Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Finally able to get back to the forum not sure what we are discussing going home or how awful the US is.

Education. When I was a child in the UK I went to a really good schools till I was around 13 then culture shock we moved to an area outside of Chester the worst School you could imagine. Education was the last thing on their minds. I was a middle of the road student at my last school. I came top of the class every year in my new school only because the school was so bad. That can be said no matter where you live. Whether you are in the UK or US.

My children all educated in the US had execellent educations did very well went to University and have great jobs. My oldest Grandson is doing great in School. As for US kids being behind UK kids your again making blanket statements. To me thats insulting. I would never say that about the UK. I dont know what type of schools some of you are talking about in the US but mine all had Reading writing and arithmatic and Geography and History admittedly not UK History but US History. I dont think you will find many children in the UK learning about George Washington or the War of Independence. When they went to University they could choose which subjects to take if they wanted World History they could take it.

States and Local Towns pay for their own Schools our Town takes nearly $18 out of every $23 collected by the town from Tax payers. This year it went up again. Thats $23 out of every $1,000 house value and $18 of that going to education and that was last year.

Roads: our roads are execellent last year President Obama had those signs on all our roads 'Putting Americans Back to Work", hence our great roads. Yes we do have pot holes but given the fact that we have really bad winters its only to be expected. To have all roads with lights would be way too expensive and bad for the environment . The main highways are lit but out in the country the side roads are not. Comparing US roads to UK roads is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I think some of you do need a realiity if you think all is well at home. It might be for pensioners but listen to the hard working middle class in the UK they are not happy they are sick and tired of paying taxes for the lazy and for those entering the country just to get freebies. They see their earnings dwindling while others enjoy handouts. Health Insurance is very expensive.

Perhaps some of you who are new to the forum would like to know what this forum was like when it first started out. We were a group of people wanting information and encouragement on going home and for those who got home letting us know that they were doing OK. Here is the thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629454

You know if you drive through many parts of the US you will find beautiful area's with breathtaking scenery people who love their lives and would not give it up for anything. They are hardworking good people they care about others throughtout the world I know that because I have childen and see life as they see it. Yes there are awful parts to this country but I think any of you who think the UK is beautiful everywhere are in for a reality shock. Try driving though Birmingham parts of Lancashire anywhere that has been hit hard by the recession.

I am eager to go home but I do know that things will be very different for me than when we left. Nothing is the same.
Hi Trotty,
Welcome back.
As you suggested, when I found this website, before I ever posted anything here, I spent 3 days reading all of this thread part l and most of this thread part ll, as well as some of the other threads. Phew! It was a marathon mission.
Issues like this do come up and probably always will. It is after all a forum for British Expats who are going home. Have you seen some of the Aussie threads .?
We speak from our own individual experiences, as you do, rather than make blanket statements. It is great if your experience is different. Please don't take it personally.
You know, our little island here is comprised of about 30% Americans, everything from old Vietnam draft dodgers to newcomers who are less than enthusiastic about the current situation in the US, many of them my friends. There is no issue with the many beautiful places and people in the US. I have many dear friends in Washington state and sit on the organizing committee for the Pacific Women's Circle Association (a US/Canadian organisation that has been together for many years, where we alternate meetings between the US and Canada).
It is rather about government policies, corruption, hidden agendas, extreme nationalism and mass consumerism in support of large corporations, which, let's face it, now run the country(q.v. "The Story of Stuff" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM a fabulous US made video)
, not to mention the fact that the US has been continually at war with some nation or another since Madison declared war on the UK in 1812. (All is forgiven ) The Americans that I know, that I have met, would be the first ones to acknowledge these things. They are indeed indefensible. I really like Obama and think it too bad that he is not free to govern in the way he sees fit. (I always find it interesting to see how every US president has grey hair within the first year of taking office .) I think the reality check is definitely necessary. It is because I am pro the average US citizen, or the average citizen in any country in the world for that matter, that I make these statements.
I also don't see from the posts here (including mine) that anyone is under the misconception that all is well in the UK. Far from it. From the posts that I have read, I think we all recognise that that is something we will have to deal with when we return (or not), but I cannot see it as comparable to the situation in the US.
I, and all others from what I can see, are more than ready to offer warm wishes, hearty congratulations and enthusiasm for our fellow Brits who are making their way home. I love the flight tracker forum. Fatcat65 is more than half way home!
I did think this discussion a little heavy and had made a suggestion that we took it to another thread but not one person took me up on it so I assume all is OK.
All the best,
Linda

Last edited by bandrui; Mar 13th 2011 at 5:55 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
If you sign up for Netflix, it costs $10 a month and you can stream all kinds of movies and TV shows right to your computer. All four seasons of Doc Martin are on there - that's where I watched them. It's well worth it!

