Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wow, DDL, you can get transderm patches where you are! Oh how I envy you. They dont sell them here in Aus and I couldnt find any in UK either but for long haul flights they made my life so much easier. I hope the ocean wave will be very calm for you!!!

All the best for your new adventure!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Location: making plans to return to the UK....Plans were successful, arrived in UK safe & sound
Katey70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted...been very busy in preparation for our return to the UK.

We have sold our condo, listed items for sale on craig's list, made arrangements to have stuff shipped to the UK. All of this would not have been possible without the help and information from everyone on this site...so a big thank you to all of you.

We move out of our condo August 28 and will spend two weeks in a B&B then leave Sept 8th for the UK where we have temporary accommodation until we can find a permanent home, in Border country...probably around Kelso.

My last day at work is tomorrow (July 30th) and Stewart's last day is Aug 6th.

Good luck to all who have made it home, those who are on their way, and those who are thinking about.

Catherine

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
OK roll call ----- Denise and Hubby are the next people to go back home I think, there ship leaves on August 8th, now does anyone know who the next ones are to return to the nest,
My big plane is leaving Vegas for Gatwick on November 30th just 4 months to go for me, Oh boy dont the months go by fast, is anyone before me? there has been so many people that left to go home in the last few months its hard to remember who is next,
Rodney.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Katey70
Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted...been very busy in preparation for our return to the UK.

We have sold our condo, listed items for sale on craig's list, made arrangements to have stuff shipped to the UK. All of this would not have been possible without the help and information from everyone on this site...so a big thank you to all of you.

We move out of our condo August 28 and will spend two weeks in a B&B then leave Sept 8th for the UK where we have temporary accommodation until we can find a permanent home, in Border country...probably around Kelso.

My last day at work is tomorrow (July 30th) and Stewart's last day is Aug 6th.

Good luck to all who have made it home, those who are on their way, and those who are thinking about.

Catherine
Best of Luck!!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Seems so many are making the move in the next few months.

Katey70.. Goodluck on your move please keep in touch and let us know how things work our for you.

DDL.. I wish you all the best, just remember once your gone family tend to make other arrangements and your spot will be filled. I know its a cruel thing to say but it is the truth. You are doing whats best for you and thats good you only have one life. By the way I hope I am as organized as you are when the time comes for my move.

Charleygirl..Have you received your re-evaluation yet?

Wonder how Easterndawn and Aces1 are doing suppose they are both very busy. Just sending good thoughts your way if you look in and dont have time to post.

Rodney do you have an idea of those who moved back within the past year. I wish we could keep their names somewhere it would be handy and maybe have a map of the UK with pins where people went to live. So far we have people in Ireland, Scotland, Malta and I think someone is down in Dorset.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Seems so many are making the move in the next few months.

Katey70.. Goodluck on your move please keep in touch and let us know how things work our for you.

DDL.. I wish you all the best, just remember once your gone family tend to make other arrangements and your spot will be filled. I know its a cruel thing to say but it is the truth. You are doing whats best for you and thats good you only have one life. By the way I hope I am as organized as you are when the time comes for my move.

Charleygirl..Have you received your re-evaluation yet?

Wonder how Easterndawn and Aces1 are doing suppose they are both very busy. Just sending good thoughts your way if you look in and dont have time to post.

Rodney do you have an idea of those who moved back within the past year. I wish we could keep their names somewhere it would be handy and maybe have a map of the UK with pins where people went to live. So far we have people in Ireland, Scotland, Malta and I think someone is down in Dorset.
Good Morning Trottytrue, Thanks for the good thoughts, I finally have a couple of days off, yesterday, did nothing but try to catch up with washing etc., today will try to get out for a few hours.
We have a new Assistant Manager who's first day was Monday, on Tuesday or General Manager left for Edinburgh for 3 days. The regular receptionist had two days off, so it was Tom and I, two housekeepers and one chef, oh by the way the second chef, who started on Monday left via the back door after 4 hours. This is the start of the busy season with a bowling tournment, flower show and racing going on in the town this week, there were lots of people who showed up and we had no booking, the bookings that were in the computer were not complete, the telephone system would only allow calls to come in , could not call out, the credit card machine would not allow us to take cards and oh yes on Wednesday morning, pipes collapsed under the dishwasher causing us to have to hand wash all the dishes. The chef was calling the hotel Faulty Towers and I am not sure if the Assistant Manager will be back after his two days off, as he went back home for those. It was such a terrible two days that all I could do was laugh about it. What was funny when the General Manager finally appeared at 8pm on Wednesday, all she was worried about was how many rooms we had available and did I get quotes for the plumbing.

