Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by DDL
Quick update:

We continue to enjoy England (taking an after-hours evening tour of Tower of London tonight) ... and look for jobs. Tony has an interview tomorrow with Samsung's UK HQ nearby. Fingers crossed.

We have to report to the Job Centre every fortnight. Tony's drawing 63 quid a week which is contributions-based and not income-based. I cannot draw benefits - nor can he draw benefits because he is married - because I am not yet a Permanent Resident, but by law I still have to report with him and show my job-seeking efforts.

Whenever we watch immigration control programmes on the telly, they're always talking about illegal immigrants on benefits and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how they get away with it - it's very annoying!!!!!!

Am happy to report that we were offered a 1-bedroom Sheltered Housing flat, but it was in Somerset. We did ride down to take a look at it, but it was quite remote (in a very small village - only a pub and church, no shops and no public transport) and we didn't think it was located in a good area for employment. We remain on their list and hope something else more suitable will come forward. A property like this, however, for an active person who is already retired with an income and a car, would be excellent.

So - for those of you who are considering Sheltered Housing once you get here, this goes to show that it can be done.

Now excuse me - I have a date with a Yeoman Warder.
Hi Denise

Great update and I do believe anything is possible in the UK

Somerset is soo lovely and gentle, something that is sadly lacking here in Australia for me.

Barb x
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Denise so happy everything is still okay........I am planning to go to Housing on Friday to see what I can figure out about getting on a list......you know saying something like I am planning to move back early next year and see what they say.
Re-established my bank account yesterday, I had 11 pence in it, haha so got my details updated and put in the little cash i had....... its a start, got a horrible exchange rate.....had to give $1.72 for a pound aaaaaaaargh
Still having a brilliant time, so happy, dinner with my sister in derbyshire last night, to the pub with longtime girlfriend tonight.
booked a train to brighton for 5 days to stay with my other sister, 15 pounds one way and 18 to come back ...so 33pounds for return, if I was over 60 it would be a third off.
Find paying 35 pounds for not even a full tank of gas kind of painful.......but it has lasted 2 weeks.

Got my pension forcast and it looks good for me, only need to make up 3 years of contributions and they can be done in 3 installments of about 120 pounds each.
Can retire at 61 years 8 months, although have no plans to do that.
I hope everyone is well and happy........Sausages and mash last night for dinner with bisto gravy........boiled bacon and pots tonight.
Nice bottle of wine 4 quid.
If anyone has any questions just fire away.
Not been mugged, sworn at spat at or run over by the many millions of cars, had a few near misses cos I looked the wrong way....
Weather has taken a turn for better, was supposed to rain this week, but today is gorgeous and monday was short sleeve weather.......
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie, I am finding changing money to be not good, only done it twice but terrible rate.......$1.69 and $1.72 yesterday to the pound.
didnt pay commision though.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Hi everyone! I wanted to give you a great update on the last week over here in the UK. First of all, I went to Maplins and bought the power cord for my PC, and a spare UK plug adaptor - very reasonably priced, easy to find. Then last weekend I took the train to Taunton from Paddington. Paddington was clean, airy, bright, plenty of seating and the arrival/departure boards were constantly updated. Lots of helpful staff around, including a motorised cart such as the airports have for passengers needing extra help. The tickets were not cheap, but then I bought mine at the last moment - apparently if I had gone on line and bought it earlier, I would have gotten a better deal. The train was on time, to the minute, and clean. The toilets on the train were also clean - they are now large, able to accommodate wheelchairs, and all functioned fine. The toilets - at least in the Ladies - at Paddington cost 30p - so no more 'spending a penny'. There are also showers and lockers in the Ladies. There is a quiet Waiting Room near Platform 1, against the wall. All looked fine to me!
The countryside is as beautiful as ever - I was glad that I got the chance to leave the city and venture out a bit. Next week I will go to Kew Gardens, then off to Ipswich to family.
My 'Britishisms' are coming back into my speech and I am not so homesick for Minnesota now, which I am grateful for. All told, this is week two and I am feeling fine - over the culture shock at last.
Great news Islandwoman........ I booked my train ticket 3 weeks in advance and yes got a deal. I agree about the countryside, it is just so wonderful, so very beautiful, I get so excited when i see cows and sheep, my SIL thought i had lost my mind last night when i was screaming Oh look COWS!!!!!!!!!!
beebduya.........such a tough situtation, get back here when you can......I know it is hard with you having grandchildren there though, I want to make the move back before that happens to me.....my children ( although not really children) are 18 and 19........so if I leave it longer they will be getting married then everything changes........Glad you have a job though now......

