Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
In Liverpool we called them pobs
Hi Barb,
Pobs Hmmmm interesting name, no Ive never heard it called that, down south we just called it bread & milk,
So like fish asked you ---- how is Oz treating you?
Rodney.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide
Devon and Cornwall seem to have more reasonable prices than Sussex, Dorset, Hampshire and Kent. Wales has some interesting properties also and the prices are good.

We have started with the yard sales and preparing our home for selling. Living in Vancouver which although is a great place to live it is time to go back to the UK for reasons already stated by so many others on this forum.

I know I will have tons of questions for others on this site as time goes on .
Thanks for listening.......Cheers, David

Hi David and welcome

That sounds like a great plan. Devon or Cornwall would be great places for a B&B we have spent many holidays in both areas and love them both.

You will find someone will have an answers to any question you might have as you prepare for you move.

Good luck with the yard sale

Just take one step at a time and you will get there.

Chris
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:23 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Barb,
Pobs Hmmmm interesting name, no Ive never heard it called that, down south we just called it bread & milk,
So like fish asked you ---- how is Oz treating you?
Rodney.
Oh you know Rodney, I am here and I would sooner be over there in merry olde England............

What can you do? Just get on with it I suppose. I am at that horrible stage of applying for jobs, 14 applied for so far in fact..........it's just a matter of time and I will be on the old treadmill yet again.

Hope you are feeling better these days, any sign of a flight booking yet?

Barb
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:27 am
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Guys...

I have a question for you, I know its not moving back to UK related but its something that has been bugging me for some years, I have asked my in laws but nobody can come up with the answer, I'm hoping that someone here may have the answer.

I'm looking for a name to describe a kitchen cabinet we had for many years, a one word name, some people I have spoken with called it a tall boy but that isnt the name I'm looking for, it may have been a generic or slang term, I'm not sure, I will know the name when I hear or read it.

Back in the 50/60s there were some free standing kitchen cabinets, every home seem to have one of these cabinets, I think they were made by a company called Eastman, These cabinets were about six feet tall, and maybe three feet wide, they were usually divided into three sections.

On the bottom were cupboards for storage with painted wooden doors, I think we had tall boxes of cereal in one side and pans in the other.

In the middle section at waist height was a large door that pulled down so you could use it for a worktop, I think the door had a formica type surface inside, it was counter balanced so it was easy to pull down, behind the door on one the right side was a place for bread items, like a built in bread bin, the bread bin door was also a cutting board, there was also a place to store your bread knife.
On the left side was an open storage area for various items including butter dishes and maybe a small shelf for salt, pepper and spices.

In the top section were sliding glass doors ours were made of frosted ribbed glass, I know my mother kept her tea cups plates and glasses in ours.

Ok Guys lets see what you can do, and Thanks Very Much.
Hi Fish & Chips
Well from memory we just called ours the kitchen cabinet, but have just asked a friend from New Zealand where they were called hutch.
At least our toilet was in the house together with the bath which lead off the scullery - how victorian is that?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh you know Rodney, I am here and I would sooner be over there in merry olde England............

What can you do? Just get on with it I suppose. I am at that horrible stage of applying for jobs, 14 applied for so far in fact..........it's just a matter of time and I will be on the old treadmill yet again.

Hope you are feeling better these days, any sign of a flight booking yet?

Barb
Thanx Barb,
Yes I am feeling much better now and as a matter of fact I went to my Doc yesterday and asked if I could go back to work and she said yes and gave me a return to work note for my Boss, I am starting work again this Friday,
I havent changed my UK flight date yet, but now I am mobile again and can get around in my car I can start to take care of business, it should not take me more then a month,
Now Barb you take care and keep positive with finding a Job, and chin up,
Rodney.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Ive never had the gas light experience, but I still like fried bread every once in a while and dripping cobs too, I know its not good for me, still its a rare treat, and yes even then I feel guilty as I know better. Memories...
Oh yes I still enjoy a nice couple of fried bread slices with my eggs & bacon but just like you ocasionaly and for the same reasons, but I just like the flavour of the bacon in the bread, hmmmm lovely,
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hi David and welcome

That sounds like a great plan. Devon or Cornwall would be great places for a B&B we have spent many holidays in both areas and love them both.

You will find someone will have an answers to any question you might have as you prepare for you move.

Good luck with the yard sale

Just take one step at a time and you will get there.

Chris
I grew up in Teignmouth near Torquay and still have family there. Never really thought I would be going back but then this year things changed and am really excited about the move now.

