Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

HighSpeedGrandma....Enjoy yourself and like Aces1 keep us informed I am sure Hong Kong will be totally different to Malta so it will be interesting to read your post. That should keep you busy.

Welcome Canadian Brit.... I dont envy you having to catch up on all the posts but it will make interesting reading.

The posts on Banks was very good I shall have to print that page for when we return.

To all you sitting on the fence wondering whether you should or should not move back. Today I got a phone call telling me that my sister in law had died, she was just 67 and my brother is in a really bad way. So that makes in a few short years5 to be exact, my Mother, brother, 2 best friends, my sister in law and shortly my other brother. I sat on that fence and dithered for way too long. I blamed others for my inability to make a decision and to follow through. So instead of visiting living people I will be visiting graves.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:42 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thinking of you, High Speed Grandma. All the best and safe journey!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
HighSpeedGrandma....Enjoy yourself and like Aces1 keep us informed I am sure Hong Kong will be totally different to Malta so it will be interesting to read your post. That should keep you busy.

Welcome Canadian Brit.... I dont envy you having to catch up on all the posts but it will make interesting reading.

The posts on Banks was very good I shall have to print that page for when we return.

To all you sitting on the fence wondering whether you should or should not move back. Today I got a phone call telling me that my sister in law had died, she was just 67 and my brother is in a really bad way. So that makes in a few short years5 to be exact, my Mother, brother, 2 best friends, my sister in law and shortly my other brother. I sat on that fence and dithered for way too long. I blamed others for my inability to make a decision and to follow through. So instead of visiting living people I will be visiting graves.
I am so sorry to hear this TT, my thoughts are with you today.

Take Care
Barb
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian_Brit
Hi, thanks for the welcome!
Yes I did realise that ED was Easterndawn, but I am only up to the part where she got the job at the holiday camp... wow it's like reading a really good novel!!!
You all seem like a really great bunch of people!
I'm wondering too how the gentleman who is moving back to be with his 90 year old mother is doing but don't tell me (this is reminding me of how we are behind with Coronation St. here in Canada and people keep telling me what is going to happen.... spoiler... LOL!!)
Carole.
Hi Carole and welcome, prepare yourself for a BIG BIG read LOL!!! Ah yes ED at the holiday camp............and now.......nope I won't spoil it for you LOL!!

Highspeed Grandma - all the very best to you and please DO keep us updated with your Hong Kong stories, this thread truly is the best!!! We have our own little travel writers with new tales every few days.

Well I think I am on the home stretch on the job front, I have had a few more interviews and am now in the running for 4 jobs, I have a 2nd interview on Tuesday for the job I really want. So hopefully I will have some good news to share this week, then I can get a flat, get my stuff out of storage and get my life back on track, living here in Australia where I am supposed to be.

Barb
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Oh, so sorry to hear of your loss TT, how sad. And again a reminder to us all that life is so unpredictable and can slip you by........
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Carole and welcome, prepare yourself for a BIG BIG read LOL!!! Ah yes ED at the holiday camp............and now.......nope I won't spoil it for you LOL!!

Highspeed Grandma - all the very best to you and please DO keep us updated with your Hong Kong stories, this thread truly is the best!!! We have our own little travel writers with new tales every few days.

Well I think I am on the home stretch on the job front, I have had a few more interviews and am now in the running for 4 jobs, I have a 2nd interview on Tuesday for the job I really want. So hopefully I will have some good news to share this week, then I can get a flat, get my stuff out of storage and get my life back on track, living here in Australia where I am supposed to be.

Barb
:f ingerscrossed:
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts are with you and your family, and your thoughts are very much correct, as just before I came here my only living aunt passed away and I feel sad I did not get to meet her again.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Barb
Crossing my fingers for you for the job, you sound much more positive about where your going and where you are now
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good luck grandma, may your dreams come true, may you find peace for your heart and soul
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Welcome to all the new people on the thread and there seems to some everyday. You will find friendship, kinship, excellent advice, a place to rant and rave, a place to laugh and finally a place to feel that you are not the only one in the world who feels the way you do about your adopted land.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Jun 12th 2010 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

My friend came last night for supper at the hotel with me last night and I was not quite sure what to expect in regards to the meal. The hotel used to be five star and unfortunately in the past years has been severly neglected, but hopefully this will change.

What a wonderful surprise I had, the food I would have to say was probable the best restuarant meal I have had since I arrived. We had three choices of starter, four for main course, and three for desert. The portions were wonderful, and the food well cooked and very tasty all for the cost of £10.00 per person. I think that the restuarant is a hidden jem. So if anyone of you is coming to Ayr let me know and I will get you a reservation lol.

Had a nice visit with my friend and we made plans to take a day trip to Arran as I have never been there, seems like I have so many places to visit, so therefor the need for a car, oh well, its on my wish list.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hello everyone.
I am packed and (almost) ready to leave for Hong Kong tomorrow, early morning. I have a giant case of the collywobbles. I can't believe I am unemployed and have no money. What little I did have saved I had to spend on getting my car through it's vehicle inspection. That is going to stay in the U.S.A while I am away so I have one if I return. If not we will sell it later on down the road.

