren't satisfied that A levels are a good enough measure of the quality of candidates to provide their desired supply of good undergraduates. What is more, employers are ever moaning that there are no quality candidates at interview time as well, as universities are churning out graduates who are often incapable of putting forward a reasoned argument on a given topic.
Oh, blimey, don't get me started ... OK, in brief:

Interesting commentary by AA Gill on Jamie's Dream School program in last week's Sunday Times Culture magazine (books/TV, etc.), referring to the problems in UK education that have crept in over the past 10-20 years, and the fakeness of Jamie's premise of supposedly being able to do what teachers can't do, simply by bunging a load of money, celebrities and fancy activities. To paraphrase:

Huge classes
Lack of cash
A restrictive and relentless national curriculum
Round-the-clock OFSTED form-filling
Inspections, forms, tests, health and safety

... in fact, some of the celebrities brought in to work miracles on a bunch of 20 children who had poor GCSE results highlighted how out of touch celebs are with the realities of coal-face teaching. You can't, for example, crack jokes about a fat kid (as David Starkey did). And you can't just take kids sailing (and anyway, how does this tie in with studying hard?)

I see the outcomes of a Narcissist-focused philosophy (never say work is not satisfactory; praise everything) of latter-day teaching in current university students. Appalling writing skills, lack of basic knowledge in maths and science, poor work ethic, etc., matched with a sense of entitlement without merit and an inflated sense of ability.

To be clear, I have taught (from primary school to university and community education) for over 30 years and love the job. I'd never want to go back to the days when teachers could give kids the slipper, and boring "chalk and talk" was the norm, but I think the term "student-centred" is applied only to rights and wants, and not student responsibilities. The opinions I am writing here are not even "allowed" in today's PC-obsessed culture. I don't live in a fantasy world, I live in the real world.

OK, rant over. You did ask. There are some good schools and some good teachers, and good students with good parents will still succeed, but in general current standards of UK education are not the same as they were when some of our current posters were in school.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, blimey, don't get me started ... OK, in brief:

Interesting commentary by AA Gill on Jamie's Dream School program in last week's Sunday Times Culture magazine (books/TV, etc.), referring to the problems in UK education that have crept in over the past 10-20 years, and the fakeness of Jamie's premise of supposedly being able to do what teachers can't do, simply by bunging a load of money, celebrities and fancy activities. To paraphrase:

Huge classes
Lack of cash
A restrictive and relentless national curriculum
Round-the-clock OFSTED form-filling
Inspections, forms, tests, health and safety

... in fact, some of the celebrities brought in to work miracles on a bunch of 20 children who had poor GCSE results highlighted how out of touch celebs are with the realities of coal-face teaching. You can't, for example, crack jokes about a fat kid (as David Starkey did). And you can't just take kids sailing (and anyway, how does this tie in with studying hard?)

I see the outcomes of a Narcissist-focused philosophy (never say work is not satisfactory; praise everything) of latter-day teaching in current university students. Appalling writing skills, lack of basic knowledge in maths and science, poor work ethic, etc., matched with a sense of entitlement without merit and an inflated sense of ability.

To be clear, I have taught (from primary school to university and community education) for over 30 years and love the job. I'd never want to go back to the days when teachers could give kids the slipper, and boring "chalk and talk" was the norm, but I think the term "student-centred" is applied only to rights and wants, and not student responsibilities. The opinions I am writing here are not even "allowed" in today's PC-obsessed culture. I don't live in a fantasy world, I live in the real world.

OK, rant over. You did ask. There are some good schools and some good teachers, and good students with good parents will still succeed, but in general current standards of UK education are not the same as they were when some of our current posters were in school.
Thanks for that! I'll need to take your points "on board' but there's nothing there that surprises me greatly or I have not already been aware of, particularly in your "I see the outcome....." paragraph.

I'm trying to make choices as we still have one school-age kid (and I'm sixty next week ) who would be due to consider tertiary education in four years or so. I have one who has a good MA at Glasgow and an MSc there who is a waiter at the moment for want of anything in his chosen field which is City & Regional Planning in spite of more than usual action north of the border. So I'm doubly apprehensive.

I'm sorry I can't get hold of AA Gill online for this one as it's subscription. He's a harsh reviewer though, when he's in a good frame of mind.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 13th 2011 at 1:37 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:24 pm
Ping-ponger

Thanks for that! I'll need to take your points "on board' but there's nothing there that surprises me greatly or I have not already been aware of, particularly in your "I see the outcome....." paragraph.

I'm trying to make choices as we still have one school-age kid (and I'm sixty next week ) who would be due to consider tertiary education in four years or so. I have one who has a good MA at Glasgow and an MSc there who is a waiter at the moment for want of anything in his chosen field which is City & Regional Planning in spite of more than usual action north of the border. So I'm doubly apprehensive.

I'm sorry I can't get hold of AA Gill online for this one as it's subscription. He's a harsh reviewer though, when he's in a good frame of mind.
As an aside, the "narcissistic generation" thing is not just my opinion, there is sound, respected research and opinion on this phenomenon - Google or Google Scholar for Jean Twenge (San Diego SU) for more on this, for example
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

As an aside, the "narcissistic generation" thing is not just my opinion, there is sound, respected research and opinion on this phenomenon - Google or Google Scholar for Jean Twenge (San Diego SU) for more on this, for example
Heh! I've been bitching and moaning about the never say work is not satisfactory; praise everything approach for days! I'm glad I can be backed up with solid research.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is very sad....having realised children were sometimes crushed and made to feel worthless in the bad old days (but not always of course, and not by good teachers) we have gone too far in trying to build their self-esteem.

A trend in parenting as well as in education...in the end, kids see through it--if you praise everything they do, even when they themselves know they didn't try very hard, they can't have confidence in your judgement and it doesn't mean anything.

We were so lucky in our public high school in a small town in the USA, it just happened that there were a few crucial and brilliant teachers with high standards teaching the honors classes...

Tina
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:55 pm
Ping-ponger

Heh! I've been bitching and moaning about the never say work is not satisfactory; praise everything approach for days! I'm glad I can be backed up with solid research.

I have actually been asked to change a comment of "unsatisfactory" on a section of an assignment to "not yet satisfactory".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.