Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dunroving

you can probably reduce that to about £1,000 if you were to include only cash purchases like newspapers, bacon butty at the local cafe, and other minor purchases. I typically live quite frugally, don't splash out - so the TV, etc., for last year is highly unusual for me.
I had copied your previous list and this list you give today is on an annual basis.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Tyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really niceTyrone is just really nice

Originally Posted by aviva
Just something that you may wish to check into. I had heard that you can opt-out of Medicare and that by doing so your Social Security check is more. Haven't checked into it but planning to come over for an annual check-up may be costly.
Thanks Aviva.
I have not heard that so I will check it out next week and make a posting on the answer.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I had copied your previous list and this list you give today is on an annual basis.
OK, did my previous list add up to more than £1,000 pcm?

I think it should be do-able:

Council tax about £100
Groceries about £150
Utilities (gas, elec, phone, internet) about £170
home insurance £30
Additional cash expenses (lunch at the cafe, incidentals) £200

... that's £650 ... leaves a fair bit of leeway for other things. Of course, I haven't included car so you'd need to consider transport costs (train trips, etc., even if you have a bus pass you still will have some transport costs).

You wouldn't be in the lap of luxury but you could live frugally and comfortably I reckon
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think it should be do-able:

Council tax about £100*
Groceries about £150
Utilities (gas, elec, phone, internet) about £170
home insurance £30
Additional cash expenses (lunch at the cafe, incidentals) £200

... that's £650 ... leaves a fair bit of leeway for other things.
like a home maybe?

*adjusted for seniors
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I heard that about the BA staff strike Don, hope they can wait until after you have flown out!! How are you feeling about leaving Thailand and how is Mrs Don feeling about leaving her country?

I am a wee bit behind you at 35 sleeps!!

But first we have Jackie off the blocks with 4!!
3 sleeps and a wake up...
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

like a home maybe?

*adjusted for seniors
Oops, sorry, I think I was getting my posts and threads mixed up - I thought for some reason that the £1,000 was excluding rent. Oops. Then it might be a squeeze, but do-able.

I don't know how some folks get by on £140 pension per week plus benefits, honestly I don't.

That's why renting is better though, if you are short of money - no shock huge bills for unexpected repairs, just call the landlord.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:37 pm
Ping-ponger

like a home maybe?

*adjusted for seniors
Sorry, why is the council tax adjusted for seniors?

Actually, I live in a 3-BR semi so for a smaller property would have lower council tax, just another thing to consider.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know but its been mentioned on here in the past along with an allowance for winter heating payment for seniors.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Actually, I live in a 3-BR semi so for a smaller property would have lower council tax, just another thing to consider.
So finding a decent sheltered housing situation that includes some of those expenses would make life a bit easier.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:48 pm
Ping-ponger

I don't know but its been mentioned on here in the past along with an allowance for winter heating payment for seniors.
Yes, you will qualify for heating allowance - I posted a link recently to the amount that is involved.

I don't think there is a senior reduction for council tax (though I could be wrong), but there is 25% reduction for single occupant (I get that) and for things like disability and carers.

This link suggests that if a person is on pension credit they may get help with council tax: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018923
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you will qualify for heating allowance - I posted a link recently to the amount that is involved.

I don't think there is a senior reduction for council tax (though I could be wrong), but there is 25% reduction for single occupant (I get that) and for things like disability and carers.

This link suggests that if a person is on pension credit they may get help with council tax: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018923
Thats probably it.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:38 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow sooo many posts to catch up with, I haven't been on here much this past few days, trying to catch up with real life stuff!!

Some really cracking posts, too many to mention. It's lovely to see everybody popping in amongst doing Christmas shopping and wrapping presents, and all the festivities etc.

Sally, you are spot on, those that have a realistic view of what to expect like DDL/Denise and hubby are going to be the ones that make it through what can be a big cultural shock.

"Ye Good Olde Days" have well gone now and are in the past..........we can still get that from old movies, books, talking to relatives, museums, stately homes, etc. but that is our past...........

Life in the UK is out there to be lived in the year 2010/2011 and onwards...........just maybe in not the same way that we have gotten used to all these years living in another country and we all have a tendency to romanticize the past, especially ex pats I think. As much as we are all truly British inside, living in another country and getting used to "their" ways will have really rubbed off on us and some may find that difficult when trying to adjust to British ways.

A few weeks ago I accidentally found myself on page 1 of this thread and read maybe 20-30 pages forward and so many people who posted then are no longer here. Did they give up on their dream? Are they lurking but now "too afraid" to make the move? Or did they give it a go and found it all too hard? It would be really good to hear from the people who went back and it didn't work out for, if they could bring themselves to post here then it would give both sides of the coin.

I am very lucky in that I did go back for my "reccie" last year and know a hell of a lot more than I did in April 2009 and even so I am scared as all heck and my eyes are wide open!!

Oh and yes Sally having a lot of money would certainly help as a buffer and also the means to get back to whence you came if it doesn't work for you, no shame or embarrassment necessary, at least you can go to your maker knowing you tried.
you are too right. No matter how prepared you think you are or how British in the blood, it is a real culture shock. Not because it isnt what you want or who you are..but because its all of a sudden 'unfamiliar'. I think you cant really get past this point until you really do feel that all is familiar again and that takes time. I think we all look back at some point and think 'why did I make my life so difficult? Things were not perfect , but they were comfortable.'
I have been through some rough spots in the past five years, and even though I started to feel settled and happy...it was only recently, like in the past year that I can honestly say that its all familiar now and I know what I am doing. I am really comfortable now. really really comfortable.
Its a relief because now I finally feel that I am in my own element and yes, I truly am British in my blood. But you cant rush this, not after spending so many years away and learning different ways. It does take time. Lots of time.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
No Miracle Whip and Whip Cream are two different things here in the US - Miracle Whip comes in a tub and I really can't think of a similar product in the UK.
Havent found any either had a friend bring some over when she was visiting Canada in the fall. It is similiar to mayo but with a kick to it, I actually like it much better than mayo and love it with chips
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
F&S,,,Unfortunately no, but there is a web site, with recipes. dontheturner
Thankyou Don...
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

DunRoving if you lived anywhere near Preston or Newton Stewart which I'll be visiting I could bring you ziplocks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.