Last edited by charleygirl; Oct 6th 2010 at 3:54 am.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm afraid I'm not wrong. Wish I was.

Massive spending cuts, privatizing anything that moves, and the threat of national strikes? Sounds like the England I left 21 years ago! Shame I missed the good stuff inbetween

To be fair to the UK govt., the US postal service is having to slash spending too. We've all moved to email and that's really hurt their budgets.

I get so much junk mail, Id like to see theose people get a massive price increase, bulk mail is obviously very cheap, maybe the end result would be less junk mail and we could stop wasting so much paper.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Great news Islandwoman........ I booked my train ticket 3 weeks in advance and yes got a deal. I agree about the countryside, it is just so wonderful, so very beautiful, I get so excited when i see cows and sheep, my SIL thought i had lost my mind last night when i was screaming Oh look COWS!!!!!!!!!!
beebduya.........such a tough situtation, get back here when you can......I know it is hard with you having grandchildren there though, I want to make the move back before that happens to me.....my children ( although not really children) are 18 and 19........so if I leave it longer they will be getting married then everything changes........Glad you have a job though now......
Just found the following on "Martin's Money Tips" which is a great web site for finding just about anything in the UK. I know many people are aware of the site but since so many are now planning train trips there was really good information on this weeks tips on "How to find great deals on trains". Hope it helps someone get a cheaper fare. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-train-tickets
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just popped in for a quick catch up, so happy to see Peigi has got a great job, and Rodney will soon be jetting off, Charleygirl sounds just like me when I was home last year REVELLING in the sensations,sights and sounds, so good to hear all your stories.........good AND bad.......

Anyway here I am back in Australia, still not liking it that much, but ho hum, my kids and grand-kids are here, it will do for now but man when I hit 70 I am a gonner back to the UK......

In the meantime my new job means that I am the unaccompanied baggage "expert" working for the big red kangaroo sooooo if anybody would like rates out of Australia to the UK please PM me, I can't promise anything but I will do my very best for you all.......

Take Care and please know that anytime a customer phones for a quote and tell me they are relocating or emigrating or moving to the UK, my heart splinters a little more.........

Has anybody heard from Anna in Malta? What about Relocateme who was moving from Canada to the UK but stopping over in Australia?? Soo hard to keep up when you have disappeared for a while like me, but please know I think of you all every day.........

AND the health service in Australia is pretty good especially in comparison to the USA from what you guys have been talking about on here, but when you get the to the UK you are going to be SHOCKED at how good people have it over there......
Hey Barb nice to hear from you again,
As you say your life in Australia will have to do for now, but at least you have your Kids & Grand kids, ---- that must be good Barb,
You say that when you hit 70 you are a gonna back to the UK, do you have to wait that long? arent you only 60 now?
Yes I was wondering where Anna in Malta is too, and relocateme, I hope they post soon,
Take care Barb,
Rodney.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Barb In Oz. Its so nice that you try to help others...
"My Heart splinters" I feel for you and I truly believe you will return, you are not forgotten...

DDL Denise, its always nice to read you updates, Somerset is Very Nice, too bad that wasn't for you, Fingers crossed it will work out soon, We've always had those immigrant stories in the UK its nothing new, all I can figure is people must lie to get these benefits, maybe some stories are media exaggeration, who knows? Corruption is alive and well everywhere, don't let it ruin your day.

Charleygirl, love your updates too, but you are making me even more homesick, Fancy mentioning Derbyshire, my roots are from the Matlock area.
Your train prices are decent, I paid £80 return from Chesterfield to Torquay a few years ago, that was last minute on Virgin, Lovely trains.
$1.72 sounds like a rip, that's awful... Huhhhhhhhh Money.
11p in the bank ahhhhhhhhh.
You could always pop into the citizens advice bureau if you get stuck with some legal questions, I'm told they are good.
Glad weather is turning, I know its been rainy.