I think it is all about taking small steps and trying to do something everyday. Right now fixing up all the little things that need to be done before listing the apartment for sale.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How funny! Swaledale is exactly where I plan to head if I have my way. We had all our holidays there when I was a kid and I just think it's the most beautiful place I've ever been.
I worked at The Punch Bowl Inn and stayed at a house in Reeth. Always remember we would all get to one of the pubs just before closing time after work and then the landlord would lock the doors and everyone left inside would stay for another hour or so. That was 1969 I believe.
Fun days for sure !
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Welcome David!..what an exciting plan...Devon and Cornwall eh?..No doubt you will be hosting some of us on this thread at some point down the road in your B&B!!

I hope you and your partner will make a happy home there..here's wishing you all the best and so looking forward to the tales of your journey!.

Its a nice morning here in Jolly Old, the birds are singing and the sun is out ..supposed to be 18c today and rain at the weekend..

Rodney,....how is your health now?...I see you have completed a couple of longer posts for us ..I guess you are able to sit longer at the computer then?.
How far are you from going back to the job?

Bee..If I can do the Sydney trip I would come and see you for sure..also have a long lost cousin in Brissy too!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Welcome David!..what an exciting plan...Devon and Cornwall eh?..No doubt you will be hosting some of us on this thread at some point down the road in your B&B!!

I hope you and your partner will make a happy home there..here's wishing you all the best and so looking forward to the tales of your journey!.

Its a nice morning here in Jolly Old, the birds are singing and the sun is out ..supposed to be 18c today and rain at the weekend..

Rodney,....how is your health now?...I see you have completed a couple of longer posts for us ..I guess you are able to sit longer at the computer then?.
How far are you from going back to the job?

Bee..If I can do the Sydney trip I would come and see you for sure..also have a long lost cousin in Brissy too!
Hello Eileen,
Thanx for asking, yes the Doc said I can go back to work this Friday, I walk pretty well normally now, just not my normal speed so just have to take it slow for a while,
Rodney.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Hello Eileen,
Thanx for asking, yes the Doc said I can go back to work this Friday, I walk pretty well normally now, just not my normal speed so just have to take it slow for a while,
Rodney.
Great news Rodney!...nice to hear your mobile

Friday....funny day to return to work but it gives you a day on and then two days to recuperate from the shock though eh?

I guess you can begin to work on your list of moving arrangements then
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Wow you really are taking me down memory lane. My friends mum had the freestanding cupboard. It was really bugging me when it was first mentioned. I asked my husband if he could remember. He said he would ask his sister at the weekend (she lives in Scotland) Then someone mentioned kitchenette, that was what my friends family called there's. Thank you for the answer i don't think i could have waited until the weekend lol.

Rodney we called our built in cupboard a pantry. My mum used to do her washing with a dolly tub, ponch and mangle. We used to roll down the garden in the dolly tub when it wasn't being used, we did have great fun.

We had an open fire but also had a Beeston boiler in the kitchen that heated the water for the bath and the rest of the house.

There is a place called the Brewhouse Yard in Nottingham it is set out as rooms were years ago. When i went in the kitchen it was like walking into my grandmothers kitchen. It is definitely worth a visit for anyone who finds themselves in the area. You can always come and have a cup of tea with us too once we get back.

Well i had better go and get some work done now i have finished reminiscing.

Chris
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Great news Rodney!...nice to hear your mobile

Friday....funny day to return to work but it gives you a day on and then two days to recuperate from the shock though eh?

I guess you can begin to work on your list of moving arrangements then
Hi Eileen,
Well you see our work schedule starts on Friday and ends on Thursday each week, and my days off are Wed/Thurs so I dont get Weekends off,
Yes I will be busy getting everything taken care of, I have made a list of all the things that I have to do,
Im waiting for the Social security office to call me to give me an appointment,
I want to ask some questions on getting my social security payments sent to my Bank in UK and ask what I have to do as I dont have a bank account over there yet, --- and cant get one opened till I go back home,
Also as I am turning 65 in about a month on June 7th I need to tell them that I do not wish to sighn up for medicare as there is no sense me having over $100 deducted from my S.S. payments each month as I will be living in the UK,
I think though that all I am required to do by law is sighn up for part A --- which is just for a little hospital coverage, and that part is free,
Rodney.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Eileen,
Rodney.
Excellent news Rodney. Mobile at last. Now you can get everything sorted out and get on home to your Mum
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Relocateme;8529786]Welcome David!..what an exciting plan...Devon and Cornwall eh?..No doubt you will be hosting some of us on this thread at some point down the road in your B&B!!

Thanks so much for your wishes. They are appreciated. I sure hope many do come and visit the B&B wherever it is we end up. I think we have looked at every available listing of B&B and Guest House for sale in the UK in the last few weeks. Of course many are out of our price range.

So glad that things have worked out for you and that you are enjoying life back in "Jolly Old".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.