Just how bad is it in the UK??

Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:59 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how bad is it in the UK??

It would be interesting to find out the age group of some of the more negative posters. The current Y generation have never been through a recession before so they have no idea how to cope with it or what to expect and they really do think it's the end of the world.
Try telling them it's a cycle through which we all have to come through, and it's like getting your head shot off.

Lucky they keep missing me.

Sad though, they really don't know how to cope with it because they haven't yet known a tough time.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bevm
Australia has lots of natural resources, but it has an extreme water problem, plus it's expensive to get its exports to many places.
Agreed about the water, the amount of flooding that we have is really bad. We need someway to drain all the excess water away...

I disagree with the expense to move the exports, our main export market is to Japan and China, which aren't too far away.
In comparison the UK's main export market is the USA.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:52 am
Banned

Umpatan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Agreed, if you are willing to go out of your narrow ideas of what you should do theres work.
California is hit really bad, we are over 10% unemployment now and that doesn't count people who have fallen off the rolls due to their unemployment expiring, or those who have taken low pay part time just to get some money coming in. Middle class families falling behind on the house payment and loosing the house is in everywhere including my neighborhood.
At least there is a better back up system if you live in the UK, here you get to live in your car (if it isn't repo'ed)or a tent under the freeway (till the cops come and move everyone on)
UK is still tops in my book
You can live in your car in Vancouver as well. But you have to park in certain places.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:54 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Umpatan
You can live in your car in Vancouver as well. But you have to park in certain places.
Sikh temple car parks are generally safe.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I disagree with the expense to move the exports, our main export market is to Japan and China, which aren't too far away.
In comparison the UK's main export market is the USA.
The UK is closer to the US than Australia is to Japan.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

London Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Well....the Simpsons are about a family of very dysfunctional people.
have read some of your threads on here and you are quite witty especially liked the England too expensive thread
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Exile
The UK is closer to the US than Australia is to Japan.
It is actually suprisingly further than I thought...

The total distance from:
Hong Kong to Darwin, Australia is 2,640 miles
Tokyo, Japan to Darwin, Australia is 3,363 miles
New York, NY to Southampton, United Kingdom is 3,431 miles.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:28 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is actually suprisingly further than I thought...

The total distance from:
Hong Kong to Darwin, Australia is 2,640 miles
Tokyo, Japan to Darwin, Australia is 3,363 miles
New York, NY to Southampton, United Kingdom is 3,431 miles.
since Darwin isn't really a major port a more relevant comparison would be Sydney to Tokyo: about 4,700 miles
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:32 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Pete
have read some of your threads on here and you are quite witty especially liked the England too expensive thread
As Geddy Lee once sang "Catch the witness, catch the wit, catch the spirit, catch the spit"
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brisben
I don't disagree with your opinion of the UK. I didn't leave that long ago. I know your county very well.

"UK does have jobs. UK does have prospects. It also has a future."

"but you opinions and views are not based on the whole of the british society only the fraction and world you personally live within."

Well I would love to agree with you on that one, except I am sure that the good people who used to work at the 807 branches of woolworths before they got closed down at christmas would have difficulty agreeing, also the 1,060 people who lost their jobs this weekend at Land of Leather, or 367 jobs that went at Waterford Wedgewood, or 684 people at JCB, or the 4,200 people who have been laid off until June 1st from Honda, or the 1,800 jobs lost at Jaguar Land Rover, I could go on.

Those of us that still have jobs can easily close our eyes to all this and say well I'm ok because my mortgage is costing me less, or we can delight in the number of bargains to be had in the closing down sales, or think that there is nothing to worry about because it's not my fraction of the world.

Well this is very much a part of the world that many people live in today, and telling people who are living this nightmare that there are loads of jobs is just madness.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very similar to what is happening in Australia then
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
Sounds very similar to what is happening in Australia then
I am very sorry to hear that Grayling, I hope that things pick up sooner rather than later for all concerned no matter where they are.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:08 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Well I would love to agree with you on that one, except I am sure that the good people who used to work at the 807 branches of woolworths before they got closed down at christmas would have difficulty agreeing, also the 1,060 people who lost their jobs this weekend at Land of Leather, or 367 jobs that went at Waterford Wedgewood, or 684 people at JCB, or the 4,200 people who have been laid off until June 1st from Honda, or the 1,800 jobs lost at Jaguar Land Rover, I could go on.

