Main reason for moving back?

Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main reason for moving back?

Originally Posted by mississippi
Totally agree with this posting. When we moved to Brisbane at the beginning of this century we were in the throes of the "California Syndrome" that is sunshine every bloody day - not just endless hours and days (and months) of sunshine but humidity that makes you sweat at 6:30am when you've just had your morning shower. Then you take the 10min stroll to the train station, in 29 degree heat and get attacked by the mozzies - on the way home a repeat, even more mozzies at dusk awaiting your virgin blood. I kind of think the weather man (and woman) is redundant in Brisbane, or at least should be a casual posting - only come on at the end of the news if it's not going to be sunny!

I know when we return to the UK in the next few months, we'll be endlessly bombarded with Brits asking us "why did we return". I think a lot of Brits are under the illusion (as you may well be) that Australia is a mini-England but with much better weather and beaches. Well I just want to let you know that it's not a little England, it probably has more in common with the US - it's a huge contintent but other than the coasts, there's not a lot to do in-between. The tv is crap - honestly, it is and I know you probably think, hey I'm coming here for the lifestyle not the tv, but when you don't have any good pubs and no daylight savings there's not a lot else to do.

I'm sure there's lots of people who love it here, all the Brits I know absolutely love it, they've been here for about 3-5 years and think it's great, but then they're all married to Aussies so they have some family here.

For me personally I just find it incredibly dull (I'm over the beach life and putting myself at risk of melanoma anytime I want to get my post from the mailbox) and it's very empty if you don't have any family here. And please give my English humour - thank god England has awful weather, it's created a population with the funniest (and sometimes warped) sense of humour on the planet!!!

I doubt these are enough reasons to put you off and I'm not trying to do that - you have to consider your own circumstances and reasons for wanting to make the journey and I wish you all the best. I know where there's a car for sale soon and a few large pieces of furniture...watch this space!
Fully agree after five years here in Perth we'd had enough of the beach etc...and Jumbo you really do hit the nail right (inch perfect) on the head certainly about Perth......!!!! it was raining really heavily this morning and on the freeway (that's about right, your free to do any kind of driving you like...(they should be called norulesfreeway!!!) and there are some complete nutcases out there...just sums up this place really!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Now that is seriously sick. What a prat!
Yep I know someone who has done that....also the otherway around the hubbie hates it the wife loves it.....he goes he never sees the children again........
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Have loads of faimly all over Melbourne, not exactly decided on where. Think it'll depend on where OH gets work, can stop with relatives until we get sorted. Also my sister may be out there before we get there, so could possibly want to be near to her?
When we've been in aus we've not sought out British food stuff and found fod shopping to be better than UK in some places! Don't want to recreate UK life, just want to do something different. I'm very much aware we'll be worse off when it comes to wages, but hopefully will be able to get on housing chain far quicker and cheaper than in UK (halifax now wanting average £30k + deposit on house, more than I earn in a year before tax , would take years and years for us to save that much)
Don't you think we all wanted to "live differently"? we came over here and wanted to live like the locals......sometimes life does not go to plan. Unless you come over with a lot of money you will also pay through the nose in an ordinary suburb for a decent home here in Aus...gone are the days of "cheap" homes. The sun is fine, some people love sunny back to back days, months of it....but you do have to be careful, I find a lot of people here age quicker due to being in the sun so much.......I wish you well and hope Aus is the place for you, I cannot say about Melbourne but here in Perth/W.A food is more expensive on the whole and the range of food is just not to the standard/choice of the U.K.......neither are clothes.....you will also have to have refs,deposit and work before you can a home here if you are having a mortage......
All the best
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi Aussie Bound

I have read all the posts here and I must say I agree with most of them.....love quolls, brit 1 and jumbo celcius rants the best. My story is sligthtly different....I moved to Aussie when I was 15 in 1973......I realy hated the place, moved there weith my family...my widowed mum was going to re marry. Ended uop moving back by myself at age 17....found it hard to live there and moved back to aussie(family had then moved to Perth) a year later.

