Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by aes1
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Just had a call from a nice man (English!!!) from British Embassy in Washington DC. My passport is being overnight mailed today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Should get it tomorrow" and I have a tracking #!!!!

Don't get out the champagne just yet.........:finge rscrossed:
I am keeping my and everything else crossed. Good luck.

Chris
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 10:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Fish n Chips,
Thanx for post, yes I feel good now about being able to buy a reginal free DVD player in England, I will probably buy it from Amazon, I saved the site that that nice person sent me, Yes I love my music CD'S and I have lots of DVD,S live concerts of my favorite singers, so many of them, I bought a lot from E - Bay, and a lot of others from stores, it would cost the earth to replace them and even if I tried it would take ages and I wouldn't be able to find half of them anyway, I will ship them all back to UK before I leave Vegas,
As for hording we all do that but thats natural --- part of life and we all need these things to make our life more comfortable and to make ourselves happy,
so many little things we buy over the years, presents that people buy us that we certainly do not want to get rid of, I am going to sort through all my stuff shortly, I have so much stuff in my Garage in Boxes, I,m going to sort it all out and re - pack all the things that I want to keep and I am going to store lots of boxes at my friends house, he said he has lots of room in his Garage,
I,m giving him my two recliners, and also I have decided to give him my 52 inch HDTV flat screen, its 5 years old and looks and works wonderfully, he,s been a great friend to me over many years and I will certainly miss him when I go back but of course we will keep in touch and then there will be times that I will take a nice vacation over here and we can get together then, he said he will always put me up at his place he has 3 bedroom house and he lives alone, so lots of space,
Well you take care Fish n Chips, got to get ready for work now and I will have to read the rest of these wonderful posts from all our friends here tomorrow, Oh boy it dont take long to get behind on this post does it
Rodney.
He sounds like a great friend Rodney, having someone to give some things too and having him store a few boxes will make the whole thing a lot easier. Nice to have a place in Vegas to visit once in a while for your Holidays
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britannia2
Just to add to my story a little bit....
My mum and dad divorced years ago so I had very little to do with my father who sadly passed on in 2007. I do have a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins in the U.K though and I still feel very much a part of my original family and we keep in touch via facebook etc.
When I first came out here, I did openly express doubts about being able to handle it for the long term but just about everyone I spoke to urged me to come to Oz and try to make a new life with my wondeerful boyfriend. He had a permanent job at the time but I didn't and so that's why I ended up coming out here. Everyone told me that as I had found my 'Mr Right', everything else would fall into place. I got things like---- 'Wait until you get married then you'll settle"...Once you have a child you'll meet other mums and settle"..."When you start work again you'll settle down"...and so on...
Twenty years down the track and I have a wonderful husband and three gorgeous girls all in their teens but still I have to say that I feel like a square peg in a round hole and I really detest the climate.!!
For me, England is the most beautiful place on earth to live and even the smell of the air when you first get out of Heathrow airport makes me feel more alive than I have ever felt here.
My girls are growing up fast and although in the past my husband and I have discussed moving back to the U.K. ( even for a few years) it's just never got past the "discussion stage" and now it's too late to uproot my girls as they are all enrolled in university or high school courses and are at a crucial stage in their education. That's why I stated earlier that I couldn't just up and leave.
As for mum, she has been turned down by every insurance agent she has tried to get travel cover with and as her heart attacks are all related to blood clots, I doubt she's ever going to be able to come over here permanently or even for another visit.
Last time she was ill, I tried to liase with the medical staff and family members as to her condition but there was an' unspoken resentment' among some people in both groups that I had somehow "abandoned" my mum for selfish reasons to go off in search of the good life. Nothing was directly said but there was a distinct coolness which was unmissable when I was trying to open lines of communication.Anyone else ever had that treatment.....?
Anyway, I have a dream ( as Martin Luther King said ) of getting on a plane someday, preferably with all of my family, and flying back home to the U.K. and never having to set foot in Perth again. If I can't have that, then I'd settle for just owning a little flat in the U.K. so that I could go over there whenever I felt the urge to back home again----even if just for a few months each year.

