Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
Now I know
Yes cheers the penny has finally dropped for me too, By Jove I think Ive got it,
So ---- DS means dear son, ----- and DH means dear husband, or as some Women on here prefer ----- HWMBO --- He who must be obeyed, did I get that right ladies?
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Rodney.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Well, I made it here! Thanks for all the good wishes - I did think of you all as I was flying over the Atlantic ocean - the airplane had a TV monitor that showed where on the map the plane had reached, how many miles were left to travel, plus the time needed to get to Heathrow. I traveled US Air - not sure if I would recommend them as the first leg of the flight from Minneapolis to Philly was booked solid, and there is preferential boarding, so the business class got on first and took up all the overhead bins, leaving no room, as in NO room for anyone else. So within 10 minutes of the boarding starting, everyone else had to leave their carry on bags at the gate for loading into the hold. Well, I had all my good china and crystal glasses packed for carry on, not for luggage hold, so as you can imagine, there is not much left intact. Luckily I lived in the US for enough years to know how to file an insurance claim and fight for my rights, as the airline will not be happy to cover fragile items - even when their own staff would not allow me to look after my own interests.

OK, on to the UK. First impressions: Heathrow is a muddle - too many people arriving at one time, too many lines. It took an hour to get to the Immigration officer - I was travelling on my US passport as my UK one is not yet renewed, so I was in the longest line in the world, I swear. If you can get your UK passport updated before travelling, make sure to do that - it will save your temper! I did more walking in the first two hours on UK soil than I have done in months - should lose all the weight I gained in the US, which is a good thing. The country seems so miniature compared to the US - well, it is, but the roads are narrow, the cars are tiny, lots of traffic on the London roads (nothing new there) and sometimes the US seems better organised. But - the populace are relaxed - no anxious faces around.

I went shopping yesterday with my friend with whom I am staying, then again today on my own. I am currently in the west of London, where there is a mixed Commonwealth population, so it is an interesting mix of people and languages. Yes, many languages spoken at the same time - does not seem like a traditional English town - because it isn't. Many shops to visit, and I only went into the ones I needed items from, such as M & S, Boots, and Currys. Currys was a joke - most of the staff either did not understand, or did not speak, English. So I am going to buy the electronic items I need (for using my US computers etc. in the UK) on line, that way there will be no issue. I managed to get a renewable battery charger because I could help myself to that from the display on the wall, but trying to get the clerk to understand that I need a power cord was not possible... I got a Debit Card from Thomas Cook - there was a small charge for putting GB pounds on the card, whereas the other EU currencies are free, but now I have a card I can use at ATM machines (there is a 1.5- GBpound charge for this each time) but it is free to use for purchases - which is why I got it. I do not know if the other companies that offer this same/a similar card make the same charges. I gave Thomas Cook $700 and after a $8 charge, they put $400 on my debit card, and gave me back a small amount of change too. Tomorrow the rate may change, but today that is what I got.

The grocery stores were plentiful - yesterday I went into regular sized Tesco, and it was jammed with people - on a Sunday. There is now Sunday trading from 11am - 6pm - I do not know if that is all over the UK, or just region by region. There is also a Sainsburys Local, and a Spar store - the Local is like a convenience store in the USA - basic items provided, no frills, limited choice. The main Post Office in the area had closed, and a smaller one has moved into the back of W H Smith. The lines were unbelievable. There is a Foreign Exchange window in the Post Office - the rates are posted at each Foreign Exchange place, and there is not much, if any, difference between them. I suppose if I had many thousands of dollars to change then I would have shopped more carefully, but I know Thomas Cook from years ago, and they were fine to deal with. In the Post Office, the passport and drivers licence forms were out, so I will use the Internet for those. I got my passport photos taken at a local photo store, at a cost of 6.99 pounds. I could have used a machine, but I wanted to make sure I got photos I could actual send to the Passport and Drivers license places! I only had to wait 10 minutes for the photos to be ready, and got them given to me in a little folder, each one already cut properly to the required size.