Off to the daughters with one suitcase and a laptop. I hope she doesn't make me work too hard for my keep. Other daughter said she is looking forward to me being in England in mid December.

Hubby is going to be alone for the next few months. So, I have no idea whether we will be still married at the end of all this, but at the moment neither of us want to end it, even if it is going to be a very long, long distance relationship.

It's a good job we are more interested in going to bed with a good book than anything else these days!
Bon voyage!!!!! Have a wonderful flight, reunion, and beginning of a great adventure!!!! Please post and tell us how things are going - in fact can you take over from me and let's have Hong Kong updates, instead of Malta updates? I am getting tired!!! I am finding my days getting somehow busier and busier, or is it more laid back and laid back I am not getting to the computer as often, too much living life.

I was thinking yesterday of my decision to move to Malta all on my own, first time here, no direct knowledge/experience of the country, no one here that knew me, no friends/family, no job, little money, etc. I admit there are times when I think it would be wonderful to have come with a partner/companion, someone to share things with, or to have my children with me. But I must say, being here alone is also very freeing in many ways. I am responsible for no one but myself. I answer to nobody. I can come and go when and where I choose to. I can relax when I want, be busy when I want, all my decisions are totally my own, with no one else to consider. I can change my mind as often as I want!! If I don't like something, I can walk away. If I want to do or see something for one minute or all day, I can. The world really is my proverbial oyster here. I really am as free as a bird and the sky is really my limit.

This sense of freedom is coming more and more to me lately. Friday I went to see a German film by myself. Had it been too depressing or boring, I could have walked out, nobody else to consider. But it was actually pretty good so I stayed. Then I met my new Maltese friend in Valletta to 'shoot the breeze' for a few hours. I drank a cappuccino, later a lager, and, at 11:30 at night, I ate the most delicious, light crusted, freshly baked Italian pizza I had ever eaten! Under the stars, at an outdoor cafe, in view of St John's co Cathedral (the most impressive old church here in Malta), the air still, warm and calm, a perfect summer's evening....... What more could I have asked for in my life ?

So for all of you scared, concerned, anxious about giving up support/security of friends and family or familiar surroundings in order to go back to your 'home' yet estranged country, please don't worry!! This feeling of liberation, of being able to start completely fresh, is truly worth experiencing. Sometimes it does us a world of good to be out on the open sea without an anchor, drifting with the wind.....

If you don't hear from me for a while, please forgive me. I love you all, you are my 'adopted online family', and I am thinking of you and will keep reading the little 'soap opera' we have going here. But I am going to take a break from posting, unless something major should happen (like my getting a job), and continue to live my life with reckless abandon!!

I wish for everyone that your dreams come true
Anna, for now in Malta!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hello everyone.
I am packed and (almost) ready to leave for Hong Kong tomorrow, early morning. I have a giant case of the collywobbles. I can't believe I am unemployed and have no money. What little I did have saved I had to spend on getting my car through it's vehicle inspection. That is going to stay in the U.S.A while I am away so I have one if I return. If not we will sell it later on down the road.

Off to the daughters with one suitcase and a laptop. I hope she doesn't make me work too hard for my keep. Other daughter said she is looking forward to me being in England in mid December.

Hubby is going to be alone for the next few months. So, I have no idea whether we will be still married at the end of all this, but at the moment neither of us want to end it, even if it is going to be a very long, long distance relationship.

It's a good job we are more interested in going to bed with a good book than anything else these days!
Good Luck to you, I think you will enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Trottytrue
How very sad to hear about your loss and your Brothers condition, You seem really upset about some of your previous decesions, as tough as it is you cant blame yourself for everything, we are all vitims of circumstances to some degree, circumstances that change our lives, Yes we have regrets too, but we cant worry about those, just try and correct them...

I echo your thoughts to anyone sitting on the fence, People on the fence probably know that they want to do but feel stuck... Make a decesion and go ewth it
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Trottytrue

I echo your thoughts to anyone sitting on the fence, People on the fence probably know that they want to do but feel stuck... Make a decesion and go ewth it
Or if you can't do that, because it's not only your decision to make, then just get on with the life you have and find ways to get what you need out of life.

I say this to myself as much as everyone else - I want to go home mainly because of friends and family. But I don't stay in touch with them as much as I could while I'm here! That's nuts and I've been working on fixing it and getting back into their lives more, even if it's only by email/Skype. I'm also planning that if my husband''s ultimate decision is against moving home, then I will take several trips back every year from now on. Just because I can't live there doesn't mean I can't spend more time there. We'll just have to find away financially - that will be his side of the compromise.

As the Rolling Stones once wisely sang ' you can't always get what you want But if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.