Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thankfully for me I can drive both but have not driven manual for years but my brother and his wife both have automatic........ thank god.
I have driven more manual than automatic, when I was married the first time, we owned a couple of big trucks and I drove truck long distance all over the states and Canada. Then the last few years we were driving across the ice in Northern Saskatchewan to the uranium mines but that was over 20 years ago
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
All this talk about manual/automatic cars has me worried!

I've been driving an automatic here in America since I was 15 years old - for 41 years now! I've never, EVER driven a manual and I certainly don't want to have to learn how to drive one once I'm in the UK because it will be hard enough for me to learn how to drive on the left!

Tony keeps reminding me that over there, manuals are not only much less expensive but that there are more of them, but I really really really hope we'll be able to afford an automatic and not a manual !
A used car is about £1000 more here not sure about new and it is right about more standard here than automatic.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are a bit more expensive and I do know it was a little difficult to find one they could afford but my SIL ended up with a bright red Jeep!!!!!!

ED truck driver wow........
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Rodney.. all I can say is your friend needs to grow up. The list of people returning home is getting quite long and I find it difficult to keep track of everyone returning home. Just think 4 months and you will be back home I do hope you are well into your clean out phase and got most of that stuff out of your garage sorted out

The town just relvalued our homes, needless to say ours went down by over $100,000 so we shall have to rethink the selling price. Again At least ours is still above the price we paid for it but I do wish house prices in the UK would fall but they seem to be on the up.

For those just starting the process of going home maybe just thinking about it. Dont whatever you do spend money of items you will not be taking back with you even if you are not thinking of returning for a few years its still money down the drain. If you own a house only do upkeep jobs dont put money into big projects as you wont get it back.
If you have children you had better think about the age groups they are in and ask them what they want, if they are little you will have no problems but when they get to teenagers it will not be easy so better get out before they reach that age. I wish with all my heart that I had really made it very plain that I wanted to go home and not just keeping it to myself. Children up to the age of 11 can be moved but once you get over that age it gets tricky. Sitting on that fence did nothing for me just made things worse.
I still think that leaving grown children and Grandchildren behind is fine. My Grandchildren are so absorbed in their lives that coming to visit us is just a pleasant couple of hours and then back to normal. I am not about to sit and just wait for those couple of hours a month. Life today is not centered around the larger family group. I know from what my daughter in law says it who can babysit and who is there in an emergency. Her Mother and Dad just bought a home in Florida so they can get away from it all so I think that tells you alot.
Hi trottytrue,
Well I still have a lot of stuff to sort out, havent tackled the garage yet but I will soon, I have sold my sofa bed and matching love seat, I bought it new 12 years ago for $800 and sold it for $200, both like new condition, also sold my 52 inch FLAT SCREEN hd TV 6 years old for $200 to the same people, its a nice young couple from work who are just starting out there lives together, they are picking it all up next week, I feel really good that its going to a nice deserving couple, there only in there early 20,s,
When they come around next week I said they may as well look at the rest of the furniture Items I have ---- all bought used from charity shops 12 years ago, I said that if they want the rest I will only charge them another $100, so then they will have there whole apartment furnished for $500 and a nice TV to boot, and I will have everything cleared out
Sorry my friend Arthur but you lost out on the free TV

Well take care trottytrue and everyone,
Rodney.

Yesterday I took my car into carmax for a written offer, and they will buy it for $2,500 Its a HYUNDAI ACCENT 2004, only 41,000 miles and like new condition, I could get another thousand for it if I sold it privately but its hard to find people with that kind of cash these days, so we will see when the time comes, I will probably sell it to carmax a couple of weeks before I leave,
nice & easy that way, they just give you a check and I just put it in the bank,
drop the plates off to DMV --- and Bobs your uncle,
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes they are a bit more expensive and I do know it was a little difficult to find one they could afford but my SIL ended up with a bright red Jeep!!!!!!

