Location, location, location

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:32 pm
  #31  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
That photo... beautiful! And the write-up cetainly makes it sound appealing. Maybe we have something here.

Adding: http://www.quantockonline.co.uk/
Check Enmore and Spaxton:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32545205.html
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:51 pm
  #32  
BE Forum Addict
 
nethead's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,264
nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

My sister and family live in Dilton Marsh a village just outside of Westbury, Wilts. It's quite nice, although not my cup of tea. I would recommend Bradford on Avon, I love it there, has good rail/road links close to Bath and Bristol, and has some seriously good pubs with fab food. Although it can be expensive.
nethead is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:09 pm
  #33  
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 148
confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Location, location, location

I particularly like the area within the following triangle. Melksham, bradford on Avon, Bath and Corsham.

Some of the smaller villages nearer Melksham and Corsham are very beautiful:
Atworth, Shaw.
confusedenglishrose is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:23 pm
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by nethead View Post
My sister and family live in Dilton Marsh a village just outside of Westbury, Wilts. It's quite nice, although not my cup of tea. I would recommend Bradford on Avon, I love it there, has good rail/road links close to Bath and Bristol, and has some seriously good pubs with fab food. Although it can be expensive.
Found this in Dilton Marsh which seems ok, but the local, the King's Arms, appears to be a goner. Dilton Marsh is not my cup of tea either, by the look of it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Now I'll check Bradford on Avon!

I like this and the location:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-19254251.html

and this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-16925391.html

which has more character but is not as well located.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 19th 2011 at 7:42 pm. Reason: Bradford
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:27 pm
  #35  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 68
Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Hi,
I didn't want to hijack Fatcat's thread about Where to relocate to in the Uk so decided to start my own.
I spend copious amounts of time looking at books, Rightmove and the net but the more I look, the more confused I become.
Though it would be nice to be by the sea, there doesn't seem to be much left that's both picturesque, not resort-y and still accessible to other areas. I seem to keep coming back to areas around the Salisbury plain.
Edges of Salisbury would be great but I am not finding anything suitable in my price range.
I would like to be close to other artists, especially textile artists and was encouraged last night to find the Wylye valley art trail which links artists around that area.
I would like to find a character property with large garden area/land with studio space that has access to the coast (an hour's drive), Salisbury plain, rail links in a picturesque setting at a reasonable price < $200,000. I know... good luck! Right?
Any suggestions welcomed. Who has info about Warminster and surrrounding areas? Good villages, etc.? I like Marlborough as a town and have been enjoying the thread about Wiltshire villages.
I am very partial to the Cotswolds but it's pricey and would have to give up reasonable access to the coast, nevertheless...
I am beginning to feel that I am only going to find the right area by travelling around when I am there.
Anyway, just thought I would put this out there again.
Bandrui,

I'm off to Wiltshire tomorrow for my reccie and I'm visiting few of the places that have been recommend from my thread - "Where to live in Wiltshire". Like you will live (or pretty near you) on Vancouver Island and totally get about the expense of going on Ferry's and wanting to be able to just drive somewhere without going on one. I'll find a nice pub for you tomorrow and have a drink for you! What would you like? Already enjoyed two pubs in the Guildford area
Sazzer is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:27 pm
  #36  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 68
Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Hi,
I didn't want to hijack Fatcat's thread about Where to relocate to in the Uk so decided to start my own.
I spend copious amounts of time looking at books, Rightmove and the net but the more I look, the more confused I become.
Though it would be nice to be by the sea, there doesn't seem to be much left that's both picturesque, not resort-y and still accessible to other areas. I seem to keep coming back to areas around the Salisbury plain.
Edges of Salisbury would be great but I am not finding anything suitable in my price range.
I would like to be close to other artists, especially textile artists and was encouraged last night to find the Wylye valley art trail which links artists around that area.
I would like to find a character property with large garden area/land with studio space that has access to the coast (an hour's drive), Salisbury plain, rail links in a picturesque setting at a reasonable price < $200,000. I know... good luck! Right?
Any suggestions welcomed. Who has info about Warminster and surrrounding areas? Good villages, etc.? I like Marlborough as a town and have been enjoying the thread about Wiltshire villages.
I am very partial to the Cotswolds but it's pricey and would have to give up reasonable access to the coast, nevertheless...
I am beginning to feel that I am only going to find the right area by travelling around when I am there.
Anyway, just thought I would put this out there again.
Bandrui,

