Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
As an American [probably the only one on this forum?] I'm just curious: How has the U.S. denied your human rights?
I believe it is a human right to have health care - for every human being. I do not believe someone should be taken off life support simply because their insurance ran out. That is what happened to my own mother!

I do not believe ANYONE should be living on the streets either.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:01 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
Those palm trees must remind you of North Carolina!
Hi Denise, on pic #3 that shows the wooden garden shed , there is a palmy thing visible to the left behind the wood fence, it is in the middle of my garden, totally tropical (now, where's my margarita jug)
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:03 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I believe it is a human right to have health care - for every human being. I do not believe someone should be taken off life support simply because their insurance ran out. That is what happened to my own mother!

I do not believe ANYONE should be living on the streets either.
To be fair Wind, there are many homeless people on the streets of the UK and Australia and every other country in the world I don't doubt.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:05 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
For those interested in houses, this is my next door neighbours house, feel free to peek inside,
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28374679.html

Mine is just the same construction, without the purple wall colours !!. On street view mine has a red garage door, (but now changed to white)
Wow, that's a lotta pink and purple!!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
OK its countdown time for Rosie since she is moving to Frome on Wednesday.
Did you get your train ticket? Be sure to take a picture of the train into Frome because it sounds uniquen. I think you said you may go into Bath or some other route this time so as not to have to lug your belongings too much?
I think I was looking at Westgate yesterday because they have express trains into Paddington and it is smaller than Frome but I think the housing is better in Frome. You mentioned the few shops in Frome and based on its size I think you may discover a lot more shops there.

How much did you have to pay the agent? This is probably all he gets out of it for his time, advertising and other expenses.

How much is the one way ticket on the train?

It will be so nice for you to be settled.

I can't thank you enough for the photos you took and they look so professional although sometimes I think I don't like professional pictures but yours are so much better.

Cheers
Yep, it's countdown time all right! I am doing some last minute London visiting this weekend - today I went to the Millenium Bridge, St. Pauls, walked all around the City, Southwark Bridge over to The Globe Theatre, and the Tate Modern. I was impressed with the conversion of a Power Station to an Art Gallery - wonderful use of the space. Hundreds of people all around, too many of them in the Gallery so I did not enjoy that aspect of the visit. But at least I went. The architecture along the south bank of the Thames is very interesting - I took a few photos which I will upload tomorrow.

You asked about my return to Frome. I will actually go to Bath, as there are more trains there than there are to Frome - there is only one daily direct train from Paddington to Frome, and it is an evening one. So the Lettings Agent will meet me at Bath and take me and all my multiple bags to my new home. And I can tell you all - I am so longing to get into my own space, with my very own key (and, yes, the downside: my very own bills!). I have been a lodger in friend's houses for too long and it is OLD...I wanted to get sorted before Christmas, and find a nice old church to go to for Christmas Eve services - have not done that for over 25 years, because American churches are just not the same - you know what I mean, too new. No musty smell, and everything is different.

My ticket will cost about £14 - £18 one way. I have not bought it yet - will do that from Ealing on Monday. The Lettings Agent cost me £250, which is awful, so I am taking advantage of his help with getting from the railway station, and - he even bought me a new bed as the one in the flat was broken, and needed to be replaced by the new tenant -me. So he and I conferred via email for two days, and the new bed will be delivered to my new flat on Tuesday, then I will reimburse him on Wednesday when I do the lease monies. So I am getting some value back for my expenditure! Rosie

Last edited by islandwoman120; Dec 11th 2010 at 9:09 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I found a pdf of Frome and I will try to upload it with this as it gives a lot of information about shops and businesses etc. I also found out that Frome is a Fairtrade city - which means a lot to me. It is also working on becoming a sustainable city - also very good. So I shall have a lot of areas of community living to get involved with - I also want a part time job, and that may take come doing. I love to clean! Who knows - may have to do that for a living. Will let you know as and when. Rosie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fairtrade_frome_leaflet_web.pdf (715.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf
Fromeshopping.pdf (3.60 MB, 879 views)
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
My ticket will cost about £14 - £18 one way. I have not bought it yet - will do that from Ealing on Monday. The Lettings Agent cost me £250, which is awful, so I am taking advantage of his help with getting from the railway station, and - he even bought me a new bed as the one in the flat was broken, and needed to be replaced by the new tenant -me. So he and I conferred via email for two days, and the new bed will be delivered to my new flat on Tuesday, then I will reimburse him on Wednesday when I do the lease monies. So I am getting some value back for my expenditure! Rosie
I'd say. He's not going to make much of a living if he works this hard for every £250 he makes! He is either the nicest person alive or you have charmed him into going over and above. Either way, good for you!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone,
First Congratulations are in order to Windsong, Denises' husband and Barb for their good luck in getting jobs. How great for you all, especially you Barb, in some ways I do envy you working in London, it is such a great city always something to see and do.
All the snow is gone from Ayr and the sun was shining brightly today but winter is suppose to return with a vengence next week. I went downtown today and the Salvation Army band was playing Christmas Carols on the high street and although the snow was terrible for some people it would of felt much more like Christmas if there had of been snow. I can only imagine Barb how hard it must be to get in the Christmas spirit when it is warm and sunny.