Stayed in Perth for many years, had a sort of good life but the feelings of not belonging, boredom and wanting to get the hell out of there would constanly make me feel very homesick.

To cut a long story short, I married an English Rose and settled in UK(Greater Manchester) in 1989 and 7 years ago moved to the Isle of Man.

I have been out of Aussie now for nearly 20 years and miss my family a lot.....my mum, brother and sister all live in Perth area. My mum and brother have boomeranged that many times I am sure they could be in the Guiness book of records.

When quoll mentioned about her son leaving and not returning, that is what my nephew has done....he is a typicall Aussie surfer and left with his mate to do 12 months in the UK over nine years ago and is still in London, loving it, earning plenty of money and catching loads of cheap flights around the world.

The only advice I can give you, for what it is worth, is make a list of pros and cons about moving, and if you feel that you have to take the plunge dont burn all your bridges in the UK.

If you love the SUN and dont mind the isolation, lack of cuture etc it might work for you, but if you are posting on MBTUK site I guess that yiou already have reservations.

Have you thought about moving away but closer to the UK......we moved to the Isle of Man seven years ago and must say it is the best move we have ever made.....great way of life, super beaches, no unemployment, VERYLOW TAXES, and great public services......If you want to know more please let me know.

The only thing I miss abou Aussie is my family. The last time I was there three years ago I enjoyed the holiday but three weeks was more than enough for me and I was yearning to return to my little island in the Irish Sea.

In the meantime I hope everything works out for you and you make the right decision. Take Care.
Hi Isleofmanmike......how are you and your family? another thing why we are going back IS...................tonight on t.v NO.....and I mean...NO City v Chelsea game on fox here.........now that is a HUGE reason to be going home....we were so looking forward to it as with the new times zones it would of been an early (ish) kick off........
Hope you all have a good weekend......
Jackie in a rainy,cold (ish) Perth and loving it (the weather not Perth)
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:18 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I think Australia bound is taking a very intelligent approach.

If she is bright enough to enquire here (instead of on the 'everything is perfect in Australia' threads), then she is more likely to succeed if she does go.

At the risk of being trolled, my advice to her is this.

1. Find out what it is REALLY like out there.

2. Look at the UK and Australia with a jaundiced eye and no rose tinted specs, and remember What you want the most you must question the hardest.

3. If you can't integrate with the real Aus, don't go.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

I'm very much aware we'll be worse off when it comes to wages, but hopefully will be able to get on housing chain far quicker and cheaper than in UK (halifax now wanting average £30k + deposit on house, more than I earn in a year before tax , would take years and years for us to save that much)
Do be careful about the assumption that house prices are more affordable in Oz: http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...operty-prices/

They're nowhere near as affordable as they were a few years ago and all prices are at least comparable to UK prices... and the home loan interest rates are higher than UK mortgages... and wages lower. Strong Aussie dollar, comparatively weak pound = even more tricky to get a foot in the property door. There are some areas that aren't as bad as others, but prime locations such as Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth etc are all v.expensive.

Sarah
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:17 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by minihaha
Flipping heck, and there was me thinking it was because your hubby was away for weeks at a time and you missed your family and mates back home.

Sorry you wont miss much about it. Im sure you will find most of your things on your wont miss list are pretty much the same back home.

Dont look back in anger dude, look forward and enjoy planning the next exciting phase of your lives.

Id ask you to meet for a Timmies over the weekend but its on your list now so, mm can I treat you to a Starbucks instead.

Take it easy and if you need another pair of hands or a monkey sitter give me a shout.

x mrs minihaha x
THROW ME A BONE ME OLD MATE MINI!

I am trying (in desperation) to make the whole leaving thing seem a bit better. It's not really working.................

