Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Why is it better to rent? Does it work out less expensive?

Heavens, I could even get by without a car in the UK with those fares, although I would probably get a decent secondhand one.
Secondhand car are very cheap in the UK. In our case the rub maybe the insurance.

Why rent? For me it is so I can see if it is the place I want to be. I need to check out the area. Also someone said on here that you can't get a mortgage after you turn 60. Check that out and don't take my word for it.

I was going to ask you if you lived near Muskigan, Mich.?
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Secondhand car are very cheap in the UK. In our case the rub maybe the insurance.

Why rent? For me it is so I can see if it is the place I want to be. I need to check out the area. Also someone said on here that you can't get a mortgage after you turn 60. Check that out and don't take my word for it.

I was going to ask you if you lived near Muskigan, Mich.?
Cheeres, no. I am in S.E. Michigan. Ann Arbor area. Can't get a mortgage after 60?? I hope not. It just might be, though.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fancyamortgage.co.uk/Over...theOver60s.asp

http://www.mortgagesorter.co.uk/elderly_mortgages.html

http://www.mortgagesorter.co.uk/elderly_mortgages2.html

I haven't read these yet but it appears it is possible to get a mortgage after 60. Thought I'd post them in case anyone else is interested.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

One more thing I should add as to why I am planning at least two years to make the move. I have been unemployed for six months and still looking. I will find a job eventually - and then the saving for the move begins!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Whose post are you responding to? If you hit the "Quote" button, it will include the post you are replying to (not always necessary, but when you say "you" in your post, I can't figure out whose posts you mean).

Also, am curious about your comment re: JFK being at fault for how hard it is to get a US visa - what's that about?
This quote was from another UK related forum.

JFK changed the rules on immigration. There was a quota for people from the UK that was so large anyone could get a visa if they qualified otherwise. I think the background on this was because UK people would integrate more easily into the US culture. People from other countries complained that their quota required them to wait for years so he changed things.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know where I can find a comparison of cost of living and standard of living for USA/UK? When I am 60, in two years time, I can elect to begin to receive US social security ($2200 a month) plus a $600 pension from a former employer. I am wondering how far I can get in Britain with $2800 a month. Perhaps I can live like a queen there and not have to work lol! Kidding!
That is one heck of a Social Security payment and pension!!! £1776.00 per month, I think you could live like a queen indeed!! Well maybe not a queen but certainly a princess!!

All this talk of the US working conditions and holidays has changed my view of America I have to say, and yet I come on here today and see this extremely large Social Security pension. I am not sure what the pension is in the UK or Australia but I bet it is NOTHING like this.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks for the photos - please, please post more of them if you have them handy - it looks gorgeous - a areal mix of stone and beams.

Sorry about your family not being there, but the offer to create a British Expatriates community is still open! Let's help each other settle in over here as best we can, and if that means more than one of use settling in the same town, that sounds a great way to go. First book into High Tide's B & B, then move on out into the countryside.

I have two lovely places to visit as potential rentals, both in Frome town, and the apartments in the village. Will have lots to post in the middle of December when I have done all that.

Rosie
Good luck with the rentals Rosie, that's a great idea about an Expats community although my family want me to live nearer to them this time.....here's another from the top of Cheap Street looking down, lovely knick knack shop the lady on the right is looking into the window of.....
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.-dscf1954.jpg  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Eastern. I will try to find DEFRA. I am trying to think of a way around the quarantine (6 months). A French friend told me if you bring them in to the UK through another country in the EU, you don't have to go through the 6-month quarantine but I don't know if that's true.
Welcome Windsong. I have a little experience with taking dogs to the UK. There is no way around the rules. One can put them in quarantine in the UK (worst choice and very expensive) or check the Defra website for having the procedures carried out here and after a good titer test you have just six months to wait. If you take a dog through Europe, it has to have similar procedures there and still have six months to wait even if one travels through the Chunnel to the UK. I spoke to a lady at the USDA yesterday and there is a slight rule change since the last time I took a dog over. Now there are specified accredited vets who must do the vaccinations and bloodwork.
I am just starting the process for my dogs. Good luck!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Welcome Windsong. I have a little experience with taking dogs to the UK. There is no way around the rules. One can put them in quarantine in the UK (worst choice and very expensive) or check the Defra website for having the procedures carried out here and after a good titer test you have just six months to wait. If you take a dog through Europe, it has to have similar procedures there and still have six months to wait even if one travels through the Chunnel to the UK. I spoke to a lady at the USDA yesterday and there is a slight rule change since the last time I took a dog over. Now there are specified accredited vets who must do the vaccinations and bloodwork.
I am just starting the process for my dogs. Good luck!
Thanks, Celtic. I didn't know about DEFRA until I joined this site just over one day ago. Now that I know, I will take them no other way
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That is one heck of a Social Security payment and pension!!! £1776.00 per month, I think you could live like a queen indeed!! Well maybe not a queen but certainly a princess!!