Well, Wee MacGregor comes to live with me on Thursday evening so I have been out getting a few things for him. I did get him this lovely teepee type dog bed that looks so lovely and cozy, a teddy bear for him to curl up with incase he misses mom and siblings, a lovely bunch of toys for him to play with and a lovely blanket for him to curl up with. Also got a spring gate to put across the kitchen/living room. My goodness it is like having a new baby, thinking of what you need to put away so he can't get into things etc. For those who don't have dogs , I am sure you must think I am mad, for those who do, I am sure you understand completely.

We are going to spending Christmas in Greenock with a work collegue and her family, we have become quite good friends and she would not take no for an answer and insisted that Mac and I come for the holidays. She explained that the initiation fee was a bottle of Champagne when I asked if I could bring something. Sounds like a lovely time though, Christmas Eve is a candle lit church service in a 300 year old church and Christmas day will not be the traditional Turkey, it will be roast Venison.

Rodney I am glad that you are enjoying being back home, and I am sure you and your son will be able to reconcile, just give it time.

Jackie and Don not long now, just one more Christmas in your adopted lands and then home for good.

If I have forgotten enone, please forgive.
Thanks Peigi, I have decided to take the job, depending on the pay of course, you cannot live on buttons in London. I will give it a go, probably do a house share thing like you did short term then take it from there, if the job or London doesn't work for me, then I will go back to the original plan. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I am not a dog or a cat person, but I can see that these little ones bring you all much joy and comfort. How lovely your Christmas sounds and hopefully by next year you will have your hubby with you and your other little furry friends.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:57 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe it is a human right to have health care - for every human being. I do not believe someone should be taken off life support simply because their insurance ran out. That is what happened to my own mother.
I'm very sorry about your mother and this is a very sensitive subject. I'm sorry I even asked the question.

It is not usual and customary practice in America to turn off life support because someone doesn't have insurance. I can't imagine a doctor doing that without other mitigating circumstances.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
For those interested in houses, this is my next door neighbours house, feel free to peek inside,
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28374679.html

Mine is just the same construction, without the purple wall colours !!. On street view mine has a red garage door, (but now changed to white)
Thanks for the picture of the house that converts to $272,400 and you didn't mention that the Queen is a neighbor of yours.

Cheers
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Thanks Peigi, I have decided to take the job, depending on the pay of course, you cannot live on buttons in London. I will give it a go, probably do a house share thing like you did short term then take it from there, if the job or London doesn't work for me, then I will go back to the original plan. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I am not a dog or a cat person, but I can see that these little ones bring you all much joy and comfort. How lovely your Christmas sounds and hopefully by next year you will have your hubby with you and your other little furry friends.
I hope that the money is what you wish for and yes I have looked at some of the rents down there and wow my little flat would be over £1000 per month. You are right, nothing ventured nothing gained at least you have an option.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm very sorry about your mother and this is a very sensitive subject. I'm sorry I even asked the question.

It is not usual and customary practice in America to turn off life support because someone doesn't have insurance. I can't imagine a doctor doing that without other mitigating circumstances.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you, DDL. It is not so much the people (although there are quite a few I would ditch in a heartbeat), it is the system here. In ways, I am fortunate. I have another country to go to.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Is it coincidence that Sally and Celtic both put up their avatars at the same time and thank you now I can put a face with a name or a baby with a name
)
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

This is the home I grew up in just outside of Edinburgh - lived there until we came to this place.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...9/UK/7and8.jpg

I had to crop it to take off the address.
Gorgeous.....just looks like where I grew up in Belfast!
Can you tell me how to upload to this forum please?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Eastern - Yes I FULLY understand about wee Mac - I have two little dogs and two cats myself and they are my BABIES! They get Christmas presents AND Christmas dinner, too

One thing I really miss from the UK is a "real" midnight mass in an old, old church at Christmas time. One day . . .

Thank you for your congrats about my job. I can't WAIT to hear from Bee to see what she is going to do about the job offer in London. I hope she takes it!!
Me too......My little church where I was baptized and married (first time) I plan to attend midnight mass on my first Xmas home again. I did attend eight years ago when I went back to Belfast for Xmas.......it has been way too long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.