Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:44 am
Honeybun

Honeybun will become famous soon enoughHoneybun will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by aes1
That sounds wonderful Taffy, would love to do that myself. Yes, Eileen, hope your day was less wobbly today. Raining here all day, till now, tea time and a little bit of sunshine. A typical English day, was warm and gorgeous yesterday, now freezing cold with that North East wind blowing. I called my bank in the US today and got a solution to my paycheque problem. My son only needs to post it fromOregon to them with details of my account number, and they will deposit it for me. Good to know.

My brother-in-law has just been reading that a typical English breakfast of bacon, eggs, black pudding, etc is better for you than cereal. It primes you for the day! So there you go!! The English DO know best!!! Wonder if haggis applies too??!!!

I am all set for Malta now, just paid for another 2 checked baggages on Ryanair. They are not as cheap to fly with as they advertise, there is a separate fee for everything. Still, probably costing me less than shipping again!!

Hope everyone is having a brilliant day today, full of hopes and dreams!!!!
Hi Anna, just like Rodney, I await news of you in Malta. I myself lived there for 2 years when husband in Royal Marines, so I await news of change and where you will be situated. Good luck in the new venture.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:30 am
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Please can anyone advise ,the closing went through on my usa home sale 2 days ago .I urgently need to know if it is better given the lousy current exchange rate to have a money transfer sent to my uk bank account in dollars or in pounds,the uk bank refuses to give any information to help us out because of the complex security aspects regarding funds from another country ,also does anyone know how long after closing the payment is made to me as the seller
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
"By the way Canadian drivers licence is good for one year, and then you just change it over, no need to take a test or anything".

Wow!!!...thanks for that ED...I would never have guessed..can you change it over at any time...(like now for me) and where did you go to do that?

Hello again all...been out today to B&Q and a few other smaller shops for various items..they seem to have everything they have overseas but couldn't find any floorwax...like the clear Johnsons floorwax liquid..can anyone help with that info?

been out walking this evening and had to be careful about where the traffic is coming from

They really whip around into the street pretty darn quick
I feel pretty confident I can tackle the bus now ..ha ha...apparently its one pound 70p from the house into the City..dont know if this is good or bad

Anyway going to have a crack at it tomorrow..makes you think when I just used to jump into my Dodge Caravan right outside my door..start er up and away...didnt even have to think, everything was practically instinctive.

I am learning all over again

Plenty of flowers here in bloom in the front gardens. Forgetmenots, primroses, daffs (did get to see lambs on the way from Gatwick) tulips just coming out here now in this garden. I am enjoying seeing shrubs and flowers that dont grow in the great white north
Can't remember where you go but it does tell you on the UK Gov't site. Yes, just jumping in the car is the one thing I really miss, having to plan where and when you go so very carefully before venturing out. The other day saw lambs playing in the field as I went to work, made me smile. I can relate to the flowers and shrubs, still in awe of the color and shear amount of flowers blooming in the gardens at this time of year, forgot what those little blue flowers were called. Still havent ventured to the B&Q here, as I think it would drive me crazy to see all those things I could do to a home and at the moment not able to do, I love DYI and used to drive my husband crazy watching those programs and them making him go with me to see if we could do that in our house. I have brought myself a small tool kit with just the necessary items in it, but miss my power tools.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

JJ as regards your question.

(Has anyone considered a short term, emergency only, health insurance just for that short period of finish work / fly out coverage? Any thoughts?)

I would think you could get Cobra benefits to help you through your last days, I'm the person that wouldn't risk being without coverage, Better safe than sorry in my opinion, all you need is a last minute emergency or major surgery to take up all your savings and life would change, I suppose many would risk it and leave the bills as they wave goodbye, to me that would be bad Karma, Id sooner play by the rules and not have the worry, after all its small potatoes in the big picture if you can afford it.

As far as employment goes there are no guarantees of employment, that day n age has past, here today gone tomorrow, we are all disposable.

I see you are from the Norfolk and Lincolnshire area, I love both, I remember going on The Broads with my parents when I left school in 72, it was one the Best holidays ever, I was in Lincolnshire last summer, its just a lovely part of the Country, Enjoy the UK when you return and Good Luck to you both.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Anna I saw your Adsa comments.

Wal-mart bought out Asda about ten years ago, they do carry some exact same items, you will notice their george line of clothing and the big low prices smiley face, its just part of the walmart image, (perception) Low falling prices are a bit of a joke, ok some things are cheaper like in any store but not all by any means, its a very smart marketing plan, they have perfected it and use it worldwide, I was in retail for many years and understand how they work.