P.S. To the person who P.M.d me--I can't acces my messages until I have made at least three posts, so please hang in there and I will eventually reply....
Well I suppose I will have to tell you more about myself I suppose! I have posted a couple of times but I have now (finally) reached the end of the postings! Unfortunately my story is one of extreme sadness and cultural displacement-I dont think I want to go into this too much as its quite shocking.
I am 51 and I have had to battle this displacement for 38 years.
I am am immigrant child (the worst type) as it was NOT my idea to come to this arrogant/ignorant dummer down under useless uncultured footy stupid place! Right that felt better! I dont think ANYWHERE in the world could a "people" be this bad and racist, exist. OK, I will stop now or I will keep going on!
This forum is the best I have EVER been involved with-
I admire Easterndawn and I have been watching her battle to establish herself.
I think I will have to write more about my life as an invisible English immigrant and how I have been bullied, traumatised and resented just for being English. We are leaving end of April and this will be the third time that I have tried to go home leaving my immediate family behind-I however have my own family to consider and I cant have them marrying an Aussie (I would like to think of another word here maybe POM backwards?) MOP; thats quite good! Actually MOP head-an ideas here? For all you English out there in the "unlucky country" (the MOPS think they are superior to EVERY other country in the world-for some reason they hate Americans?), come out and speak on here.
I am going to blow the lid on this when I get back-I am collecting a DVD off the TV and I will be doing an exhibition "Semi-detached-the Real Australia" I am an artist see

www.thedarkworldproject.com

LOOK I could go on and on-that should be enough for now-Come on all the invisible British people speak!! WE will listen.
Once again thank you for this forum and yes I will help anyone who wants to come back I have vast knowledge-Does anyone know what happened to Pommie Bastard!!! cheers for reading-I will lighten up!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Location: making plans to return to the UK....Plans were successful, arrived in UK safe & sound
Katey70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Congrats and welcome.
Thanks for the warm welcome
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Location: making plans to return to the UK....Plans were successful, arrived in UK safe & sound

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Welcome to the thread, where in Canada do you live?

Thanks for the welcome. We are on the West Coast in Port Moody, a suburb of Vancouver. We also lived in Winnipeg for five years...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wingandapray
Well I suppose I will have to tell you more about myself I suppose! I have posted a couple of times but I have now (finally) reached the end of the postings! Unfortunately my story is one of extreme sadness and cultural displacement-I dont think I want to go into this too much as its quite shocking.
I am 51 and I have had to battle this displacement for 38 years.
I am am immigrant child (the worst type) as it was NOT my idea to come to this arrogant/ignorant dummer down under useless uncultured footy stupid place! Right that felt better! I dont think ANYWHERE in the world could a "people" be this bad and racist, exist. OK, I will stop now or I will keep going on!
This forum is the best I have EVER been involved with-
I admire Easterndawn and I have been watching her battle to establish herself.
I think I will have to write more about my life as an invisible English immigrant and how I have been bullied, traumatised and resented just for being English. We are leaving end of April and this will be the third time that I have tried to go home leaving my immediate family behind-I however have my own family to consider and I cant have them marrying an Aussie (I would like to think of another word here maybe POM backwards?) MOP; thats quite good! Actually MOP head-an ideas here? For all you English out there in the "unlucky country" (the MOPS think they are superior to EVERY other country in the world-for some reason they hate Americans?), come out and speak on here.
I am going to blow the lid on this when I get back-I am collecting a DVD off the TV and I will be doing an exhibition "Semi-detached-the Real Australia" I am an artist see

www.thedarkworldproject.com

LOOK I could go on and on-that should be enough for now-Come on all the invisible British people speak!! WE will listen.
Once again thank you for this forum and yes I will help anyone who wants to come back I have vast knowledge-Does anyone know what happened to Pommie Bastard!!! cheers for reading-I will lighten up!!!
When are you moving back? You sound fit to be tied.
I didn't think there was anywhere with people more self loving and superior feeling than the USA Tongue biting is my normal state here.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hiya and welcome!