Welcome to all the new people joining the thread and good luck to all who are leaving soon.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hello all!!
So many ppl ready to come to UK and the time is flying along
Too many posts to catch up with and a warm welcome to all the new ones on this thread
When I got back into Brum my new drivers licence was waiting for me
so it only took 3 months...ha....the DVLA kept asking about my ability to drive a standard or automatic vehicle and they went on to say that my Canadian drivers licence did not state in which type I had taken my test in 1976

What a load of cobblers~!!

I reminded them that I was in UK and took my test in 1966 and at that time there were no automatic vehicles

Now I have a full licence for 8 yrs

The only other hurdle is Canada Pension who wont give me a document of entry into Canada showing the date I emigrated (costing $30) to prove my orig entry date into Canada for my pension claim

I need this document in order for the Canada pension to be calculated
I now have a pile of papers 1" thick

Canada Pension refuse to deal with me since I am outside Canada
Nice eh?

So you Canadians who do not yet collect pension ....think on....there are a few hurdles to jump when the time comes

British pension is available to me however if a person leaves UK, pension is frozen....not good......better to get the Canadian one and then you can travel at will

Just my take on it
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
I have just finished reading those very interesting and honest posts of Ed and Anna and Denise1 and trottytrue and I thank you all for being so honest about how you see your life in UK & Anna in Malta so far,
I think a lot of people that have just recently moved back in say the last year are or have been until now reporting on the good things that they see and feel,

Im feeling they were just a little afraid to tell all of us still here in US or Canada or Oz or New Zealand or wherever our adopted country is the other things that they are struggling with over there in UK thinking that it would deter us from coming home or that we would have second thoughts,

But to my mind this type of honesty is what all us people getting ready and waiting for our flight to UK needs to hear, and also all the rest that are still in there two year thinking if they want to take the plunge or not,

Everyone on this wonderful thread of ours have our own reasons for wanting to go back, some have family that they are leaving here when they go back, and some like me who has no family in US whatsoever and now not even a single friend here --- for me I feel that its a much easier decision that I had to make as I only really had my self to think about on this side of the pond --- but having said that I think of how wonderful it will be to live the rest of my days over there in UK with all my family, primarily though I am really just going back to be with my 91 year old Mum, and it will also be nice to be with the rest of my family too,
Also what makes it an easier decision for me and others like Don and others that I cant remember now who are at the retiring age like me who are 65 or over and when they go back home they will have there social security or state pension from there adopted country plus some of us will also be entitled to a small reduced state pension from UK for the years that we worked there before we emigrated out here many years ago, so when we people go back home we will be retired and so will not have the worry of thinking --- will I be able to find a Job to support myself, and if I do will it be a Job that I will like or maybe I will hate it --- or maybe like Ed bless her heart who has been through absolute hell to date since she has been back in Scotland 10 months now, she is having really too much bad luck in finding a steady permanent Job that will last,

So peoples circumstances when they leave make a whole lot of difference for them when they make the decision to move back home,

Me I feel that Im blessed cause I still have my Mum alive and so far quite well to go back to, I will be retired with no worries of having to find a Job or a place to live and pay the rent,
Just speaking for myself and being honest like we are now with each other and speaking our minds right now, for me I could not and would not have made this decision to move back to England at an earlier age then 65 like I am now or if I didn't have someone over there like family or friends to live with, thats just how I feel, and having said that I take my hat off to everyone of you brave souls in your 50,s and there are so many of you who are going back with no Job No place to live and in some circumstances not even any family or friends over there, and in a lot of circumstances very little money to go back with ---- to my mind these are the true brave ones and I respect you all, you are true (PIONEERS) in every sense of the word --- and I may add with a lot more guts then I will ever have,
I wish you LUCK and I hope things will work out for you all, but we must all when we get there keep thinking positive and trying not to think of how much we still miss our adopted country --- but I know that is going to be real hard for me at times when I get over there, cause I do love the USA and the people here, but for me it is the right time for me to go home, and I will take the good and the bad, but yes Im scared as hell cause I dont know what to expect over there, after living in the US for 36 years I know its going to be a tough road even for me,
Take care everybody,
Rodney,
PS on a last thought, I feel that it is so important for everyone to get there citizenship from there adopted country before they move back to UK the main reason is that nothing is written in stone, we are going to try it out thats all, we all have good intensions right now --- but always remember that if it dont work out over there we can always come back to the life that we are used to,
What a wonderful post.it does make us think if we are doing the right thing,but only time will tell...
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Hello all!!
So many ppl ready to come to UK and the time is flying along
Too many posts to catch up with and a warm welcome to all the new ones on this thread
When I got back into Brum my new drivers licence was waiting for me
so it only took 3 months...ha....the DVLA kept asking about my ability to drive a standard or automatic vehicle and they went on to say that my Canadian drivers licence did not state in which type I had taken my test in 1976

What a load of cobblers~!!

