Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:45 am
Banned

uklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant futureuklover has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Originally Posted by steals
nice coming from a no knob with 4 posts

steals,

dear young chap or chapess,

my posts may only be 4, my knob presence irrelevant.

why do you frequent here with such non momentous drivel, why afford me the time with a PM that contains the magnificent one word content..."wanker"...

is this really your best offering? is this what you take pride in when displaying your words of nonsense and inanity to the forum? or is it a way of getting off for you..a reason why you PM such singular vocabulary?

you poor, sad , lost soul.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:13 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

lol..... I have to say he sounds like a sad lost troll..!!!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Dont Do It Its An Overcrowded Overpriced S@@t Hole You Will Be Sorry You Went Back :d
what i find amusing is that someone can join a thread without having any consideration for the tone of it. this was a nice thread without any crap like the above written in such a way. perhaps maybe you should learn some social skills...to pick up on how the thread is going...
then, some of us might take what you say seriously
c
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

It has been fantastic reading 99.9% of the posts on this thread. Lots of great info and advice and of course people's experiences. It has certainly helped me to make up my own mind with regards to making a decision.

Anyway the decision is..........................

We have decided to move back home, the house is on the market and we have already made an offer on a property in the U.K. (still waiting to hear).

I am trying with difficulty not to think about the good things in the U.K. too much as I don't want to come crashing down to earth with a bang since I know that it is not all sunshine and roses (not to be taken literally) but then neither is Oz.

I have enjoyed the time that we've spent in this beautiful country and I will definitely come back one day for a holiday but for now I think it's time to go home.

Hopefully the house won't take too long to sell and then we can pack our bags and go home!

I have really appreciated and enjoyed the posts on this thread, thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:19 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PADDAD
:
We have met a number of people and have got involved in some organisations but we haven't 'really' gelled with anyone - I know this takes time but from what I gather from reading this forum it isn't unusual to feel this way even after 5 years of living here.
I have lived in OZ since the mid 90's (most of it in Perth, but have travelled around and lived in diff states). I think the problem here is really one of how Australians are on a social level. They seem to prefer staying in 'cliques' that consit of people they have known since schooldays. Not in itself uncommon, but what is is that they don't really extend the openess and hospitality on an ongoing manner that is required in developing new friendships.

It's as though they have no real interest in making new friends unless they see it as somehow advantageous to themselves. This in my experience is miles away from the view and behaviour of Brits and fellow Kiwis. Australians are more preoccupied with 'their own little world". I am better off here financially I spose than in NZ, but in NZ I at least had a real feeling of having a life.

This is why I will either return there to live or move to the UK once I have finished my university studies. The greatest of scenery, space and financial wellbeing can never be a substitute for genuine human interaction and valuing and enjoying the company of others and vice-versa. Good luck deciding. Have you thought of trying NZ for a year maybe and seeing how that goes?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I have lived in OZ since the mid 90's (most of it in Perth, but have travelled around and lived in diff states). I think the problem here is really one of how Australians are on a social level. They seem to prefer staying in 'cliques' that consit of people they have known since schooldays. Not in itself uncommon, but what is is that they don't really extend the openess and hospitality on an ongoing manner that is required in developing new friendships.

It's as though they have no real interest in making new friends unless they see it as somehow advantageous to themselves. This in my experience is miles away from the view and behaviour of Brits and fellow Kiwis. Australians are more preoccupied with 'their own little world". I am better off here financially I spose than in NZ, but in NZ I at least had a real feeling of having a life.

This is why I will either return there to live or move to the UK once I have finished my university studies. The greatest of scenery, space and financial wellbeing can never be a substitute for genuine human interaction and valuing and enjoying the company of others and vice-versa. Good luck deciding. Have you thought of trying NZ for a year maybe and seeing how that goes?
Huge generalization I know, but this does fit perfectly with my experience in 22 months of living in Perth's suburbia. We have had several neighbours move in during this time, and in some cases they seem to make no effort to communicate at all. The house is just a place into which they retreat at the end of the day to seal themselves off from the outside world. They have their already established world, often centering around religious groups, and that's it -- don't need anyone else.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Boy Oh Boy
Am i glad we left Saskatchewan when we did, all i can do as a Brit is apologise to the Canadians that your having to put up with some of the mindless idiots us British are more than glad to get rid of, can't see the Canadians wanting you there for long with an insulting attitude like that mate!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

willo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the roughwillo is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Done that been there, think you need to do what ever it takes....Our situation was similar but i will warn you after two months of returning we knew we had made a terrible mistake, we then have since sold up again!!! after two years back in uk and returned to sunshine coast where this time we know were we want to be. It did take that return to uk to put things in perspective though. Good luck with decision
Originally Posted by PADDAD
Thanks for your advice everyone!

