British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

sallysimmons Feb 9th 2011 3:33 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9164322)
my point is where exactly do you see any growth in the United States lately?

The US GDP is growing now and unemployment is coming down (although much too slowly) while the UK economy shrunk .5% last quarter.

It's very precarious though. If the country heads in the 'austerity' direction as some are suggesting, all bets are off because government spending is the only thing that has kept the US economy afloat.

jasper123 Feb 9th 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Everyone and in particular Barb in Sydney, ---- Barb remember a few weeks ago you told me about the quit smoking Drug (CHAMPIX) that I have been taking and you said you were taking it too and it made you very depressed after a month on the 3 month course,
Well I have been taking them for almost 2 months now and for the past 2 weeks I have been so depressed for absolutely no reason at all, in addition to this three weeks ago I developed a rash everywhere, the Doctor thinks its an allergic reaction to Champix, so I have been taken off them for good, I have not smoked since January 1st and I really feel good about that, they say that it takes about a week for the champix build up in your body to go completely, I asked if I could be now put on nicotine patches instead, and I was told by my councilor no cause my body has not had any nicotine for almost 2 months and it would be senseless to now put nicotine (back n my body again)
So thats it folks I guess Im on my own now, from now on im going to have to wing it!!!! Oh boy pure will power Huh :unsure: anyway I stopped the Champix yesterday morning, and its night time now the next day and still no desire to smoke :thumbsup: wish me luck everyone please --- and send some good vibes my way if you can, ----- I do not want to go back to smoking again, I was smoking for over 45 years, ---- Barb when you chucked yur Champix in the bin a few weeks ago have you started smoking again? if not how do you feel?
Rodney, take care,

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 9th 2011 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 9164000)
Jackie, have you visited Newark yet? I think it is about 20miles from Grantham where you are. My parents retired there many years ago so when we returned to the UK from Adelaide, Australia we went & lived there.

I loved the small historic market town of Newark on Trent. The castle where King John died centuries ago. The church spire where one can still see where a canon ball went through it during the civil war. I read that Oliver Cromwell kept his horses in the church, although at the start it was very much a Royalist town.

Try & visit on a market day. Used to be Wednesday & Saturday but probably more frequent now. In Spring they may have trips up the River Trent in one of the barges.

I regret that we returned to Oz (Perth now) & often get homesick for Newark even though I am from South London.
I read the Advertiser on line & it said the market had to close early due to the strong winds.
Paula

Wow I love Newark, a cute town, Its not far from where I was born.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 9th 2011 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9164480)
Hi Everyone and in particular Barb in Sydney, ---- Barb remember a few weeks ago you told me about the quit smoking Drug (CHAMPIX) that I have been taking and you said you were taking it too and it made you very depressed after a month on the 3 month course,
Well I have been taking them for almost 2 months now and for the past 2 weeks I have been so depressed for absolutely no reason at all, in addition to this three weeks ago I developed a rash everywhere, the Doctor thinks its an allergic reaction to Champix, so I have been taken off them for good, I have not smoked since January 1st and I really feel good about that, they say that it takes about a week for the champix build up in your body to go completely, I asked if I could be now put on nicotine patches instead, and I was told by my councilor no cause my body has not had any nicotine for almost 2 months and it would be senseless to now put nicotine (back n my body again)
So thats it folks I guess Im on my own now, from now on im going to have to wing it!!!! Oh boy pure will power Huh :unsure: anyway I stopped the Champix yesterday morning, and its night time now the next day and still no desire to smoke :thumbsup: wish me luck everyone please --- and send some good vibes my way if you can, ----- I do not want to go back to smoking again, I was smoking for over 45 years, ---- Barb when you chucked yur Champix in the bin a few weeks ago have you started smoking again? if not how do you feel?
Rodney, take care,

All the best to you Rodney, My Dad smoked a lot and kicked them with two visits to a hypnotist, it worked, so give that a thought too, My Dad wanted to quit as do you, he said that helped too...

cheers Feb 9th 2011 4:17 pm

Todays Daily Telegraph features a lot about Obama quiting smoking.

cheers Feb 9th 2011 4:30 pm

How about these nice digs for £310,000. It is for sale by a friend of mine.

http://www.trulia.com/property/map/1...nolia-TX-77354

dunroving Feb 9th 2011 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9164369)

Don't know about anyone else, but I got an attempted download when I opened this Web page, if anyone else gets the same, do not click on any of the buttons, either click on the "x" (top R corner) to close the dialog box, or close using Task Manager.

