British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

jasper123 Jan 25th 2011 2:37 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

[QUOTE=DDL;9125798]We only have 3 bins here:
  • Rubbish: household trash, food waste, etc.
  • Recycling: plastic (like empty milk cartons); cardboard; shredded paper; soda cans; newspapers; etc.
  • Garden Waste
Rubbish is collected one week, recylcing the next, and then the cycle begins again. (I can't recall off-hand how often the garden waste is collected.)

We tend to go through loads of batteries in our household: cameras, computer mouses, etc. Tesco has a battery recylcing bin right inside their front doors. I like that.
.We only have one bin for recycling, like plastic, carboard, newspaper tin foil etc
and they give us big black bags to put the rest of the gabage in that dont get recycled,
And yes the same here, one week they pick up the garbage bags and the next week they dump your green wheelie bins,
and as I said we have to take our own bottles down to the glass only recycling bin, I dont know what people do without a car maybe take the bus?
Denise you dont mention anything about the glass bottles, what do you do with them

jasper123 Jan 25th 2011 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9125862)
Today was rough, said bye to my daughter, and a few friends..did it all in one day, seemed like it would be easier..it wasnt. Its done though and I am ready to go..:)

All goodbyes are done, and your ready to go :D thats what I like to hear,
Jackie to my estimate you have about 12 more hours to go before your flight, cause now my clock says almost 4pm 25th, so your 8 hours behind in Vegas so it must be around 8am 25th now, and you will be arriving London on the 26th, ---- take good care, have a safe flight, I can just imagine the look on your Mum & Dads face when they see you :)
Rodney.

jasper123 Jan 25th 2011 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boodles (Post 9125946)
Yes Rodney, you are absolutely right.. Where there is a will, there is a way... As I said in my previous posts from some months ago, we have been getting rid of stuff for a couple of years or so, even when we could not see our way clear... just knowing it was what we needed to do. And I am probably one of the most organised people on earth, cannot abide leaving everything untill the last minute. Have you seen any improvement in your feet yet?
Elizabeth

well Im probably one of the most disorganized people on earth,
I had my first Light treatment today at the hospital, --- ordered by my dermatologist, it went well, they have scheduled me for 30 treatments, two times a week, so 15 weeks and we will see? I feel good that for the first time in 40 years I am finally getting UVA light treatment for my feet,
Take care,
Rodney.

Sentosa Jan 25th 2011 3:05 pm

Here is a link to wheelie bin covers there are a few places on the internet where you can buy them.
http://www.wheelie-bin-covers.co.uk/

jasper123 Jan 25th 2011 3:09 pm

;)

Originally Posted by HighTide (Post 9126027)
We will have to get busy with those renovations:)

Good luck mate,;)

jasper123 Jan 25th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9126189)
That recycle list looks too much like USSR era.
I think I would be inclined to join other Brits and just throw my trash into the street.

What a joke !!!! they would clap you in Irons and send you to the Tower of London,

SomersetGirl Jan 25th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9127669)
well Im probably one of the most disorganized people on earth,
I had my first Light treatment today at the hospital, --- ordered by my dermatologist, it went well, they have scheduled me for 30 treatments, two times a week, so 15 weeks and we will see? I feel good that for the first time in 40 years I am finally getting UVA light treatment for my feet,
Take care,
Rodney.

So glad to hear you're feeling good....itching is just awful and what a relief it will be when its gone:D

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck (Post 9127255)
Thanks Rodney for your concern...everything is on track, house goes up for sale end of April, :fingerscrossed:looking at the end of summer for the move back to Wales...I was wondering in Trotty's list if " Old Duck " meant me!!!!

cheers............Taffy

Woohoo Taffy!! Here's to a quick sale at a good price. :thumbsup:

cheers Jan 25th 2011 4:52 pm

Hey Rod, You can bring up the LV Review Journal on line if you feel inclined?

For others. LV use to do 'rubbish' pickups twice a week and this was probably because of the extreme heat during the summer. Now they are doing it once a week but with two pickups on the same day. One for 'rubbish' and the other for recycle. This is a vast improvement because before you had to do the British thing but sort into 3 different plastic hampers and they were picked up once every three weeks I think. Now you have two big wheelies.

Were I am, now if you are inclined, you take your recycles to various places close by and there are 5 big dumpsters for paper, plastic, tin, glass and ???. Rubbish is picked up once a week at your home and costs $7 per month.

I think 95% of my rubbish could be recycled. Again, recycling is optional here.

Rod I'm glad you have finally got the right treatment and I hope you are brand new at the end of it.

I agree that those wheelies seem to be all over the place when I look at photographs of England. On the subject of using camouflage, I totally agree.

In the US they camouflaged the cell phone towers and did a real good job by making them look like palm trees so why not bins?

Cheers

dunroving Jan 25th 2011 5:41 pm

We have alternate collections (rubbish one week, garden waste/cardboard the next), with a recycle box (plastic, paper, tins, etc.) collected every week and also a little kitchen food waste bin.

People complain about their rubbish bin only being collected every 2 weeks, but I only need to put mine out every 4-8 weeks. I don't buy produce that comes in polystyrene containers (plastic bags only, recycled), recycle everything possible, don't leave food waste or overbuy perishables, and compost everything from tea bags to eggshells to vegetable peel.

It's possible to cut right down on household waste with a little planning. My neighbours, on the other hand, have black bin bags spewing out of their rubbish bins, piled on top and to the side on the pavement. I don't know how they generate so much rubbish!

cheers Jan 25th 2011 8:44 pm

Jackie's flight is coming in to pick her up and its arriving early. So there!:D

Her flight number is 274 LAS-LHR

6 and a half hours and she up, up and away...............

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9128512)
Jackie's flight is coming in to pick her up and its arriving early. So there!:D

English Mum has started up a whole new thread in The Rover's return, it's called "The Bon Voyage" thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702280

First off is Jackie with details of her flight and how to track. Cheers I know you like your webcams, somebody has put a link to the webcam on the Queen Mary, I have been trying to find webcams to Las Vegas airport but can't find one. :(

cheers Jan 25th 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128536)
English Mum has started up a whole new thread in The Rover's return, it's called "The Bon Voyage" thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702280

First off is Jackie with details of her flight and how to track. Cheers I know you like your webcams, somebody has put a link to the webcam on the Queen Mary, I have been trying to find webcams to Las Vegas airport but can't find one. :(

Thanks for that. Now who is next?

Beedubya Jan 25th 2011 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9128587)
Thanks for that. Now who is next?

Jackie's not even got on the blimmin' plane yet LOL!! :lol:

Next is Don and Tim from Thailand.

Then it's me from Oz, only 30 sleeps!! :eek:

dontheturner Jan 26th 2011 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Sentosa (Post 9127674)
Here is a link to wheelie bin covers there are a few places on the internet where you can buy them.
http://www.wheelie-bin-covers.co.uk/

Hi Sentosa, Those are the ones, I have seen in our area. They look good, but are expensive? Think! dontheturner