Sometimes it really helps to bounce these questions off people who are in the same boat - it is consoling to feel 'normal'.

I am beginning to feel that it is the people you love and care about who make you happy and not inanimite (ooh did I spell inanimite right?) objects like beautiful homes and things, those 'things' give the illussion of happiness but at the end of the day it's people that count.

Perhaps it's this shallow side of me that is confusing the issue. I think I know deep down that what I really want is to return to the U.K. and grow old with people that I really care about. Besides it's my 40th next Aug and I want a big party which really isn't going to happen here since I don't know many people.

So next thing on the list would be to get hubby on the same wave length (he is currently confused)...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:01 pm
Banned

steals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant futuresteals has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shelly1
Boy Oh Boy
Am i glad we left Saskatchewan when we did, all i can do as a Brit is apologise to the Canadians that your having to put up with some of the mindless idiots us British are more than glad to get rid of, can't see the Canadians wanting you there for long with an insulting attitude like that mate!!!!!!!!
im glad you left as well read youre posts and i saw you couldnt hack it then want to go back and sponge housing etc canada is better off without you you post stuff and dont even get facts right im not suprised you cant manage
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:08 am
Stuck in time!

Ozwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant futureOzwells has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
It certainly feels to us that now we have citizenship it is crunch time...

The exchange rate isn't too bad at the moment and whilst our children are loving it here, they are still young enough to painlessly make the transition back to the UK way of life (hopefully).

However, this seems to be a harder decision than it was to come here - and believe me that wasn't easy.

After we had been here six months we were all set to return but decided to stick it out for at least a couple of years for the following reasons:

a) Achieve citizenship

b) After all the effort and turmoil of making the move in the first place we felt as everyone at the time suggested, that we needed to give it more time.

My biggest fear at the time was becoming "trapped" here and at the moment that is exactly how I feel.

I do know the longer we stay, the harder it will be to return.
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have just logged on (wish I had found this site before emigrating!) Reading your posting really struck a cord as it's the same dilemma we face. Took 3 years in the UK to sell our house (buyers falling through, etc) was so excited about getting out here didn't really stop to think of the implications, homesickness, etc. Anyway have only been here 3 months but want to go home. Feel the same way now as I did 2 weeks after arriving, people are saying to give in 2 years, etc but I can't see how feelings will change. Also money from selling the house is still in the UK and as we haven't been gone long it'll be easier to get back on the property ladder than if we waited 2 years. Originally we were from London and then spent the last 5 years in Windsor, Berkshire so are used to a 'lively' lifestyle choice of pubs, bars, good shopping, plenty to do, etc. We thought we wanted a laid back beach lifestyle for us and kids, but sorry find Perth too dull, funny when you have beautiful beaches on your doorstep it's not a novelty anymore! Kids are young enough not to be affected. Can't believe I've turned into a winging Pom!! In your posting you said you wanted to go after 6 months, are you glad you stayed to get citizenship or looking back would you have preferred to have gone back after 6 months? Would appreciate any advice!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

WEll guys,here goes.....
1. Take a family meeting thrashing out pros and cons as described in earlier posts
2 Take some time out for a family trip back & see how you all feel(weve been in Perth 3 yrs today!!!,and have been home once.Whilst flying over Yorkshire I looked down from the plane window and felt "Great,Im "HOME" ".The green fields,undulating hills and when we landed we just felt like we'd never been away,I relished my BBC,good humour of folk,architecture-stone Victorian buildings,a good cuppa,REAL soil and gardens that actually grow things!!!!but it was wierd not having any home to actually go to!! When flying back to Perth on the last bit of the flight I was sitting in the window seat looking west over the Indian Ocean,when my husband looked at me and said "tell me how you feel"-I looked out of the window and at my watch and said Its 6.10pm the sun is setting and the land is brown ,flat and dry!!!! (I think he didnt expect that ,but in my heart I felt kind of "flat"and uninspired) Of course I was glad to get back to my house in Perth,its very comfortable,and we dont live above our means,so we are in an equal situation beingto the UK.
However I will say this ,that if you are going to move here with all the upheaval that it entails,stop and think wether you dont really just need to adjust your UK situation or lifestyle/jobs FIRST! We wish with hindsight that we had moved house and I should have cut my work hrs and maybe we should have holidayed here first,instead of moving to the other side of the globe(talk about taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut) but at the time we could truly NOT see the wood for the trees,so to speak.We may go back soon,and with house prices rising here,we wont be any worse off and will have had an "adventure".
3. I personally think you have to go with your "gut" instincts,when people think theres something "missing" there probably is and you just cant put your finger on exactly what it is,which is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!
4 Looking in www.rightmove.co.uk could help you to see how houses fare OR rent modestly in UK for 1 year whilst renting Australian home and taking 1year "leave without pay" from Aus jobs,then instruct to sell if you can do 4 seasons at home-then youve "edged your bets" Good Luck to you all
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

