Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers
Easterndawn,

I had it all figured out last night where your new apartment is on Riverside Drive in Ayr, but now you say you are on an island? You did say at one time you were close to Ayr so I will have to look at islands around there. Seems like the closest island is a fair distance.

Cheers
Sorry Cheers, if I have confused you, I am in Ayr, my husband is back on Prince Edward Island and you are correct my flat is on Riverside Drive. Sometimes I confuse myself, I did have a dream last night and I was driving on the UK side of the road, so guess my brain has finally caught up with the rest of my body
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Is your daughter bringing a U-Haul to the airport?
Ha Ha Ha Ha, no but she has an estate car, I think there like our station wagons arent they?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
That's how I feel, but my brother thinks I need to work for a few years. He said to have a decent retirement in the UK, one needs to have $1 million in the bank. Is he cuckoo? I know he has worked very hard as a solicitor specializing in euro law for NI government. He is also very disabled suffering from ankalosing spondolitis since he was sixteen. Very smart with real estate....I may even to live in his apartment investment......not sure he thinks I am for real yet.....
All a million dollars would do is make life a little easier, but everyone I know or have known over here with a lot of money seem to be less happy then the ones that lead a simple life,
Me ---- well Im a plain old meat & potatoes man myself,
Rodney.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
Anna, your a sweetheart,
Thanks for coming on here again, it does not surprise me that you have at least for a bit longer have decided to stay in Malta, I have read all your adventures from a while ago, I remember everyone of them too, what a freaking memory I have
Now I bet theres a whole lot more adventures that you have had since your last postings way back when, we would love to here them, do you have a Job in Malta yet? are you teaching? enquiring minds want to know,
God bless you, and keep that attitude,
And by the way how's my sweater going? are you at least half way through knitting it yet?
Take care,
Rodney.
Rodney, where is the little smiley that has the "ashamed" look on its face??? Because I am so ashamed I forgot all about your sweater!!!! Can I knit you a scarf instead??? And what was the colour - blue or green?

Barb is right though, I am having too much fun to knit, don't even have any knitting needles in Malta!!!

Once I get back there I won't have time to come on here again, so again, good luck to everyone, new and old, don't give up, your dreams WILL come true. And you do have the right to change them from time to time if you want!!!

So - back to my final packing, trying to get these two packed bags down to 15 kg, the max weight allowed by Ryanair. I did try and pay for an extra 5 kg but they wouldn't let me switch on line, and blowed if I am paying £10 a minute or something ridiculous to call them!!! So, maybe that sheepskin coat that I love so much and really won't need in Malta.......maybe it isn't going with me after all!!! As it is I shall look like the US Michelin man with all the stuff I am wearing on the flight just to be able to get more over. One way to put on weight I suppose!!!!

Love to all, Anna
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha Ha Ha, no but she has an estate car, I think there like our station wagons arent they?
Yes you and Island girl are getting back into the lingo.

Estate car - station wagon

Post - mail

Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Anna knitting a sweater?? I must have missed that in my "few months of trying to get used to living here" departure from this thread, I don't think she has the time, too busy having FUN, FUN, FUN!
Yeah Barb this was a while ago but she said that I have to buy the knitting needles
We were only kidding around though
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

That did make me laugh Rodney, you and your cans of beetroot on the scales LOL!! I love it too! But I will give that a whirl as the time approaches....

I bought one of those little weighing scale thingies in the UK, not digital, but it has a little dial thingie with the weights on and a hook where you hang the luggage but the hook is too small and your bag is too heavy to lift and keeps falling on the floor and it's all just a waste of effort and money, then again I probably bought it in Poundland.

And may I say the excess baggage from the USA and Canada is extremely cheap....EXTREMELY.

Here in Australia most airlines only allow you 23kgs (50lbs) then the excess baggage rate from Australia to the UK is $50.00 AUD per kilo, yes you read that right, $50.00 for every 2.2 lbs!!!

Which is why I am looking at other options..........
WOW $50 per kilo for excess baggage ---- what a rip off, I have 200 pounds in weight of excess baggage can you imagine how much that would cost me if I were in Australia
I would have to take out a bank loan to pay all that money to the airlines
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think we in the US use 'post' and 'postman' terms along with mailman.
I go to the Post Office. The postman comes in the morning. These statements come naturally to me.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

WOW $50 per kilo for excess baggage ---- what a rip off, I have 200 pounds in weight of excess baggage can you imagine how much that would cost me if I were in Australia
I would have to take out a bank loan to pay all that money to the airlines
Absolute rip off huh? That is why unaccompanied baggage is becoming more popular @ $12.50 per kilo plus handling charges. I will be sending my stuff by seafreight where it is based on the volume not the dead weight.......

I might fly on Emirates as my son did, they give you 30kgs (65lbs) allowance, every little helps.....and I will be like Anna wearing layers of clothes like the Michelin Man.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The hospitals charge a hefty fee to park here to, it's not just the UK.
They used to have one small free lot that would fill up fast and never empty all day, thank goodness I went into labour at 4am, before the lot filled up as it's the closest to the ER entrance.
Same here in Kingston- if you go to visit Kingston General Hospital be prepared to pay. Kingston as a town is very anti cars anyways with parking meters everywhere downtown...:thumb down:
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn,

I had it all figured out last night where your new apartment is on Riverside Drive in Ayr, but now you say you are on an island? You did say at one time you were close to Ayr so I will have to look at islands around there. Seems like the closest island is a fair distance.

Cheers
I think ED was speaking of Prince Edward Island, where she used to live in Canada.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute rip off huh? That is why unaccompanied baggage is becoming more popular @ $12.50 per kilo plus handling charges. I will be sending my stuff by seafreight where it is based on the volume not the dead weight.......

I might fly on Emirates as my son did, they give you 30kgs (65lbs) allowance, every little helps.....and I will be like Anna wearing layers of clothes like the Michelin Man.
Too funny! When I flew in September, I wore my heaviest things too - even wore my MN hiking boots on the plane, and carried my down jacket and heavy sweater! I do wear the boots each day - they are great for walking on the pavements, and I could not care if anyone thinks I am weird - at least my feet don't hurt
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I think we in the US use 'post' and 'postman' terms along with mailman.
I go to the Post Office. The postman comes in the morning. These statements come naturally to me.
I haven't used postman since I came to the USA. We say mailman even if it is a woman.......which it is usually in our neighborhood.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I haven't used postman since I came to the USA. We say mailman even if it is a woman.......which it is usually in our neighborhood.
Oh....and I told my beloved daughter as she was getting into a cab in NYC that I would most likely be heading back "home" next summer. She has wonderful memories of Ireland and spent most summers there with her grandparents. She is really excited for me (although she loves George.....and he loves her, but she totally understands that I am not in a position to save him and his law practice and be penniless as a result). I am sad also.....but it is the end of the road....
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,

Some info on taking computers back to the UK.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?...61.0;topicseen

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.