Wow. There are 4 seasons? I've only seen 2. Twice mind you.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windsong
That's one show I can't find on the BBC and ITV iplayers
Doc Martin shows on the Public Broadcasting (PBS) stations.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Has anyone heard from Don or Hightide now that they are back in the UK?
Yes. See flight tracker forum. High Tide was really happy that we were keeping an eye on his flight.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aviva
Doc Martin shows on the Public Broadcasting (PBS) stations.
Yes I watch it here on KCTS Seattle and KNOW Vancouver.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Finally able to get back to the forum not sure what we are discussing going home or how awful the US is.

Education. When I was a child in the UK I went to a really good schools till I was around 13 then culture shock we moved to an area outside of Chester the worst School you could imagine. Education was the last thing on their minds. I was a middle of the road student at my last school. I came top of the class every year in my new school only because the school was so bad. That can be said no matter where you live. Whether you are in the UK or US.

My children all educated in the US had execellent educations did very well went to University and have great jobs. My oldest Grandson is doing great in School. As for US kids being behind UK kids your again making blanket statements. To me thats insulting. I would never say that about the UK. I dont know what type of schools some of you are talking about in the US but mine all had Reading writing and arithmatic and Geography and History admittedly not UK History but US History. I dont think you will find many children in the UK learning about George Washington or the War of Independence. When they went to University they could choose which subjects to take if they wanted World History they could take it.

States and Local Towns pay for their own Schools our Town takes nearly $18 out of every $23 collected by the town from Tax payers. This year it went up again. Thats $23 out of every $1,000 house value and $18 of that going to education and that was last year.

Roads: our roads are execellent last year President Obama had those signs on all our roads 'Putting Americans Back to Work", hence our great roads. Yes we do have pot holes but given the fact that we have really bad winters its only to be expected. To have all roads with lights would be way too expensive and bad for the environment . The main highways are lit but out in the country the side roads are not. Comparing US roads to UK roads is like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I think some of you do need a realiity if you think all is well at home. It might be for pensioners but listen to the hard working middle class in the UK they are not happy they are sick and tired of paying taxes for the lazy and for those entering the country just to get freebies. They see their earnings dwindling while others enjoy handouts. Health Insurance is very expensive.

Perhaps some of you who are new to the forum would like to know what this forum was like when it first started out. We were a group of people wanting information and encouragement on going home and for those who got home letting us know that they were doing OK. Here is the thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629454

You know if you drive through many parts of the US you will find beautiful area's with breathtaking scenery people who love their lives and would not give it up for anything. They are hardworking good people they care about others throughtout the world I know that because I have childen and see life as they see it. Yes there are awful parts to this country but I think any of you who think the UK is beautiful everywhere are in for a reality shock. Try driving though Birmingham parts of Lancashire anywhere that has been hit hard by the recession.

I am eager to go home but I do know that things will be very different for me than when we left. Nothing is the same.
Well said, Trotty!

The forum is about expats moving back to UK, especially a little later in life, and members are currently living in many places, not just the US. So if we spend too much talking about why we are unhappy in the US, it shifts the focus a bit too much, and risks alienating not only those who are living elsewhere and can't share the US concerns, but also people like Denise/DDL who is herself American.

Her posts about her and Tony's new life in England are so interesting and helpful as they show what it's really like to make this big move--the rough and the smooth! She also reminds us--with cream teas, flowers, National Trust Houses--of all the things that are unique to and special about Britain, reasons why we love it.

As one who lived for about 27 years in the US, I understand the frustrations of so many--and also the love so many have for the States, especially if we have spouses and children there.

I loved Sally's analogy of the two husbands, and the way husband #2 (in her case the USA), once so alluring, drives you nuts as soon as you've definitively decided to leave! The whole analogy was so well put.

On the other hand, others have said that having made the decision is helping them relax and enjoy the US (or wherever) as long as they are there.

I don't think it's helpful to spend too much time here complaining about the US, and feel it's not in the spirit of the forum trotty started...

In the end, our desire to go back to Britain is surely, in most cases, an emotional one. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's the age-old desire for "home." One of the most primal, surely.

Over the years when my DH have discussed going back, he has made US/UK comparisons--this, that, and the other thing is worse in the UK--and in the end I said, look: none of those arguments hold any water with me. It's not a question of making a pros and cons list. I simply want to go home and feel at home! Back to my roots. I don't really care about the problems there might be in the UK! Every country has its problems.

The desire is not about logic or weighing this and that--it's just about wanting to go home, which I was dreaming of for years, and how to make this dream come true before I am too old!

Isn't that what this forum is about?

That said, for those who have been away a long time, many things will seem different, and that's why the bulletins from Peigi/ED. Denise/DDL, Jasper/Rodney and other returners are so helpful on a practical level.