So anyway, better go get the aul fella and the kids sorted before the drive up to Calgary ()

And I have never been for a starbucks!
xxxx
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Don't you think we all wanted to "live differently"? we came over here and wanted to live like the locals......sometimes life does not go to plan. Unless you come over with a lot of money you will also pay through the nose in an ordinary suburb for a decent home here in Aus...gone are the days of "cheap" homes. The sun is fine, some people love sunny back to back days, months of it....but you do have to be careful, I find a lot of people here age quicker due to being in the sun so much.......I wish you well and hope Aus is the place for you, I cannot say about Melbourne but here in Perth/W.A food is more expensive on the whole and the range of food is just not to the standard/choice of the U.K.......neither are clothes.....you will also have to have refs,deposit and work before you can a home here if you are having a mortage......
All the best
Would depend on how you term different? Not criticizing people expectations of Aus, just wanting to know why it doesn't work for some.

Aussie homes far cheaper in some areas than where I currently live £200k + for a small 3 bed bungalow I'm currently renting. Could buy my Grandma's house in Aus (3 bed and bigger than one I have here around the same price in Au$, so less than half the price).
Can understand why prices are more in Perth as is very remote so must add to costs when transport is added on. Personally found food shopping decent in Aus in certain stores doesn't seem to be much agreement on that though.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Read thru the threads here. You'll see people bitching about the flies, the heat, the lack of culture, the insensitive male population, and so on.

They really aren't kidding. The flies and the heat will grind you down.

I'd love to know tho don't people build those mesh cages in Aus? When I see travel progs on Florida, they often have the pool and patio enclosed in a huge mesh cage like a conservatory to stop them being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Or do they have them in Aus?

The worst single thing IMO seems to be homesickness. The more closely you are bound to place, the harder it will be for you. ie, if you MUST eat English, would die for your football team and so on, the more likely I think you will be to suffer crushing homesickness.

Don't underestimate it. It positively oozes out of some people on this part of the board. (That isn't meant offensively btw.)
Old Apr 5th 2008, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Would depend on how you term different? Not criticizing people expectations of Aus, just wanting to know why it doesn't work for some.

Aussie homes far cheaper in some areas than where I currently live £200k + for a small 3 bed bungalow I'm currently renting. Could buy my Grandma's house in Aus (3 bed and bigger than one I have here around the same price in Au$, so less than half the price).
Can understand why prices are more in Perth as is very remote so must add to costs when transport is added on. Personally found food shopping decent in Aus in certain stores doesn't seem to be much agreement on that though.
I guess you would be getting your grandma's house at mates rates because there are not a lot of $200k homes around at the moment, unless you fancy a tiny little weatherboard out at Cabbage Tree Creek or something. Anything remotely suburban is well over that now. Unfortunately those areas with cheap housing are really not the places that most people (especially migrants) want to live - there is often not the job market out in the sticks that people need in order to pay their mortgage (higher interest rates too). Combine all that with relatively lower wages and there really isnt that much of a difference actually. It is getting nigh on impossible for young Australians to get on the property ladder these days.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Kat71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
I guess you would be getting your grandma's house at mates rates because there are not a lot of $200k homes around at the moment, unless you fancy a tiny little weatherboard out at Cabbage Tree Creek or something. Anything remotely suburban is well over that now. Unfortunately those areas with cheap housing are really not the places that most people (especially migrants) want to live - there is often not the job market out in the sticks that people need in order to pay their mortgage (higher interest rates too). Combine all that with relatively lower wages and there really isnt that much of a difference actually. It is getting nigh on impossible for young Australians to get on the property ladder these days.
I think people assume houses are cheaper here because of what you get for your money. Lets face it you cant get a 4 bedroomed detached house on 3/4 of an acre anywhere in the UK for the equivalant of $350K. You do get more bang for your buck here BUT yes interest rates are rising and things are getting harder for the average person. What you have to do when you come out here is STOP converting back to POUNDS and start living in $$$. Alot of people say well if i brought this at home it would cost this much or I'm earning this at that only equates to this in the UK.

