Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
We took our car for it's NCT here in Ireland yesterday (it's the same as an MOT in UK) IT PASSED we are so excited. We rang yesterday to see if they had any cancellation and they did for 9-05pm yesterday at the centre up in Cork not the local centre. We had to drive 1 1/2 hours each way but it was well worth it. They have a back log so our appointment wasn't until August, they said to ring every few days for an earlier appointment so thats what we have been doing. We brought the car over to Ireland when we went over to USA. It's an older car a Toyota Estima Lucida, it's an 8 seater so we can fit the whole family in when they visit, it turns into a bed and we have an awning so we can also use it when we go camping. It is in really good condition for it's year 1994. My husband loves it so we didn't want to part with it. All we had to do was put 4 new tyres and new rear brake shoes which my husband fitted and it passed first time. Not bad when it had stood for so long just being turned over now and then. We can't wait to go camping now. The only down side is the car tax for such a large vehicle here in Ireland is very expensive. We were ok with the insurance because i still have full no claims. We did have to shop around though, the first quote we got was almost 700 euros for third party fire and theft. We ended up paying 336 pounds fully comp.
Anyone looking for car insurance just make sure you really shop around even if you don't have any no claims bonus. Dont be worried about looking on comparison websites you can ring the company for more detailed information. I totally trust the Martin Lewis website. He is always trying to help the ordinary person from being ripped off. It has information about lots of things. Here is the website again.

www.moneysavingexpert.com

I hope everyones plans are going well and you are getting nearer to your dreams.

Chris
Wow Chris, Im a big fan of the Toyota Lucida vans myself, it sure would be nice to have when in my family comes over for a visit, they are very comfortble, the tax may be high but its well worth it in the long run...

£336 sound very fair for insurance I pay much more than hat for my 91 4 runner...

Thanks again for the martin lewis link, that looks like a way to save real money, and terrific advice...

Enjoy the week...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
My dream is to buy a volkswagon camper van and just travel around for a summer, maybe some day. I envy you, have fun.
Did you know you can rent the old style campers, there are a few companies that rent and sell the old style VW campers, many of them are fairly new as VW in Brazil still makes them.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Well friends, it's finished: We turned in our notices here at work this morning!!!!!! Our last day will be 06 Aug. Now there's no more "secrets" and we can fully bask in the excitement about our move back to England.

The news was taken well by our respective supervisors, although both seemed genuinely sad to see us go.

My job is menial, but my husband is the web developer so his absence is going to cause a major disruption. But, as we all know, nobody is indispensable - they will survive.

30 days from today we set sail on the QM2.

Our US health insurance coverage will not expire until 01 September, which means that we will be covered during the 6 days we are on the ship, which is nice to know. Once we set foot upon UK soil, of course, NHS takes over.

Tonight begins a 3-week-end rotation of each of my grandsons spending the night with Neecie (that's what they call me). So tonight, it's supper at Josh's favorite place (McDonald's) followed by a trip to Wal-Mart. He wants some new puzzles, and Neecie will be more than happy to oblige.
Denise.
I'm really so thrilled for you, you are very close to leaving, yes its scarey but what an adventure, you know what you want and are willing to go for it, I think its brilliant, and going on the QE2 has to be the bonus, what a classy way to travel versus the hassles of air travel of today, I wish you well...

Get yourself an automitic car and go for it, they are not plentiful like in the USA but still you can find them, thats my intentions too.

I wish you well... Enjoy the Journey...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Would you all keep your fingers crossed we are having a showing this afternoon at 4.00 Lets hope this is the start of something good.
I have and everything else crossed for you i hope it all goes well

Chris
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Oh wow, your trip sounds so nice. I have only been to North Wales - it was beautiful. Sooo want to visit Yorkshire and York someday, especially have an Afternoon Tea at Betty's Cafe!

You know, I'm not sure about the baggage. I do know that they said "whatever will fit in your cabin" but I don't know if there are limitations on the type of "container" it has to be. You could give them a quick bell and I bet they could answer your query.

Hey, thanks everyone for the well wishes! I just hope that heat wave in London clears out before August 14!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denise.
I cant believe you mentioned Bettys, I went there a few years ago, My wife and in laws loved it, I'm sure you wont be dissapointed, York and Yorkshire are wonderful...
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wawa
Hi Charleygirl & Ed, I am also in that age category (54) and have nightmares that I might be too old to get a good job and they want to put me out to pasture! I, too, am in the hotel industry, albeit the corporate office of a large international chain. I do love it and hope to find something similar when I go. I left UK at the age of 7 (my folks followed the sun to South Africa) and even though I have been back for holidays, its going to be a brand new experience for us. Am dragging my Canadian hubby along, who is quite happy to have a change of scenery. Hopefully we wont suffer much and we manage to get some decent work between us.

ED, your hotel sounds out of this world! Seems to be in a lovely area, and you sound so much happier now. Time is flying by, it wont be long until you have done your 6 months.