Tina

Last edited by between two worlds; Mar 13th 2011 at 7:44 am. Reason: apostrophe error!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Cool.. But a straight shot to Manchester UK would be great.
Vegas to Manchester is a Non stop flight, My in laws already have tickets to fly out to Vegas in May.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'd love Virgin to fly from NY to Manchester. At the moment if I want to fly Virgin I have to go to London and then travel north by train, and that just wastes a day of my holiday. But I hate the airlines that fly to Manchester and would choose Virgin in a heartbeat if I could.
I wish Virgin flew to Oregon Id love to support Branson.
We are very limited to carriers and have long lay overs especially in winter, a 6 hour lay over in Chicago can become 8 hours or more with bad weather.

We used to go AA from PDX to Chicago then on to Birmingham or Manchester, that was before the financial crunch of 09, the last time I looked AA's flight to Chicago went via Texas hahahaaa... no way...
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
My life has gone to pot since I found this forum. I was up until 4am last night looking at rightmove.co.uk and this forum. It's got to stop .!
Isnt that the truth, I used to have a life before finding and posting on ex-pats, I still read all posts but Ive tried to limit my input over the last few months.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Defence is any country is big business. It's called capitalism and it's alive and well and there's nothing wrong with it unless improprieties occur. And improprieties are not exclusive to the United States of America, Windsong.

I've never seen such a group of people with such an ax to grind!!!!!!!!!!! You must all be so miserable!!!!!!!! I feel sorry for you to have to wake up every morning in a country that you hate so much.

As much as I love my home country, I love the U.K. too and despite the things I don't like here, I'm sure glad I don't have such animosity about my adopted country!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take every opportunity I can over here to tell people how much I love it. I don't dwell on the negatives (and there are plenty of them) - I dwell on the positives.

It's enlightening to, despite the differences, embrace the best of both countries, to appreciate the quirky differences, to acknowledge the common bonds, to edify both cultures. Not to continually tear one down.
I have to agree with you, before I moved back home I used to blame everything on Canada but now that I am back in UK I realize that Canada is as much a home for my family as the UK. The big difference for me was and is that I feel more of a sense of belonging here than I did in Canada. There is positives and negatives in both countries, I have Canadian children and grandchildren, Canada is their homeland, how sad would I be to slag off their country of birth.
Would my life have been different if my parents had not taken me to Canada, I really don't know, I don't think anyone can ever know, hindsight is a wonderful thing but it does not help anyone. You have to live in the present, enjoy what you have, and let the past be that, the past. The bitterness can become like a cancer if given the chance, spoiling the rest of your life.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about roads, I looked at the condition of the roads in my town the other day. Dreadful! I know they are always worse after winter but, they fix them, and give it a few months and even more potholes.

The roads in Britain are much smoother, cleaner and much better lit.
Sorry, but since comming back here I am totally disgusted with the amount of garbage that is in the streets and along the sides of the road ways. As for the state of the roads, well I think the problem is that the UK has not had to deall with the huge fluctuations in weather conditions and temperatures in the winter months so the roads are showing these changes, as for being better conditions than where I lived before, I really and honestly don't think so.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
We spent a few hours walking through the gardens at Hampton Court this afternoon. The daffs, crocus, hyacinths and even a few straggly snowdrops were in full bloom. It was overcast, but mild, temps in low 50s.

Here are my pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=10096f883d

Tomorrow afternoon we'll be going to hear the London Mozart Players in concert at the college. A Cream Tea will be served at intermission. Looking forward to both!

These are the types of things we came back to the UK for.....
Beautiful pictures Denise, you are doing so many of the types of things that I love to do but unfortunately don't have the time, or resources to do so.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Sorry, but since comming back here I am totally disgusted with the amount of garbage that is in the streets and along the sides of the road ways. As for the state of the roads, well I think the problem is that the UK has not had to deall with the huge fluctuations in weather conditions and temperatures in the winter months so the roads are showing these changes, as for being better conditions than where I lived before, I really and honestly don't think so.
Hello Ed

To be honest the lack of litter in the streets was one of the first things I noticed when I arrived in America, Britian had a "Keep Britian Tidy" campign in the 60s but it made little difference, its one area where the UK could improve, maybe some of the unemployed could be made to keep the villages and cities clean, Im talking about the people who never seem to work.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone on this forum has friends or family in Japan, I hope you have heard from them and all are safe....

Tina
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Ed

To be honest the lack of litter in the streets was one of the first things I noticed when I arrived in America, Britian had a "Keep Britian Tidy" campign in the 60s but it made little difference, its one area where the UK could improve, maybe some of the unemployed could be made to keep the villages and cities clean, Im talking about the people who never seem to work.
I have wondered why they cannot put all theses people who have been on benefits all of their lives and really don't want to work cleaning the streets for their money. No work, no money. I notice the garbage especially when on the train going into Glasgow Central, it boggles the mind. Especially the houses that back onto the train lines, they just seem to throw all their not needed items down the bank, sickening, makes me very ashamed of being British, never thought I would say that.

But I think, what must tourists coming from overseas think when they get. here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.