Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Feb 16th 2010, 5:53 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Elvira
It is?

How is this possible, seeing that the vast majority of people's wages are taxed via their tax code and all bank interest is taxed at source?
With all due respect you are somewhat naive on this matter. In most countries wages/salaries are taxed at source but the underground economies of these countries prefer cash payments because, for the most part, cash is untraceable. Have you never observed in a small store when you purchase bread, milk, candies etc, etc, etc that sometimes the store owner never rings up the sale? Do you think he/she pays taxes on the profits from such sales? If so, think again.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
With all due respect you are somewhat naive on this matter. In most countries wages/salaries are taxed at source but the underground economies of these countries prefer cash payments because, for the most part, cash is untraceable. Have you never observed in a small store when you purchase bread, milk, candies etc, etc, etc that sometimes the store owner never rings up the sale? Do you think he/she pays taxes on the profits from such sales? If so, think again.
First you claim that " tax evasion is a national sport".

Now you are talking about corner shop owners not ringing up candy sales???

In the UK, income from employment and interest is taxed at source, so the scope for fiddling/evading taxes is much reduced. AFAIK around 75% of UK residents do not need to fill in a tax return.

I lived in the UK for most of my life and I would bet a very large sum that few if anyone I knew was engaging in tax evasion (or banked in Malta )

(NB: tax avoidance/minimising tax liabilities are not the same as tax evasion.)
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mallory
I've always heard that Malta was a tax haven, unless things have changed.
Since they joined the EU, like Cyprus, they have been reigned in. It is now what would be described as "offshore". I believe though it is a favourable place to invest with a well established banking system. Otherwise, like most countries in the Med. it is pretty much a cash society.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:45 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The corner shop is just the tip of the iceberg. The UK black/underground economy is one of the most active in the developed world and costs the government untold billions every year in lost taxes. It certainly does in Canada and I know elsewhere.That is tax evasion and illegal. I understand tax avoidance very well, it's legal.
If, as you say, you've lived in Uk most of your life and are not aware of anyone paying cash for a large item/job done, and not realized they are most likely being a party to an illegal situation, then you are indeed naive.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

The corner shop is just the tip of the iceberg. The UK black/underground economy is one of the most active in the developed world and costs the government untold billions every year in lost taxes. It certainly does in Canada and I know elsewhere.That is tax evasion and illegal. I understand tax avoidance very well, it's legal.
If, as you say, you've lived in Uk most of your life and are not aware of anyone paying cash for a large item/job done, and not realized they are most likely being a party to an illegal situation, then you are indeed naive.
Yes, and we all Know that the MP's need more money so that they can build new duck houses for their ducks, or go on holidays on taxpayers money.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Yes, and we all Know that the MP's need more money so that they can build new duck houses for their ducks, or go on holidays on taxpayers money.
I assume that's a comment only and not justification for tax evasion, which only adds to the tax burden of legitimate taxpayers, both in the UK and Canada.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that's a comment only and not justification for tax evasion, which only adds to the tax burden of legitimate taxpayers, both in the UK and Canada.
Have you got no sense of humour? Of course she meant it in jest!!!!!OMG
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness "take a break" will you, please. Of course I was not condoning tax evasion but you realize that the majority of people who evade paying the full amount of taxes that need to be paid are the rich not the working poor or middle class but those who consider themselves "privilaged".
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Probably because tax evasion is a national sport.
That might be because those that work are seeing too much money being lost in benefit fraud. Even when these fraudsters are caught, they just get a criminal record (plus sometimes a custodial sentence) but they are allowed to pay back the benefits they have received, interest free.

I know it goes on their benefits record and isn't time barred as the money is taken out of any future benefit claims they make, but they still get rewarded by their fraud by not having to pay interest Even the fine they will also get, will not cover the interest lost. Even the fraud red flag on their credit details will be lost in 6 years after they go to court.

Last edited by formula; Feb 17th 2010 at 10:38 am.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

.....and on a lighter note,. I, Relocateme, who humbly begged for good vibes for my house showing before the weekend does hereby have the following to report:

That one of the sets of viewers at the open house on Sunday last did indeed love the house and schedule a house inspection which was done Monday.

The offer went to the lawyer yesterday and I will be accepting it today!

So thank you for your wishes and vibes sent over to me...it works!!!...the Universe is with us!!!

The buyer does have to sell his own house but in his area it should go quick

Waaaaaaaah....cant believe its happened....thanks again all !!!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:28 pm
Banned

people who evade paying the full amount of taxes that need to be paid are the rich not the working poor or middle class but those who consider themselves "privilaged".

So if not the rich, not the poor and not the middle-class, who are these privelaged (sic)?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

people who evade paying the full amount of taxes that need to be paid are the rich not the working poor or middle class but those who consider themselves "privilaged".

So if not the rich, not the poor and not the middle-class, who are these privelaged (sic)?
Take another read of what was said.....she says it is the rich! I could care less but it's a shame this wonderful thread has got hijacked and this is very little use to "OVER 50's & 60'sMOVING BACK TO THE UK".

Get over it and move on...... Do have yourself a nice day eh?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
.....and on a lighter note,. I, Relocateme, who humbly begged for good vibes for my house showing before the weekend does hereby have the following to report:

That one of the sets of viewers at the open house on Sunday last did indeed love the house and schedule a house inspection which was done Monday.

The offer went to the lawyer yesterday and I will be accepting it today!

So thank you for your wishes and vibes sent over to me...it works!!!...the Universe is with us!!!

The buyer does have to sell his own house but in his area it should go quick

Waaaaaaaah....cant believe its happened....thanks again all !!!!
Woohoo so happy our good vibes helped to sell the house!!

Now we must work harder on the others who are trying to sell.

Well done!!! When do you think you will be heading back home?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Take another read of what was said.....she says it is the rich! I could care less but it's a shame this wonderful thread has got hijacked and this is very little use to "OVER 50's & 60'sMOVING BACK TO THE UK".

Get over it and move on...... Do have yourself a nice day eh?
You're correct insofar as I read her comments incorrectly but she's not correct. If she believes the rich are the main culprits in tax avoidance she is living in lalaland.
FYI, this "wonderful" thread has been hijacked many times along the way.

You, also, have a nice day.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

This thread was started on September 6th 2009 by Trottytrue for people who are in their 50's and 60's to help one another out with what will probably be their last move. We are here to support one another, exchange ideas, advise, help each other in any way we can. To talk, to joke, to laugh, to congratulate or commiserate with one another.

Since the inception of this thread there has been nary a harsh word spoken so please do not come on here trying to stir up trouble.

If you have anything worthwhile to contribute to this wonderful group of people, then please do so, if you have any advise about moving back to the UK, we are all ears. Please let us learn from your wisdom and experience.

If not please close the door gently behind you and leave us to discuss what is relevant regarding our move(s) home.

Thank You

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.