Location, location, location

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:18 am
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Thanks Mallory, I shall take a look! It will be at my outer limits of how far West I want to be. I LOVE that area and Cornwall but if I am more central within the South, it opens up so many more options for day trips etc.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:54 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Nashville,TN
Posts: 80
flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Thanks Mallory, I shall take a look! It will be at my outer limits of how far West I want to be. I LOVE that area and Cornwall but if I am more central within the South, it opens up so many more options for day trips etc.
Have u thought about the Isle of Wight ? I loved living there !
flbrit59 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:56 am
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by flbrit59 View Post
Have u thought about the Isle of Wight ? I loved living there !
I'm sure that I would love it too but I am living on an island right now and it gets quite expensive to go back and forth on the ferry so thought I'd try having access to roads for a while. But thanks for the suggestion. Keep 'em coming.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:43 am
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
Why don't you start a new thread with the SPECIFIC counties you are interested in, hell you could even start a new thread for each one!!!

When I was wondering about living near Heathrow and it may as well have been in China for all I know about that area, I started up a thread and it was surprising how many "locals" chipped in with their specialist insider knowledge, not something you can find out however much you google it. Do you have a timeframe in mind?

Good luck.
You're right. I probably should have titled this differently, but I'll see it through and if it dies I'll open up a new one for specific areas.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:23 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
You're right. I probably should have titled this differently, but I'll see it through and if it dies I'll open up a new one for specific areas.
sallysimmons raised the issue of using a Phil Spencer-style homesearch/homefinder service the other day. She has found one for the Lake District which charges just 1% of the property value or 10% of the savings between asking and accepted offer, whichever is higher. Those rates seem good and low and I'm not sure that they are attainable UK-wide where I've seen 2 1/2% before, however, it may be feasible for you to consider the services of such an entity. My only concern is that the websites I have seen so far seem to be directed at the TOP end of the market, however there is no harm in checking as you will most likely need to get an inside track on your property in order to get something decent at around your budget in the areas you are looking due to your very specific needs.

Typically, if you give your home finder very clear instructions at the get-go they will have a much better idea as to the task in hand and you should be able to negotiate a decent quote for their cut.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 12:35 pm
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
I would like to be within 4-5miles of a rail station, perhaps even a little more. Yes, London (my favourite city), but also to other places for family, vacations, etc. although realistically I have found, by living on the island, that I am a bit of a home-body. I would like to be reasonably close to a market town though and also want to be able to get to Worcester for family research.
Unlike some of the others, I cannot imagine life without a car. Not to get groceries, etc. but to take off and explore the countryside which is often very difficult with public transportation. I have tried this both ways in the UK... by car and by public transport.
Oh, and I want to be within a mile of a pub so that I can go for a drink, a little social life, and walk home .
These are important features of a plan which allow for value (due to not being easily-commutable to anywhere) but quality of life. Of course the car is there if you can afford it and each to their own.

I have a copy of Kent Pub Walks which I have there to remind me that walking to and from the pub and the social side of it is a must-have in my retirement life-style. I must have access to country walks from my abode.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:45 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
These are important features of a plan which allow for value (due to not being easily-commutable to anywhere) but quality of life. Of course the car is there if you can afford it and each to their own.

I have a copy of Kent Pub Walks which I have there to remind me that walking to and from the pub and the social side of it is a must-have in my retirement life-style. I must have access to country walks from my abode.
The value idea can be a double-edged sword. I would want a property I buy to have good resale value, just in case I change my mind at some point.

Yes, quality of life is the important thing here. One of the things that I have really missed about England are the pubs... not because I am a heavy drinker, which I am not, but because they offer a unique environment that I have not seen duplicated anywhere else.
I found a property that had potential in Stour Row, near Shaftesbury, Dorset but it must have been the only village in the UK without a pub. I don't have the book you mention but I have a copy of Britain's 500 Best Pubs which has some pub walks.
Pub walks aside, I too must have access to country walks. Each time I go to the UK, I walk for miles in the countryside and hope to do much more of that. Walking the Cotswold Way and the Kerry Ridgeway appeal to me.

The home finder is not a service that I could see myself using, both because I would find it difficult to give hard and fast criteria and because, even when just looking at places online, I know whether it has the right "feeling" about it for me, something that I could never describe to an agent. I am a gut feel kind of person and that can overrule some of the other criteria, plus I like to allow synchronicity to play a part.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:06 pm
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
The value idea can be a double-edged sword. I would want a property I buy to have good resale value, just in case I change my mind at some point.

