Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I have two, one is on my picture, she is a 1 yr old Shitszu, Maddie who is a real clown and I love her dearly, the other one is a Siberian Husky/Wolf cross who as I have said in another post has saved me from harm once and my husband and I once, she is 9 years old, so getting to be an old girl, they have become very much our family, as all the kids have been quite far away from us for quite a few years now. It has been hard not having them with me but they have been wonderful for keeping my husband spirits up.

Originally Posted by shelley748
Thats great!! So happy that everything is coming together- fingers crossed for the job side and then you will all be set!!!

What kind of pooch do you have?

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 1st 2009 at 4:44 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I think those who are interested need to brain storm and then get together to figure out how to do this, I believe strongly in this venture. Especially with all the people that have plans to come back home to UK. I am sure we are only hearing from a small percentage on this forum. During the 60's and 70's there was a huge amount of immigrants going to US, Canada and Australia, it seems that these are the people who are planning on returning and need the most assistance.

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
I would be interested in something like this with a group. I think it's a fantastic idea. But no idea how to start it!!!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I think those who are interested need to brain storm and then get together to figure out how to do this, I believe strongly in this venture. Especially with all the people that have plans to come back home to UK. I am sure we are only hearing from a small percentage on this forum. During the 60's and 70's there was a huge amount of immigrants going to US, Canada and Australia, it seems that these are the people who are planning on returning and need the most assistance.
Firstly...marvellous news Easterndawn...how lovely it is to hear all the pcs of the puzzle are coming together in your plan!

Re: the returning expat villa....maybe a one-step-at-a-time thing but very dooable..here's my 10cents worth of suggestion;..I would say IMHO that several folks when collected together in same area should do a meet-up or Skype call and conference on scouting for a prospective property suitable for the villa...one or two persons could be on site for permanent management.

I believe I recall one person saying they would like to have a go at running something like that...

The cost for the stay would be "going rates" and the extra incoming when full in fund to offset vacant period to avoid overloading the permanent managers...

Property would ideally be adjacent to centre for the paperwork and hunting for property accquisiton...essentially a workbase for a couple of weeks to get acclimated with how things are done there now in UK and get your papers in place.

Maybe it could be run like a B&B with an accent on keeping ones own nest in good order...that's my input...my relocation area is to be South West coastal UK around Plymouth, Poole nothing concrete yet....but willing to help when arrived...sign me up!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Re: the villa again....maybe creation of a cameo site/new thread for those interested in the construction of creating this concept of the expat villa for returnees and helping making it a reality...that's 20c in total investment now!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think the idea of new thread would be good idea, not sure how to do this, so if someone can do this it would be great, as we don't want to change what this thread is about. Of course people could be redirected to the new site somehow.
Originally Posted by Relocateme
Re: the villa again....maybe creation of a cameo site/new thread for those interested in the construction of creating this concept of the expat villa for returnees and helping making it a reality...that's 20c in total investment now!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

If people were prebooked, could they use this as an address to get any paperwork started before arriving, banking etc.. Perhaps if the house was full a network of B& B's could be used, they would have to be within walking distance of main centre. Also thanks for the thoughts

QUOTE=Relocateme;8062375]Firstly...marvellous news Easterndawn...how lovely it is to hear all the pcs of the puzzle are coming together in your plan!

Re: the returning expat villa....maybe a one-step-at-a-time thing but very dooable..here's my 10cents worth of suggestion;..I would say IMHO that several folks when collected together in same area should do a meet-up or Skype call and conference on scouting for a prospective property suitable for the villa...one or two persons could be on site for permanent management.

I believe I recall one person saying they would like to have a go at running something like that...

The cost for the stay would be "going rates" and the extra incoming when full in fund to offset vacant period to avoid overloading the permanent managers...

Property would ideally be adjacent to centre for the paperwork and hunting for property accquisiton...essentially a workbase for a couple of weeks to get acclimated with how things are done there now in UK and get your papers in place.

Maybe it could be run like a B&B with an accent on keeping ones own nest in good order...that's my input...my relocation area is to be South West coastal UK around Plymouth, Poole nothing concrete yet....but willing to help when arrived...sign me up![/QUOTE]
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Easterdawn and everyone out there, I dont know if anybody remembers me I posted a few things a couple of months ago this is Rodney from Las Vegas, still planning to return to England within a year from now, I got lots of advice from people on this thread about my U.S. Citizen application, I was not sure if I should do it now or leave it till next year in June when I turn 65 cause the questions are fewer and esier for the test, I have been living in U.S. for 32 years now,
Well a few days ago I just decided to go ahead with it, I saw an Immigration Attorney for consultation and told her about the couple of minor issues I had that was worrying me like the misdemeanor pot charge in the late 70's in Reno, she said no problem, it is over 30 years ago and that I have been of good moral charecter since then,
So I just downloaded the forms on line and just filled them out myself very carefully and then I double then tripple checked everything and printed them out with a copy for me and just mailed it off at the post office certified mail with my cashiers check for $675 the fee, so its on its way and guess what, even though I dont know what the outcome will be at the end I feel a great releif that I have finaly got off my ass and done it, so now I just wait,
Again thanks to everyone out there for all your advice and good luck to everyone else who is waiting to get there citizenship,
I will keep you all posted,
Rodney.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on getting yourself a home Easterndawn...hopefully you'll be on a roll now.