I too have been wondering about Anna in Malta and relocate me, come on Ladies we miss yer.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Just found the following on "Martin's Money Tips" which is a great web site for finding just about anything in the UK. I know many people are aware of the site but since so many are now planning train trips there was really good information on this weeks tips on "How to find great deals on trains". Hope it helps someone get a cheaper fare. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-train-tickets
Hello Hightide,
Thanks so much for sending everyone that link, great, I have saved it in my documents, Just been checking on trains from Portsmouth to Pembroke Dock south Wales (my Dads birth place) and you can get quite cheap deals on return tickets and If I buy a senior rail card it would be even cheaper, and the Journey takes a little under 7 hours each way,
I would love to take that train ride and spend maybe 4 days in Wales in a B&B
Thanks David? I did remember your name right didn't I?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I get so much junk mail, Id like to see theose people get a massive price increase, bulk mail is obviously very cheap, maybe the end result would be less junk mail and we could stop wasting so much paper.
Hi Fish,
The Subject of Junk mail, well I get a lot of that too,
But what I was wondering was the Subject of computer spam mail, in my Spam folder with my AOL mail account, I just very quickly scroll down and check them to make sure an email from someone I know hasn't ended up in my Spam mail folder and then just delete them all every day, but all my friends and families emails go to my inbox, so nice and easy,

But what I have been wondering for a while is this, and maybe someone already in UK and has established a UK internet provider and an email account, like maybe DDL/Denise or someone else, in UK do they have two separate folders in there mail like an inbox for all the people you know and a separate spam folder for all the Junk mail? like we have in the US,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Hightide,
Thanks so much for sending everyone that link, great, I have saved it in my documents, Just been checking on trains from Portsmouth to Pembroke Dock south Wales (my Dads birth place) and you can get quite cheap deals on return tickets and If I buy a senior rail card it would be even cheaper, and the Journey takes a little under 7 hours each way,
I would love to take that train ride and spend maybe 4 days in Wales in a B&B
Thanks David? I did remember your name right didn't I?
Take care,
Rodney.
Glad it helped Rodney......you really can get some terrific deals. Two years ago we were took a train from Inverness to London and on checking in with our tickets which were bought on line we discovered that they were actually 1st. class tickets. We thought there had been a huge mistake as they were so cheap. Anyway appeared not and we had one fantastic train trip all the way to London. We did have 2 train changes which was fine as we got to run out to Princess Street in Edinburgh, take a few photos and run back. Actually took in turns as we had luggage. Free soft drinks and coffee and tea all the way as well as light snacks. No the RUM wasn't free

The train from Portsmouth to Pembroke Dock sounds great. It really does look like a lovely area. Lot's of nice looking B&B's too.

Not long for you to go now
Cheers, David
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just popped in for a quick catch up, so happy to see Peigi has got a great job, and Rodney will soon be jetting off, Charleygirl sounds just like me when I was home last year REVELLING in the sensations,sights and sounds, so good to hear all your stories.........good AND bad.......

Anyway here I am back in Australia, still not liking it that much, but ho hum, my kids and grand-kids are here, it will do for now but man when I hit 70 I am a gonner back to the UK......

In the meantime my new job means that I am the unaccompanied baggage "expert" working for the big red kangaroo sooooo if anybody would like rates out of Australia to the UK please PM me, I can't promise anything but I will do my very best for you all.......

Take Care and please know that anytime a customer phones for a quote and tell me they are relocating or emigrating or moving to the UK, my heart splinters a little more.........

Has anybody heard from Anna in Malta? What about Relocateme who was moving from Canada to the UK but stopping over in Australia?? Soo hard to keep up when you have disappeared for a while like me, but please know I think of you all every day.........

AND the health service in Australia is pretty good especially in comparison to the USA from what you guys have been talking about on here, but when you get the to the UK you are going to be SHOCKED at how good people have it over there......
Ok, Ok, Ok, I surrender, there is no escape from you guys!!!!! Only kidding, it's good to be missed!