At the moment, I am glad to be here, but still making comparisons with the USA, so I will just post facts, not opinions when I write. Each person will have their own opinions to work with, and I am not going to be one of those dreaded negative posters. I am just now recovering properly from the jet lag + the stress of packing and moving, and I know that is a negative factor for me.

Until next time - I will check in with more of my daily activities on Wednesday - tomorrow is stay at home and administrative day for me. If anyone wants specific information that I am able to get for them, please post it or send me a private email. I will do my best to help. Rosie

Rosie.

So glad you made it home safe, Sorry about the china and glass, that's really a bummer.

US Air, flew with them once, not bad airline but hated going thru Phili, just a dump compared to most US airports, seemed very unorganised, and not too clean.

UK is always such a busy place especially airports, you are right about a UK passport, it will save you time, shorter lines.

All that walking, that's why many Brit's are thinner, I'm sure of it, I could use some of that walking myself hahahaaaaaa.

Shopping, Curry's etc, Yes England especially the large cities are multicultural and sometimes you can be faced with someone who speaks with a foreign tongue, that's a thing that is forever changing.

I think most supermarkets are open on Sundays, gone are the days where they would close at 6PM Saturday and open again on Monday, some are open 24 hrs on weekends only.

US/UK comparisons, I think people like us will always be comparing, after 34 yrs I'm still doing it, I might be always comparing but I hope not, Id love to settle down, both places have good and bad points, and that's the truth as I see it.

"Dreaded negative posters." hahahaaaa

Jet lag is a tough one, I have a 8 hour time change, as I get older it affects me even more.

Thanks for the report, and take care, Don't have too much FUN.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I understand Rodney that you are flying with Virgin Atlantic?

Well the good news is.....alcohol on Virgin and British Airways flights - even in economy class - is free unlike the US airlines where you have to pay for beer, wine and spirits

TBH if I were you, be very, very nice to the person at the check-in desk. Tell them how excited you are that you are returning to live in the UK after living overseas for so many years and give them your nicest smile. I wouldn't ask outright for a free upgrade, but do ask the person how much it is to upgrade to Premium Economy. It may already be full, but if not they should tell you how much it will cost. Tell them that sorry, it is too expensive for you as you have had a lot of expenses with moving back to England.

With a bit of luck, you might find that they may give you a free upgrade (if not at check-in, but perhaps at the boarding gate.
Hello Englishmum,
What the heck does TBH mean? I dont know, all these abbreviations are driving me crazy,
I am trying to decipher this code, and I came up with a few things but they didn't make sense,
Rodney.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Englishmum,
What the heck does TBH mean? I dont know, all these abbreviations are driving me crazy,
I am trying to decipher this code, and I came up with a few things but they didn't make sense,
Rodney.
T.B.H. To Be Honest.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hello Englishmum,
Rodney.
To Be Honest, Rod...and then you get IMHO - In My Humble Opinion, LMAO - Laughing My Ass Off. I could go on and on, but some of the good ones are rude Helps when you have kids to keep you informed.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I found a cheat sheet for us.
Here All the abbreviations we need.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jackie,
And welcome to this thread, I also live in Vegas, came here from Reno 14 years ago, sorry to here of your kidney cancer, but after your recovery I do hope that it all works out for you that you will be able to return to England,
You are so right when you say that Vegas is a very cold and lonely place,
I have grown to hate it in this Town,
I am going home to England for good in a little over 8 weeks from now, I made my decision about a year ago, and I am very excited in going home, my Mum is 91 and I am very fortunate that I will be living with her,
Jackie my advice to you is do everything you can to make that move back to your roots --- the UK ---- I am sure you will be happy there,
I have lived in US for 36 years and I know for sure that this is my time to go back to my home,
Take good care of yourself,
Rodney.
Thank you Rodney, and everyone else for your warm wishes. Fortunately fo me I dont own a home, I rent..so that wont be much of a problem, and its sad to say after 34 years, that I can probably take everything I need in a couple of suitecases.
I did have some wonderful times and years here in the US, but it has become a struggle lately just to survive, and now with this operation, I will probably loose everything..so if I am going to start over again, I want to do it where people care for me, in a place where you know your neighbors, and you can walk into the Village for your morning paper, and pass people walking their dogs..who always have a "mornin" for you... I am actually looking forward to getting this surgery behind me, and as soon as I am cleared for take off..I am out of Dodge.. (see I have been here to long
Jackie
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
FOCL
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
jackie, welcome to the forum, so sorry to read about your illness.
You should definitely hook up with Rodney, he can tell you all about his journey, he is also ace at clearing out "stuff" no man I know can work for a day and get rid of 30 something years of stuff in 90 degree heat......
Where are you Rodney!!!