Too many blinking Web pages these days trying to put stuff on your computer! :thumbdown:

Celticspirit Feb 9th 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9164275)
Hi everyone,
Well I thought I would tell you about what I found out yesterday, I phoned the UK ----- D.V.L.A main drivers licence replacement number, and I said I passed my driving test in London in 1963, but I have lived in America for the past 36 years, but now I have just recently returned to UK to retire and now live permanently, in all that time being away I have lost my old paper licence so how can I get a replacement?
So he just took my name and date of birth and got my info up on line within seconds, he asked me what address did you live in when you held a British licence? I told him the same as where Im living now --- my Mums house and I gave him the address, and he said yes thats the address on my screen, and he said last question what year did you start living in U.S. ---- I told him 1977, he said yes thats the year it shows that you turned in your British licence for an American one, the authorities always inform us from other countries when a U.K. licence is turned in for one of theres,
So he said all you have to do is pick up a D.I. form from the post office and fill it in sign it and enclose a passport size photo, also theres a place on form to write your (Passport number only) photo does not have to be countersigned by anyone, and you (MUST) enclose your U.S. licence and send in the official DVLA envelope and within 3 weeks I will receive my new UK photo driving licence, there will be no charge cause you are over 60 and the licence will be valid until my 70th birthday at which point I will have to re-new my D.L. and every 3 years after that I just need to renew licence and when picture expires you need to update picture too, ---- ( so they have a separate expiry date for the picture on the D.L.) pretty cool Huh
And he said that as I originally passed my test on a manual transmission in UK then I will be permitted to drive either an Automatic OR a manual transmission,
Well thats for anyone who is interested, So basically its no different whether you are a Canadian or U.S. driver licence holder you can just swap your licence for a U.K. one,
Take care,
I had a nice dinner last night, Faggots mash & peas Emmmmm really tasty,
Rodney.

That is really good news Rodney. I have also lost my license but did the test in 1962.
If I surrender my US license, will I be able to drive when I come back to visit?

cheers Feb 9th 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9164714)
Don't know about anyone else, but I got an attempted download when I opened this Web page, if anyone else gets the same, do not click on any of the buttons, either click on the "x" (top R corner) to close the dialog box, or close using Task Manager.

Too many blinking Web pages these days trying to put stuff on your computer! :thumbdown:

I got it first time, if that helps

Mallory Feb 9th 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9164727)
That is really good news Rodney. I have also lost my license but did the test in 1962.
If I surrender my US license, will I be able to drive when I come back to visit?

Just say you lost your US license. There's no way I would turn it in.

cheers Feb 9th 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9164727)

If it was me... I would just tell them you mislaid your license and need a replacement. Don't mention you have been overseas.

If you did give up your US license and then return to the US for a visit you can use your UK license.

trottytrue Feb 9th 2011 5:49 pm

Easterndawn......I am so sorry to hear about your husband being laid off. It must be so frustrating for you, no sooner do you get one thing sorted than another problem rears its head. Do you think he can get enough unemployement to keep him going till he is suppose to join you in August. I was looking on the internet for ideas as to how we on here could somehow sell our homes is this awful market. I did find this interesting idea. I have given you the website for your area but its worth others thinking about it. I am going to ask my estate agent about it. Perhaps yours has already thought of it. Putting it on You Tube. This is the link for you. Are you anywhere near the area of 'Anne of Green Gables.' I will be sending all my thoughts and prayers to your and your husband that hopefully you will soon find a solution to all your problems.

http://michaelshomeshd.com/

islandwoman120 Feb 9th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9164714)

It is from an Australian site that I have linked to for many years - Care2. I will do a cut and paste of the article later tonight, so you don't get your email address peeked at - it is about a stupid woman putting a live puppy into a box and trying to send it to her son in Atlanta via USPS. And then trying to get her postage money back...

islandwoman120 Feb 9th 2011 5:57 pm

A Minneapolis court administrator called Stacey Champion’s attempt to ship a puppy through the U.S. Mail, “disgraceful” and denied her custody of the dog in a hearing on Monday.

Ms. Champion got a lot of attention last week after she stuffed a 4-month-old puppy inside a box, taped it shut and tried to mail the animal from Minneapolis to Georgia, via USPS.

The puppy named Guess was rescued by post office employees and has been under the care of Minneapolis Animal Care and Control.

Champion had 10 days to regain custody of Guess and her appeal was heard by an administrative officer this morning.

The Uptake streamed the 15 minute appeal at City Hall, where Ms. Champion defended her action of trying to send Guess through USPS priority mail to her son in Atlanta. She wanted the young dog returned to her and asked for a refund of the $22 priority mail fee she paid.

She told Administrative Hearing Officer Fabian Hoffner that she didn’t think she had done anything wrong because there were no signs in the Post Office stating that a live animal couldn’t be mailed.

Champion also stated that she had punched air holes in the box and left a water bottle for the puppy.

A spokesperson from the Post Office told Hoffner that tape around the box covered the air holes and the puppy would have died if he hadn’t been discovered by the clerk behind the shipping counter.

He also said Champion told the clerk, three or four times that the box contained a toy robot.

Ultimately Hoffner denied Champion’s appeal to regain custody of Guess. He said, “You cannot tell me you thought you were doing the right thing.”

Ms. Champion said she was human and that everybody makes mistakes.

Champion still faces two counts of animal cruelty charges. Guess will now be eligible for adoption.

cheers Feb 9th 2011 6:09 pm

gabgoeshome indiana 39 2011/12
sallysimons ny 47
ldyinlv jackie lincolnshire 53 January 2011
btw tina france 54
wawa vivian toronto 55 unknown
DDL denise London 56 2010
Beedubya bee sidney 57 February 2011
Windsong sally US 58 2015
Charleygirl usa 59
Easterndawn scotland 59