Can you tell us a little about what is driving you back and what you are hoping for back in our homeland? Do you have kids, and if so where re they?

Sorry for being nosey!
Can't really explain what is driving us back...just a feeling that the Uk is where we are supposed to be.

Yes, I have a daughter and two grandchildren they live in South Africa, my daughter has lived there since she was three years old.

Long story short, I got pregnant (out of wedlock) and the "powers that be" suggested that it would be for the best if I put the baby up for adoption, to go and get on with my life. Six months later I immigrated Canada. Fast forward to 2000 I decided that I would search for my daughter (even though I was told not to) I found her in 2002. We were in contact via email and phone, then we met face to face when Justine came to Canada in 2005. Since then our commuication has been somewhat sporadic...why I'm not sure...casualty of adoption?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Taffy Duck;8436342]Hello Katey70 and welcome..don't be shy to post here we are all friends trying to help each other...this is a wonderful thread...

Thanks for the welcome Taffy, and yes, I agree this is a wonderful thread.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:19 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Relocateme;8436767]Warm Sunday welcome to Catherine and Stewart..wer'e getting to be a big family all of a sudden

I was just thinking about them all sitting down to their Sunday roast with mashed, two veg, gravy and roast spuds and just the Sunday atmoshphere in England that is irreplaceable..aaaah..only two more weeks and 2 days to go

I must be in food mood..made a bread pudding this week.... as Tony Hancock would ask..did it have sugar sprinkled on top?...Yes it did!

Thanks for the welcome. It really is a small world, we had Sunday roast, but I hate to admit...I did not do roast spuds...
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to all the newcomers to the forum. Hopefully some may get to go home but coming on here helps keep it alive and we can share our thoughts.

Eaterndawn.. so glad to hear how you are doing. I lived in Sandbach before we moved to the US and not far from where we lived was the most beautiful place call 'Daffodil Dell' its hard to explain what it was like but some magical place, you walked through this glen and it was full of daffodils I can close my eyes and still see it. Spring is the most lovely time of the year.

Aces and Relocateme... Could you possibly sign off before you leave so that we know when you leave and expect to hear from you once you are settled. So very happy for you both.... God bless and keep you both safe and give you strength to get through the first few weeks. Aces1.. hope your passport got to you by now.

Rodney.. time will fly past for you. Time to get in that garage and sort out your stuff have a few garage sales. Some things I cannot part with. I have to get back up into the attic as I heard a little patter of feet last night and saw a chipmonk. So I need to try and get rid of the boxes I emptied quite a few last time I was up there. I still have things I cannot get rid of till we know we are movin

Britiannia2.... When my Mother became very ill I had the same problem as you had, I was resented by my family for not being home and also told to keep my nose out as I was not there to help so it was none of my business. Talking to the Social Services about problems my Mother was having was a nightmare. I still have many regrets about it. Oh for a crystal ball

Wingandapray..Sounds like you have had a tough time. Glad to hear you have made the decision to go home sounds like your children are getting to the age where they need to be settled so this will be a good time to go.

I am not sure what makes all of us not good as immigrants to whichever country we have moved to but many people move to other countries and are very happy and would not think of going home. I have friends who live in New Zealand, Australia, the US and they are all happy. I have one friend who is moving to NZ and she is just turning 70, she is going to live close to her daughter. She has a wonderful life in the UK lots of friends but just has the attitude that she wants to be close to her daughter and says she will enjoy a new country.

I am an avid gardener and I would compare us to some of those perennials that hate to be transplanted they either die (we dont want to do that) or just dont bloom or thrive very well. Does it have something to do with our characters or the age we where when we emmigrated.
I did try to fit in when I first came to the US but I dont think I ever overcame the homesickness I just pushed it onto the backburner. I wasnt unhappy I made a life for myself and I was busy with my children but there was always something missing. Once my children left for College it just got worse and sadly then people at home started getting sick and many died and you never think of them as being old as you did not see them grow old. Its like you've been stuck in a time warp but everyone else moved on. I kept diaries over the years and when I read them I see the sadness thoughout it pops it head up now and again.

