Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I know this question has probably been asked many times before, but.....I was wondering if my US Netbook (laptop) will work in the UK?

I know I know..sorry!..
Jackie
Idy, yes, I believe it should but you will probably need a new power supply. I have an Apple Mac laptop and that's all I need for it to work over there.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ed.

I'm so glad you will be spending Christmas with friends this year, it will be so much better than last Christmas year.

I dig the Wee Mac thing, I Love dogs myself especially small ones, so Thursday will be Christmas at your house, Good for you, I can tell you are thrilled, me too.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Idy, yes, I believe it should but you will probably need a new power supply. I have an Apple Mac laptop and that's all I need for it to work over there.
Ty Wind,

Last time I was there I bought a English plug, that you can plug American plugs into...lol..so hopefully that will work??!!!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes they do, Ds took his HP with him and it works fine he went to the computer shop and bought a new cable to plug it in the wall for a recharge.
TY Mummy..
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ty Wind,

Last time I was there I bought a English plug, that you can plug American plugs into...lol..so hopefully that will work??!!!
Im not so sure thats a good idea Jackie, others will pipe in I'm sure, you need a transformer to change the voltage, not just a plug.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Ty Wind,

Idy, that's what I thought initially but I was told that won't work well. I don't know why.

Just noticed FnC's comment. Yes, you need to change the voltage.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im not so sure thats a good idea Jackie, others will pipe in I'm sure, you need a transformer to change the voltage, not just a plug.
OH ok..I will look into that then when i arrive..thank you..
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:41 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

OH ok..I will look into that then when i arrive..thank you..
Hi,
for a laptop, netbook etc with the black box 'brick', look on the label and will indicate the input power, something like 110 ~ 250 volts. This means you can put US (110 volts) and UK (240 volts) into it and get the same output to the laptop. Just plug it into a US to UK adapter plug, the 'brick' does the work

BUT, to be safe, in case the US plug / cable itself is not rated for UK power, is safer to buy a new plug / cable for between the wall and the brick, cost about 7 pounds (adaptors are nearly that much alone here in UK)

For a PC, expect to find a little red switch on the back for changing from US to UK power. You must manually switch to 240 volts before plugging your US PC into UK power.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi,
for a laptop, netbook etc with the black box 'brick', look on the label and will indicate the input power, something like 110 ~ 250 volts. This means you can put US (110 volts) and UK (240 volts) into it and get the same output to the laptop. Just plug it into a US to UK adapter plug, the 'brick' does the work

BUT, to be safe, in case the US plug / cable itself is not rated for UK power, is safer to buy a new plug / cable for between the wall and the brick, cost about 7 pounds (adaptors are nearly that much alone here in UK)

For a PC, expect to find a little red switch on the back for changing from US to UK power. You must manually switch to 240 volts before plugging your US PC into UK power.
Thanks JJ, It does say 110-240volts..thats great...and i will look for a new cable/plug. Thanks for your help..
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

For those interested in houses, this is my next door neighbours house, feel free to peek inside,
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28374679.html

Mine is just the same construction, without the purple wall colours !!. On street view mine has a red garage door, (but now changed to white)

Last edited by J.J; Dec 11th 2010 at 8:55 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lovely Wind..thank you..
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:56 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J.J
For those interested in houses, this is my next door neighbours house, feel free to peek inside,

Those palm trees must remind you of North Carolina!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.J

Mine is just the same construction, without the purple wall colours !!. On street view mine has a red garage door, (but now changed to white)
This is lovely, JJ! The sie is perfect, too )
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:58 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Today is Human Rights Day. I find it ironic I was offered the job today and can now begin to plan to go back home, especially since one of the main reasons I am leaving the U.S. is "lack of" human rights.

As an American [probably the only one on this forum?] I'm just curious: How has the U.S. denied your human rights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.