I noticed you said one of your dogs was crossed with a wolf...have you checked to find out if you can take it into the UK? If so you may be required to obtain a special licence...wolfdogs may come under The Dangerous Wild Animals Act. After checking with DEFRA check with your local authority too....they may have additional restrictions.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 1st 2009 at 10:45 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Easterdawn and everyone out there, I dont know if anybody remembers me I posted a few things a couple of months ago this is Rodney from Las Vegas, still planning to return to England within a year from now, I got lots of advice from people on this thread about my U.S. Citizen application, I was not sure if I should do it now or leave it till next year in June when I turn 65 cause the questions are fewer and esier for the test, I have been living in U.S. for 32 years now,
Well a few days ago I just decided to go ahead with it, I saw an Immigration Attorney for consultation and told her about the couple of minor issues I had that was worrying me like the misdemeanor pot charge in the late 70's in Reno, she said no problem, it is over 30 years ago and that I have been of good moral charecter since then,
So I just downloaded the forms on line and just filled them out myself very carefully and then I double then tripple checked everything and printed them out with a copy for me and just mailed it off at the post office certified mail with my cashiers check for $675 the fee, so its on its way and guess what, even though I dont know what the outcome will be at the end I feel a great releif that I have finaly got off my ass and done it, so now I just wait,
Again thanks to everyone out there for all your advice and good luck to everyone else who is waiting to get there citizenship,
I will keep you all posted,
Rodney.
Good for you Rodney, I bet you'll pass with flying colours.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn....So very happy for you everything is coming together and its all because you worked hard at it. Congratulations Lets hope you find the perfect job and then your hubby and doggies can join you.

I like a few others have finally decided that I would become a US citizen after almost 30years. I also downloaded the forms and filled them in and will be posting them this week. Thought it would be a good idea as it looks like we will be here another 6months. Might as well do something useful while I wait. Being 66 didnt know the test was easier that makes me feel better.

We put the house back on the market and dropped the price by $50,000 I am not sure it will help but nothing is moving in this area and they are saying it could get worse. We had thought to rent it to our daughter but she added up what the payments would be and could not afford it.l
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Congratulations on getting yourself a home Easterndawn...hopefully you'll be on a roll now.

I noticed you said one of your dogs was crossed with a wolf...have you checked to find out if you can take it into the UK? If so you may be required to obtain a special licence...wolfdogs may come under The Dangerous Wild Animals Act. After checking with DEFRA check with your local authority too....they may have additional restrictions.
I believe that is the case. A wolf/dog hybrid comes under the UK Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 and a license issued by the court is required. However if the dog is third generation or further removed from the wolf then a license is not required.

Congrats on your new home
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

She is part wolf somewhere way down the line as are most dogs in the north, we did check with DEFRA a couple of years ago and they said there would be no problem, she is also collie crossed as well as huskyand that is what it says on all her paperwork from our vet.

Originally Posted by Patzy
I believe that is the case. A wolf/dog hybrid comes under the UK Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 and a license issued by the court is required. However if the dog is third generation or further removed from the wolf then a license is not required.

Congrats on your new home
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
She is part wolf somewhere way down the line as are most dogs in the north, we did check with DEFRA a couple of years ago and they said there would be no problem, she is also collie crossed as well as huskyand that is what it says on all her paperwork from our vet.
That's great......
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought I'd post that I've traveled by train down to London today, and the trains are wonderful here. I've got my senior pass (which anyone over 60 can get) which gives 25% off ticket prices.

It's a lovely sunny day and most of the journey was through countryside that doesn't seem changed from 100 years ago, so it is all there still to be enjoyed. The "big sky" almost rivals the prairies, with nothing to interrupt it but trees.

I'm off to visit Aspley House (used to be the Duke of Wellington's pad with the address Number One, London.) And that reminded me to join Engish Heritage, which gives entry to a lot of places. I love history. And I find there's a very nice senior rate. I hope it clicks in at 60.

If I'd traveled for 4 hours from Victoria, it would have got me to Vancouver!
An hour out to the ferry and mostly you need to be there at least half an hour ahead, maybe an hour. An hour and a half on the ferry. An hour into Vancouver. It is a beautiful ferry ride, but I'm just saying. It's not the same as going to London, is it?

Darn, those rose-tinted specs seem glued on!

Bev
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know what you mean, 4 hours would not have gotten me very far in Canada and certainly not anywhere as exciting as London, It cost $52.00 to get off the island by the bridge and $68.00 if you take the ferry, so there is one hour or one hour and 15 minutes, that only takes you to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia. To get to large city like Montreal or Toronto you would be travelliing by car for another 2 days. I still have a hard time getting my head around the fact that I can go to London in 5 hours from here, or anywhere in Europe and it would not cost an arm and a leg or as my kids used to say a hand and a foot

Once we are settled and finacially more secure I am looking looking forward to being able to making weekend train trips to wonderful places full of history and heritage.

Originally Posted by Bevm
I just thought I'd post that I've traveled by train down to London today, and the trains are wonderful here. I've got my senior pass (which anyone over 60 can get) which gives 25% off ticket prices.

It's a lovely sunny day and most of the journey was through countryside that doesn't seem changed from 100 years ago, so it is all there still to be enjoyed. The "big sky" almost rivals the prairies, with nothing to interrupt it but trees.

I'm off to visit Aspley House (used to be the Duke of Wellington's pad with the address Number One, London.) And that reminded me to join Engish Heritage, which gives entry to a lot of places. I love history. And I find there's a very nice senior rate. I hope it clicks in at 60.

If I'd traveled for 4 hours from Victoria, it would have got me to Vancouver!
An hour out to the ferry and mostly you need to be there at least half an hour ahead, maybe an hour. An hour and a half on the ferry. An hour into Vancouver. It is a beautiful ferry ride, but I'm just saying. It's not the same as going to London, is it?

Darn, those rose-tinted specs seem glued on!

Bev

Last edited by Easterndawn; Nov 2nd 2009 at 7:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.