ASDA (Associated Dairies) run great stores but they did very well before walmart bought them out, I think they were started by farmers from Yorkshire many moons ago.

I do like the Asda stores but Id sooner support a British company like Tesco or Morrisons, I have a friend that worked for Morrisons, she was treated very well as an employee, thats the kind of people I like to support.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Like Anna, I can't keep up either and as I am now back where I don't really want to be, I think I will only visit now and then as it's probably best for my mental health LOL!!

Thanks to everybody for your kind thoughts and wishes.

Good luck to everybody and I hope we can all finally settle down and be happy in whatever country we end up in....................take care and wishing the next homing pigeon a safe journey HOME.

Gosh Barb this thread is getting more difficult for us all to read, it moves so fast with new pages everyday, miss a day or two and its like a part time job just catching up hahahaaaa

You always have some great info to add, Good Luck to you.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lara45
Hi Chris - well I try not to worry about the things I have no control over - not easy though!! I've been almost on "tunnel" vision ever since Xmas - lists prepared, notes, what we have to do, what must be done ... the last 3 months has been almost pure existence, crossing the "t's dotting the "i's" .. trying to not spend a $ - to the extent where I have been driving the car on "red" i.e any minute now Im going to run out of petrol (ridiculous I know). I have been totally obsesssed with going home!!

I look back on past posts on here - from the very early days when I was still in the UK and trying for the K1 and k2 - to us getting married - my desperate postings when my mother was dying - to our "maritial problems" .. I can't believe that time has passed so, so quickly. (OH Im off on a rant now - I'm sorry I just need to tonight)

I just want to go home - all of us as a family - I took it all for granted when I was there .. I remember so clearly, 2006, December 25th, I spoke to my Mother to wish her a happy xmas and my present to her was us, coming home. She sent an email/Card to my daughter saying "ohhh Nanny is so pleased your coming home ... Now I can spoil you again!" She died before we could get there - within weeks.

Ever since then ... things went downhilll .. never been the same. I said to my sister the other night (we can talk for hours at an end!!) "You know, when we get our feet back on British soil .. I swear Mam is going to be there waiting for us!!' lol she said "all the family will be there - all clapping and cheering!" lol just like the Titanic! ohhh god, now Im off ...

I just want this whole, horrible, visa mess out of the way, I never,ever, want to hear the "v" word again - I just want to come home to Wales!!!!!!
(besides which, I have a baby grandson - 1 day old - and I want to see him!!

OK rant over with for now ... beddie byes!!

Its amazing how we take Everything for granted, emigrating is certainly an education, not always an easy one, still Im sure many people enjoy their
new lives.

Im sorry about your Mum, losing a parent when we are so far away is the saddest thing, a similar thing happened to my wife, we hadn't been back in three years and planned a Christmas visit for the millenium, her parents were so excited, three days before we arrived her father passed away, it was totally unexpected at the time, so our fun Christmas visit became a funeral, still we celebrated his life, he was a happy family guy and loved us all, he wouldn't want us to be sad at Christmas.

Enjoy Wales, I was in Cardiff last summer what a wonderful place.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by magistrate
Please can anyone advise ,the closing went through on my usa home sale 2 days ago .I urgently need to know if it is better given the lousy current exchange rate to have a money transfer sent to my uk bank account in dollars or in pounds,the uk bank refuses to give any information to help us out because of the complex security aspects regarding funds from another country ,also does anyone know how long after closing the payment is made to me as the seller
It varies really depending on how long the transfer of title office takes.
My purchaser moved into to my house on March 13th and I did not get my money till 3 weeks later...however this was in Canada so may be different in US
The lawyer told me two weeks and then Easter was in the middle of it
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:14 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J

(Has anyone considered a short term, emergency only, health insurance just for that short period of finish work / fly outcoverage? Any thoughts?)

Cheers, June (and John)
Your health insurance coverage is still intact for 30 days after you terminate your job.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Honeybun
Hi Anna, just like Rodney, I await news of you in Malta. I myself lived there for 2 years when husband in Royal Marines, so I await news of change and where you will be situated. Good luck in the new venture.
Honeybun, where and when were you in Malta? Any advice on best and worst places to be? My sister and I are staying in a b and b for the first two weeks (then she goes home), and it is in Swieqi, which I think is inland from St Julians.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris - well I try not to worry about the things I have no control over - not easy though!! I've been almost on "tunnel" vision ever since Xmas - lists prepared, notes, what we have to do, what must be done ... the last 3 months has been almost pure existence, crossing the "t's dotting the "i's" .. trying to not spend a $ - to the extent where I have been driving the car on "red" i.e any minute now Im going to run out of petrol (ridiculous I know). I have been totally obsesssed with going home!!