TT, keeping everything crossed too...Good luck for 4pm

Going to settle down with a glass of wine to watch the footie.
To bad you could not get a transfer to a hotel in the chain in the UK
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Would you all keep your fingers crossed we are having a showing this afternoon at 4.00 Lets hope this is the start of something good.
Hope it all went well.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Did you know you can rent the old style campers, there are a few companies that rent and sell the old style VW campers, many of them are fairly new as VW in Brazil still makes them.
Fish thats very interesting that the old style VW campers are still being made in Brazil, I had no Idea, I never owned one but I remember they were very popular in the 60,s & 70,s and a lot of hippies had them too,
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

trottytrue I hope everything went well and you are one step closer to selling your house,
Rodney.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Well the showing went well and apparently they loved it but thats nothing unless they make an offer. They want to see some utility bills so I have emailed them to the realestate person. Hope they are not too shocked with the money spent on electric.
I am getting really tired and exhausted I dont know how long I can keep this pace up. Friday was really busy everthing happened at once. The men came to pump the septic system, then the salvation army came to pick up the furniture and household items and then the handyman came and power washed the house. But that all seem to work for the better as the house looked really fresh and the garage looked nice and clean. Now if I can just keep it this way. Everyday living just messes things up.
Thankyou all for your good wishes I hope it works. Still I think its a good start.
Fish and Chips... Have a wonderful time on board ship. Thats how we want to travel. I am going to find out tomorrow if they have any vacancies within the next year for our pooch. We would not be able to travel for at least 6months as she just had her titre test. But you know once the house sells I will feel so much more relaxed. I am at the point where I think it will never sell.
Easterndawn... Sounds like you are getting plenty of different types of experience that is excellent. You sound so much better hope your hubby is doing well and your babies.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey TT, I cant believe you showed it already thats awesome, and they want to see bills, wow,
I bet it looks lovely, i so hope you sell really quickly..... did you get my email, I have a new log in name.
Call me.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:52 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

fingers crossed for you TT. it sounds really positive!
Someone asked about the carry on for the QM2?? You are allowed anything that will fit in your cabin. they dont care what it's packed in, but remember you have to transport it on and off. They do provide trolley thingys though to make it easier.
charleygirl. wawa and ED...I am of the same age, 55 , but I work with loads of the same age.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:00 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well at least I would not have to worry about them not doing the job properly, as we have all had to work our a---s off to get where we have been and back again. Actually would be a great place to have a reunion, once we get our bar licence.
ED you are just so inspirational. Reunion in Scotland sounds great. I'm 59 in a few weeks and I keep thinking it's now or never (isn't that a song). I can't wait until our holiday in Sept/Oct just to check things out.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:12 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Well the showing went well and apparently they loved it but thats nothing unless they make an offer. They want to see some utility bills so I have emailed them to the realestate person. Hope they are not too shocked with the money spent on electric.
I am getting really tired and exhausted I dont know how long I can keep this pace up. Friday was really busy everthing happened at once. The men came to pump the septic system, then the salvation army came to pick up the furniture and household items and then the handyman came and power washed the house. But that all seem to work for the better as the house looked really fresh and the garage looked nice and clean. Now if I can just keep it this way. Everyday living just messes things up.
Thankyou all for your good wishes I hope it works. Still I think its a good start.
Fish and Chips... Have a wonderful time on board ship. Thats how we want to travel. I am going to find out tomorrow if they have any vacancies within the next year for our pooch. We would not be able to travel for at least 6months as she just had her titre test. But you know once the house sells I will feel so much more relaxed. I am at the point where I think it will never sell.
Easterndawn... Sounds like you are getting plenty of different types of experience that is excellent. You sound so much better hope your hubby is doing well and your babies.
TT things seem to be happening for you and you are in my thoughts. Once you receive an offer you will get all the energy you need to do all those 'moving chores'. Everyday there seems to be another obstacle to our return but I just keep thinking one day it will happen - because I want it to. My biggest problem is I let people 'sabotage' my dream. Some say 'be careful what you wish for' or 'it's just nostaglia - life isn't all Heartbeat and Doc Martin'. Even family in the UK tell me not to return; that 'life isn't the same and 'you will be worse off'. They might all be right, I may be very wrong but I have to know the answer for my heart. Barb in Aust is right, the grandchildren are a huge 'push/pull' factor - but for how long? Anyway no-one can take our dreams so I will make a cuppa, read this thread and admire all those who have been soooo courageous and I will sit and dream

To all of those setting out on their big adventure home - Bon Voyage and enjoy the journey because I have a little feeling the destination is going to be even better
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:28 am
Just Joined

cybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant futurecybernoddy has a brilliant future

Re: Moving back to the UK after 11 years in Aus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi

I am in exactly the same position, I too came here 11 years ago. I came here with my then husband and we were 47 at that time. Long story but as my only sister lives here I thought it may make my widowed Mum come out and join us. Also my son and his wife and children and my unmarried daughter may all have the opportunity to come here. None of this has happened....my marriage broke up 7 years ago ( he has remarried to an Australian) and a 5 year relationship I was in, finished last year. I am now 58.....I have a job, two dogs, a home ( which due to the break up of the relationship I shall have to work until I am 72 to pay for!) and friends BUT I don't have my family. Yes my sister and her husband are still here but I am well aware that they will follow their own children around which will leave me stranded. I love Australia, I love the country but it has been very harsh to me emotionally - maybe it doesn't love me ! I am now considering moving back to the UK and now I have actually allowed the thought to enter my head, it is growing in strength every day. I think we sacrificed so much to get here in the first place that I couldn't/wouldn't think about going back, however I only have to think of me and what is best for me......and each day all I think about is going back. I would not leave my dogs for anything, so it can only be next year at the earliest to return for them to be able to travel with me, without having to go into quarantine.

Has anyone any thoughts on my decision to return as my mind is still in such a quandry as to whether it is the right thing? I have read some of the posts on here and it was so encouraging to see the one about how when you get home it is as if all the pieces of the jigsaw fit together....that is so what I am hoping! I am of course worried that when I get there it is all a mistake and I can't them come back due to finances

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.