ED truck driver wow........
Nice
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

I've been driving an automatic here in America since I was 15 years old - for 41 years now! I've never, EVER driven a manual and I certainly don't want to have to learn how to drive one once I'm in the UK because it will be hard enough for me to learn how to drive on the left!

Tony keeps reminding me that over there, manuals are not only much less expensive but that there are more of them, but I really really really hope we'll be able to afford an automatic and not a manual !
DDL - I am going to miss your postings once you are on the ocean! It has been a pleasure reading your insights into so many different areas of the postings. I am heading back in late August, initially to London to friends then ? I have been the lucky recipient of many suggestions to my posting on Inexpensive Living on this site, and am following up on many of them, inlcuding yours. Thanks once again, and safe voyage. Rosie
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems so many are making the move in the next few months.

Katey70.. Goodluck on your move please keep in touch and let us know how things work our for you.

DDL.. I wish you all the best, just remember once your gone family tend to make other arrangements and your spot will be filled. I know its a cruel thing to say but it is the truth. You are doing whats best for you and thats good you only have one life. By the way I hope I am as organized as you are when the time comes for my move.

Charleygirl..Have you received your re-evaluation yet?

Wonder how Easterndawn and Aces1 are doing suppose they are both very busy. Just sending good thoughts your way if you look in and dont have time to post.

Rodney do you have an idea of those who moved back within the past year. I wish we could keep their names somewhere it would be handy and maybe have a map of the UK with pins where people went to live. So far we have people in Ireland, Scotland, Malta and I think someone is down in Dorset.
Hi trottytrue,
Well I kept a partial list of people who have moved back already,

(high speed grandma) who is in Hong kong for 6 months then on to UK,
---- and (salopian) they left July 15th, --- and (Lazy) went back to manchester on June 10th, ---- and (relocateme) returned from Canada to UK on April 5th, --- and of course (DDL Denise) her & UK hubby leaving on July 8 on the QE2 LUCKY THINGS and Magistrate has been home since September 2009, ---- and of course our Ed has been back in Scotland from Canada since September 25th 2009 ---- (and Barb Beedubya) left UK after one year and moved back to Australia on April 1st 2010 family reasons,
And of course Anna who left US for Malta on April 22nd 2010, she is from the North of England and she may eventually move back to UK, --- and (Katy70) leaving real soon, good luck to her,
Those are the only people that I have written down, but I know there are many more,
Has anyone heard how mr & mrs Pastry are doing? havent heard from them in a while,
OK take care trotty,
Rodney.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thankfully for me I can drive both but have not driven manual for years but my brother and his wife both have automatic........ thank god.
Well I passed my driving test in London when I was living there for a year when I was 16 or was it 17 or 18 cant remember what the earlyiest age you could get your UK licence way back then in the early 60,s but I passed first time driving a manual stick shift, had to pass another test in US when I arrived here,
I like you can drive both automatic and stick shift but have not driven a stick shift for over 30 years, not quite looking forward to driving my Mums car which is a stick shift when I go back to UK, (thats if of course she even lets me drive her car)
Rodney.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Dont worry Denise, there are far more automatic choices than there used to be, Automatics used to be only in expensive cars, now they are in all ranges, Yes they cost a bit more but I think its well worth it, I used to always buy manual but today Id buy automatic without a doubt.

You should do a search, Google used cars in UK and take a look at whats available, Id go for something smaller if that works for you, easier to park in tight spaces, cheaper to run, petrol/diesel, insurance and hopefully taxes too.
Id look for service history when you buy, that shows its been taken care of, Many used UK cars come with warranties.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Trottytrue,
correction,

