Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes....Shen iwas called they already had all the jurers they needed........happy day!!
Sorry guys I am not as illiterate as my spelling sometimes appears.......I still haven't got used to the iPad one finger thingy and my brain moves faster than my fingers.......or something ;o)
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:45 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove around Addlestone today (where Tony works), riding through business parks and up and down the streets so I could write down the names of businesses where I might apply for work. Was surprised to discover that Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines has a huge call centre there. On a cold, grey day like today, dreams of an RCL cruise was (were?) just the distraction one needed!

Also saw the most gorgeous Victorian mill that has been converted into flats. It sits right on the canal, is probably much too expensive for us, but wow, talk about a character property!

Then we went over to Woking and did our weekly shop at Morrison's for a change of pace. It's too far away for us to go there regularly, but we love their pizzas, and that's what we had for supper tonight.

After we came home and put away the groceries, we went to Richmond Park. Today is the 3rd anniversary of the death of Tony's dad, whose ashes are spread around a tree there. We laid yellow roses. It's a beautiful spot. His Dad grew up in Richmond and as a young boy spent happy days roaming through Richmond Park...

But before any of this happened, we had breakfast at our favourite tearoom at Runnymede (Magna Carta Tearoom). Just thought I'd share a piccie of what we had. And Cheers, because I know you're going to ask , it was £5.65 (each).

Last edited by DDL; Jan 22nd 2011 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We drove around Addlestone today (where Tony works), riding through business parks and up and down the streets so I could write down the names of businesses where I might apply for work. Was surprised to discover that Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines has a huge call centre there. On a cold, grey day like today, dreams of an RCL cruise was just the distraction one needed!

Also saw the most gorgeous Victorian mill that has been converted into flats. It sits right on the canal, is probably much too expensive for us, but wow, talk about a character property!

Then we went over to Woking and did our weekly shop at Morrison's for a change of pace. It's too far away for us to go there regularly, but we love their pizzas, and that's what we had for supper tonight.

After we came home and put away the groceries, we went to Richmond Park. Today is the 3rd anniversary of the death of Tony's dad, whose ashes are spread around a tree there. We laid yellow roses. It's a beautiful spot. His Dad grew up in Richmond and as a young boy spent happy days roaming through Richmond Park...

But before any of this happened, we had breakfast at our favourite tearoom at Runnymede (Magna Carta Tearoom). Just thought I'd share a piccie of what we had:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6752480_n.jpg
shame on you posting that picture I'm so hungry and that looks delicious
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:56 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
shame on you posting that picture I'm so hungry and that looks delicious
....send it back! They forgot the mushrooms.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Cheers, because I know you're going to ask , it was £5.65 (each).
That reminds me of the not too complimentary statement "he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Something to think about.

Why back home in the states we could get that twice as big at half the price! lol

Last edited by cheers; Jan 22nd 2011 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving
On the subject of US vs. UK products available in the shops, has anyone found (in the UK) the kinds of Zip-lock bags you can get in the US, with a real "zipper" on it (rather than a simple groove that you run your fingers along)?

I brought back about 6 boxes of the things and used them for all sorts (not for keeping food in, but when travelling for keeping stuff secure, etc.). They are much better because they don't pop open after they have been zipped shut. But now I've run out of the smaller size.

I may get some in Sam's Club next time I'm in the States (June) but would rather buy them here if possible (I already have a long shopping list for Sam's Club and I think my bags will be pretty packed full!)

Anyone in the UK know where you can get these?
Did you know that there is a Costco in Glasgow (and many other cities in the UK)?. Perhaps they have them. I believe that you can get a day-pass from Customer Services to look around the warehouse to see if you would want to join.

