Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

High Tide.......How are you finding furniture prices. I am trying to decide whether to ship my furniture or buy when I get home. I am keeping a few things but I am wondering as you are doing some shopping soon would you give us some quotes on prices

Sallysimmons...Thats the rollercoaster your on. Up one day down the next.

Lorac05....I have noticed that a great many people are removing their gardens and putting in concrete or paved area's. This is not good for birds or little animals they like the greenery. I read an article on the subject I wish I could remember where but from what I read I dont think the green folk were happy with it.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Which newspaper would you recommend in the UK?
Any one that Murdoch doesn't now own . I like the Guardian for a more independent outlook.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Lorac05....I have noticed that a great many people are removing their gardens and putting in concrete or paved area's. This is not good for birds or little animals they like the greenery. I read an article on the subject I wish I could remember where but from what I read I dont think the green folk were happy with it.
Not to mention the trees. Ok, I'll mention the trees. After living here, when I go to a large town or city and see tree trunks on boulevards encircled by concrete I could just about cry. The roots get no air. It's a bit like being slowly strangled. That they survive at all is a miracle.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I just feel like I'm wishing my life away and that's not a good thing. Does anyone else feel like that?
Huhhhhhhhhh the Story of my life, and I will never give up.

Like you I'm very patient, we just have to be, I'm sure we arent the only ones, every day, week, month and year goes by and I'm still here, but Im not giving up, while so many Brits take it for granted its all I ever think about, every minute of the day...
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Sally, I know what you mean about wishing your life away. I feel that way too, although as I mentioned in an earlier post, now that I know we are definitely going back to England, even though I don't know when, I am trying to really appreciate the things in Canada that we won't have in England (lots of sunshine, blue skies, space, free parking, roads almost free of traffic, peace and quiet). Somehow this takes my mind off all the negatives.

Hello Somersetgirl

I agree with you, appreciate what you have and where you live now, eventually the move will come.

I reccomend taking plenty of photo's, thats what Im doing, memories are important and photo's do it for me.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bandrui
Any one that Murdoch doesn't now own . I like the Guardian for a more independent outlook.
Agreed on Murdoch and the Guardian too. Have read it online for years.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Which newspaper would you recommend in the UK?
all depends what your slant on life is.

The Guardian is Liberal and is the devil's advocate but has good articles about food and leisure and the arts and travel. Plus the Observer.

The Telegraph has good coverage of business and general news.

The Independent has some good middle-of-the-road columnists.

I go through these plus the NYT every day.

FT has good Saturday articles - food, homes, books, arts.

Evening Standard has good stuff about London - thisislondon.co.uk

The rest of the frees are rubbish. Times is subscription.

There are often excellent articles about the UK and Europe in the NYTimes.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 15th 2011 at 10:44 am.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Um, I was just saying not to worry if you don't like the Lake District - the world is a big enough place for all of us to find our favorite spot. I think the area where you live is fabulous but it's too far away from my family and friends so it's not an option for me.

I read back what I posted and I don't see what I said that offended you but whatever it was, I'm sorry.

I think it's time for a little break from this thread for me
No Sally. I'm not that thick skinned. No offence meant nor taken & I'm sorry if I upset you.

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's twice in two days you've said something perfectly reasonable and apparently ticked someone off (on both cases not the person you were responding to).

You're on a roll!!

Don't take a break from the thread, just take a break from the easily offended.
See my reply.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:48 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I like the Guardian and the Independent. I find the Telegraph too far to the right politically, but I'm a bleeding heart liberal so take that for what it's worth

I think the Guardian has the best website of those 3 - there's always a lot of good stuff on there that doesn't make the paper and I like their live blogs of breaking news. The Independent's website has a good property section with lots of tips and articles, but the homes they show always cost £750K and up which is way out of my pay grade.

cheers that B&B looks very swanky. Less than 6 months to go until I am back in the Lake District! That's what's keeping me going
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

New housing market numbers:

House prices fell by 1.4% during January as the property market continued to come under pressure from Government spending cuts and the mortgage drought. [...]