All this talk of the US working conditions and holidays has changed my view of America I have to say, and yet I come on here today and see this extremely large Social Security pension. I am not sure what the pension is in the UK or Australia but I bet it is NOTHING like this.
I found that pension large also. I have been paying social security payments all my working life here, and am paid in full, and 1300.00 is my max. maybe I am not sure how they work it out.
Jackie
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I found that pension large also. I have been paying social security payments all my working life here, and am paid in full, and 1300.00 is my max. maybe I am not sure how they work it out.
Jackie
That's what my annual statement said, the one I receive from the SSA. I think it is based on your earnings during your working life, but I am not sure. And now you have me concerned if I read it correctly.

Last edited by windsong; Nov 25th 2010 at 8:50 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Oh come to Somerset! If you look at my photographs on Flickr.com you will see some lovely photos that I took in October when I was there for a weekend. I, too am scared - that is quite an admission to make on such a public forum, but I am. This has been a massive undertaking so far, and I get many thoughts of jumping on a plane back to the US, but that all comes from not having a stable living situation, as I am still moving between friends.

If I get settled in Frome - and I have two places to look at next Wednesday - then I could start a trend. You all will know that I am there, and I could help the next person to adjust. Really. That would be great to have a group of like minded singles or couples who could support each other emotionally, instead of us all living dotted about the country, each scared and lonely while we adjust to a very different Britain to the one we left years ago.

Have a look at the photos and dream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

Rosie - heading off on another adventure
Hello Rosie,
We had a similar discussion several months ago regarding this 'dilemma'. We talked about having a centre for newly returned expats to stay until they found their sea legs, so to speak. I for one, would jump at this - it would be wonderful to know I'd have a safe place to go, with like-minded people, until I got settled.
Please keep this in mind - it's a very important topic (is that the word?).
Good luck with the house/flat hunt!!!
Tanto
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

That's what my annual statement said, the one I receive from the SSA. I think it is based on your earnings during your working life, but I am not sure. And now you have me concerned if I read it correctly.
I am sure you are correct, I have to admit I am kind of ignorant on that kind of thing, and I only went on my statement also. I am sure you have paid much more into your fund than I have.
Jackie..
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Dh has 32 years full time working in the US an his projected SS is Not quite that high but it's based on annual income so if you were always a high wage earner you will get more monthly. Dh's is just under $2000 at 65 but if he waits till 70 he's get $2300 I on the other hand have always worked part time, and looked after the kids so I'll get enough to buy the sunday paper and a pint of milk
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:28 pm
2aT
Forum Regular

2aT is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.fancyamortgage.co.uk/Over...theOver60s.asp

http://www.mortgagesorter.co.uk/elderly_mortgages.html

http://www.mortgagesorter.co.uk/elderly_mortgages2.html

I haven't read these yet but it appears it is possible to get a mortgage after 60. Thought I'd post them in case anyone else is interested.
Re getting a mortgage. BIL (uk resident) wanted to buy a second property for his daughter to rent from him...he could only get a mortgage for 9 years at age 56, the reason explained to him was because that was the remaining years of a normal working life before you collect your pension at 65, as in 56+9=65. Hope this makes sense to you...not sure whether it is the same for women as for men as women can retire at age 60 so hence where someone said you can't get a mortgage if you are 60 or older.

By the way Rodney if you are out there somewhere have a safe and happy return flight home, I've been watching your progress from the sidelines since day one...the best of British to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.