Those of us that still have jobs can easily close our eyes to all this and say well I'm ok because my mortgage is costing me less, or we can delight in the number of bargains to be had in the closing down sales, or think that there is nothing to worry about because it's not my fraction of the world.

Well this is very much a part of the world that many people live in today, and telling people who are living this nightmare that there are loads of jobs is just madness.

The world leaders are all stating that it is the worst financial crisis in history so it is happening everywhere, not just the UK. BUT.........one of the reasons it's having so much effect and the reason why it's happened so fast is because people's spending levels are out of control.
10 or 20 years ago, we all went through recessions but many of that earlier generation did not have the debt that this generation have. Why do they have that debt? Because they accepted invitations to borrow far more than they were earning.

No one is disagreeing that things are not bad but there is a future and there are jobs if you are prepared to step outside your comfort zone and do something that might not be your choice but will at least pay the bills.
The mortgage rate has come down dramatically but it's not paying the mortgage that's the problem. It's paying store cards, credit cards, car loans, personal loans and other loans that's causing the problem. The real problem is that if those same people lose their job, they also lose the debt because they can't pay it. It then falls into one big black hole and has to be paid back by those who are working, have never borrowed beyond their means and who have saved.
Those people are now paying for the greed of others. It will be sorted out in the end but it had to happen, it has and now we've all got to get through it regardless of whether we are in the UK, US or Australia. That's just how it is.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricket1
The world leaders are all stating that it is the worst financial crisis in history so it is happening everywhere, not just the UK. BUT.........one of the reasons it's having so much effect and the reason why it's happened so fast is because people's spending levels are out of control.
10 or 20 years ago, we all went through recessions but many of that earlier generation did not have the debt that this generation have. Why do they have that debt? Because they accepted invitations to borrow far more than they were earning.

No one is disagreeing that things are not bad but there is a future and there are jobs if you are prepared to step outside your comfort zone and do something that might not be your choice but will at least pay the bills.
The mortgage rate has come down dramatically but it's not paying the mortgage that's the problem. It's paying store cards, credit cards, car loans, personal loans and other loans that's causing the problem. The real problem is that if those same people lose their job, they also lose the debt because they can't pay it. It then falls into one big black hole and has to be paid back by those who are working, have never borrowed beyond their means and who have saved.
Those people are now paying for the greed of others. It will be sorted out in the end but it had to happen, it has and now we've all got to get through it regardless of whether we are in the UK, US or Australia. That's just how it is.

The original OP asked "just how bad is it in the UK??"

I am not comparing the UK to Australia, or USA or Canada, i am just telling him that all is not rosy in the UK. That is what he is asking.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

think the reason why we feel it is a lot worse this time is because of globalization.in 1990s no real info from other countries except a few lines in the main papers .with the way we communicate around the world today compared to 10 years ago via fax,phone,internet,satelite etc its instant. the newspapers etc have to keep themselves a float and so do the journalist,so they write as much as possible to almost saturation point.dont you think that factories,shops, steel works,coal mines etc didnt close down or shed jobs in the 1990s?(it was called retrenchment if i can remember correctly).i feel for people losing their jobs,homes etc but sadly when things like this happen there will always be winners and loosers.but i do think the british are very prone to the "woe is me"attitude.also a lot of people in both australia and uk bought a second property,bought shares,big cars etc.in the 1980s this would have been unheard of.only for the rich not joe blog down the street.we will go back to having a house that is our home not a quick way of making a big profit.trading our cars less than we have etc.
i do agree with cricket in her saying that we will get over this but will our countries /people learn the lesson? maybe for a few years and then it will be forgotten about when things turn good.at least in uk and australia you are provided with govement assistance,retraining,help with rent etc.oh and we are still moving back to uk sometime this year after 18 years in australia,self funded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.