Quick update from Malta:

Job finished at hotel (a little sooner than expected, but I go in and give them hell every so often, make sure they know I still need a job!), Been volunteering for the ESU (English Speaking Union), have interview for a part-time job next week at a bookshop (just around the corner of course!). Fell in and out of love (he - Brit from South Africa) moved to Turkey) good while it lasted all of a month. Been playing tour guide to a Brit/Canadian (Malta on his list of possible retirement places). My son visited from Oregon (via a wedding in Turkey - obviously the 'in" place to be this year), we flew to Venice together, he then went on to Rome, Cairo, back to US, I just got back Monday. Venice = molto bellissima, I could sooooo live in Italy!! Ryanair flies to Pisa from here for 12 euro return in November!!!!! Nah, can't do it, MUST make trip to England to visit my sister and collect cold weather clothes. Malta still 23 Celsius, still sitting outdoors drinking wine, cappuccino till midnight, overlooking the Med, but now have fluffy white clouds in perfect blue sky so I know colder weather is coming! Continue to make friends, do and see lots - plays, music, festivals, always an adventure, still loving life, even if I do hate the dollar dropping and running out of money...........life is for living, make the most of it guys Cheap flights to Rome, could even go for a day!!!! Love ya all, getting too far behind with posts though, please forgive me!..........ciao ciao till next time... Anna
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish,
The Subject of Junk mail, well I get a lot of that too,
But what I was wondering was the Subject of computer spam mail, in my Spam folder with my AOL mail account, I just very quickly scroll down and check them to make sure an email from someone I know hasn't ended up in my Spam mail folder and then just delete them all every day, but all my friends and families emails go to my inbox, so nice and easy,

But what I have been wondering for a while is this, and maybe someone already in UK and has established a UK internet provider and an email account, like maybe DDL/Denise or someone else, in UK do they have two separate folders in there mail like an inbox for all the people you know and a separate spam folder for all the Junk mail? like we have in the US,
Take care,
Rodney.
Hi Rod, I love all your posts, I'm totally fascinated that your suitcases are packed, that's awesome, it puts a smile on my face every time I read it.

I'm not computer whiz by anyones standards, selt taught and I cant answer your question, but it may help you to know you can get AOL in the UK, so everything should be pretty easy for you.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, absolutely!

Also, I don't use AOL but I don't see why you couldn't keep using it from anywhere in the world. I used Google for my email and it's accessible from anywhere.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aes1
Ok, Ok, Ok, I surrender, there is no escape from you guys!!!!! Only kidding, it's good to be missed!

Quick update from Malta:

Job finished at hotel (a little sooner than expected, but I go in and give them hell every so often, make sure they know I still need a job!), Been volunteering for the ESU (English Speaking Union), have interview for a part-time job next week at a bookshop (just around the corner of course!). Fell in and out of love (he - Brit from South Africa) moved to Turkey) good while it lasted all of a month. Been playing tour guide to a Brit/Canadian (Malta on his list of possible retirement places). My son visited from Oregon (via a wedding in Turkey - obviously the 'in" place to be this year), we flew to Venice together, he then went on to Rome, Cairo, back to US, I just got back Monday. Venice = molto bellissima, I could sooooo live in Italy!! Ryanair flies to Pisa from here for 12 euro return in November!!!!! Nah, can't do it, MUST make trip to England to visit my sister and collect cold weather clothes. Malta still 23 Celsius, still sitting outdoors drinking wine, cappuccino till midnight, overlooking the Med, but now have fluffy white clouds in perfect blue sky so I know colder weather is coming! Continue to make friends, do and see lots - plays, music, festivals, always an adventure, still loving life, even if I do hate the dollar dropping and running out of money...........life is for living, make the most of it guys Cheap flights to Rome, could even go for a day!!!! Love ya all, getting too far behind with posts though, please forgive me!..........ciao ciao till next time... Anna
Thanks for that update Anna, Life looks Interesting for you, I just looked at your new hometown on google earth, I can see the pull for you. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.