I'm off to Wiltshire tomorrow for my reccie and I'm visiting few of the places that have been recommend from my thread - "Where to live in Wiltshire". Like you will live (or pretty near you) on Vancouver Island and totally get about the expense of going on Ferry's and wanting to be able to just drive somewhere without going on one. I'll find a nice pub for you tomorrow and have a drink for you! What would you like? Already enjoyed two pubs in the Guildford area
Sazzer is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:47 am
  #37  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Sazzer View Post
Bandrui,

I'm off to Wiltshire tomorrow for my reccie and I'm visiting few of the places that have been recommend from my thread - "Where to live in Wiltshire". Like you will live (or pretty near you) on Vancouver Island and totally get about the expense of going on Ferry's and wanting to be able to just drive somewhere without going on one. I'll find a nice pub for you tomorrow and have a drink for you! What would you like? Already enjoyed two pubs in the Guildford area
I'll have a half of cider please! ... and then another 'cos it's been a rough day.
Did you say that you live on Vanc Island? Whereabouts?

Have a great day tomorrow. I am now really looking forward to your reccie report.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:54 am
  #38  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Re: Marlborough. Last trip to the Uk, I stayed part of the time with my cousin in Devizes (nice little town) and we did some exploring. When it came time to leave, I took the National Express bus to Heathrow, since Devizes has no rail station. It stopped for a while in Marlborough and I did a double take. I was thinking... "Hey. I like this place. How come I was staying down the road and never knew about it?" Great little shops with a difference. A real air of quality about it. I shall definitely go there on my next trip.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:11 am
  #39  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by sallysimmons View Post
The home finder I'll be using is not choosing the actual home for us. Just giving us more options than we could find online, and screening out any real 'dogs.' Then she'll have a list of properties for us to visit.

I think the real value of it for me is that I know the best houses are sold/rented before they ever go on the market. If I was in the UK, I could make relationships with all the estate agents and make sure they let me know when something is available, but from here I can't do that. That's what I want the home finder for.
I could see that it would be useful to have an "in" on new listings. Shall bear it in mind.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:16 am
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Thanks Pete. This is a really lovely property and I like the location of Enmore... close for those rail escapes if needed. It's missing a garden for me but the area is looking very good. I am hoping that I may get more for my money in this area.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:19 am
  #41  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by nethead View Post
My sister and family live in Dilton Marsh a village just outside of Westbury, Wilts. It's quite nice, although not my cup of tea. I would recommend Bradford on Avon, I love it there, has good rail/road links close to Bath and Bristol, and has some seriously good pubs with fab food. Although it can be expensive.
Sounds good. Definitely worth a further look. I love it... I am getting quite a list of new places to explore. If nothing else, I am getting a real geographical education on the South West.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:23 am
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose View Post
I particularly like the area within the following triangle. Melksham, bradford on Avon, Bath and Corsham.

Some of the smaller villages nearer Melksham and Corsham are very beautiful:
Atworth, Shaw.
Added to the list! You folks are wonderful. Thank you.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:33 am
  #43  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Found this in Dilton Marsh which seems ok, but the local, the King's Arms, appears to be a goner. Dilton Marsh is not my cup of tea either, by the look of it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Now I'll check Bradford on Avon!

I like this and the location:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-19254251.html

and this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-16925391.html

which has more character but is not as well located.
That last one has a nice feel to it. On the second one, not a real fan of the stainless steel which for me is a bit cold. It looks as if Bradford on Avon is worth exploring more. When I am checking properties, I often search for area+1 mile, then area+3 miles to see what gets brought in from the surrounding area.
This is fun.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:47 pm
  #44  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
Why don't you start a new thread with the SPECIFIC counties you are interested in, hell you could even start a new thread for each one!!!

When I was wondering about living near Heathrow and it may as well have been in China for all I know about that area, I started up a thread and it was surprising how many "locals" chipped in with their specialist insider knowledge, not something you can find out however much you google it. Do you have a timeframe in mind?

Good luck.
That's an excellent idea, Barb!

Heck, I am subscribed to over 60 threads now so a few more are fine with me
windsong is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:50 pm
  #45  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Thanks Pete. This is a really lovely property and I like the location of Enmore... close for those rail escapes if needed. It's missing a garden for me but the area is looking very good. I am hoping that I may get more for my money in this area.
That is a lovely little house. Somerset is absolutely beautiful. My dad lived there for 30 years and when I visited him there 12 years ago, I did not want to leave. It is absolutely gorgeous.
windsong is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.