Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I truly admire everyone who loves their pet enough to find them a good home before leaving. There are plenty of cruel and heartless people who just dump unwanted pets when they become an inconvenience. Each person here has handled this issue with compassion and done the best they can for their pets. As an animal lover, I salute you all!

In other news, I was so excited just now to open Lakelandcam's website and see photos of my beloved Kendal!! Here's the link, but the pictures change each day so it will only be showing Kendal today

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/
True BUT when we have pets we take on a firm responsibility as we do with children. Moving to the UK, as much as we want it, is a choice, not a necessity, however you choose to see it. I would not consider giving up my pets for a choice. That is not to say others wouldn't.

Last edited by windsong; Feb 2nd 2011 at 5:33 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I truly admire everyone who loves their pet enough to find them a good home before leaving. There are plenty of cruel and heartless people who just dump unwanted pets when they become an inconvenience. Each person here has handled this issue with compassion and done the best they can for their pets. As an animal lover, I salute you all!

In other news, I was so excited just now to open Lakelandcam's website and see photos of my beloved Kendal!! Here's the link, but the pictures change each day so it will only be showing Kendal today

I already had that bookmarked but today was very good so thank you.
Incidently I asked you something the other day, privately, and you never answered. You don't like me?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I hope England isn't a horrible shock for you after all this time. I think most people who work there also dream of escaping the rat race.

I have to admit I'm uncomfortable when we start idealizing the UK too much. I am trying very hard to prepare myself for the bad as well as the good because life is never all one or the other, no matter what a romantic poet might once have written.
I think that is very wise advice, I came here with that type of romantic attitude and for the first few months I was very disalusioned about Scotland and the UK in general. When I finally reconcilled what I was experiencing with what I thought it would or should be like I became more settled and able to move forward. I had done a lot of reading researching so thought I was well prepared but I was not. It is my homeland warts and all but I have had to admit that I am more Canadian than I thought and that there is good and bad in both countries.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Feb 2nd 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I think that is very wise advice, I came here with that type of romantic attitude and for the first few months I was very disalusioned about Scotland and the UK in general. When I finally reconcilled what I was experiencing with what I thought it would or should be like I became more settled and able to move forward. I had done a lot of reading researching so thought I was well prepared but I was not. It is my homeland warts and all but I have had to admit that I am more Canadian than I thought and that there is good and bad in bith countries.
It is indeed wise to keep in mind how much we have changed since we left the UK and how much our present country of residence has influenced us. It's probably something we really won't know until - and if - we arrive on UK soil.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
True BUT when we have pets we take on a firm responsibility as we do with children. Moving to the UK, as much as we want it, is a choice, not a necessity, however you choose to see it. I would not consider giving up my pets for a choice. That is not to say others wouldn't.
I am sorry Windsong, yes I love my pets with all my heart and it tears my heart everyday when I look at the pictures of my two girls left back in Canada with my husband but, and there is a but, If I had to make the decision of wither it was to be my husband or my girls, sorry it would have to be my husband. Of course I would find a wonderful home for them and I would miss feel terrible making that decision.

I have had to find homes for my two cats, a 2 year old female Tiger Siamese and a 10 year old Prussian Blue who I saved from a dumpster, they are both together and spoiled and loved very much. I know in my heart that I gave them both a loving home while with me and I also know that I found the best home I could for them.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

And you are assuming that is what is best for them. You are assuming that they won't mind being moved. Assuming that they want to be with you as much as you want to be with them. But those are all assumptions.

I have decided not to upset my cats by moving them but I'm not judging you for making a different decision. I don't think it's fair of you to judge others for their decision.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, you have family to move in with when you arrive, don't you?
Yes Windsong I do, I am very lucky in that regard. I have 2 sisters, a brother and my mother, with assorted spouses, kids and grand-kids. About 20 family over there, plus cousins.

My sisters are very happy I am coming home.

