British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Just how bad is it in the UK?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/just-how-bad-uk-594872/)

65 million Mar 2nd 2009 1:55 am

Just how bad is it in the UK??

Hi all,

Is it really as bad as the on-line papers are saying in the UK? Have house prices really taken a big hit? How long is it taking you to sell?
Been here for four years now. Part of me would like to go back.

Thanks 65KK

kporte Mar 2nd 2009 1:57 am

Re: Just how bad is it in the UK??

Originally Posted by 65 million (Post 7336092)
Hi all,

Is it really as bad as the on-line papers are saying in the UK? Have house prices really taken a big hit? How long is it taking you to sell?

Thanks 65KK

They won't let unaccompanied body parts on the aircraft, all of you will have to go

spartacus Mar 2nd 2009 2:01 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 7336096)
They won't let unaccompanied body parts on the aircraft, all of you will have to go

:lol:

You are a very silly man . . . and I like you!

ABCDiamond Mar 2nd 2009 2:21 am

That's quick thinking :rofl:

Hutch Mar 2nd 2009 2:35 am

Hi all,

Thanks 65KK

Surely if you're thinking of going back it doesn't matter how long they're taking to sell, since you'll be buying?

Brisben Mar 2nd 2009 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7336157)
Surely if you're thinking of going back it doesn't matter how long they're taking to sell, since you'll be buying?

I think you missed the point, I presume you were getting at the recession and how it is affecting the UK.(No offence Hutch:))

OP did you not find what you came here for ?

RobertC Mar 2nd 2009 10:00 am

We're just on our way out of the UK, house sold in 3 days for virtually the full asking price and car sold in 3 days too. I guess we were lucky but there are still buyers around for the right property even though the official figures show fewer transactions taking place.

The housing price drop is partly due to the reduced number of sales, only those that have to sell are selling and they are accepting lower offers so the market appears to be falling fast. The people that don't have to sell are waiting or putting their houses up for rent instead (actually the rental market is now flooded and rental incomes dropping because of this). I suspect the housing market will recover fairly quickly once the economy stabilises.

Jobs are currently being cut all over the UK but mostly for non skilled workers or for companies that were strugling before the recession and have now folded. There are certainly fewer jobs about but if you have the right skills then you will find work, I guess this is true in all countries though.

If you are coming back to the UK then its probably a good time to buy a house if you have the funds though.

Capt Emz I Think Mar 2nd 2009 6:29 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that really tickled me!!!!

charlie rara Mar 2nd 2009 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobertC (Post 7337120)
We're just on our way out of the UK, house sold in 3 days for virtually the full asking price and car sold in 3 days too. I guess we were lucky but there are still buyers around for the right property even though the official figures show fewer transactions taking place.

The housing price drop is partly due to the reduced number of sales, only those that have to sell are selling and they are accepting lower offers so the market appears to be falling fast. The people that don't have to sell are waiting or putting their houses up for rent instead (actually the rental market is now flooded and rental incomes dropping because of this). I suspect the housing market will recover fairly quickly once the economy stabilises.

Jobs are currently being cut all over the UK but mostly for non skilled workers or for companies that were strugling before the recession and have now folded. There are certainly fewer jobs about but if you have the right skills then you will find work, I guess this is true in all countries though.

If you are coming back to the UK then its probably a good time to buy a house if you have the funds though.

apart from plumbers/carpenters/brickies/decorators/roofers/and everybody else tied into the building trade.
the only people doing any good is footy players ( £150,000 per week :thumbup:)

dinner-dash Mar 2nd 2009 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by charlie rara (Post 7338555)
apart from plumbers/carpenters/brickies/decorators/roofers/and everybody else tied into the building trade.
the only people doing any good is footy players ( £150,000 per week :thumbup:)

Decorators.......where in australia are they in demand. not up the gold coast for sure

Brisben Mar 3rd 2009 2:22 am

Originally Posted by dinner-dash (Post 7338786)
Decorators.......where in australia are they in demand. not up the gold coast for sure

Good ones are:lol:

Three Legs Mar 3rd 2009 4:37 am

... *applauds* ...

Oz wannabe1 Mar 3rd 2009 10:48 am

Hi all,

Thanks 65KK

Which ever part of you wants to come back here have it removed if it isnt life threatening!!!:eek:
The papers only tell part of the story the reality of living it is a nightmare. There is nothing but bad news every day.:curse:
I cannot wait for June 09 when I will finally put this country behind me:thumbsup:

Katmac Mar 3rd 2009 11:03 am

I agree when was the last time the papers gave the Uk population something to smile about!!!
Just watched the forecast snow again next week... :curse:

Have the op get it removed save yourself ha ha

Kapri Mar 3rd 2009 11:45 am

I think it really depends what profession you are in.
If you can get work then everything will be fine :)