Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

denise 1 or 2 which ever you are , that is a small world, I will be there in Sept. cant wait!
Good luck with everything.
So are you from Ireland originally. and yes home is where the heart is...
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:44 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

To the discussion of how people deal with money when moving US to UK, here's what we are doing.

1. Keeping our US bank checking account open. This gives us
a. access to cash through UK ATM
b. ability to mail $$ checks to anyone in US that needs a payment
c. Somewhere to electronicaly deposit funds that we eventually receive when we withdraw from Retirement Funds
d. a US account for payment to/ from IRS come next tax filing
e. A MoneyMarket A/C also that we can use to get a bit of interest on any large amount that may rest a while at the US bank, managed by online banking access.
f. The account set up for XE.com to debit $$ from for transfer on our instructions.

2. An account with XE.com for currency exchange. Setting up an account was relatively easy but did take about 10 days and some identification /verification paperwork to & fro - glad we did it while still in US. Not impossible from the UK but easier that we could walk into our US bank to get verification that we own our accounts when setting up electronic transfer access.

3. A UK offshore bank in GBP, that provides ATM card. This account will transfer to a High Street branch when we get back and our record will support Credit Card issue. This account is our destination account for XE.com

Not a lot of money is needed in the US and US accounts, just enough to hold them open. e.g. we are down to our last couple million hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha we wish.

4. Keeping our ex-employers 401k accounts in US (employer allows this) until appropriate time to move out and transfer $$ to UK

5. Closed our small US Mutual Fund savings to avoid unfavorable UK tax situation.

Hope this is food for thought for someone.

When we get to UK we will update how this is working for us.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:01 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Calle... Could you update yourself, you are another successful ex-pat moving home. Lucky you.....
You could either put it at the bottom of your posting like some do or on the side under your name.
Sure TT. i think I have done it. We'll see what happens when I post this.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:24 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.
I am packed and (almost) ready to leave for Hong Kong tomorrow, early morning. I have a giant case of the collywobbles. I can't believe I am unemployed and have no money. What little I did have saved I had to spend on getting my car through it's vehicle inspection. That is going to stay in the U.S.A while I am away so I have one if I return. If not we will sell it later on down the road.

Off to the daughters with one suitcase and a laptop. I hope she doesn't make me work too hard for my keep. Other daughter said she is looking forward to me being in England in mid December.

Hubby is going to be alone for the next few months. So, I have no idea whether we will be still married at the end of all this, but at the moment neither of us want to end it, even if it is going to be a very long, long distance relationship.

It's a good job we are more interested in going to bed with a good book than anything else these days!

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Jun 12th 2010 at 6:40 am.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hello everyone.
I am packed and (almost) ready to leave for Hong Kong tomorrow, early morning. I have a giant case of the collywobbles. I can't believe I am unemployed and have no money. What little I did have saved I had to spend on getting my car through it's vehicle inspection. That is going to stay in the U.S.A while I am away so I have one if I return. If not we will sell it later on down the road.

Off to the daughters with one suitcase and a laptop. I hope she doesn't make me work to hard for my keep. Other daughter said she is looking forward to me being in England in mid December.

Hubby is going to be alone for the next few months. So, I have no idea whether we will be still married at the end of all this, but at the moment neither of us want to end it, even if it is going to be a very long, long distance relationship.

It's a good job we are more interested in going to bed with a good book than anything else these days!

HSG - good luck, we will all be thinking of you

Please post on your adventure (good or bad). You will have a great adventure
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Hello everyone.

Off to the daughters with one suitcase and a laptop. I hope she doesn't make me work too hard for my keep. Other daughter said she is looking forward to me being in England in mid December.

Dear Grandma...will be thinking of you in HKG, spent a lot of time there myself, having worked for Cathay Pacific. I envy you your adventure! I really do wish you well, your relationship will survive the distance and be all the stronger for it. Dont forget to post once you arrive and settle. Safe flight and all the best.