Howard Archer, chief UK and European economist at IHS Global Insight, said: "The housing market will be pressurised over the coming months by high and likely-to-rise unemployment, negative real income growth, the increasing fiscal squeeze, very low consumer confidence, and ongoing difficulties in getting a mortgage, particularly for first-time buyers.

"We suspect that house prices will fall by around 5% in 2011 and end up losing around 10% from the peak levels seen in the first half of 2010."

Annual house price growth is now negative in seven regions of the UK, with Northern Ireland continuing to see the biggest year-on-year drop of 14.1%, followed by Yorkshire and Humberside at 4.6%, and Scotland and the West Midlands, which both recorded a 3.2% decline.

Growth was strongest in the East and London, with prices 4% and 3.7% higher respectively than they were in January last year.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I like the Guardian and the Independent. I find the Telegraph too far to the right politically, but I'm a bleeding heart liberal so take that for what it's worth

I think the Guardian has the best website of those 3 - there's always a lot of good stuff on there that doesn't make the paper and I like their live blogs of breaking news. The Independent's website has a good property section with lots of tips and articles, but the homes they show always cost £750K and up which is way out of my pay grade.

cheers that B&B looks very swanky. Less than 6 months to go until I am back in the Lake District! That's what's keeping me going
Further to sally's comments,

There is also a good property section in the Guardian, click MONEY, click PROPERTY, which gives tips for buying, for home maintenance and for property legal issues. On Saturdays, there's a LET'S MOVE TO feature which has been in for several years barring a brief gap recently when, I guess, nobody was moving.

Prospective buyers need to be aware of the legal changes which have affected the purchase and ownership of leasehold properties and prospective tenants on the payments of security deposits on lettings. Owners need to be familiar with the issue of property insurance and what is and isn't likely to be covered when it comes to making an actual claim in the UK.

In addition, we need to be familiar with property condition issues such as subsidence, radon and mundic which can be a blight in areas in particular where there are mineral deposits and previous mining activity. These property sections can help with being prepared, on the lookout and legal recourse.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 15th 2011 at 3:18 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

It always amazes me that there are so few B & Bs that are priced under 75 pounds per night. In the Independent 50 best there are only a couple at around 70 pounds.

When we are in the Uk we almost always have to stay at Travelodges and Premier Inns because we can book them when they are on special, usually around this time of the year. B & Bs have gone so pricey. As a result, we are snooping around for places on OwnersDirect.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Sir Harold Nicholson was Vita Sackville-West's husband and Nigel Nicholson was their son. Harold and Nigel were both writers.
Right....and it's Harold Nicolson (this family spells it without an h I believe) who's famous for his fascinating diaries,and Nigel for, among other things, a book about his mother's passion for and elopement with Violet Keppel (I think).

Nigel's sons are writers too, or at least Adam Nicolson is, very well-known for a variety of interesting books, including one he's recently written about Sissinghurst and the gardens and the work he has been doing there.

And I think I read that Adam has a daughter who is also a writer!

Tina
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about writers..someone posted on here about a book their sister or family members wrote. Can you repeat the post? I went and got my library card a few days ago. Do you think it will be in a US libruary?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Right....and it's Harold Nicolson (this family spells it without an h I believe) who's famous for his fascinating diaries,and Nigel for, among other things, a book about his mother's passion for and elopement with Violet Keppel (I think).

Nigel's sons are writers too, or at least Adam Nicolson is, very well-known for a variety of interesting books, including one he's recently written about Sissinghurst and the gardens and the work he has been doing there.

And I think I read that Adam has a daughter who is also a writer!

Tina
Thanks Tina for the corrections and the updates, which I have since researched.

I wasn't aware that life was quite that complicated for "married" couples just after the Armistice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.