I reminded them that I was in UK and took my test in 1966 and at that time there were no automatic vehicles

Now I have a full licence for 8 yrs

The only other hurdle is Canada Pension who wont give me a document of entry into Canada showing the date I emigrated (costing $30) to prove my orig entry date into Canada for my pension claim

I need this document in order for the Canada pension to be calculated
I now have a pile of papers 1" thick

Canada Pension refuse to deal with me since I am outside Canada
Nice eh?

So you Canadians who do not yet collect pension ....think on....there are a few hurdles to jump when the time comes

British pension is available to me however if a person leaves UK, pension is frozen....not good......better to get the Canadian one and then you can travel at will

Just my take on it
Welcome back Relocateme, thanks for the info re pensions in Canada. Still haven't changed my licence yet will have to do that next month. There is nothing on my licence that says that I can drive automatic and standard, so are they going to give me a hard time about this?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome back Relocateme, thanks for the info re pensions in Canada. Still haven't changed my licence yet will have to do that next month. There is nothing on my licence that says that I can drive automatic and standard, so are they going to give me a hard time about this?
Hello Ed... things seem real busy your end...
It used to be that if you passed your test driving automatic then thats all the licence would allow you to drive, if you passed driving manual then you could drive both, Id tell them you can drive both Manual and Automatic, I think most people can anyway, Its one of those things that Britain is funny about, be careful.
Im sure others will chime in on this one, things change so lets see what others say, If all fails Im sure this info would be available in the Highway Code, Im guessing those are still available at the post office.
Good Luck as always.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning everyone, good luck Katey not long now............
I dug out my old driving license the other day, still got lots of years left on that.....so thats something I wont have to worry about.
Trotty, so far I have had a letter to say they received my paperwork......got to wait for apt. for fingerprints. Got rid of a load more papers last night, ( my poor departed dogs vet stuff no point keeping it, just kept his adoption papers) it was tough to shred it, read it all and was shocked at how much we paid out over 5 years........gosh what am i going to be like! I have a mountain of papers from one of my daughters who had a learning disability when she was younger, think i will have to burn those way to much to shred....
ED what a time for you.......good job you can still laugh, funny about the chef, Fawlty Towers.......remember the one where John Cleese Beats the car with a branch.....
Fish and Chips sorry but do you have a plan ........time line etc?
relocateme, you happy you made the move despite the pension troubles.

Last edited by charleygirl; Jul 29th 2010 at 11:34 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
It used to be that if you passed your test driving automatic then thats all the licence would allow you to drive, if you passed driving manual then you could drive both, Id tell them you can drive both Manual and Automatic, I think most people can anyway, Its one of those things that Britain is funny about, be careful.
I have to admit, I can see why they are funny about it - whenever I go back and try to drive a manual car, I am a complete disaster. I stall at every roundabout!

We may be going back for a trip to look around soon, and we're terrified that the car rental place will give us a manual car. We'd be absolutely hopeless.

Good luck to everyone who's getting ready to move - how exciting for you!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully for me I can drive both but have not driven manual for years but my brother and his wife both have automatic........ thank god.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I have to admit, I can see why they are funny about it - whenever I go back and try to drive a manual car, I am a complete disaster. I stall at every roundabout!

We may be going back for a trip to look around soon, and we're terrified that the car rental place will give us a manual car. We'd be absolutely hopeless.

Good luck to everyone who's getting ready to move - how exciting for you!
Request a Automatic, it does cost more, I just prefer automatic these days, Usually they are nicer cars like Volvo's S60's and VW Passats but Ive also had small Nissans and Vauxhalls.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl

Fawlty Towers.......remember the one where John Cleese Beats the car with a branch.....
Fish and Chips sorry but do you have a plan ........time line etc?
I remember that episode...

A Timeline for us doesn't exist, but I wanna go back more and more each day and as I see others leave.

I have to sell my parents home first, its been on the market since last October, no offers, my parents both passed away last year. Our home is cluttered with things of my parents that we cant part.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:55 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

All this talk about manual/automatic cars has me worried!

I've been driving an automatic here in America since I was 15 years old - for 41 years now! I've never, EVER driven a manual and I certainly don't want to have to learn how to drive one once I'm in the UK because it will be hard enough for me to learn how to drive on the left!

Tony keeps reminding me that over there, manuals are not only much less expensive but that there are more of them, but I really really really hope we'll be able to afford an automatic and not a manual !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.