Wawa, 54, Toronto for now, but born a Geordie.....
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

have a lovely trip and enjoy yourself, GW everything else will take care of itself for your return to England Keep us informed of your adventure, would love to hear how you are getting onDenise 1
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lestagirl
denise 1 or 2 which ever you are , that is a small world, I will be there in Sept. cant wait!
Good luck with everything.
So are you from Ireland originally. and yes home is where the heart is...
Yes Lestagirl, we are originally from Belfast, although we ahve lived in Australia, Canada, england, Dublin, so am a bit of a mixture. My daughter lives in Cork now and wants us to try there and see if we like it. I do love Cork but it is very expensive. My nephew is watching the world cup with all his english mates, and is giving them a real hard time, as it was a draw, they have great craic together, is'nt it great to see Have a lovely time iwhen you go home in September, I don't know how we will differenciate betweem the 3 of us, my logo is djamison, speak to you soon
Denise
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck High speed grandma, just one more sleep!!!!!!!
have a very safe trip and thanks for help with NI contribution advice etc.
Keep in touch........and what will be will be.

Denise 1, thanks for the update on where you are from etc, and lets all keep each other company here. I will need lots of support soon.........I am leaving my family behind for two months then the rest we will have to see...I need to spend some quality time with my 88 year old mum. My twins graduated high school yesterday yipppeeeeeeeeee.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lestagirl
Good luck High speed grandma, just one more sleep!!!!!!!
have a very safe trip and thanks for help with NI contribution advice etc.
Keep in touch........and what will be will be.

Denise 1, thanks for the update on where you are from etc, and lets all keep each other company here. I will need lots of support soon.........I am leaving my family behind for two months then the rest we will have to see...I need to spend some quality time with my 88 year old mum. My twins graduated high school yesterday yipppeeeeeeeeee.
My thoughts will be with you, as being tied between the two is awfull, and it will be nice to spend some good time with your mum, I'm glad I did with mine, great that your twins graduated and I hope they had a grand old time celebrating. If I can help in anyway please just let me know, I'm not great but when I get home if there is something I don't know I will try and find out for you. cheers and good luck Denise 1
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
What kind of advice is that to give
Cookie,
You say what kind of advice is that to give,
Well I did not think that I would have to explain my comment but here goes just for you,
The property that she has in (US) I assumed is on a mortgage and that the rent that she is getting for her house is just going to pay the mortgage, therefore I assume that she is making (NO) profit from the rent that she is getting from her tenants,
So when she applies for benefits that she is entitled to in the UK then unless she is asked then she would not have to mention anything about owning property in US,
She would not be dishonest in doing this at all, of course if she is asked if she has any property in the US then of course she would have to declare it,
But to just openly offer the information about her property in US just complicates her whole claim for benefits over there and may open up a whole new can of worms,
People just need to keep everything nice and simple, ---- and it makes the benefits office in UK's Job nice and simple too,
Rodney.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Have a nice trip Grandma and enjoy yourself in Hong Kong with your Daughter,
Will be thinking of you ---- and as others have said please dont forget to post us on all your adventures,
And yes I hope too that your Daughter does not make you work too hard for your keep ha ha ha
Rodney.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Canadian_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
This thread was started on September 6th 2009 by Trottytrue for people who are in their 50's and 60's to help one another out with what will probably be their last move. We are here to support one another, exchange ideas, advise, help each other in any way we can. To talk, to joke, to laugh, to congratulate or commiserate with one another.
Just quickly wanted to introduce myself as I have been reading this thread now for the last three days and still only up to February!

Have been in Canada since 1972 and have recently been worrying about what I am going to do with my "golden years", would I stay here alone or go back where I started, and would it even be possible on what little money I would have with my OAP and CPP? I am 61 years old, have a sister in Manchester, two sons here in Canada who are getting on with their own lives, and my husband who isn't in the best of health I'm afraid. I only worked in the UK for 6 years before I emigrated so probably no pension there.

Easterndawn, you are a true inspiration as well as so many others of you, and I now know what I will do when the time comes. There is so much information here, and encouraging stories.

So thank you all, now back to my reading, I think I am still only half way through and wondering what ED is doing now? Good luck to everybody and keep up the good work.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Welcome! ED is actually EasternDawn and as you just saw she is here and doing okay now.
Good luck with the reading, yes so much to catch up on, several of us here wanting to go home.
Some just planning some leaving really soon too.
good luck to you and if you have questions there are some very knowledgable folks here.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Canadian_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for the welcome!
Yes I did realise that ED was Easterndawn, but I am only up to the part where she got the job at the holiday camp... wow it's like reading a really good novel!!!
You all seem like a really great bunch of people!
I'm wondering too how the gentleman who is moving back to be with his 90 year old mother is doing but don't tell me (this is reminding me of how we are behind with Coronation St. here in Canada and people keep telling me what is going to happen.... spoiler... LOL!!)
Carole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.