Oh I made a mistake on DDL Denise & Hubby I said that they are returning from US to UK on July 8th but I meant August 8th,
Rodney.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Denise I had a big clear out over the past week and when my sons came I had a box full of some of their stuff, things my Mother had sent them over the years and books and stuffed animals, they turned their noses up at the lot and the only interest was in items they thought they could sell on ebay. So keeping all the sentimental stuff is a waste of time and space. On saying that I do have all the cards sent to me when I had my children and birthday cards sent to them. I have decided to decoupage some boxes with the cards and I am in the middle of making myself scrapbooks of all the the school stuff and sentimental items I just cannot throw away.
I took a hardbacked binder and put all the letter I have recieved over the 30years I have been away. They are so interesting to read. Many of those writing the letter have died so its a way of being able to keep a piece of them with me.
What a great idea doing a scrapbook, I wish I had done that, when I get my own place again and unpack, thats what I will do, (though I am not as organised as you) I wish I had kept a couple of letters that my mother had sent me it would be lovely to read back on them. Hope you hear about the house soon, the market over here is just awful and they are saying the houses are going to go down more though great for anyone coming back, good luck with the clearing out Densie
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, we're very excited but the likes of taking a ferry to the Isle of Wight sounds heavenly to me for I'd love to go there someday. You never know Rodney, once Tony and I get settled in to the UK we might just have to get in touch if we're ever down that way. You are going to be amazed at how fast the next 4 months are going to be for you! You must be getting a bit excited about it yourself.

I think it will definitely help that I've lived in England before even though it was only for 18 months but we've also now been together for 7 years so I think that will help as well. During those initial 18 months when I first met Tony and lived with him in London, I was just coming off a divorce after a 25-year marriage, so it was a bit of a rocky road for us some of that time. Now that we both are settled in, it should be much better this time around.

I think we've taken care of everything at this point.
  • We've received and scanned in all of our medical records and important documents (hand-carrying paper copies of only the most important of the important) onto our laptops and also onto a portable hard-drive that we're carrying with us
  • Utility companies have been given their cut-off dates
  • Copies of important papers have been given to a friend and also a set to my daughter
  • We're leaving a signed General Power of Attorney behind with my best friend in case, for whatever reason, it would need to be recorded/activated. (She and I are both Legal Secretaries - it's nice to be able to draw up our own legal papers when we need them!)
  • Prescription medicines have been topped-up and will be hand-carried with us on the plane
  • Address changes have been made on magazine subscriptions (I'm having them sent to my girlfriend so she can enjoy the remainder of my subscriptions)
And the most important thing ....
  • Prescription for Transderm (seasickness patch ) filled and ready and waiting for my husband!!!
Everything's been sold (cars, furniture, etc.) - except the house.

We gave it our best shot, but nothing's happened and we are not going to put our lives on hold just for a mortgage company in Jacksonville, Florida so we signed a Listing Withdrawal today with our realtor and we're walking away from it. As Judge Judy would say, "Put a period behind it and move on!!" It's not a decision that we came by lightly; it just is what it is.

My son and his wife will be here this week-end so I'm taking them, my daughter and her husband and their kids all out for a good-bye meal. There will be 10 of us. I'm looking forward to all of us being together; it's the "good-bye" part that's going to be tough. But I knew this day would come.

We also decided that we didn't want any drama on the day that we leave so we've rented a car so that we can drive ourselves to the airport.