im glad you left as well read youre posts and i saw you couldnt hack it then want to go back and sponge housing etc canada is better off without you you post stuff and dont even get facts right im not suprised you cant manage
Im surprised you have time to post any replies on this forum you having the the perfect busy little life you make out to have
Reading between the lines i would say you feel exactly how we did but not man enough to admit it
OOOOOHHHHH sorry have i hit a raw nerve?????
i would have thought even the likes of you would know the difference between not being able to hack it, and not wanting to
Whats matter Not jelous are you???????? that We're back home not.... never mind i'm sure you'll be joing us returnee''s soon.
all my love as always
shelly x
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

IrishInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

As an Irish Australian who migrated to Australia over 40 years ago, I've been browsing through the Threads on 'How do you reach a decision to return to the UK?' and I find it all very sad.

Why?, because they are the writings of people who have failed.

Don't blame Australia or its people for your failure. This country was founded and built by migrants who withstood a lot more than homesickness, or not being able to shop at Sainsburys. They stayed, contributed to the growth and defence of Australia, built successful lives for themselves and families and throughout the generations made this great nation what it is today.

Maybe that is why we are so patriotic.

If Australia is so bad, why are there queues of people in Australia House, London waiting for their visa applications to be processed and spending fortunes on Migration Agents to assist them in their applications.

Some of the reasons given for your failure to settle in Australia are pathetic and you are blaming every thing and everyone but your own inability to adapt to the Australian ways.

Sure, there are parts of Australia that I would not like to live. I don't particularly like tropical climates, lying on the beach or living in big cities, so I don't live there. I live in a area of Australia where it gets cold in winter, sometimes there are three seasons in one day, the grass is green for most of the year and we are surrounded by hills, valleys, glens, native forests, flora and fauna. I can buy wine from the man who grows the grape and I can pick spuds and vegies from the nearby paddocks.

I can sit by an open fire in winter or go for a swim in the summer.

So, if you don't like where you live in Australia, then move to another part!

Anyhow, at least one thing hasn't changed over the years, we used to get boat loads of Whinging Poms, now be just get plane loads of them.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrishPost

If Australia is so bad, why are there queues of people in Australia House, London waiting for their visa applications to be processed and spending fortunes on Migration Agents to assist them in their applications.

Some of the reasons given for your failure to settle in Australia are pathetic and you are blaming every thing and everyone but your own inability to adapt to the Australian ways.
Part of the answer to your first question is that the popular media put so much effort sending out the message "UK bad, Oz good ... UK bad, Oz good ...."

(That is part tongue in cheek, but also largely serious).

I hear what you are saying in your second part, but I'm not sure many of these things are really the reasons why people are leaving Oz. I read posts from a lot of people who went there because they had this image of Oz (and of the UK, see comment on popular media), and did not realize until they got there that Oz won't solve the problems you preceived you had in the UK. Plus, they weren't prepared for the heartwrenching effect of being so far from parents, grandparents, and friends. Once you decide you want to return, you focus on the bad things about where you are and the good things about where you want to be - it's human nature. Whingeing about Oz is a protective mechanism, bit like whingeing about Poms.

And as for the comments about the heritage of Oz, remember that convicts are a lot tougher than the average person, back then their life really WAS crap in the UK, and they had no choice. Put all of those things together and it's not hard to see why they stayed.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Stuck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by willo
Done that been there, think you need to do what ever it takes....Our situation was similar but i will warn you after two months of returning we knew we had made a terrible mistake, we then have since sold up again!!! after two years back in uk and returned to sunshine coast where this time we know were we want to be. It did take that return to uk to put things in perspective though. Good luck with decision

Me and my husband are the same. Has taken the move back to the Uk to make us realise what we left behind. Although we love being back in the UK too, I think if we went back to Aus again in the future it would be much easier the second time around - we know what we are getting into (and I am an Aussie! with my huge family, 30 cousins, all living in Aus). My husband missed loads about UK and so did I. Sometimes you need to go back to get the perspective, could not agree more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.