Yes, quality of life is the important thing here. One of the things that I have really missed about England are the pubs... not because I am a heavy drinker, which I am not, but because they offer a unique environment that I have not seen duplicated anywhere else.
I found a property that had potential in Stour Row, near Shaftesbury, Dorset but it must have been the only village in the UK without a pub. I don't have the book you mention but I have a copy of Britain's 500 Best Pubs which has some pub walks.
Pub walks aside, I too must have access to country walks. Each time I go to the UK, I walk for miles in the countryside and hope to do much more of that. Walking the Cotswold Way and the Kerry Ridgeway appeal to me.

The home finder is not a service that I could see myself using, both because I would find it difficult to give hard and fast criteria and because, even when just looking at places online, I know whether it has the right "feeling" about it for me, something that I could never describe to an agent. I am a gut feel kind of person and that can overrule some of the other criteria, plus I like to allow synchronicity to play a part.
Fair dinkum!
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:38 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

I have realised that another thing I am looking for is rolling hillside. I suppose it won't be too good for cycling (for me anyway) but it has so much more visual appeal.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:51 pm
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Dorset England.
Posts: 676
Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
I have realised that another thing I am looking for is rolling hillside. I suppose it won't be too good for cycling (for me anyway) but it has so much more visual appeal.
Dorset has to be calling your name right ?

Don't think you should contemplate Norfolk/Suffolk after all ...I am finding your quest very interesting BTW
Gabgoeshome is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:15 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
I have realised that another thing I am looking for is rolling hillside. I suppose it won't be too good for cycling (for me anyway) but it has so much more visual appeal.
Have been thinking of the Vale of the White Horse for you and the area around Uffington Wilts, but it looks a bit pricey. Do you know of Candida Lycett Green (John Betjeman's daughter)? She lives there. Funnily enough she writes about English country life.

Rolling hillsides also exist in the area around Cerne Abbas in Dorset but the Cerne Giant can be intimidating.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:40 pm
  #27  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Have been thinking of the Vale of the White Horse for you and the area around Uffington Wilts, but it looks a bit pricey. Do you know of Candida Lycett Green (John Betjeman's daughter)? She lives there. Funnily enough she writes about English country life.

Rolling hillsides also exist in the area around Cerne Abbas in Dorset but the Cerne Giant can be intimidating.
Had a very enjoyable cider at the White Horse pub in Uffington last trip. Yes, liked the area. No, haven't heard of C.L.G. Is she a poet too? I like her topic!

Speaking of poets, Pete, and hills, Gab, I was reading about Wordsworth's Quantock Hills and my thinking is, if he can write so eloquently about that countryside, it can't be bad, right? Was it you who suggested Taunton, Gab, at the edge of the Quantocks? I live to research. Seriously, I love researching... anything. I wonder if I can get a job as a researcher for someone in the UK?

I shall look into Cerne Abbas too. I don't think the Giant would bother me at all.

p.s It's good to laugh after this past day.

Last edited by bandrui; Apr 19th 2011 at 4:42 pm.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:46 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Had a very enjoyable cider at the White Horse pub in Uffington last trip. Yes, liked the area. No, haven't heard of C.L.G. Is she a poet too? I like her topic!

Speaking of poets, Pete, and hills, Gab, I was reading about Wordsworth's Quantock Hills and my thinking is, if he can write so eloquently about that countryside, it can't be bad, right? Was it you who suggested Taunton, Gab, at the edge of the Quantocks? I live to research. Seriously, I love researching... anything. I wonder if I can get a job as a researcher for someone in the UK?

I shall look into Cerne Abbas too. I don't think the Giant would bother me at all.

p.s It's good to laugh after this past day.
Think CLG is just a writer.

Check this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...et?INTCMP=SRCH

Note that a nuclear power station is on the north side of the Quantocks but a fairly safe distance away if actually residing in the Quantocks.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...f&mapp=map.srf

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 19th 2011 at 4:58 pm. Reason: hinkley point
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:58 pm
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Think CLG is just a writer.

Check this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...et?INTCMP=SRCH
That photo... beautiful! And the write-up cetainly makes it sound appealing. Maybe we have something here.

Adding: http://www.quantockonline.co.uk/
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:28 pm
  #30  
Finally Home!
 
sallysimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Used to be New York, now North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,610
sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
The home finder is not a service that I could see myself using, both because I would find it difficult to give hard and fast criteria and because, even when just looking at places online, I know whether it has the right "feeling" about it for me, something that I could never describe to an agent. I am a gut feel kind of person and that can overrule some of the other criteria, plus I like to allow synchronicity to play a part.
The home finder I'll be using is not choosing the actual home for us. Just giving us more options than we could find online, and screening out any real 'dogs.' Then she'll have a list of properties for us to visit.

I think the real value of it for me is that I know the best houses are sold/rented before they ever go on the market. If I was in the UK, I could make relationships with all the estate agents and make sure they let me know when something is available, but from here I can't do that. That's what I want the home finder for.
sallysimmons is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.