I look back on past posts on here - from the very early days when I was still in the UK and trying for the K1 and k2 - to us getting married - my desperate postings when my mother was dying - to our "maritial problems" .. I can't believe that time has passed so, so quickly. (OH Im off on a rant now - I'm sorry I just need to tonight)

I just want to go home - all of us as a family - I took it all for granted when I was there .. I remember so clearly, 2006, December 25th, I spoke to my Mother to wish her a happy xmas and my present to her was us, coming home. She sent an email/Card to my daughter saying "ohhh Nanny is so pleased your coming home ... Now I can spoil you again!" She died before we could get there - within weeks.

Ever since then ... things went downhilll .. never been the same. I said to my sister the other night (we can talk for hours at an end!!) "You know, when we get our feet back on British soil .. I swear Mam is going to be there waiting for us!!' lol she said "all the family will be there - all clapping and cheering!" lol just like the Titanic! ohhh god, now Im off ...

I just want this whole, horrible, visa mess out of the way, I never,ever, want to hear the "v" word again - I just want to come home to Wales!!!!!!

so many emotions reading your post. tears at your loss, feeling the pain of missing family, and yes the V word, will I ever be glad to never have to deal with an immigration dept again. K1 to citizen and now I wanna go home!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

More socializing today, but I have opted out of today's walk/hike - too cold!!! Despite layers upon layers, eating well, and really acclimating myself to the changes in environment here, I still managed to come down with a slight cold and sore throat which wants to linger on - barely. I think maybe it is the change of water, I always somehow feel dry after having a drink - anyone else experience that?
So a fairly quiet day, more socializing tonight, but rest this afternoon, time to look at my cases again and hope that we actually will be flying on Sunday - volcanic ash from Iceland blown away please! I love to hear the British taking the fact that they are stranded at airports for goodness knows how long completely in their stride. One commented on TV when interviewed "well, these things happen, don't they? It's just something we have to deal with" Now that's the attitude that won us WW2!!! Along with the endless cups of tea of course

BTW for those who don't like that I visited Asda - it was just a browse, my sister always shops in Tescos.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:43 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Easterndawn,

When I move back it will be to Scotland!

I have a question. I will need to ship over some boxes of stuff when I move. What is the cheapest way? I don't have unlimited amouns of money, and just wanted to know how I could do it without breaking the bank. Is it just cheaper to pay the extra luggage charge on a flight or use somewhere like UPS, Fedex, or the Post Office?
Hello, there is another thread in the MBTTUK forum been running for only the past few day re: shipping boxes US to UK. USPS has some benefits, upakweship.com offers cheap quotes and excessbaggage.com is reasonable and provides free boxes. Airlines excess baggae rates should be available on their website and can be cheaper to pre-book excess bags.
We haven't used any these yet, just in process of choosing ourselves.

Last edited by J.J; Apr 15th 2010 at 2:56 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Oh Lara45 rant all you like that is what we are here for.

I was crying as i was reading your thread, and i am still crying as i write my reply. I'm sure your mum is watching over you now and will be there with the rest of your family when you touch down in the UK. I lost my stepdad ( he might not have been my biological father but he was my dad, so special) he died a couple of years before we came over here. I feel him with me all the time. I dont think i will ever get over the loss but being able to talk about him without crying as time passes, then being able to laugh when i remember all the happy, funny memories i have is priceless. We were so blessed to have him in our lives.
My daughters mum just died from breast cancer and one thing she put on her facebook status made me cry and smile. She said " I haven't lost my mum i know exactly where she is" I love that sentiment.
When things get tough just hold on to the fact that it wont be long before everything comes together. You will be with your family, holding your new grandson and all this will be a distant memory. Until then we are all here for you.

Take care Chris
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Hello, there is another thread in the forum been running for only the past few day re: shipping boxes US to UK. USPS has some benefits, upakweship.com offers cheap quotes and excessbaggage.com is reasonable and provides free boxes. Airlines excess baggae rates should be available on their website and can be cheaper to pre-book excess bags.
We haven't used any these yet, just in process of choosing ourselves.
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the other thread too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.