Yes Pompey flipping annihilated my Leicester...........
Hey charleygirl how you doing? sorry about the Pompey game with Leicester
And by the way the temp that day when I was clearing out my garage was 110 degree of heat, and I was sweating all day like a Wee Pig Oink Oink,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

OMG Mummy, where DID you find that!! Its hilarious
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jackie,
And welcome to this thread, I also live in Vegas, came here from Reno 14 years ago, sorry to here of your kidney cancer, but after your recovery I do hope that it all works out for you that you will be able to return to England,
You are so right when you say that Vegas is a very cold and lonely place,
I have grown to hate it in this Town,
I am going home to England for good in a little over 8 weeks from now, I made my decision about a year ago, and I am very excited in going home, my Mum is 91 and I am very fortunate that I will be living with her,
Jackie my advice to you is do everything you can to make that move back to your roots --- the UK ---- I am sure you will be happy there,
I have lived in US for 36 years and I know for sure that this is my time to go back to my home,
Take good care of yourself,
Rodney.
I do have one question maybe you can help me with. In my many moves over the years I have lost my British passport, I do have a US one, and of course my British Birth certificate..will that be ok to return with.?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey charleygirl how you doing? sorry about the Pompey game with Leicester
And by the way the temp that day when I was clearing out my garage was 110 degree of heat, and I was sweating all day like a Wee Pig Oink Oink,
Take care,
Rodney.
LOL..we pray for 90 degree days dont we?? thats really nice and cool...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Your right Mummy! I just saw a post were he said he is 65.

Rodney - go for it, your memory will be less sharp the longer you leave it, so do it now! Anishq - I admire you for moving at age 71, makes me feel like a wimp at hesitating at age 58!!

this is how I got mixed up.
Hello Cheers,
Yes now I can see where you got mixed up about my age, I remember those posts back in January I think or maybe a couple of months before, but I dont remember that one that thought I was 71 at the time, I was asking all my friends on here if they thought I should apply for my US Citizenship now or should I wait until I was 65 when the civic questions are less and easier,
Many people just said do it now, and so they all pushed me to do it and so I did and passed my interview with flying colors, and so I became an American Citizen in a very short time from start to finish --- in 9 weeks, I cant thank all my friends on here enough for there support, not just for that but for everything after, I honestly do not know what I would have done without this thread, I love everyone here, and people on here live all over the world, and we are so supportive of each other, this is for sure the best group of people that one could ever find,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hello Mummy -Bit different to the ones, we used in the RAF, when courting and writing to our young ladies!
ITALY, SWALK, HOLLAND, AMERICA, BURMA, and a very rude one- CAPSTAN.
Back to more serious info: My Thai Wife went to Bangkok Yesterday for her TB Xray, and a renewal of expired Settlement Visa, for us to return . They had told her, three months waiting list. But she came out with both (Has to show Xray Plate at Heathrow) and is now on her coach, back to me. Oh! PS - Rodney? he's still young! I am +80...dontheturner
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hello Cheers,
I honestly do not know what I would have done without this thread, I love everyone here, and people on here live all over the world, and we are so supportive of each other, this is for sure the best group of people that one could ever find,
Take care,
Rodney.
I echo those sentiments Rodney - This Forum is so helpful, to us all and by far superior, to any I am a member of! I was a member, of several Yahoo groups, and they are no comparison. The Advice is so reliable, Often, I have been misinformed, and found the true facts on here, and I have only been here in Thailand, for four years. Still cannot wait to get back to the Cooler climate! Shropshire - here we come (February) dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.