I envy those who moved to a new country and settled well I think they are very lucky. My children do not want to return to the UK once we came here they became Americans they know where they are from but this is their country. I am glad about that I would not want them to be unhappy.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jasper123
Welcome to our thread Catherine & Stewart we are all down to earth friends here so just talk away ----- we all want to know about you, You have been in Canada a very long time, it sure beats my little 36 years out here, I started out with 3 years in Vancouver Canada then left there to come here, and now 33 years in USA, Im going back to UK this November for good, I will be retired when I get there,
Any way Take care,
Rodney.
Thanks for the welcome.

My father decided that perhaps immigrating to Canada would be a good thing for the family. So in January 1970 my mother and some of my sisters immigrated, I did not arrive until June that same year, and after a year I wanted to go back to the UK. However, I could not afford the airfare, so 40 years later I am still here. We are hoping to be back in the UK by Sept/Oct this year, barring any unforseen circumstances, and we will also be retired when we get there
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
When are you moving back? You sound fit to be tied.
I didn't think there was anywhere with people more self loving and superior feeling than the USA Tongue biting is my normal state here.
The difference is at least the US is a superpower what has Australia have to be smug about?
We will be leaving April 27th-Actually my sister is American I lived in California for my first 8 years in Redondo Beach-it was however the 60's.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick one from me !!!

Here in Cheshire after nightmare moving day!!

Did NOTHING yesterday as my stress levels were through the roof and I really needed to chill out and de-stress.

Off to the hairdressers today to get my foils and haircut, BADLY needed having a few family round tonight who won't be here next week when I go.

Off on the train to York tomorrow - I will stay in a B and B overnight and do some touristy things back on Thursday.

Will have a day out on Friday with my mum.

Saturday/Sunday - my 2 sisters and I are booked into a B and B in Machynlleith (sp??) as I need to get some Welsh fresh air into my lungs

Monday - dont know but do feel this need to fill myself up with as much culture as possible!!

Tuesday evening, depart to Oz and that's if folks!!

Anna, Anna, Anna, I cannot believe that you are now sooo close to coming home. My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday, hey is Middlesborough anywhere near York as that's where I will be until Thursday!! All the VERY VERY best to you and have a safe flight and kiss the ground when you get off the plane LOL!!

Haven't had time to read much as I have been too busy on lastminute.com and trip advisor trying to find reasonable rates for guest houses.

So it's bye from me............for now...........but like Arnie........

I'll be back...................
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:00 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wingandapray
The difference is at least the US is a superpower what has Australia have to be smug about?
We will be leaving April 27th-Actually my sister is American I lived in California for my first 8 years in Redondo Beach-it was however the 60's.
Are you one of the child migrants shipped to Australia, Canada and South Africa by the Government?

I don't wish to be personal but am very interested in the whole "scheme" and have done quite a bit of research on it over the years.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just a quick one from me !!!

Here in Cheshire after nightmare moving day!!

Did NOTHING yesterday as my stress levels were through the roof and I really needed to chill out and de-stress.

Off to the hairdressers today to get my foils and haircut, BADLY needed having a few family round tonight who won't be here next week when I go.

Off on the train to York tomorrow - I will stay in a B and B overnight and do some touristy things back on Thursday.

Will have a day out on Friday with my mum.

Saturday/Sunday - my 2 sisters and I are booked into a B and B in Machynlleith (sp??) as I need to get some Welsh fresh air into my lungs

Monday - dont know but do feel this need to fill myself up with as much culture as possible!!

Tuesday evening, depart to Oz and that's if folks!!

Anna, Anna, Anna, I cannot believe that you are now sooo close to coming home. My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday, hey is Middlesborough anywhere near York as that's where I will be until Thursday!! All the VERY VERY best to you and have a safe flight and kiss the ground when you get off the plane LOL!!

Haven't had time to read much as I have been too busy on lastminute.com and trip advisor trying to find reasonable rates for guest houses.

So it's bye from me............for now...........but like Arnie........

I'll be back...................
At least you have missed the heat! It was 34C one night in Melbourne-Its incredible! Perth has been terrible hot-its been awful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.