If you have a US-issued Costco card you can also use it in the UK and other Costco's worldwide (and vice-versa). I think it may even be cheaper to join in the US - the card is issued on the spot - and then use it for the next year in the UK.

http://www.costco.co.uk/Locations_ho...asgow_x_O.html

http://www.costco.co.uk (for all other locations)
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned that invitation for Americans in the UK to see the Kings Speech, well here is the finished production.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ca/9368666.stm
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Miracle whip is like a fake Mayonaise in a jar isn't it? I just get real mayo. Cool whip is the cream stuff in a tub.
Opps - yes you're right - and I prefer Real mayo as well!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
That reminds me of the not too complimentary statement "he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Something to think about.

Why back home in the states we could get that twice as big at half the price! lol
Yeah,right...
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:44 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
....send it back! They forgot the mushrooms.

I told them to hold the mushrooms; I don't like them.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL...That looks so good I was drooling over it, grilled mushrooms would have been nice. But would take it just as it was.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

If I won the lottery I have decided I want a place by the sea with not a lot of tourists and were its quite warm. Any ideas.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
If I won the lottery I have decided I want a place by the sea with not a lot of tourists and were its quite warm. Any ideas.
Somewhere in Portugal, theres lots of un disturbed parts on the coast
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Jackie,
Well yeah a nice liquid lunch with your friends ---- just the ticket !!! now dont be getting nervous just cause you only have 3 days to go, dont get yourself all in a Tizzy as my dear old Mum would say
Just thought I would mention ---- about banks, if you intend like I did in keeping a US bank account open this is what you must do before you leave, you must go into the bank and tell them you are going to be living in England, I just told my bank that I will be there for 2 years just in case they had any questions, --- it is very important Jackie to do this cause if you dont as soon as you start using your debit card in UK your bank will block it Automatically, and it will take some time and hastle that you dont need to get it sorted out,
Another thing is dont forget to call your utility companies now and give them the date that you need your service cut off --- stopped, dont leave till the day you leave, that way you wont forget to call one and your head will be clear to just concentrate on your flight, have you packed yet? if not if I were you I would do it right now, dont leave it till the last minute, --- I had my 4 large suitcases packed one month before my flight which I admit is a bit extreme but does that sound like somebody who just cant wait to get home or what !!!
I wish you a nice comfortable steady flight, and dont look back just forward, I just took a nice last minute look at our Las Vegas, I did shred a tear though I dont mind saying that, I still miss it, it was my home for a long time, and you are going to miss it too thats natural, after all it was your home for 27 years, I still keep in touch with my two friends in Seattle and my friend in Vegas by email and I always will,Well best of luck and have a great life with your Family,
Take care,
Rodney.
Thank you Rodney,
Yes I am excited, and just a little sad, saying goodbye is never easy. I have been packed for a while, and also have 4 suitcases...
I will keep in touch and let evryone know how its going. Its going to be different I know, but I am looking forward to the new adventure..

Don, Miracle whip, is a form of mayonaise..
Jackie
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
DDL, I am very fond of the Queen and respect the way she has honoured her vows, I was shopping in a market in South London during the Queen's Golden Jubilee, I think in 2002, a stallholder looked up at the lack of street decorations and said "Look at that! All that woman has done all these years is serve this country - and look at this! no bunting, no flags, no nothing!" As it turned out the actual day was wonderful, we watched her on TV when she came out on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to greet the thousands of wellwishers and view the RAF fly past. Ofcourse I also have memories of my parents' and relatives' attitudes to the Royal Family, some not very respectful but not with any hint they would change anything. Back in the 50's and 60's, the BBC would report that "The Queen/Queen Mother has a slight chill and will not be attending engagements planned for today..." My dear Mum had 8 children to look after whether ill or not and would say "Oh, poor cow, how will she manage".
LOL LOL LOL Pat M!!! Best laugh I have had today.

My mother was a bit like that with the Queen Mother too, she would say, yeah no wonder she lived to be 100, with all those servants, sitting on her **** doing nothing all day sipping on her gin, blah, blah. And she reckons the Crown Jewels are obscene and they should sell them and give the money to the people of Great Britain.

Actually except for the swearing my mother can be a bit like the Nan in The Catherine Tate Show. ha ha!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.