Phew!!!
Denise what a lovely post, you seen to have got yourselves really together and organised, I hope you have a great time on the trip of a lifetime, I was so sorry to hear about the house, this recession just does not seem to be getting any better, and they keep saying it is coming to an end, well I don't see it. I get so frustrated at the banks for getting so many people into trouble and taking no responsiblity for the thousands losing their homes, yet they still get their big bonus's Anyway you are right and life is too short, GW when you get back to the UK things will fall into place for you. I would love to see the Isle of wight as well and see Osborne house. It will be heart wrenching for you when the time comes, but you did the right thing going to the airport alone, I really hope all goes well, keep us informed about your trip, hopefully they will have internet on there and you will be able to let us share your journey with you all the best
Denise
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi Trottytrue, how right you are, I have loved getting back to see my kids and grandkids, and they have been just fantastic, and also their husbands for putting up with us, but I do feel in the way, although they say not I know they need their space. Things are taking longer than I thought and I just would love my own place, to be honest, for us it would be cheaper to rent in somewhere like spain, as we can get a furnished apartment for under €500 including everything, and of course petrol, food ect: is a lot cheaper than here in N. Ireland, to replenish our very low bank account. The houses here in N. ireland are at an all time low, so selling is not an option, and the UK, I honestly don't know I know London and places on the south coast are still expensive, but the banks are still not lending, so I can't see the properties rising anywhere any time soon. I am so sorry about your house, it is soul destroying, thank goodness you are still ahead of what you paid for it, unfortunately that is not the case with one of mine, and they are still falling, thank god they are rented out, and giving us an income, Kids do lead their own lives, and as you say they love to see you for a while and its back to their own lives (suppose we were the same) so I have told my husband we need to get involved with a community now, should it be Ireland or Spain, i want to meet people of my own age, with similar interests, be able to invite them to have dinner, play cards, bbq, walks, restaurants just socialise, and of course see our families when they can visit. I feel it is important for them to see us independent, and not depending on them too much, I feel mine would be really happy if they saw us have a good social life. Good luck with the house will keep my fingers crossed for you
Denise
Hi Denise are you still in southern Ireland or are you back up north. We are still in Glengarriff staying with our son and his family. We would love to catch up if you are still around.

Chris
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome back Relocateme, thanks for the info re pensions in Canada. Still haven't changed my licence yet will have to do that next month. There is nothing on my licence that says that I can drive automatic and standard, so are they going to give me a hard time about this?
Hi
ED: Yep, this is what Swansea Drivers Bureau concerned themselves with for a couple of months...the fact that my Canadian drivers licence did not show in what type of vehicle I took my test in 1976 (automatic or standard transmission) therefore they could not decide whether to give me a standard licence or an automatic one
I left for Oz with no licence and did not drive for the ten weeks I was there since I only had a receipt for the 20GBP I paid for the lience exchange service

There was nothing on my Manitoba licence indicating the requested info, only my test year in 1976
I indicated that I had been licenced in UK originally 1966 giving the address of my home and stating there were really very few automatics on the road in those days..and they could check that info.

It may be that where you are located and the DVLA you go to will not bother with this .....sometimes its the luck of the draw

Charleygirl:..I have mixed feelings about my return to UK...sometimes I feel Ok and other times I dont.

I had a reunion last night with family of my age and younger. We went out for a curry. I have 47 cousins, not all of them came. They are all leaving UK or proposing to leave or looking for an opportunity to go.

A couple of them are waiting for retire, collect pension and go to retire in Europe, one couple has filed for divorce, one couple still have the gloves on, 4 sets have apps in for Oz and waiting to hear, one couple leaving for Oz tomorrow, one going round the world on Sunday and one gone to Spain. the oldies are fixtures except for two returning to UK from Oz to kids that are soon to split
This is my family so its hard to say to ppl on this thread that I am happy with the scenario
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

jasper, we can add denise2 and J and J to your list of recent returners......
relocateme, aw shame about the families leaving or going seperate ways...... I have a really small family and all in the UK, except 2 cousins in Ireland, everyone else in jolly old England and none with plans to move. yes that must be hard for you......but going out for a curry brought back so many memories, I am from Leicester.... Curry capital of the UK, well not really but if you live there it seems like it.

I only have a 7 and half weeks til I go home for my 8 week visit........cant wait.
cant really post too much about my situation here but I will be looking at the poss. of returning permanently, I think 8 weeks will give me a good idea dont you all agree?

denise 1 thank you for that list I am going to print it out for me as a guide too.
And Denise 1 good luck with the meal this weekend... aw will be thinking of you.
Oh got one more bag and a box for goodwill today........

Last edited by charleygirl; Jul 31st 2010 at 1:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.