What you dont have here is huge council taxes and fuel usage, petrol IS slightly cheaper here but you do travel more so get a comfy car. The cost of living here on the whole is cheaper so wages to reflect his. You will be able to do more with your money depending on where you live. Inner city is expensive Perth extremely expensive but if you are willing to live away from major cities then you will be OK.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
The sun is fine, some people love sunny back to back days, months of it....but you do have to be careful, I find a lot of people here age quicker due to being in the sun so much.......I
All the best

Yes, you hit the nail on the head with this one Brits1. When we went back to the UK last year for "the holiday" (that unexpectedly made us want to pack up sticks and return to the UK), we caught up with a lot of my OH's uncles and aunties, who were either turning 65 or had recently retired at 65, and honestly, I couldn't get over how young they all looked. I think here, people haven't aged as well, as it's due to the sun. Of course people are more aware now of that nice happy yellow blobby thing in the sky and what harm it can do, but it really is hard to live anywhere without going outside at all.

Another thing my OH said the other night, that made me laugh, was in Brisbane (where we live) there's not a pub on every corner here, oh no, instead on every corner you'll find a church. It's true, we've been here for almost 6 years and every suburb we've lived in has never had a "local" pub. When we up the coast to Buderim on a Sunday, wherever we saw lots of cars parked tended to be a church - and for a small community, there sure were a lot of churches.

Australia_bound - it sounds like you've decided to come, and it is good that you've braved this forum given that most of us are wanting to or are planning to return to the UK. I understand your draw card is family, and a different lifestyle, but as a couple of others have written, you might want a back-up plan as like many of us, you may find that Australia isn't utopia, and even though there are many things that appear better, I think it's balanced up - financial-wise. I think the houses are as expensive as most of the UK, and I think the cheaper houses may be in the rougher neighbourhoods, you might just have to do a lot of looking before you can find that "cheap" house.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Read thru the threads here. You'll see people bitching about the flies, the heat, the lack of culture, the insensitive male population, and so on.
Yep - and just because they're in this section of the site, doesn't necessarily mean they're all right.

Originally Posted by bil
They really aren't kidding. The flies and the heat will grind you down.
It's a big country - you don't have to live in the tropics with year-round 25+ temps. We get four seasons here - plenty of rain (more than the UK actually) - and despite the fact that it's quite a rural area, no huge problem with flies. And if you want a truly chilly winter, then there's the mountains or Tasmania to consider. You can't tar the whole country with the same brush, any more than you'd compare living in the highlands of Scotland with life in London.

Originally Posted by bil
I'd love to know tho don't people build those mesh cages in Aus? When I see travel progs on Florida, they often have the pool and patio enclosed in a huge mesh cage like a conservatory to stop them being eaten alive by mosquitoes.
Might be some need for them in the tropics - but a mossie lamp on a table if you're sitting outside is enough to deter them round here at the height of the season.

Originally Posted by bil
The worst single thing IMO seems to be homesickness. The more closely you are bound to place, the harder it will be for you. ie, if you MUST eat English, would die for your football team and so on, the more likely I think you will be to suffer crushing homesickness.
True.

Originally Posted by bil
Don't underestimate it. It positively oozes out of some people on this part of the board. (That isn't meant offensively btw.)
Yep - and I know where they're coming from. I lived in upstate New York for a couple of years and used to listen to the World Service every evening (pre-Internet days) to get my dose of Britishness. I remember reading about an ambulance strike in an imported copy of The Times and remember thinking - I can't believe I'm not in the country for that. An ambulance strike ffs! It hits you in funny ways does homesickness.

Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:29 am
bil
Banned

What has struck me here is that Australia sounds so much like America.

As for the heat and flies, I suppose that will depend where she wishes to go. If it's fly central, then it will be a consideration.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by bil
What has struck me here is that Australia sounds so much like America.

As for the heat and flies, I suppose that will depend where she wishes to go. If it's fly central, then it will be a consideration.
Where's fly central? Plenty here in Perth, the fly season seems to be all year round, not just Nov-Jan (which is pretty horrendous)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.