Don't know about my mother as she is on her usual 6 week holiday in Spain to avoid the winter. She says it is cheaper for her to go there than to stay at home and pay the heating bills!!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Did you mean Islandwoman?
Yes I did, I went back and corrected
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Just beautiful, Sallysimmons. No wonder you are smitten!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
just a quick check in from me.......snowed in in NH!!!!!!! cant take anymore.......we will have about another 2 foot after this one moves out late tomorrow.

heard from DDL today she got a job! and is very happy. Rodney so happy to read your posts, thanks for the excess baggage prices, I was thinking was it all suitcases or were any boxes.
How are you feet, sorry did I miss a reply.
Barb 24 sleeps OMG!!!!!!!
Rosie I hope your brother is okay...( in aus n ear cyclone)
Hi charleygirl,
Well all I had was 4 large suitcases all within the weight allowed, I think it was 23 kilos/50lbs ----- so besides the $272 I paid for excess weight, the suitcases cost me $50 each to buy, so thats another $200 and of course I dont need the cases any more so there stuck up in the attic now, oh just had a thought Anybody out there that wants to buy 4 nice brand new large quality suitcases they can have them for half price $25 or say £15 each,
Feet getting better, but it will take time, but Im getting rreallygood care with no waiting at all at the NHS,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

And you are assuming that is what is best for them. You are assuming that they won't mind being moved. Assuming that they want to be with you as much as you want to be with them. But those are all assumptions.

I have decided not to upset my cats by moving them but I'm not judging you for making a different decision. I don't think it's fair of you to judge others for their decision.
I agree Sallysimmons. Just because Windsong and I have decided to bring our animals with us does NOT make us superior to those list members who diligently place their animals with great owners. We may all be crazy animal lovers, however much as we love them and they give us so much in return, THEY ARE NOT HUMAN CHILDREN. Those of you who are not taking animals "home" please believe me I would never judge your decisions. It seems to me that there many animal lovers on this list and we all want the very best for them.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes Windsong I do, I am very lucky in that regard. I have 2 sisters, a brother and my mother, with assorted spouses, kids and grand-kids. About 20 family over there, plus cousins.

My sisters are very happy I am coming home.

Don't know about my mother as she is on her usual 6 week holiday in Spain to avoid the winter. She says it is cheaper for her to go there than to stay at home and pay the heating bills!!
Wonderful!!! How nice to be going home to so much family. I think you will love it.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

As I have said many times, we all have our own opinions and preferences.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong some people do not have a choice in the return to the U.K. And I for one am not giving up my pets for a choice. When I lived in England I was a member of the cat's protection league and I used to foster cat's untill we could find them a good home at the time I had 6 cats of my own, when I lived in Singapore local people brought unwanted cat's and kittens to me, I cannot count the sleepless nights I had feeding day old kittens with a fountain pen tube and at the time having a 3month old baby to feed ( fed the kittens watered down baby formula and I had everyone of them survive).
I probabley know more about caring for cat's and their welfare than you have had hot dinners.
I do hope that you have made arrangements for your cats in the event something should happen to you , nobody thinks of that untill it too late.

I feel so strongly about animal welfare too, so I do something about it and not just for my pets but for as many unfortunate animals I can,I did it in England I did it in Singapore I do it here in the states and I will continue to do it when I return to England.I am almost 65 and I'll do it untill I breath my last breath, because I care .
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I am sorry Windsong, yes I love my pets with all my heart and it tears my heart everyday when I look at the pictures of my two girls left back in Canada with my husband but, and there is a but, If I had to make the decision of wither it was to be my husband or my girls, sorry it would have to be my husband. Of course I would find a wonderful home for them and I would miss feel terrible making that decision.

I have had to find homes for my two cats, a 2 year old female Tiger Siamese and a 10 year old Prussian Blue who I saved from a dumpster, they are both together and spoiled and loved very much. I know in my heart that I gave them both a loving home while with me and I also know that I found the best home I could for them.
Believe me, I do not expect most to agree with me so it is no surprise. For myself, I take on responsibilities with pets very, very seriously. To me they are as important as children. For myself, taking on a pet is taking on a lifelong responsibility. It is not just for a year or two or until it suits me to give them up for whatever reason. I fully realize I am an exception to the general rule in this regard. Sorry if you see it as a judgment but this is how I live my own life and I will never change it.

I have been a lifelong devotee of all animals, pets and wildlife and have worked nationwide for the protection of them.

There is nothing that will change my standpoint about this, just as I fully realize there is nothing that can change yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.